10/14 AP Top 25 Poll... Texas is #7

The Tower

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

Georgia hasn’t beaten anyone worth a shit. And we’ve won 6 in a row, including 3 wins over ranked teams. Fuck Georgia and fuck the fake-ass SEC. 

Sigh, I get it. You’re super fans and your team is world beaters while everyone in the shitty SEC sucks except Alabama.

But the truth is half the SEC could probably beat Texas right now on any given day.  UT struggled against Tulsa and Baylor and looked bad in a loss against Maryland. 

Yeah, Georgia hasn’t beaten any top ten teams but the teams they did beat (Tenn, South Carolina, Mizzou, Vandy) the games were never in doubt.  They were all blowouts. 

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 10

6 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Really don’t see how Texas should be ahead of Georgia but whatever.  Nice bounce back from Maryland 

Georgia got mudholed by LSU, not even an afterfart of competition . 

Somewhat suspect team after all the sec buildup. LSU not a great offensive power either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sigh, I get it. You’re super fans and your team is world beaters while everyone in the shitty SEC sucks except Alabama.
But the truth is half the SEC could probably beat Texas right now on any given day.  UT struggled against Tulsa and Baylor and looked bad in a loss against Maryland. 
Yeah, Georgia hasn’t beaten any top ten teams but the teams they did beat (Tenn, South Carolina, Mizzou, Vandy) the games were never in doubt.  They were all blowouts. 

We all know that we play up and down to the comp. we’d compete well vs. UGA and LSU but would lose to Vanderbilt.

12 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

LSU and Florida are pretty good and Georgia is ok. Everybody else does suck. I'm curious which 3 suckass teams your dumbass thinks are better.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Not better but could compete:

Auburn, Kentucky, Mississippi State

Auburn... Tyrone Swoopes and Jerrod Heard could start for Kentucky and neither of them play QB anymore. Mississippi State? If we played them in Starkville it would be a coin flip.

Edited by Texas25

Truth be told, Texas is probably not as good as the rankings indicate, but they have continued to win. This years team has found a way to hold on to leads and win the close game, which we couldn't do in years past. At the end of the day, it is about W's and L's and right now, Texas has as many W's as the rest of the teams in the top 10. There will be another round of upsets in the coming weeks, and the real question is can the Horns escape that weekend as well?

• Like 1

Imagine that you spent over a quarter of $1 billion on a new football stadium and coach. Imagine that your entire self worth is based upon your school’s superiority over that school that wouldn’t even admit you. I don’t mind being overranked. Aggy tears are special. 

• Fuck You 1

Everyone said tOSU wasn’t good in 2002 because they barely beat the teams they faced. But at the end of the year they barely beat Miami in the MNC game, and even though sweatervest was run out of town on a rail a few seasons later, that is still counted as a NC. 

We could certainly look better, but with one exception this season we have found a way to win no matter the competition. 

And really, our one loss isn’t as bad as it looked in week one, and our wins are better than most of the top 10. Put us on a neutral field, and I don’t think we get boat raced by anyone in the top 10, and we probably pull off a few upsets. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hornian said:

Everyone said tOSU wasn’t good in 2002 because they barely beat the teams they faced. But at the end of the year they barely beat Miami in the MNC game, and even though sweatervest was run out of town on a rail a few seasons later, that is still counted as a NC. 

We could certainly look better, but with one exception this season we have found a way to win no matter the competition. 

And really, our one loss isn’t as bad as it looked in week one, and our wins are better than most of the top 10. Put us on a neutral field, and I don’t think we get boat raced by anyone in the top 10, and we probably pull off a few upsets. 

Exactly. 

