2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

The vision of some smartass NBA player testing this theory out in the near future at the end of a blowout game is too good to pass up. I hope someone does it.

Although I'm assuming the actual wording of the rules allows the refs to differentiate between "intentional loss of control" and actual loss of control.

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The vision of some smartass NBA player testing this theory out in the near future at the end of a blowout game is too good to pass up. I hope someone does it.

Although I'm assuming the actual wording of the rules allows the refs to differentiate between "intentional loss of control" and actual loss of control.

Same here.   I would LOVE to see someone try it and then when asked point that stupid ass tweet

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

i'd like to see LeBron do it on the first possession of his next game.

Edited by Goo Punch

Am I the only one weirded out by the standing ovations these basketball players are getting?

Why would 33 year old me give Marc a standing ovation for entering the basketball game in his first game as a raptor. Same with Jeremy lin.

Im sure dwyane wade is getting the same treatment and hed be near the bottom of the list of players I'd stand up for next to Draymond and cp3

Draymond gets away more than enough shit.   Fuck him.   Kerr is just standing up for his guy but he sounds silly saying he gets reffed differently.   On top of all that he gets away with, he gets a ridiculous amount of leeway with his yelling/cursing/gesturing at the refs

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Am I the only one weirded out by the standing ovations these basketball players are getting?

Why would 33 year old me give Marc a standing ovation for entering the basketball game in his first game as a raptor. Same with Jeremy lin.

Im sure dwyane wade is getting the same treatment and hed be near the bottom of the list of players I'd stand up for next to Draymond and cp3

Fan is short for fanatic

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I think there are a lot of NBA players for whom that would not be a flagrant, but I have no sympathy for Draymond.

Roughly all of them. But yeah, too damn bad.

Kerr was probably smiling as soon as he was out of camera view. Just a perfect chance to stick up for his guys right before a nice vacation.

Man, if the Lakers miss out on the playoffs because of a cross-town rival that just traded its best player, and doesn't want to win so they can keep their lottery protected draft pick...

I wish they'd just do Luke a favor and fire him now. No point being a lame duck the rest of the season. Vegas favorites for his replacement are Jason Kidd and Mark Jackson...good luck with that.

Celtics are 9-2 without Kyrie this year. They played better without him prior to this season. He will never make a team better. He road the coattails of Lebron those years (even though you had idiots say he was a big reason for their success). But we saw what Lebron did last year without him. The same shit he has did this whole decade. Make the Finals. And this is the guy the Knicks are desperate for? Lmao. 

12 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Celtics are 9-2 without Kyrie this year. They played better without him prior to this season. He will never make a team better. He road the coattails of Lebron those years (even though you had idiots say he was a big reason for their success). But we saw what Lebron did last year without him. The same shit he has did this whole decade. Make the Finals. And this is the guy the Knicks are desperate for? Lmao. 

You're saying he WASN'T a big reason for their success?    And others are idiots?   

• Like 2

Yeah, LeBron made the Finals and got dicked on without Kyrie. And won 2 series the Cavs should have lost on the way there.  

And now he's going to miss the playoffs without Kyrie in his first year in a conference where you don't just waltz to Finals losses every year. So impressive. 

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Not this shit again.

They were also beating the Clippers the other night by 28 when Kyrie went out, and proceeded to lose by 11.

Teams that Boston has beat w/o Kyrie this season: New Orleans, Minnesota, Dallas, Brooklyn, Charlotte, Cleveland x2, Detroit, and Philly (who they're 3-0 against this year and mentally own).

Wow, talk about a murderer's row.  Bring on Golden State!

There has to be some middle-ground between "Kyrie is a surefire top 10 player, a perennial MVP candidate, and a great leader and teammate" and "Kyrie makes his team worse."  The former is probably wrong, but the latter is just stupid.  They're not getting out of the 2nd round this year without Kyrie.  They might not with him either, but he absolutely raises their ceiling.  Who are they beating in this year's East with Al Horford as their best player?

Edited by aggie08
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Yeah, LeBron made the Finals and got dicked on without Kyrie. And won 2 series the Cavs should have lost on the way there.  

And now he's going to miss the playoffs without Kyrie in his first year in a conference where you don't just waltz to Finals losses every year. So impressive. 

Lol. The Lakers were in the 4 or 5 slot and climbing before Bron went down. Let's not get all cute. Also, they got dicked on with Kyrie too. Kyrie didn't leave after the Ship year.

18 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Brad Stevens has clearly worn out his welcome in Boston and needs to start making plans to move to Lexington once Cal moves on to  coach the Lakers. 

After the success he had with the young guys last yr I think he really messed up being loyal to Heyward by going back to him too soon.   They didn't need to rush him back and it would have helped keep the momentum the young guys had going.   Tatum, Brown and Rozier seem to have regressed and I think you can point directly to Stevens forcing Heyward into the starting lineup to start the season when he clearly was not ready.     That showed the young guys that it wasn't really about basketball or putting the best squad on the floor. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, d2o said:

After the success he had with the young guys last yr I think he really messed up being loyal to Heyward by going back to him too soon.   They didn't need to rush him back and it would have helped keep the momentum the young guys had going.   Tatum, Brown and Rozier seem to have regressed and I think you can point directly to Stevens forcing Heyward into the starting lineup to start the season when he clearly was not ready.     That showed the young guys that it wasn't really about basketball or putting the best squad on the floor. 

Twas only joking but...  okay. 

9 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Twas only joking but...  okay. 

Well, I'm not saying he should be fired or anything like that.   Just saying that I think the reason for the regression of the young guys is how he handled that situation.      They are gonna have to lose most of those guys eventually, whether it be by trade or via FA but how he handled the situation may speed that along.

1 hour ago, d2o said:

After  the success he had with the young guys last yr I think he really messed up being loyal to Heyward by going back to him too soon.   They didn't need to rush him back and it would have helped keep the momentum the young guys had going.   Tatum, Brown and Rozier seem to have regressed and I think you can point directly to Stevens forcing Heyward into the starting lineup to start the season when he clearly was not ready.     That showed the young guys that it wasn't really about basketball or putting the best squad on the floor. 

Hayward hasn't been a starter since mid-November. He averages the 7th most minutes on the team, and the 6th most shots. If the young guys are still affected by that, that's on them at this point, and doesn't speak particularly highly of their mental fortitude.

Stevens tried to inject Hayward with some confidence by starting him to begin the season; it didn't work, so he pivoted quickly. It's the exact same thing that Philly did with Fultz, except Hayward is established enough in this league to have actually deserved the opportunity. JJ Redick hasn't spent the rest of the year pouting about it.

Besides, Brown and Tatum started right alongside Hayward to begin the season. Stevens did try to put the best 5 on the court. Brown didn't lose his job to Hayward; he lost it to Morris because they needed more toughness.

Edited by aggie08
  • Like 2