Kelly Bryant to transfer from Clemson - Headed to Mizzou

BigOrange1

2 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

I wonder if we now have reached a day where the most prized QBs are grad transfers instead of 5 star recruits. 

Gonna be interesting.. also a Khalil Mack or Carson Wentz come to mind.  

If the SEC & others are known for dropping $50-$100k like hot cakes on unproven HS kids, the NCAA just created a flip fest of a free agent market for some late bloomers that are gonna get handsomely paid.

Better yet, 5* HS kid could play some fools like aggy for a quick $100k & turnaround and get double that for 2 years/championship run at another school

7 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Yup.

DO NOT WANT.

I sweater gawd, some of you have your panties in a wad because his transfer insults your traditional sensibilities as Joe Fan. 

His next team and teammates won’t give a damn about it if he wins for them. Bryant is simply the first high profile player to transfer in this manner. The floodgates are open and this is the new reality. 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, UcancallmeSurly said:

Gracias.

Was wondering wtf some were talking about.  Biggest game so far/early in season & Bryant saved their asses vs aggy

Mock saved Texas in 2003 vs. Okie State, didn't make it any less obvious that Vince was the Truth. This Clemson freshman was made in a lab to play QB.

1 hour ago, Caddox said:

We should be in on this kid with a fury. The only thing holding this program back is Qb play and play calling. 

This isn't Cam Newton. He's a good player but better than Junior Sam or Soph. Rising? That know this team and the schemes and the receivers? Not a chance. 

His passing #s were pedestrian last year. Sam has better #s through 4 games.  

• Like 2

Clemson could have been really nasty and informed Bryant after he played five games, but it worked out for Bryant in a way.  I think Clemson loses the A&M game without him, but I also think it's possible Lawrence by the end of the year will be a better player than Bryant would be at the same time.  I'm not sure Lawrence is better right now but he's clearly an elite talent that was a huge five star recruit for QB for a reason.

1 hour ago, UcancallmeSurly said:

Gracias.

Was wondering wtf some were talking about.  Biggest game so far/early in season & Bryant saved their asses vs aggy

But then last week Lawrence was 13/18 for 176 yards with 4 TDs & 1 INT while Bryant was 6/10 for 56 yards.

I listened to the Clemson game last week and it just seemed, during that game, that the offense was much better with Lawrence. Just my $0.02.

19 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This isn't Cam Newton. He's a good player but better than Junior Sam or Soph. Rising? That know this team and the schemes and the receivers? Not a chance. 

I Agee. Too much downside to bringing him in. 

25 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Mock saved Texas in 2003 vs. Okie State, didn't make it any less obvious that Vince was the Truth. This Clemson freshman was made in a lab to play QB.

And acknowledged.   Responded to those who thought Bryant was being outplayed.. haven’t seen their other games but that wasn’t the case vs aggy

22 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

I bet he ends up at Florida to play for Mullen.  To me it makes the most sense. Close geographically,  Mullen is a great QB coach and UF is the type of program that won’t be down long. He could make them good immediately. 

Scam Newton 2.0. At one point Mullen had Tebow, Leak, and Newton under him.

009.JPG

I hope so because Florida is my other favorite team lol

132.jpg

2 minutes ago, UcancallmeSurly said:

And acknowledged.   Responded to those who thought Bryant was being outplayed.. haven’t seen their other games but that wasn’t the case vs aggy

We will see what happens with the true freshman in MEANINGFUL snaps against a real defense. Maybe after they are done with ACC we will see it lol.

21 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This.  Hard as it may be for some to believe - Sam is having a better year this year than Bryant did for an incredibly talented Clemson team last year.

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This.  Hard as it may be for some to believe - Sam is having a better year this year than Bryant did for an incredibly talented Clemson team last year.

Just look at what Deshaun did with that offense one year prior. Fucking absurd numbers across the board.

He and Vince deserve honorary Heisman's. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

But then last week Lawrence was 13/18 for 176 yards with 4 TDs & 1 INT while Bryant was 6/10 for 56 yards.

I listened to the Clemson game last week and it just seemed, during that game, that the offense was much better with Lawrence. Just my $0.02.

Pretty much this.  I don't begrudge this kid.  He put in his time behind D. Watson.  Didn't make waves from what I saw.  Got his chance finally with a STABLE of legit receivers.  Then get's bumped for a freshman.  Kid wants to play and try and showcase his talents for the NFL.  I don't think he's a QB at the next level, but what do I know?  If he came here and lead us to a 10 or 11-win season and a good bowl, we'd be ecstatic.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I agree that Lawrence is the better player and that Bryant limits Clemson offensively. That said, you literally wrote that that wasn't the case to me on this board 3 weeks ago. What's changed for you?

The Clemson OL looks flat out bad at times. They shouldn't have struggled against ATM the way they did. The ACC is soft as charmin, and South Carolina is completely overrated due to SEC halo effect bullshit. Clemson has no excuse not go undefeated into the playoffs. At this point, however, I'd bet everything against them being able to advance past whoever the first team is that they play. 

