Austin Nostalgia Picture Thread

Chet Steadman

Old bands I saw at various venues growing up before they really blew up:

• Reba McEntire (Austin Aqua Festival)
  • Stevie Ray Vaughn (as a little guy, don't remember but dad said I was there)
  • Big Head Todd and the Monsters
  • REK
  • Asleep at the wheel
  • Arc Angels
  • Jerry Jeff Walker
  • Willie
  • Jr Brown
  • Damn Yankees

All I can think of off the top of my head.  

The Roman Orgy at The Magic Time Machine was my first memory of Austin. Went to it the same day I saw Ralph the swimming pig at Aquarena Springs. Moved to Austin in 1991 and left in 2006. Pearl's Oyster Bar with 10 cent shrimp and 25 cent oysters was still a thing. First time Mrs. CHIEF and I went to Cancun, we flew out of Mueller. I feel old. The HEB at 620/183 was about where the Total Wine is at this time. 620/183 was a four way stop, even 6-7 years after we were married. 

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
620/183

Hey so there is a new Barton Springs page that talks about how Barton Springs and the Greenbelt have been protected over time.  Actually a very interesting page with lots and lots of historical background.  You just have to poke around through the timeline, the map, etc.  Pretty interesting:

https://bartoncreektimestream.org/

PrimaryVisual.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

15 hours ago, texasdago said:

Hey so there is a new Barton Springs page that talks about how Barton Springs and the Greenbelt have been protected over time.  Actually a very interesting page with lots and lots of historical background.  You just have to poke around through the timeline, the map, etc.  Pretty interesting:

PrimaryVisual.jpg

welp, there goes my morning

• 10 months later...
8 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Tex-- The Enrollment Exchange for The University of Texas at Austin.  

All sections... are full.

You are registered for... zero... courses, for a total of... zero... hours.

Goodbye, and good luck.

I had one semester where I had to run around the Erwin Center to try to schedule classes and I ended up with a bunch of random electives.  Tex was a godsend.  I bought one of those t-shirts as soon as I saw it for sale.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

I never did Erwin Center, they had just introduced Tex when I started.  Despite its issues, I was definitely glad to be able to use it, rather than run around from table to table and stand in line or whatever y'all had to do.

Edited by utee94

7 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I never did Erwin Center, they had just introduced Tex when I started.  Despite its issues, I was definitely glad to be able to use it, rather than run around from table to table and stand in line or whatever y'all had to do.

The only tables I liked were the ones that they placed outside of the UGL... They would wrap them with butcher paper and you could write your comments about specific classes and instructors. They could be a great source of information and a great source of amusement.

• Like 1

(it was the phone-based registration system that replaced the manual hardcopy/paper registration process in... 1989 I guess?  It was in place my freshman year orientation, summer of 1990)

Got it. I graduated in May 90 so must have missed it. I had to walk around the Erwin Center at adds/drops to find out I couldn’t get any classes.
I had one semester where I had to run around the Erwin Center to try to schedule classes and I ended up with a bunch of random electives.  Tex was a godsend.  I bought one of those t-shirts as soon as I saw it for sale.

8 semesters in a row doing this for me.

3 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Lol.  TEX was no friend to me and my late teens years of immaturity.  The class that I need to take at the time I need is full?  Guess I'm taking Oceanography.  

I was an electrical engineer so they pretty much had exactly as many course openings as they had students, that was never an issue.

You might not get the prof you wanted, though.  For example, you might get that bastard Ian B. Thomas for every class he taught, instead of an awesome guy like Bostick.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

I was an electrical engineer so they pretty much had exactly as many course openings as they had students, that was never an issue.

You might not get the prof you wanted, though.  For example, you might get that bastard Ian B. Thomas for every class he taught, instead of an awesome guy like Bostick.

To show my lack of contextual awareness, I'm pretty sure I never considered who the professor was when signing up for a class.  

