Kelly Bryant to transfer from Clemson - Headed to Mizzou

BigOrange1

from starting in the playoff to transfering in a 9 month span:

On Sunday, coach Dabo Swinney informed Bryant that he was no longer the starting quarterback. On Tuesday, Bryant informed Swinney that he will transfer.

Under new NCAA redshirt guidelines, by leaving Clemson now, Bryant can salvage his final year of eligibility. He has not decided where he will spend it.

“I feel like it's what's best for me and my future,” Bryant said in an exclusive interview with The Greenville News. “I was just going to control what I could control and try to make the most of my opportunity, but at the end of the day, I just don't feel like I’ve gotten a fair shot.”

Bryant, a senior from Calhoun Falls, started the first four games of the season but split series with freshman Trevor Lawrence.

Bryant completed 66 percent of his pass attempts and averaged 8.6 yards per throw. Lawrence completed 63.9 percent of his attempts and averaged 9.8 yards per throw. Bryant amassed 610 yards of total offense. Lawrence compiled 631.

Bryant directed eight scoring drives. He scored four touchdowns himself. Lawrence steered 15 scoring drives. He threw nine touchdowns, including four Saturday at Georgia Tech.

he'll be a solid get for someone in this year's transfer market.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/clemson/2018/09/26/clemson-football-kelly-bryant-transfer/1427832002/

3 minutes ago, po elvis said:

i hope clemson has a backup QB who can play. actually i don't care, but they might need one.

The new current backup is Chase Brice, and he's capable enough. He could beat most teams with the surrounding pieces in place at Clemson, but probably not playoff teams. That leaves only two scholarship QBs on the roster. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I'm surprised he was benched because right now I think he's the better option.  May come back to bite Dabo in the ass.  Good thing for them the ACC is so bad this year.

Have you watched that freshman play? He's incredible. This is not Colt vs Jevan, it's Vince vs Mock.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I'm surprised he was benched because right now I think he's the better option.  May come back to bite Dabo in the ass.  Good thing for them the ACC is so bad this year.

He's been very good, but he's also more of a true dual threat QB that a team like Ohio State or Auburn would love to have. He has his limitations in the passing game, and Clemson has developed into WRU, and probably has the best WR unit in college football, so the QB has to be a solid passer. Also, if Clemson has a weakness, it's the OL, so that doesn't mesh well with a dual threat QB, as we saw against Bama in the playoffs last year. The team is just different with Lawrence in there. I think Clemson with Lawrence can beat anyone, but with Bryant the ceiling is probably the semi finals, if they get the right matchup. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

He's been very good, but he's also more of a true dual threat QB that a team like Ohio State or Auburn would love to have. He has his limitations in the passing game, and Clemson has developed into WRU, and probably has the best WR unit in college football, so the QB has to be a solid passer. Also, if Clemson has a weakness, it's the OL, so that doesn't mesh well with a dual threat QB, as we saw against Bama in the playoffs last year. The team is just different with Lawrence in there. I think Clemson with Lawrence can beat anyone, but with Bryant the ceiling is probably the semi finals, if they get the right matchup. 

I agree that Lawrence is the better player and that Bryant limits Clemson offensively. That said, you literally wrote that that wasn't the case to me on this board 3 weeks ago. What's changed for you?

The Clemson OL looks flat out bad at times. They shouldn't have struggled against ATM the way they did. The ACC is soft as charmin, and South Carolina is completely overrated due to SEC halo effect bullshit. Clemson has no excuse not go undefeated into the playoffs. At this point, however, I'd bet everything against them being able to advance past whoever the first team is that they play. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I agree that Lawrence is the better player and that Bryant limits Clemson offensively. That said, you literally wrote that that wasn't the case to me on this board 3 weeks ago. What's changed for you?

The Clemson OL looks flat out bad at times. They shouldn't have struggled against ATM the way they did. The ACC is soft as charmin, and South Carolina is completely overrated due to SEC halo effect bullshit. Clemson has no excuse not go undefeated into the playoffs. At this point, however, I'd bet everything against them being able to advance past whoever the first team is that they play. 

