Christmas Albums

Horn_Spanker

Right. That's my point. The 50s, 60s crooner types like Deano, Sammy Davis Jr, Nat King Cole, Sinatra, hell even Elvis. Christmas songs weren't that far off from their existing genres. Guys like the Beach Boys and Willie were doing Christmas albums at the height of their popularity. Modern artists tend to do them on the downslope of their careers (Dylan, Rod Stewart, Clapton). Plus most modern Christmas albums just plain suck.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Right. That's my point. The 50s, 60s crooner types like Deano, Sammy Davis Jr, Nat King Cole, Sinatra, hell even Elvis. Christmas songs weren't that far off from their existing genres. Guys like the Beach Boys and Willie were doing Christmas albums at the height of their popularity. Modern artists tend to do them on the downslope of their careers (Dylan, Rod Stewart, Clapton). Plus most modern Christmas albums just plain suck.

Very true. 

We listen to this album every year coming home from Thanksgiving at my in-laws.  I tend to like hard rock/ metal, but this sucker just sounds like Christmastime to me.  Might be eligible for "Things about which i am slightly Embarrassed" thread.

When Love Came Down may be my alltime favorite Christmas song.

R-2031309-1259637904.jpeg.jpg

20 hours ago, Horn_Spanker said:

I've always thought that when an artist produces a Christmas album, they've jumped the shark.  Today I see Eric Clapton has a new album out called Happy Xmas.  Sad day.

This dork jumped the shark a whole helluva lot earlier than his Christmas record

Image result for eric clapton 1980s

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

thread bump apropos the seasons. 

my favorite Christmas song versions.  when i hear these songs, i can think of no others who sing it as well, except maybe the Christmas Waltz by peggy lee.  her version comes a close second to sinatra's.

Edited by crash_davis