Holy Shit, Super Typhoon Yutu

immamac

2 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

The empathy part of my brain has entirely been supplanted by the pop culture part of my brain.  As soon as I click on the link, I go from concerned to "two torpedoes slammed into her side, Chief."

Zactly.  Don't matter, we delivered the bomb.

53 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

The empathy part of my brain has entirely been supplanted by the pop culture part of my brain.  As soon as I click on the link, I go from concerned to "two torpedoes slammed into her side, Chief."

I immediately went to Steve Martin in Three Amigos. “You two, look up here!  Look up here!”

29 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Go on? Tornado wind is a much shorter duration. What am I missing?

Tornadic winds, due to a much smaller vortex of circulation and convective uplift, will always put a greater wind damage effect on a structure/terrain due to angular momentum.  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Tornadic winds, due to a much smaller vortex of circulation and convective uplift, will always put a greater wind damage effect on a structure/terrain due to angular momentum.  

Este, also, tornadic winds can have extremely violent bursts of energy resulting in absurd, but brief, wind increases. Some studies have shown instantaneous winds can get above Mach 1!

• Like 1

Also, the city of Austin is considering adding Saipan as a sister city:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saipan

Despite an annual rainfall of 80 to 100 inches (2,000 to 2,500 mm), the Commonwealth Utilities Corporation(CUC), the local government-run water utility company on Saipan, is unable to deliver 24-hour-a-day potable water to its customers in certain areas.

My grandparents moved to Saipan for a couple of years when my grandfather retired so this hits close to home -- well, their home ... their home many, many years ago ... they moved back though ... my grandmother wasn't a fan ... and now they're both dead. But still close to home.

1 minute ago, clapclapclap said:

Also, the city of Austin is considering adding Saipan as a sister city:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saipan

Despite an annual rainfall of 80 to 100 inches (2,000 to 2,500 mm), the Commonwealth Utilities Corporation(CUC), the local government-run water utility company on Saipan, is unable to deliver 24-hour-a-day potable water to its customers in certain areas.

Ha, this jogs a memory. My grandparents would've been there in the late 80's/early 90's and I recall them saying that they had to fill up the bathtub with water each morning before leaving the house.