Eggnog Time, Mother Fuckers

Brace yourself fools and get your shit together.

Made the first batch tonight to be ready for Thanksgiving.  

1.5 batches of Alton Browns recipe - filled up 3.75 L worth of flip top bottles.

Also have one bottle from last December as my first time trying to long term age.

With the cool weather, I have my running mileage closer to 40/week, but I may need to up it in the next couple of weeks.

I don’t like shitty beers or drink non-black coffee/espresso, so I don’t know what pumpkin spice is.  The stuff sits in the fridge for a month, so you don’t want to be found lacking.

Also, I have another 4 weeks before I have to go back to work (though still have another 4 months of severance) so I may be a little early due to a lot of free time.

As far as bottles, they are the brown swing tops (Grolsh style) I used to use for home brew.  

• Like 1

On 10/21/2018 at 9:54 AM, Spur08 said:

If I have 3 Mason jars left from last year, still good?

Yup.  I kept a couple of quart jars from last year's batch, and cracked one open a month or two ago just to see how it was doing.  It's good.  I'll leave the other one until this Christmas and compare it to fresh.

The aged one tasted good, but not so crazily good that I feel like it's something I MUST do.  But we'll see how the taste comparison goes in another month or so.

• 1 year later...

Is this really the only nog thread we have on surly?  We had at least two at the old place.

Anyway, here we go again.  Family egg nog party is Saturday 12/14 so we'll be making a huge batch on Friday 12/13.  I still have a small jar from 2017 and a quart jar from 2018, so looks like I'll be doing a vertical flight this year.  Wish me luck... :)

• Like 1

These are my father's recipes. They has warned many soul.

Eggnog for Englishman and Purists

Serves 20

1 cup sugar

12 eggs separated, beaten separately

1 quart milk

1 pint whipped cream, whipped

2 cups whiskey (bourbon or brandy)

1 cup rum

nutmeg to flavor

1.     Add liquor to milk, blend

2.     Blend yolks with sugar, add to milk blend

3.      Stir in whites

4.      Stir in whipped cream

PS  Sometimes prepackaged Eggnog or frozen vanilla ice cream can be added in.

Eggnog for Non-Purists

Serves 10

1 quart Dairy Eggnog mix

add 4 eggs separated, beaten separately

1 cup whipped cream, whipped

1 cup bourbon (or brandy)

½ cup rum

nutmeg to flavor

1 hour ago, futureman said:

the difference in homemade nog and store-bought is one of the largest gulfs in the entire food industry. 

Yup

1 hour ago, futureman said:

I’ll drink homemade nog until my stomach explodes.  not interested in even a small glass of something out of a carton. 

Yup

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

A good milk punch can sub for egg nog. I love milk punch.

This is the egg nog thread, MFers.

The milk punch thread is over there -------->

42 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The time I tried to keep it for a year, it started to congeal.  It didn't smell bad, but it was starting to look like sour cream.  Probably still could have drank it because there's too much alcohol in it for anything to be able to grow.

We'll see how the 2017 is doing, I'm somewhat skeptical.  I expect the 2018 to be fine.  

But like I said earlier, I don't think the aged nog is remarkably better than non-aged.  I just happened to have an extra container or two, the past couple years, that were made up as gifts for folks that we never actually got them to, so here we are.

Fresh nog definitely tastes better after a day or two of melding, though.  I think the most improvement occurs during that period.

Have about 3 cups of 2017, a quart of 2018, and a gallon of this years ready.

The 2017 is still awesome.  I’m thinking of getting it down to a half bottle.  Top off with the 2018.  Drink that down to half and top off with 2019.  Creating a perpetual bottle of eggnog.

We were late getting a tree this year, so we are doing that tonight.  Kids get hot chocolate and adults get eggnog while we put up the lights/ornaments.  I love this time of year.

I make Alton Brown's recipe every year and saved a mason jar from last year that I will break open soon.  Agree homeade kicks store-bought's butt.  Whatever variety you use, freshly grated nutmeg makes a huge difference.  Grating those damned nuts is hell on your hands, but well worth it.

When my son was just over 2 years old, we gave him some (non-booze) egg nog using my FIL's recipe which included putting a big blob of french vanilla ice cream in the bowl and letting it melt over time.  He came to me for what I thought was a second glass.  Thought maybe that was too much, but what the hell, it was Christmas eve.  Little did I realize but he had already gone to my wife for a second glass so this was his third.  So as the 3 of us are sitting at the dining room table, nicely dressed for Christmas Eve dinner, my son goes exorcist all over the table.  Good times.

My daughter was born 12 hours later.  /csb

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Microplane works.  We actually have a specific nutmeg grater that we use, Alton Brown would not approve as it's a unitasker, but it was a gift and it saves our microplane for other uses.

And yes, DEFINITELY need fresh nutmeg grated on top.  Some people don't like it, and I feel sorry for those folks.

On 12/3/2019 at 1:18 PM, kevwun said:

We made ours on Sunday.  It will be perfect by Christmas.  Also, this bourbon craze needs to die already.  I've always used Buffalo Trace and now apparently it is impossible to get in Austin.

Austin Wine Merchant on 6th had BT on Monday. 

Ok, this thread intrigued me, so I'm going to make up a batch of Alton's aged eggnog to have for Christmas/New Year's.  The recipe I found calls for "Jamaican Rum".  Does that mean like the strong white rum that Jamaicans drink or something more like the Meyer's Dark Jamaican Rum?

AGED EGGNOG

alton-brown-eggnog-1-150x150.jpg

• 12 large eggs (pasteurized if you need peace of mind)
  • 1 pound sugar
  • 1 pint half-n-half
  • 1 pint whole milk
  • 1 pint heavy cream
  • 1 cup Jamaican rum
  • 1 cup cognac
  • 1 cup bourbon
  • 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (plus more for serving)
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  1. Separate the eggs and store the whites for another purpose.
  2. Beat the yolks with the sugar and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl until the mixture lightens in color and falls off the whisk in a solid “ribbon.”
  3. Combine dairy, booze and salt in a second bowl or pitcher and then slowly beat into the egg mixture.
  4. Move to a large glass jar (or a couple of smaller ones) and store in the fridge for a minimum of 2 weeks. A month would be better, and two better still. In fact, there’s nothing that says you couldn’t age it a year, but I’ve just never been able to wait that long. (And yes, you can also drink it right away.)
  5. Serve in mugs or cups topped with a little extra nutmeg grated right on top.

https://altonbrown.com/eggnog-recipe/

On 12/4/2019 at 2:05 PM, kevwun said:

The time I tried to keep it for a year, it started to congeal.  It didn't smell bad, but it was starting to look like sour cream.  Probably still could have drank it because there's too much alcohol in it for anything to be able to grow.

Same with mine.  I took last years version out to look at it before Thanksgiving.  Smelled fine, looked like a runny cottage cheese so I ditched.  Need to get going on a new batch.

• Fuck You 1

This thread was inspirational.  I went for it yesterday and made egg nog following the Alton Brown recipe.  Holy shit, I feel like a Philistine.  

Had some store bought in the fridge and almost had to spit it out after drinking the homemade.

Cheers. 

IMG_5652.jpg.b8219e0d1b9699e15b8ab502f8b288ab.jpg

• Like 2