2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

that Bucks - Warriors game was a revelation to me. Milwaukee is loaded with no names with huge talent, a team of robots led by Freak. Had about 70 points on dunks and layups as Draymond was out. GS has no inside presence and they better have Cousins too if they are to meet the Bucks in the Finals. That team is a beast. 

7 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Who am I?

20.5 ppg

4.6 reb

4.0 ast

1.5 stl

.353 3P%

hint: Eastern Conference 

Caris Levert.

3 hours ago, NowThis said:

that Bucks - Warriors game was a revelation to me. Milwaukee is loaded with no names with huge talent, a team of robots led by Freak. Had about 70 points on dunks and layups as Draymond was out. GS has no inside presence and they better have Cousins too if they are to meet the Bucks in the Finals. That team is a beast. 

Draymond is their anchor defensively.  Also Curry went out late too.  Bucks are very long and athletic but one game in November shouldn't inform you of too much.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NowThis said:

Meh. I don’t put much stock in a regular season game especially without the best defensive player in the league playing. Dray is everything to them on defense. He enables the switching and plays passing lines better than anyone in the league. No one will touch this GSW team in the playoffs

40 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Caris Levert.

Draymond is their anchor defensively.  Also Curry went out late too.  Bucks are very long and athletic but one game in November shouldn't inform you of too much.  

Curry went out when the game was already a super blowout.  Even with Draymond, this Bucks team is a load. Their management deserves a lot of praise for putting together this roster around Freak. They are very solid. Follow them for a season, see how well they mesh, it's a real threat for the NBA title. 

9 minutes ago, NowThis said:

Curry went out when the game was already a super blowout.  Even with Draymond, this Bucks team is a load. Their management deserves a lot of praise for putting together this roster around Freak. They are very solid. Follow them for a season, see how well they mesh, it's a real threat for the NBA title. 

If they even make it out of the east

15 hours ago, Kermit said:

The worst will be SA’s cammo. It’s the same ugly bullshit every year.

Those did stand out in a bad way, even amongst a whole lot of meh creations. Whose idea was black camo in 2018?? Are the Spurs no longer allowed to use any color whatsoever?

2 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

I think it's a good move for the 6ers

It is..... if they go out and get another shooter by the deadline.  Jimmy's a really good player but not a great distance shooter.  Saric and Covington are probably their 3/4th best in the rotation.  

They could have had Kawhi and instead pissed it away.  Kawhi makes them the East favorite.  Butler gets them back up in the top tier but still probably behind Boston and Toronto.... the distance closed though.   I think they can re-sign Butler too.  They need to move Fultz.  

12 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Sixers giving up a draft pick, Saric and Covington. They panicked after a rough start. 

They could have probably landed Kawhi with a similar offer. Maybe a little more. 

Yep, that one may haunt them for years, especially if Kawhi stays in the East. Jimmy ain't Kawhi. Not even close. 

And are we even sure that Butler will allow Embiid to grow into his role as leader of the team? Or, will he walk in like he owns the place as the vet in the room? We know what he wants most of all is that next huge contract; barring a serious run at the Finals with him fitting in perfectly, would you give it to him if you were Philly?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

It is..... if they go out and get another shooter by the deadline.  Jimmy's a really good player but not a great distance shooter.  Saric and Covington are probably their 3/4th best in the rotation.  

They could have had Kawhi and instead pissed it away.  Kawhi makes them the East favorite.  Butler gets them back up in the top tier but still probably behind Boston and Toronto.... the distance closed though.   I think they can re-sign Butler too.  They need to move Fultz.  

Butler is shooting 37% from 3 this season

fuck yeah! jimmy butler come on down! really bummed about losing saric and covington, but this move had to be made. no doubt in my mind philly will add a shooter or two before this is all said and done, and with the way they've been letting Fultz and Simmons play separately (and Fultz honestly has shown some real flashes of what he's able to do in that time) it seems to me like they are trying to pump up Fultz's value to make another move. 

losing Covington and Saric sucks, but Jimmy Butler is a legit top 15 talent/player in the NBA and is the all-around offensive player that this team desperately needed. you can't hate a trade that gets a potential Eastern Conference contender the exact piece they were missing. Adding another shooter and possibly another perimeter defender to make up for the losses of Saric and Covington will be much easier than moving forward without any sort of offensive threat from the perimeter.

I've said this a million times over the years- this is basketball; the team with the best players wins, period. It's not baseball, or hockey, or even football where a team can be just over .500 and then get hot at the right time and go win a title; you have to have a cadre of premier players to have *any* chance, especially in the playoffs where depth becomes less of an issue as your best players all start playing 35+ minutes a game. The Sixers now have their own legit Big Three and are now much more serious contenders in the East. 

