An Old Fashioned

Macanudo

On 3/30/2018 at 8:32 PM, BigDHornfan said:

Where'd you find the 8 yr Willett Rye?  I've only ever seen the 3 yr.

That bottle is at least 5 years old.  There was a time when Willett was pumping our a number of different age statements (at varying prices).  A buddy of mine got that for me as a gift for something.

Had an average old fashioned Friday with muddled cherries/oranges and Basil Hayden’s on Friday. My house recipe is to use a couple drops of maple syrup, 5-6 shakes of Angostora bitters and a couple of fingers of Larceny. Swirl to combine and drop in a large spherical ice cube...quick and tasty

Had an average old fashioned Friday with muddled cherries/oranges and Basil Hayden’s on Friday. My house recipe is to use a couple drops of maple syrup, 5-6 shakes of Angostora bitters and a couple of fingers of Larceny. Swirl to combine and drop in a large spherical ice cube...quick and tasty
Fan of the maple syrup for a quick old fashioned. Mainly because I don't drink enough of them to keep simple syrup in my bar, but also cause i like the taste.

On 3/26/2018 at 10:42 PM, UnivTex34 said:

I do like Templeton, but I drink too much to be buying it all the time, and after extensive research, have found you have to spend north of $60 a bottle to really make a noticeable difference. Old Overholt is very underrated. Although 3 years ago it was $14 a bottle, and now it’s closer to $20.

So happy I've found Old Overholt.  It's essentially Bulleit. Contigo in Austin makes the best Old Fashioned I've had in awhile.  

Question on the Old Overholt....   Are ya'll using the normal 80 proof stuff or the Bonded 100 proof?   I grabbed a bottle of the 80 proof from my local Spec's only to discover that the family (non-Spec's) store closer to Casa Macanudo had the Bonded. 

The local store also had the Basil Hayden Rye and  Dark Rye.  Anyone try those ? 

As for Spec's.... I did grab a bottle of the Willet Family Estate Rye (108 proof)  Looking forward to cracking that open.  

31 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Question on the Old Overholt....   Are ya'll using the normal 80 proof stuff or the Bonded 100 proof?   I grabbed a bottle of the 80 proof from my local Spec's only to discover that the family (non-Spec's) store closer to Casa Macanudo had the Bonded. 

The local store also had the Basil Hayden Rye and  Dark Rye.  Anyone try those ? 

As for Spec's.... I did grab a bottle of the Willet Family Estate Rye (108 proof)  Looking forward to cracking that open.  

The Willet makes a good OF.    I too am curious about the Basil Rye.   Their bourbon is good.

OK....  So far the Willet is OK not great.  At least to my pallet.  Considering the proof, there's not nearly the bite that I was expecting.   Not a bad thing but I thought there would be more of a zing compared to Bulliet.    I like it but its seeming like it's not worth the price.

9 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

OK....  So far the Willet is OK not great.  At least to my pallet.  Considering the proof, there's not nearly the bite that I was expecting.   Not a bad thing but I thought there would be more of a zing compared to Bulliet.    I like it but its seeming like it's not worth the price.

man that goes to show you. i think willet rye is the best purchase in the store at $40. i find bulliet rye just really boring now and haven't bought it for years, but 5 years back is was my fav

conclusion: have another OF

I’ve used both, but preferred the 80 proof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/30/2018 at 9:47 AM, nycHorn said:

Whoa whoa, let's pump the breaks here.

Try a Manhattan with a rye with a strong bite.  I like Michters or Rittenhouse.  Then use Antica Torino for the vermouth.  This stuff is delicious. A splash of bitters and then I soften everything by taking a lemon peel and twisting it so the oils spritz the cocktail.  It's incredible.

2xg9OFp.jpg

Holy shit, can't believe I've never tried this stuff before.  Having a manhattan with Pikesville Rye and the Antica Torino right now.  Delicious!!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Holy shit, can't believe I've never tried this stuff before.  Having a manhattan with Pikesville Rye and the Antica Torino right now.  Delicious!!

Awesome man.  I'm jealous you're putting one down right now.

On 4/1/2018 at 6:04 PM, Daichee Bell said:

So happy I've found Old Overholt.  It's essentially Bulleit. Contigo in Austin makes the best Old Fashioned I've had in awhile.  

they also make a fantastic whiskey sour.....My drink of choice.

I like an old fashioned, but LOVE me a sour.  My typical mix uses Bulleit Rye, fresh lemon juice, agave nectar in place of simple syrup, and an egg white.  I mix 2 drinks at a time and use 1 egg white per 2-drink shaker.