Yeah, I'm a big Bryant fan, but his limitations are enough that I don't think Clemson can win the national championship with him, and it's title or bust this year. 

With me, it's mostly about the OL and playcalling. The coordinators typically play a pretty conservative game and hope to out-talent and out-execute other teams, which is fine against most of the teams on the regular season schedule, but it isn't going to work in the playoffs. There's been rumors around Clemson circles that Watson checked out of a ton of plays and ended up making the coordinators look better than they were. You can see Lawrence doing this already, and it's something Bryant doesn't do. 

With the OL, it's a mess and Clemson is getting negatively recruited by a ton of programs. It's going to get worse before it gets better. If Clemson doesn't shake up the staff this year to bring in recruiting help, it's going to really hurt Clemson. Where Lawrence helps in regards to the OL, is he has a very fast release, like Watson does. He makes better reads than Bryant, and isn't as reliant on his legs. 

I don't like that he's a true freshman, and Bryant hasn't really done anything to lose his job, going 16-2 or something ridiculous, but Lawrence is the best chance at a title. 

I think the real story is the new redshirt and transfer rules. This is going to become the norm and it's going to cause problems. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

yeah the acc is awful and clemson doesn't even play miami or virginia tech.  they have until the duke game on 11/17 to get lawrence ready (at lets be serious, duke and south carolina the following week aren't really threats either).

Syracuse could give them a game.

43 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Have you watched that freshman play? He's incredible. This is not Colt vs Jevan, it's Vince vs Mock.

Not even close lol, If it weren't for Kelly Bryant, Clemson loses on the road at aggy. As a Senior, in his mind after the way he played in that game on the road compared to how Trevor played, he probably felt he won the job yet the coaching staff kept stringing out the competition. At that point he probably realized that the coaching staff didn't really want him to be the starter.

When your starting Senior QB goes on the road in your first "big" game of the season and goes 12/17 for 205 yards and a TD as well as 15 carries for 54 yards and a TD. Then the Freshman goes 5/9 for 93 yards, a TD and 2 carries for -1 yard yet somehow there is still a "competition", I don't blame him for feeling like he was jobbed.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Yeah, I'm a big Bryant fan, but his limitations are enough that I don't think Clemson can win the national championship with him, and it's title or bust this year. 

With me, it's mostly about the OL and playcalling. The coordinators typically play a pretty conservative game and hope to out-talent and out-execute other teams, which is fine against most of the teams on the regular season schedule, but it isn't going to work in the playoffs. There's been rumors around Clemson circles that Watson checked out of a ton of plays and ended up making the coordinators look better than they were. You can see Lawrence doing this already, and it's something Bryant doesn't do. 

With the OL, it's a mess and Clemson is getting negatively recruited by a ton of programs. It's going to get worse before it gets better. If Clemson doesn't shake up the staff this year to bring in recruiting help, it's going to really hurt Clemson. Where Lawrence helps in regards to the OL, is he has a very fast release, like Watson does. He makes better reads than Bryant, and isn't as reliant on his legs. 

I don't like that he's a true freshman, and Bryant hasn't really done anything to lose his job, going 16-2 or something ridiculous, but Lawrence is the best chance at a title. 

I think the real story is the new redshirt and transfer rules. This is going to become the norm and it's going to cause problems. 

Clemson- A&M is the only Tiger game I've watched this season.  Bryant was kicking ass and then Clemson brought in Lawrence, because (why???)  The offense sputtered with both guys after that.

It just seemed very 'forced' that they played Lawrence.  i know none of their in-team politics or off-field influences, but it felt very much as if some booster told Dabo it sure would be nice to see the Freshman come in and play...wink, wink.  Not saying that's at all what happened.  It just felt that way.

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

He only played in 4 games.  If he sits out the rest of the year he can use it as a RS and still have one year of eligibility left

That makes sense. I don't know why but from the way they worded it it struck me like he was salvaging the remainder of this his final year. (Which he is, of course, it will just be played next year. He got some free games this year. I'm still getting used to this new rule.)