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Lol.  TEX was no friend to me and my late teens years of immaturity.  The class that I need to take at the time I need is full?  Guess I'm taking Oceanography.  

That's what your adviser was for. I needed one more upper division geology credit to graduate, but nothing fit my work schedule. My advisor put my in an intro to geology class for non-majors and counted it as upper division. Easy A and I got the fuck out.

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

This may be the best place for this gem I had framed, copyright 1979, my freshman year. If it was cool enough to frame, I thought it might be worth sharing.

53-C45-C0-A-BEEF-4151-BE8-B-D4306015-D16

Here are some closer looks.

NW

8-C5-ACCD4-EEA1-477-D-B3-B5-E1991054-AB9

NE

1-C020-C8-C-9-D0-F-41-C6-B695-AA31014693

SE

E45445-D0-4839-4-A54-8-B8-E-3194-A014-E7

SW

055198-B4-1766-4-B4-C-8768-9-A9-FDD9286-

Lol at Radian, Steck and Mopac.  I worked my last couple years of college there and a few years after.   Neal Kocurek made sure that was on there.  

21 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

NE

1-C020-C8-C-9-D0-F-41-C6-B695-AA31014693

I worked for an oil company in the First Federal Savings of Austin building (lower center of pic) in 1982. The owner’s office was a giant postcard of the State Capitol Building.

I also worked for a temp agency one Christmas break, and the had me moving furniture and filing cabinets all Friday at the Texas Employment Commission (right above the Capitol Building). The lazy fucks working there put their work away before lunch and didn’t lift a finger the rest of the day. They did their nails, read romance novels, gossiped on the phone, anything but work. That included the managers and supervisors. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
They did lift fingers to paint them, flip pages, and dial friends.

On 4/21/2022 at 5:28 PM, texasdago said:

PrimaryVisual.jpg

I miss the topless days.

13 hours ago, texasdago said:

I had one semester where I had to run around the Erwin Center to try to schedule classes and I ended up with a bunch of random electives. 

Adds & Drops needed to be experienced at least once in a college kid’s time at UT. Freshman year was the worst, by far. I hardly remember the following years. 

16 hours ago, utee94 said:

Bostick was still the prof you wanted in the early 2000's

Tex was still around my first couple years but I think it died in 2001 or 2002 and was replaced with an online version 

Edited by JesusSweatDuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

To show my lack of contextual awareness, I'm pretty sure I never considered who the professor was when signing up for a class.  

Pick-a-prof popped up towards my upper class years. Was awesome, could see the grade ratios of every professor and student reviews.  I credit that website to raising my GPA 1/2 a pt

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Lol at Radian, Steck and Mopac.  I worked my last couple years of college there and a few years after.   Neal Kocurek made sure that was on there.  

I did not know that. I worked at Signature Science (the company Radian turned into) my last year of undergrad and before I went to law school. Most of the old timers were former Radian folks. I’m sure we worked with a lot of the same people, they were lifers. 

21 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Bostick was still the prof you wanted in the early 2000's

Tex was still around my first couple years but I think it died in 2001 or 2002 and was replaced with an online version 

I started Fall of 2001 and TEX was still around then. So it made it to at least 2002. 

• Hook 'Em 1

That's what your adviser was for. I needed one more upper division geology credit to graduate, but nothing fit my work schedule. My advisor put my in an intro to geology class for non-majors and counted it as upper division. Easy A and I got the fuck out.

I only had the Erwin Center experience freshman year…because I was arrogant, and didn’t need to go to any sissy orientation…not realizing that was also where you registered for classes.
In the later TEX years, I was a spoiled little Plan II kid. Didn’t so much matter what I registered for, I’d just get my Plan II adviser to fix it later. I did always make sure I registered for at least 12 hours of something, because you needed to be registered full time to get your scholarship money released.
Also had a buddy who needed to do some add-drop work on Tex at a scheduled time. Problem was, we were all on an impromptu trip for debauchery in Laredo. He did add drops from a pay phone in Laredo.
  • Hook 'Em 2