17 minutes ago, Rollo Tomassi said:

I like an old fashioned, but LOVE me a sour.  My typical mix uses Bulleit Rye, fresh lemon juice, agave nectar in place of simple syrup, and an egg white.  I mix 2 drinks at a time and use 1 egg white per 2-drink shaker.

Thanks. That sounds terrific.   I'll try it out 

5 hours ago, nycHorn said:

Awesome man.  I'm jealous you're putting one down right now.

Liked it so much I just put a bottle of Pikesville Rye and 375 ml of Antica Torino with about 10 dashes of bitters in my 2 ltr oak barrel and gonna let it sit for a month .  Had one at restaurant tonight that was barrel aged and it was great.

That’s a whiskey sour flip.

Try the same thing with Pisco and put a couple of drops of angostura and some nutmeg on top, and you’ve got the Pisco Sour, the national drink of Peru.
Sublime.

Also, use sugar or simple syrup. If you are using Agave nectar you might as well use Karo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Tried one tonight with Old Overholt.  Better, IMO, than the Willet but still lagging  a bit behind Bulleit for oomph.    Poured a second a while later, went lighter on bitters/simple syrup and a bit heavier on the Old Overholt.   Better.

12 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Tried one tonight with Old Overholt.  Better, IMO, than the Willet but still lagging  a bit behind Bulleit for oomph.    Poured a second a while later, went lighter on bitters/simple syrup and a bit heavier on the Old Overholt.   Better.

your post a few back made me so mad i went and bought a new bottle of willet the other night. it was glorious. 

if you willet dude, it is no dream 

On 4/2/2018 at 4:21 PM, Macanudo said:

The BH Dark Rye is great, but it has other stuff in it than just rye. Regardless, very tasty. 

Pro tip, a couple slugs of that in your coffee on a Saturday morning will make U7 soccer almost enjoyable!

Had a date with Mrs Rojo last night. Had an absolutely sublime OF at St Genevieve before dinner, then we ran into some friends that were going to Culinary Dropout so we walked over and had a drink with them. Ordered an OF there, took two sips and left it sitting on the bar. Second worst OF I've ever had. The worst will always be the Salt Lake City Marriott, where the bartender actually topped it off with a shot of Sprite from his mix gun.

Had a date with Mrs Rojo last night. Had an absolutely sublime OF at St Genevieve before dinner, then we ran into some friends that were going to Culinary Dropout so we walked over and had a drink with them. Ordered an OF there, took two sips and left it sitting on the bar. Second worst OF I've ever had. The worst will always be the Salt Lake City Marriott, where the bartender actually topped it off with a shot of Sprite from his mix gun.

I’ve long advocated that you can tell the quality of a hotel by the old fashioned you get from the bar.
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

It’s not an OF, but I figured this had kind of morphed into the bourbon cocktail thread.
Manhattan made with Col. Taylor Straight Rye, Antica Torino vermouth and a luxardo cherry.
Cheers you surly ass fucks!
361acb70b93fe030970d807bd6fc939b.jpg

I'm coming to your house.  I can't wait to hear about the barrel aging  you have going on.  That's next level drinking my man.

On 4/5/2018 at 10:15 AM, staboner said:

your post a few back made me so mad i went and bought a new bottle of willet the other night. it was glorious. 

if you willet dude, it is no dream 

Did another one with Willet tonight.  Starting to see the sublety.   Not a lot of bite but with a little less simple syrup and bitters, it had a little more oomph.  

I'm not knocking Willet.   It's good.   I'm still experimenting with my preferences.   

18 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Did another one with Willet tonight.  Starting to see the sublety.   Not a lot of bite but with a little less simple syrup and bitters, it had a little more oomph.  

I'm not knocking Willet.   It's good.   I'm still experimenting with my preferences.   

cool. i never really do a willet rye for an old fashioned, i do the willet bourbon. you weren't originally talking about the willet branded bourbon were you? the bourbon is a much rarer find than the rye. 

for the willet rye try a manhattan. 3 parts willet to one part sweet vermouth. the rye really shines in this drink for me and willet really separates here for me (versus old overholt, rittenhouse, etc)

(also - specs carries rowan's creek bourbon. i just learned its made by the willet distillery. its a bit sweeter but very damn good and great for OFs)

I typically opt for a Rye... have been happy just using Bulleit Rye.  I did make a few using Whistle Pig and it's good but probably wasting the Rye. I think bitters makes a difference as well. I've been using the Hella Bitters from NYC (versus Angostura). Pour a little over a sugar cube and muddle before adding the rye and orange peel