Edited by WhatTheBuck

Perhaps this has more to do with Bryant's attitude and less to do with his skill set.  From reading that article and Bryant's comments, he sounds kind of like a whiny, self-absorbed pussy.  You're going to bail on a program you've been a part of for four years, and started 17 or so games for, and complain that you haven't gotten a fair chance?  That's just weak.

2 minutes ago, 83Horn said:

Perhaps this has more to do with Bryant's attitude and less to do with his skill set.  From reading that article and Bryant's comments, he sounds kind of like a whiny, self-absorbed pussy.  You're going to bail on a program you've been a part of for four years, and started 17 or so games for, and complain that you haven't gotten a fair chance?  That's just weak.

Imagine waiting around for your turn as a Junior and sitting behind DeShaun Watson, only to go 16-2 as a starter and be benched 4 games into your Senior season then be called a "self-absorbed pussy" on a message board...

Very rarely do I defend QB transfers but I don't blame him for feeling like he was jobbed, this whole thing has a coaches kid vibe to it, not that Trevor hasn't played well enough to start, more so he seemed to get multiple opportunities to win the job that he didn't deserve. Without Kelly Bryant Clemson is 3-1 with a road loss to aggy.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Before anybody asks, the answer is no. Don’t want to stunt the growth of Rising or Thompson or possibly entice one of our QBs to transfer.

Yeah, uh, you don’t try and protect the QB room from transfer once you have the true frosh and incoming frosh we have on campus and coming in. Someone(s) will leave. 

Next year we’ll have Sam, two guys who’ve never taken a snap and someone we’re trying to redshirt. You take a stab at a one season rental with a seasoned, playoff caliber DT QB if it’s available. The two frosh will just have to live with only getting 2-3 years to start. 

You play to win the game. Next year we’ll have a nice level of talent well placed on the development curve playing offense. A Bryant might mean a conference title/playoff darkhorse run is still alive versus another bridesmaid season of understandable failure with yoots playing QB. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Auburn makes a lot of sense.  Malzahn has made his career off of transfer QB's.  UCLA will drool over him.  Arkansas will beg for him.  But Auburn could guarantee him the starting job with a good supporting cast around him.

If Bryant is smart, he stays at Clemson through the semester.  No reason to rush the decision and Lawrence could blow out his knee at any time and Bryant could come back as the savior.

Edited by Don Johnson

47 minutes ago, 83Horn said:

Basically your stereotypical millennial 

1 hour ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

I remember reading on a Clemson board a year or two ago that the OL coach was the weak link on the staff, so it doesn't surprise me to see things playing out this way.

56 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Yeah, uh, you don’t try and protect the QB room from transfer once you have the true frosh and incoming frosh we have on campus and coming in. Someone(s) will leave. 

Next year we’ll have Sam, two guys who’ve never taken a snap and someone we’re trying to redshirt. You take a stab at a one season rental with a seasoned, playoff caliber DT QB if it’s available. The two frosh will just have to live with only getting 2-3 years to start. 

You play to win the game. Next year we’ll have a nice level of talent well placed on the development curve playing offense. A Bryant might mean a conference title/playoff darkhorse run is still alive versus another bridesmaid season of understandable failure with yoots playing QB. 

Right, the question should not be "do we want Bryant", it should be "does Bryant want us"?

1 hour ago, Texas25 said:

Not even close lol, If it weren't for Kelly Bryant, Clemson loses on the road at aggy. As a Senior, in his mind after the way he played in that game on the road compared to how Trevor played, he probably felt he won the job yet the coaching staff kept stringing out the competition. At that point he probably realized that the coaching staff didn't really want him to be the starter.

When your starting Senior QB goes on the road in your first "big" game of the season and goes 12/17 for 205 yards and a TD as well as 15 carries for 54 yards and a TD. Then the Freshman goes 5/9 for 93 yards, a TD and 2 carries for -1 yard yet somehow there is still a "competition", I don't blame him for feeling like he was jobbed.

Gracias.

Was wondering wtf some were talking about.  Biggest game so far/early in season & Bryant saved their asses vs aggy