Perhaps he was wrong in his QB eval. You should probably empathize, smart guy. 

15 minutes ago, HuskiesHorns said:

I think Sam's stats are not a good indicator yet.

he's played against 3 shitty defenses and 1 good quarter of an exhausted tcu defense

Maryland is ranked 51st in defensive efficiency

Tulsa is 95th

USC is 77th

TCU is 14th

Avg Defensive Efficiency rank for the 1st 4 opponents is 59.25

Clemson has played an FCS team and the 62nd, 63rd, and 89th ranked FBS defenses (by Defensive Efficiency) for an avg of 71.3 (not counting the FCS).

According to Sagarin, Texas has the 12th highest rated SOS.  Clemson's schedule is 63rd.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Like 2

I don't know about this being a new reality. Especially not transfers 4 games into the season. The ability to transfer and maintain a full year of eligibility despite playing a partial season stems from the NCAA trying to help injured players or back-ups who had their redshirt blown late not lose an entire year of eligibility. The loophole gives the students a lot of power over a coach so I have to think they'll attempt to close this loophole next season. 

4 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Auburn makes a lot of sense.  Malzahn has made his career off of transfer QB's.  UCLA will drool over him.  Arkansas will beg for him.  But Auburn could guarantee him the starting job with a good supporting cast around him.

If Bryant is smart, he stays at Clemson through the semester.  No reason to rush the decision and Lawrence could blow out his knee at any time and Bryant could come back as the savior.

Thought Auburn made perfect sense, but didn't realize Stidham has another year and that decision won't be made until January.

1 hour ago, Rex Kramer said:

Perhaps he was wrong in his QB eval. You should probably empathize, smart guy. 

Well, he said he overrated Bryant. I've been pretty consistent in my views that Ehlinger is fundamentally average in every area except for his football IQ, which is exceptionally low. I know you think one game invalidates that position, but I'll stick to my guns. I'll sympathize when I'm wrong. 

I appreciate the humor in watching you reference the term "empathy" though. It's almost as though you think you understand the concept.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Well, he said he overrated Bryant. I've been pretty consistent in my views that Ehlinger is fundamentally average in every area except for his football IQ, which is exceptionally low. I know you think one game invalidates that position, but I'll stick to my guns. I'll sympathize when I'm wrong. 

I appreciate the humor in watching you reference the term "empathy" though. It's almost as though you think you understand the concept.

What’s wrong pal?  Are you not an empathetic person?  I certainly think you are. 

4 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Yeah, uh, you don’t try and protect the QB room from transfer once you have the true frosh and incoming frosh we have on campus and coming in. Someone(s) will leave. 

Next year we’ll have Sam, two guys who’ve never taken a snap and someone we’re trying to redshirt. You take a stab at a one season rental with a seasoned, playoff caliber DT QB if it’s available. The two frosh will just have to live with only getting 2-3 years to start. 

You play to win the game. Next year we’ll have a nice level of talent well placed on the development curve playing offense. A Bryant might mean a conference title/playoff darkhorse run is still alive versus another bridesmaid season of understandable failure with yoots playing QB. 

Even if you're sitting there thinking Johnson can roll out there as a true frosh next year and you won't be shirting him, you still have to take a stab at a proven playoff level QB play,  right?

Unless this staff thinks/knows Rising is the next coming, they have to take a shot at Bryant. 

Just my initial reaction.

Edited by UncleBuck

16 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Even if you're sitting there thinking Johnson can roll out there as a true frosh next year and you won't be shirting him, you still have to take a stab at a proven playoff level QB play,  right?

Unless this staff thinks/knows Rising is the next coming, they have to take a shot at Bryant. 

Just my initial reaction.

Rising might be the next thing, but they’d be foolish to put all their eggs in that basket if there were an option available to mitigate the risk. 

We agree. You play to win now. You recruit to win now. If you recruitnreally well for a few years you may have the luxury to to recruit to keep winning later. 

We recruited you to win now, and tomorrow we’re going to try our best by hook or crook to find someone to replace you. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

I think the real story is the new redshirt and transfer rules. This is going to become the norm and it's going to cause problems. 

So true.

Ok St just lost one of their best receivers, Jalen McCleskey, to the new rule because he felt he was not getting the ball enough.   

23 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Rising might be the next thing, but they’d be foolish to put all their eggs in that basket if there were an option available to mitigate the risk. 

We agree. You play to win now. You recruit to win now. If you recruitnreally well for a few years you may have the luxury to to recruit to keep winning later. 

We recruited you to win now, and tomorrow we’re going to try our best by hook or crook to find someone to replace you. 

After the QB shit-show we've endured over the last decade, I think we have some latitude to be liberal with our QB recruiting.  At the position of must-have, we've missed so many times by thinking a certain players was "the guy"....starting with Squints.  It's been arguably our biggest issue, so taking multiple players YOY is a must at this point.  Ash had promise, but injuries held him back.  Herp-a-Derp was the Ag-slayer, then Heard gave us hope, only to realize his limitations.  Then Shane seemed so promising, now to fall on Sam's shoulders.  