The problem with "We're Texas" is how people define it. We used to beat the shit out of inferior competition because style points mattered in the BCS conversation. We used to really clobber the directional schools based on athletic talent alone. Somehow, people view a 12 point hard nose victory in a different light than winning by 4 TDs. Why? Because Bama does it now? Fuck Bama. We are at least 2 more years away from fielding a talented team like that, which is exactly why the CFP talk is silly. Could we streak and pull off some upsets? Sure we could. But we are still not a complete team. The only difference between this year and the last 2 is that we've learned how to close out games. Outside of the TCU games, we didn't lose by more than 10 points against any opponent. We still don't have a consistent kicker. Our defense gives us big plays every game. Our offense is led by a would-be Tailback slinging the ball around. We've simply beaten the teams on our schedule, which you have to admit, haven't been that elite. TCU is not the TCU we've come to know, USC may be the tallest midget in the Pac-12 and ou has serious questions on defense with a great offense. 

But, we're 6-1. It doesn't matter how we got there, but it's a hell of a lot better than being 2-4 like we had hoped for after the Maryland game.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hornian said:

Sweatervest tried to win every game by 10-3.  I think his teams were a bit easier to rank.

23 hours ago, ztejas said:

I would take OSU by 2 scores over the Tigers.

To me it is them and Bama and then everyone else.

While Bama has shown a decline in their run defense, it's nothing compared to the problems that the Buckeyes are having defending the run.  Oregon St ran for 196 yards on them.  Minnesota hit 178 yards and TCU over 200 along with Pedo State.  The only thing masking the weakness here is that they shut down Tulane, Indiana and Rutgers on the ground.

Alabama looks like a clear #1 with a bunch of badly flawed teams chasing them.

25 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Alabama lost at LSU. Alabama has looked great but I'm surprised at the quality of their opposition - aggy is their best win to date. 

This would be good if only for the reason that the SEC CG loser is guaranteed to be out of the playoff

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Oregon St ran for 196 yards on them.

...and the other OSU ran for almost 400 and hung 77 points.

Their worst game was against TCU. Outside of that they've been pretty clearly the 2nd best team in the country imo. Clemson has played a fucking dog-shit schedule and struggled against the only 2 relevant P5 teams they've played. 

ND? C'mon. UCF? Impossible to judge. 

Everyone else has a loss. OSU doesn't look like world-beaters that are going to go undefeated but I sure as shit wouldn't want to play them in a CFP game. 

18 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

We kicked the dogshit out of what might become the eventual pac12 champ (seriously... go back and watch that game. The 2nd half was close to being a heinous ass-whipping) and then kicked the dogshit out of a team that hung with tOSU for 4 quarters and could have won. 

Oh yeah... then we beat an undefeated top 10 OU team that I guarantee you will finish 10-2 on the season and likely sneak into the top 10. 

This isn't the team that lost to Maryland. Outside of Bama, LSU and Georgia I honestly don't think any team in the SEC is well-coached or physical enough to where I would favor them or even make it a coin flip on a neutral site. (edit: did you see what we did to Mizzou last year?)

Texas is well-coached, young, talented, good at winning, and we will fuck you up if you let us. 

This isn't some smoke and mirrors bullshit, we've won 6 straight against a group that will collectively finish well above .500. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You know how I know the fucking Politics board on this site is a cesspool of circle-jerking dipshittery? Because this fucking rube has like 2900 up votes. What a fucking shithole that place has to be for clowns like this guy to be among the apparently most respected. He's a fucking LSU honk with a penchant for paranoia and myopia. Ridiculous.

I'd consider repping this if you weren't such a cunt yourself. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

so anyway...

rankings irrelevant at this juncture folks.  everything shakes out if we just win.  presuming wins at stillwater and lubbock, as well as wins against wv and isu after last weekend's shitshow reminding us the kstate, tulsa, and maryland version of texas is still out there waiting to play up or down to their opponents is of much greater concern.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

We kicked the dogshit out of what might become the eventual pac12 champ (seriously... go back and watch that game. The 2nd half was close to being a heinous ass-whipping) and then kicked the dogshit out of a team that hung with tOSU for 4 quarters and could have won. 

Oh yeah... then we beat an undefeated top 10 OU team that I guarantee you will finish 10-2 on the season and likely sneak into the top 10. 

This isn't the team that lost to Maryland. Outside of Bama, LSU and Georgia I honestly don't think any team in the SEC is well-coached or physical enough to where I would favor them or even make it a coin flip on a neutral site. (edit: did you see what we did to Mizzou last year?)