Also, it's funny to me how many fans are just giant haters and they don't even realize it. Just sitting around on their computers shitting on teams no matter what they do. The Sixers don't have a GM in the summer, they don't get Kawhi, and you shit on them for that. They go and get Jimmy Butler in-season and everyone shits on that too. Had the Sixers done nothing and made no move to address their deficiencies then you would have shitted on them for that. Make up your fucking minds American sports fans. You shit on teams/players who don't make moves and never win titles, and then you shit on teams/players who do make moves in an effort to win a title. Everybody just loves to hate at the end of the day. The Sixers made their move. Whether it works or not they are actually trying. And I'm willing to bet that Philly is much more of a threat now than they were yesterday. 

Edited by Goo Punch

Oh, I think it's well worth the risk. Get the best guy available in your building, sell him on your culture, and hope for the best. Worked with Paul George; might work with Kawhi. If doesn't pan out, they're only really out Covington, and they'll have cap space.

But, if they were willing to pull the trigger a couple weeks into the season, you can't help but ask why they didn't package that same deal--maybe with a 1st--for Kawhi, a legit superstar. 

Jimmy is fine as a consolation, especially since it didn't cost them that 1st. But the last two times that he's been inserted into a young locker room have gone spectacularly sideways. Philly has a better coach and culture than the Bulls and TWolves, so, again, worth the risk, but they had a real shot to do even better.

yeah i really think that Brett Brown is the perfect coach to handle Butler, and i think he's walking into a great scenario where he's going to enjoy going to work every day. The disfunction that used to define the franchise is still lingering, but nowhere near as prominent as it once was. The players like each other, there's no discord; the coaches are a bit younger and more forward thinking than some others around the league, and Brown learned from the best when he was in SA with Popovich, Kerr, et al. This move had to be made, and i'll bet money that Jimmy Butler isn't this locker room cancer that so many paint how out to be these days.

6 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

That's a lot to give up for Butler. But finally the saga with him and TWolves are done. Are you sad @MNLonghornFUKM ??

not really. Its a long lead up that led to this...Wiggins' max deal for starters. Id rather we just let him walk and keep Butler but Taylors a dumbfuck owner that basically signed Andrew to 30/yr on his own. KG is right when he said GT doesnt know shit about bball.

I also think Butlers a fucking asshole and I hope he fails miserably getting his max deal after he turned down 4/100 last year. Glad its over. The team is built around KAT. Surrounding him with a couple of 3 pt shooters should only help, KAT and Anthony Tolliver have done real well together compared to KAT and Taj Gibson.

Jimmys a space issue too. His 3 pt % is nice...but we know hes no natural shooter. I wont miss his hero ISO ball in the 4th qtr. If him and Embiid start to butt heads at all, it will be entertaining as all hell. 

in short...it sucks it came to this, Im "happy" with the package, its better than 4 houston 1sts and that Richardson guy from Miami...we'll see how it goes going forward. May as well snag another young player this draft because we know nobodys beating GS

• Like 1

6 hours ago, immortal13 said:

He is better than what they have. Agree they need to dump Fultz

Basketball Buds or Nerder she wrote discussed Fultz and Simmons numbers playing with each other and when one of them aren't on the floor. Their numbers are significantly worse when they're on the floor together.  

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

yeah i really think that Brett Brown is the perfect coach to handle Butler, and i think he's walking into a great scenario where he's going to enjoy going to work every day. The disfunction that used to define the franchise is still lingering, but nowhere near as prominent as it once was. The players like each other, there's no discord; the coaches are a bit younger and more forward thinking than some others around the league, and Brown learned from the best when he was in SA with Popovich, Kerr, et al. This move had to be made, and i'll bet money that Jimmy Butler isn't this locker room cancer that so many paint how out to be these days.

yea good luck. Butler was Thibs' nookie blankie and he couldnt handle him round 2. 

26 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Basketball Buds or Nerder she wrote discussed Fultz and Simmons numbers playing with each other and when one of them aren't on the floor. Their numbers are significantly worse when they're on the floor together.  

yeah, brown has been using them separately and fultz has been showing flashes of what he's capable of. He's getting steals and blocks, dunking on people, driving and finishing at the rim- basically he's been a poor man's ben simmons when he isn't playing alongside ben simmons. 

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:
18 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:
giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5be7a80638654c5459ae9c64

He's right. It's still Boston and Toronto. Philly still isn't better than either. Hell they might not be better than Milwaukee.

he's not right. there is no way that philly loses covington and saric and adds jimmy butler without it having an impact on the east.