Fuck You Petrino

Buzzrock

There's not a lot that can surprise me when it comes to college athletics, but Petrino coming back to Arkansas is pretty unbelievable. Dude was handing out jobs and cash to his sidepiece and lied to his bosses about it. 

"Our expectations of character and integrity in our employees can be no less than what we expect of our students," Long said. "No single individual is bigger than the team, the Razorback football program of the University of Arkansas."

On the positive side for piggy students, I guess they can all plan on banging the volleyball team

12 hours ago, Blotto said:

There's not a lot that can surprise me when it comes to college athletics, but Petrino coming back to Arkansas is pretty unbelievable. Dude was handing out jobs and cash to his sidepiece and lied to his bosses about it. 

On the positive side for piggy students, I guess they can all plan on banging the volleyball team

I am amazed how little play we’re seeing about this.  The weirdness of it and the absolute cuckold it makes Arkansas.  Fired by a school you actively tried to leave and then basically defrauded - who fired you midseason despite you being an acknowledged “offensive genius” who established them as residents of the top 10 for the first time in recent memory.  

They then turn around and hire you back when your “offensive genius” label is somewhat tarnished to say the least, even though you’ve shown that you haven’t changed when you fucked over UNLV last year. 

I shouldn't be surprised at all that they actually brought him back after what happened years ago, but yet I am.

It's going to end badly one way or another.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if after sleeping on this, they decide to rescind the job offer.  Then again, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Petrino ends up as the head coach sometime within the next year.

10 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I shouldn't be surprised at all that they actually brought him back after what happened years ago, but yet I am.

It's going to end badly one way or another.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if after sleeping on this, they decide to rescind the job offer.  Then again, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Petrino ends up as the head coach sometime within the next year.

As someone addicted to Arky misery:

anger-management-jack-nicholson.gif

4 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Fired by a school you actively tried to leave and then basically defrauded - who fired you midseason despite you being an acknowledged “offensive genius” who established them as residents of the top 10 for the first time in recent memory. 

He never tried to leave.  He was fired in April.  He didn't get a dollar of his buyout.

It's all kinds of messed up that this man was brought back to that school. It wasn't the affair, as low as that is, it is with whom and the manner in which he installed her in his office; an offense which should end up with termination of employment, never to return. AD Long (at the time) did fire Petrino, but that the new(ish) AD Yurachek and coach Pittman would be on board with bringing someone fired (with cause and what a cause it was) back is insane.

It's all kinds of messed up that this man was brought back to that school. It wasn't the affair, as low as that is, it is with whom and the manner in which he installed her in his office; an offense which should end up with termination of employment, never to return. AD Long (at the time) did fire Petrino, but that the new(ish) AD Yurachek and coach Pittman would be on board with bringing someone fired (with cause and what a cause it was) back is insane.

Petrino has apologized sincerely to the fans and the state. He paid a huge price and did not sue the school for his buyout. He admitted he got supremely arrogant and stupid. His wife stayed with him and he’s had some other challenges. Freeze and a number of others have done worse and not been punished as much as he was.

It’s been 13 years. A lot of murderers don’t serve that long. Anyway, I think it was a perfect hire for Pittman who can hand everything over to Petrino running the offense. It gets a real coordinator in there that might can save Pittman’s job if he can generate some offense. The up and comers like Marion would be perfect but would balk at going to a coach on the hot seat.

I have issues with several other coaches as well. But it's not like he was unemployed afterwards. I'm happy that he is/was contrite and that his marriage weathered the storm, but he's also a millionaire who twists and turns based on who's flashing the shiny in front of him. Seems like a risky proposition. But time will tell I guess.

7 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Its been 11.5 years.  He's been employed by 4 different schools without issue in that time period.  He's not coming back to be the HC.  He's not running the program.  He's not hiring staff positions.  He's coming back in a lesser role as an assistant coach.  

If things didn't work out for Sarkisian at Texas, would it be "all kinds of messed up" if later in his career he was hired as the OC at USC?

10 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Its been 11.5 years.  He's been employed by 4 different schools without issue in that time period.  He's not coming back to be the HC.  He's not running the program.  He's not hiring staff positions.  He's coming back in a lesser role as an assistant coach.  

If things didn't work out for Sarkisian at Texas, would it be "all kinds of messed up" if later in his career he was hired as the OC at USC?

He'd better coach his ass off is all i can say. It just looks worse if they end up sucking again and the entire coaching staff gets fired.

5 minutes ago, YChang said:

Boy... your definition of didn't work out may be quite different from most. 

The point didn’t have anything to do with Texas. It was about it being “messed up” if he returned to USC years later as an assistant, after being fired “with cause” as HC. 

IMO, that wouldn’t be messed up. It’s been years since that happened. He’s worked at numerous universities since then without issue. 

The only reason I mentioned “if things don’t work out at Texas” is because that’s the only way he’d ever be an OC again.  But things certainly didn’t work out for him at USC. And that’s not a quite different definition than most. 

6 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

He'd better coach his ass off is all i can say. It just looks worse if they end up sucking again and the entire coaching staff gets fired.

The odds are the coaching staff does get fired in a year. That’s usually what happens the year after a coach saves his job by replacing coordinators. 

I suppose I judge Sarkisian differently with respect to his personal issue. While USC deemed it cause for termination, he sought treatment etc etc correct? If they wish to rehire I would place that as their decision, as ultimately it is Arkansas' to rehire Petrino. I judge Petrino more harshly, sure. I admit that.

40 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Arky shitcanning Robert Paulson halfway through next season and installing Petrino as HC has gotta be the play. They couldn't bring Petrino back as HC directly, but they'll give him the  interim gig mid-season, praise him for his service to the school, and remove the interim title by 25. Its Arkansas, nobody will be surprised. Hell, we're all expecting it. And yes, I realize I'm tossing the word "school" around quite loosely.