Texas is well-coached, young, talented, good at winning, and we will fuck you up if you let us. 

This isn't some smoke and mirrors bullshit, we've won 6 straight against a group that will collectively finish well above .500. 

Hey, I want Texas to succeed and I think it’s coming together but if you want a realistic perspective, you have to evaluate the shortcomings just as much as the moments of glory.

LSU is kinda going through a similar phase right now too in that we’re not sure how good we are or could be this season.

LSU already has three wins over top 10 teams but looked like dogshit against Florida so it’s still uncertain how far they can go and I had no expectations LSU would be 6-1 at this point. 

Will LSU beat Alabama? I doubt it but that will be the ultimate test. 

I’ll be pulling for Texas to make the playoffs but from what I’ve seen I wouldn’t be surprised if they lost one or two to teams they shouldn’t lose to.

JMO

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

34 minutes ago, Nick Nolte said:

It's week 8.

In week 8 of the 2007 season, South Florida had risen from unranked pre-season to #2. By week 11, South Florida was unranked again. 

Maybe we should pump the breaks a bit.

2007 was also fucking insane. Another chaos season would be rad though.

33 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Hey, I want Texas to succeed and I think it’s coming together but if you want a realistic perspective, you have to evaluate the shortcomings just as much as the moments of glory.

LSU is kinda going through a similar phase right now too in that we’re not sure how good we are or could be this season.

LSU already has three wins over top 10 teams but looked like dogshit against Florida so it’s still uncertain how far they can go and I had no expectations LSU would be 6-1 at this point. 

Will LSU beat Alabama? I doubt it but that will be the ultimate test. 

I’ll be pulling for Texas to make the playoffs but from what I’ve seen I wouldn’t be surprised if they lost one or two to teams they shouldn’t lose to.

JMO

The only shortcoming was losing to Maryland and letting Tulsa hang with us for a half. TCU, USC and OU were obviously all great wins. KState was exorcising demons (think... winning a close one in Starkville. Or not. You would know, you're an LSU fan).

Baylor doesn't actually suck - they might have an outside shot at 6-6 - and obviously we are going to struggle when the best QB we've had in a decade only plays 4 snaps.

@Tech makes me nervous. Okie Lite is trash and has never beaten us when we're worth a shit and they aren't (at least not in my lifetime). WVU we will be favored and it should be apparent we are the better team when firing on all cylinders.

I think 10-2 is most likely for this team, but I think it's more likely we finish 11-1 than 9-3. I just don't see two losses left on the schedule. 

• Like 1

I'm pretty confident we are as physical as any team in the SEC. Depth is an issue and that could hurt us but if we lined against LSU,  uga, uf, I am confident it would be a game we could win if healthy.  A game against Mississippi state and even aggy would worry me more with the quarterbacks ability to run as that has snakebit us from time to time.  With all that said,  we're not giving up shit to starting running backs. It will take a running qb to get to us.  

On offense, we would have to finish drives and get nasty like we have shown in spades and avoid dumb panalties and idiototic 3rd down calls. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

We are also a play away from losing to Tulsa, KSU, ou and Baylor. We could be 2-5, with pitchforks out, just as easily as we are 6-1.

This isn't worth a neg but we were not a play away from losing to Tulsa. Did you watch that game or are you just looking at final scores?

Also - gonna bring something up that is something that distinguishes good teams from great ones.

You are a good team in the Big 12 if you can win the game down one score with 2 mins to play. If you can consistently win one score games with your DEFENSE on the field you are a team that fucking no one wants to try and beat in the fourth quarter.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Your Pom Poms are showing.

USC is currently in the “others receiving votes”. They will lose 4 games this year, including ND, and haven’t beaten anyone of merit. (UW was obviously a “paper champ”) ou doesn’t have anyone left on the schedule worth a shit. They will go 10-2 because they will get upset by Tech or WVU. They are a talented offensive team with a mediocre defense. They played Army, FL Atlantic and winless UCLA in their ooc schedule, which accounts for half of their victories. With their recruiting classes, they should out-athlete their remaining schedule. If we do our job, we’ll see them again in Dallas for Round 2. 