At the very least I wish we had a system in place where we could settle on a particular type of player.  Vacillating between DT or pro-style, and back again isn't helping.  

47 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Yah. I get that the QB room is the "best QB room Texas has had in a long time" or whatever we hear, but we've only seen Shane and Sam play, that's it. Seeing just those two, I don't think it's ridiculous for a fan to think they may need to upgrade that for next season. 

13 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Yah. I get that the QB room is the "best QB room Texas has had in a long time" or whatever we hear, but we've only seen Shane and Sam play, that's it. Seeing just those two, I don't think it's ridiculous for a fan to think they may need to upgrade that for next season. 

*given an easy opportunity

Overall I think Dabo is an idiot. Weird press conferences talking about sleeping with mama and shit. Just a goofy bastard. Not to mention it took him almost 5 years, and a woodshed ass whippin’ from the Mountaineers to discover the power of IPTAY. I wasn’t living here a fucking month and knew of their connections to Charlie Pell and the recruiting of the Perry brothers.

But, in this case he handled as well as any coach could have. I would guess he feels pretty confident that his roster is stronger then any regular season opponent. And would probably win regardless of who was behind center. So go ahead and get the kid some meaningful reps before the possible playoff.

Besides, with Tua lighting it up, Dabo almost has no choice but to go with the kid. Simply because he has an NFL arm. Dabo is just playing the long game, hoping he doesn’t find himself in another game like last years Syracuse match up. That is when he would get second guessed by his fan base for not having some experience on the bench.

And if one is honest, if you’re going to have a problem, that is pretty damn good problem to have. Beats the shit out of rolling a stiff out there and hoping for a 40 yard herp-a-derp miracle.

44 minutes ago, Hamttx said:

Overall I think Dabo is an idiot. Weird press conferences talking about sleeping with mama and shit. Just a goofy bastard. Not to mention it took him almost 5 years, and a woodshed ass whippin’ from the Mountaineers to discover the power of IPTAY. I wasn’t living here a fucking month and knew of their connections to Charlie Pell and the recruiting of the Perry brothers.

But, in this case he handled as well as any coach could have. I would guess he feels pretty confident that his roster is stronger then any regular season opponent. And would probably win regardless of who was behind center. So go ahead and get the kid some meaningful reps before the possible playoff.

Besides, with Tua lighting it up, Dabo almost has no choice but to go with the kid. Simply because he has an NFL arm. Dabo is just playing the long game, hoping he doesn’t find himself in another game like last years Syracuse match up. That is when he would get second guessed by his fan base for not having some experience on the bench.

And if one is honest, if you’re going to have a problem, that is pretty damn good problem to have. Beats the shit out of rolling a stiff out there and hoping for a 40 yard herp-a-derp miracle.

Clemson isn't gonna touch Bama with Bryant at the helm. The offense is noticeably more explosive with sunshine back there.

10 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

I'm surprised he was benched because right now I think he's the better option.  May come back to bite Dabo in the ass.  Good thing for them the ACC is so bad this year.

Dabo did the honorable thing by making this decision now and giving Bryant the option to transfer given that he's already graduated. 

10 hours ago, slorch said:

Clemson- A&M is the only Tiger game I've watched this season.  Bryant was kicking ass and then Clemson brought in Lawrence, because (why???)  The offense sputtered with both guys after that.

It just seemed very 'forced' that they played Lawrence.  i know none of their in-team politics or off-field influences, but it felt very much as if some booster told Dabo it sure would be nice to see the Freshman come in and play...wink, wink.  Not saying that's at all what happened.  It just felt that way.

I think the biggest problem with the QB rotation during Clemson vs. aggy was that it prevented either player from really getting into a groove. As soon as Bryant started looking comfortable, he got swapped out for Lawrence. Lawrence came in and threw an absolutely beautiful bomb for a TD on his first or second snap. Then, Lawrence is able to move the ball a little bit, starting to look comfortable and... he gets yanked and in comes Bryant. My understanding is that part of the reason Clemson was able to get Lawrence on board is because they promised him significant playing time as a freshman.

However, I'm not sure that was the game to do it because it almost really bit them against aggy. And while I don't necessarily disagree with whoever said that Clemson loses to aggy without Bryant, I also think it's hard to tell because neither player ever got a real chance to get into a rhythm until they finally stuck with Bryant towards the end. I do think it's possible that Lawrence could have gotten his sea legs after a couple of series and absolutely lit aggy on fire. BUT, after that first throw, he certainly did start to look overwhelmed - e.g. like a true freshman in his first game on the road. I also think that Bryant's scrambling ability really bailed Clemson out in the face of their OL woes. So, in the end, that statement is probably right.

That said, Lawrence looks like he is going to be special with a few more years of experience. I agree that Clemson's ceiling this year is probably the first round of the playoff, but if Lawrence really starts to get it and they get better OL play, I think they have a chance against anyone.

• Like 2