I love Sam, but have you watched our offense play? We need extensive work on that side of the ball. The SEC is all about defense first. We would get straight up manhandled by Bama, Georgia, Florida and LSU right now. Especially when we don’t have consistency in the kicking game to put points on the board. 

Daisy chaining games is dumb. We were also a play away from losing to Tulsa and Baylor at home. TCU keeping up with tOSU doesn’t mean anything other than they are a .500 team we beat.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

2 hours ago, The Dog said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Alabama lost at LSU. Alabama has looked great but I'm surprised at the quality of their opposition - aggy is their best win to date. 

There's a sentence that hasn't ever been made in reference to a decent team

2 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

This would be good if only for the reason that the SEC CG loser is guaranteed to be out of the playoff

Yes, but if LSU beats Bama, then Bama will make the CFP as the 2nd SEC team along with the SEC champ.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

We are like 2-3 passes and several missed FGs away from being undefeated with 4-5 double digit wins.

We are also a few plays and a made FG away from being 4-3, or even 3-4

Anyone talking about the CFP for Texas needs to be beaten about the head and shoulders with an aggy jizz jar.  I'm following Tom's advice and worrying about going 1-0 next week.  This season is already way ahead of where any sane person thought it would be after the Maryland game so let's just enjoy it while it lasts.  If we get ahead ourselves, it sure as shit will fall apart.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

There's a sentence that hasn't ever been made in reference to a decent team

Yes, but if LSU beats Bama, then Bama will make the CFP as the 2nd SEC team along with the SEC champ.

We are also a few plays and a made FG away from being 4-3, or even 3-4

Anyone talking about the CFP for Texas needs to be beaten about the head and shoulders with an aggy jizz jar.  I'm following Tom's advice and worrying about going 1-0 next week.  This season is already way ahead of where any sane person thought it would be after the Maryland game so let's just enjoy it while it lasts.  If we get ahead ourselves, it sure as shit will fall apart.

Agreed. Despite being #7 we wouldn't even be worth mentioning in a top 4 talk were it to happen right now. BEST case scenario for this team is just being able to get our hat somewhere near the table come December.

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This isn't worth a neg but we were not a play away from losing to Tulsa. Did you watch that game or are you just looking at final scores?

Also - gonna bring something up that is something that distinguishes good teams from great ones.

You are a good team in the Big 12 if you can win the game down one score with 2 mins to play. If you can consistently win one score games with your DEFENSE on the field you are a team that fucking no one wants to try and beat in the fourth quarter.

I did watch the game. We were up by a TD before sustaining a drive in the 4th that lasted 1/2 of the quarter to chew up the clock. I can stipulate that Tulsa was 2 plays away, but I think you get the overall point. We weren’t dominant. We allowed a 5 play 75 yard drive after going up two scores to close things out. Had Tulsa not missed 3 FGs in the first half, that may have been problematic. Tulsa scored a TD on 3 of 5 possessions in the 2nd half.

I’m not suggesting suggesting that we’re not a good team. Good teams find a way to win.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

USC is currently in the “others receiving votes”. They will lose 4 games this year, including ND, and haven’t beaten anyone of merit.

USC is young and getting better. But you clearly don't follow them. They will go 9-3 and be a top 15 team come December with their only losses being @Stanford, @Texas and @oSU.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

You know how I know the fucking Politics board on this site is a cesspool of circle-jerking dipshittery? Because this fucking rube has like 2900 up votes. What a fucking shithole that place has to be for clowns like this guy to be among the apparently most respected. He's a fucking LSU honk with a penchant for paranoia and myopia. Ridiculous.

Who let that guy out of CR? I DEMAND ANSWERS!!!!!!!!!

43 minutes ago, ztejas said:

USC is young and getting better. But you clearly don't follow them. They will go 9-3 and be a top 15 team come December with their only losses being @Stanford, @Texas and @oSU.

USC is losing this week @Utah, and they will likely lose to ND as well. I dunno which game @oSU is.

Edited by Atticus