Austin Nostalgia Picture Thread

Chet Steadman

11 hours ago, KaiserSoze said:
On 11/18/2021 at 2:14 PM, Anastasis said:
RIP cabrito at El Azteca. 

That was the last meal I had there.

Last meal there was cabrito with my dad.  A few weeks ago had cabrito with him at this place in San Antonio and it was very very good. Scratched the right itch.  https://www.solunasa.com/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Hadn't heard of this place.  What a menu!  I think that I'd want one of everything.

Yeah.  I didn't even get to look at the menu.  I went to take a piss when we got there and my dad had already ordered two plates of cabrito and margaritas by the time I made it back to the table. But, yeah, there is a lot there. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 1

Anyone remember Madison Square Garden sports bar on 6th?  I believe they later moved to Pleasant Valley road area.  I remember it being a cool setup and place to watch games. 

Rebel Drive-In,  Aquarius Theater.  I remember thinking driving out to Oak Hill from Wm Cannon was too long of a drive, WC before the railroad overpass. 

On 11/19/2021 at 7:14 AM, Jiggy-Z said:

Don't forget about the Southside theater, which is now Blazertag.

It was Southwood theatre.  

On 11/19/2021 at 8:30 PM, 4th&Five said:

I saw Top Gun there. I think we saw ET at whatever the Strait Music theater was called. When those 2 were gone we pretty much only had west gate for a few years. 

I also saw Top Gun there and many others like Hercules with Lou, Conan the Barbarian with Arnold, Rambo with Sly.  Strait was a late addition to that shopping center. Sun Harvest was one of the main stores there, in my era as a kid.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, RollLeft said:

It was Southwood theatre.  

I also saw Top Gun there and many others like Hercules with Lou, Conan the Barbarian with Arnold, Rambo with Sly.  Strait was a late addition to that shopping center. Sun Harvest was one of the main stores there, in my era as a kid.  

oh and Terminator.

• Hook 'Em 1

Good question.  I have no idea what a Koozie costs.  I just collect free ones.  

I think I picked it up at an event out at UT Golf Club years ago.  But at a tailgate earlier this season, was drinking a beer with a gimme koozie. It’s the perfect burnt orange shade and it’s that nicer kinda vinyl material so it doesn’t get slippery if your hands are sweaty.  Anyway, older couple (70-75 YO) walks up and asks, “do you live out there too?  We just love it!”  My koozie says Longhorn Village.  Dammit, I’m aging poorly.  

no pics.  But had lunch at Posse East.  Speaking of old, they turned 50 this month.  

• 2 weeks later...

You see kids, you know how stay up until 2am on a Thursday night sometimes because that’s when some west coast streaming service drops a new episode of some show you can’t live without?  Sometimes we had to stay up until 2am because of our last name, to register for classes on TEX.  

And one time Lobo wasn’t sober at that time, so he got stuck in a Zoology class taught by a German PhD student who didn’t speak any English. 

students have to deal with a lot of shit these days we didn’t have to.  But I give them zero sympathy when they complain about not getting the courses at McCombs they want/need.

speaking of old Austin…….37th street lights have returned.  The hood flipped them on this past weekend.  Not the over the top display it once was back in the day.  But pretty great overall.  Check it out if you can 

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

speaking of old Austin…….37th street lights have returned.  The hood flipped them on this past weekend.  Not the over the top display it once was back in the day.  But pretty great overall.  Check it out if you can 

I know one of the guys that started it all way back when.  He lives out in Dripping Springs now and has more real estate and more house to work with and it is something to see.

He still does the Xmas lights for the Hyde Park Bar & Grill Westgate .

Oh shit, I read something about this.  He's between the Y & and Dripping Springs proper, right?  On the north side of the highway?  I forgot the story/address.  He still invites people to come drive thru it, right?  

Edited by Lobo

I know one of the guys that started it all way back when.  He lives out in Dripping Springs now and has more real estate and more house to work with and it is something to see.
He still does the Xmas lights for the Hyde Park Bar & Grill Westgate .

Which used to be …

Grandy’s

15 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Which used to be …

Grandy’s

You can still make out the gravy stains in the parking lot.  At least, I hope that was gravy.  I should probably wash the truck on the way home.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Oh shit, I read something about this.  He's between the Y & and Dripping Springs proper, right?  On the north side of the highway?  I forgot the story/address.  He still invites people to come drive thru it, right?  

No. Out towards Salt Lick area.

Apologies if already discussed, but some of my fond memories of Austin from late 70s and 80s involve dive-y live music venues:

Liberty Lunch- Dead Milkmen, Slayer, Morphine, many many others.

The Ritz ( Sixth St)- Dead Kennedys.

Backroom (E. Riverside) - Metallica, Public Enemy, Ramones.

Manor Downs-  Grateful Dead

Some other fond memories as a kid:

Grew up on the area around Hudson Bend. White trash and mobile homes and roaming packs of dogs back then. The dogs made riding your bike to your friend's house high adventure. Went to Lake Travis Elementary when it was still part of Drip ISD, which only had 1 HS, 1 MS, and 2 Elementary schools. Lakeway was already full of rich assholes though. When I was a youngster, driving to Oak Hill and having pizza at the Mr. Gattis would be the high point of the week.

High School:

Once I got old enough to drive our boat, we would skip school and go water skiing on Lake Travis. On a week day before summer break, there wouldn't be a single boat on the lake, other than a few retired olds out fishing.

Skipping school, then buying acid from one of the UT housing co-ops in west campus. Then heading out to...

Hamilton's Pool. I recall numerous trips out there in high school when my group would be the only people there.

On 12/13/2021 at 1:00 PM, Lobo said:

You see kids, you know how stay up until 2am on a Thursday night sometimes because that’s when some west coast streaming service drops a new episode of some show you can’t live without?  Sometimes we had to stay up until 2am because of our last name, to register for classes on TEX.  

And one time Lobo wasn’t sober at that time, so he got stuck in a Zoology class taught by a German PhD student who didn’t speak any English. 

I think I took the same class.

I remember his first name was Klaus.  Last name started with a K as well.  This would have been '97 IIRC.  I needed two more science credits and I took this one because I missed the enrollment window for the Weather & Climate one with Kimmel.  It was either his first or second semester teaching at UT.  And it was fucking rough.  Most of the class dealt with Latin terminology and his accent just made a difficult language almost impossible.  I stuck it out because there was a girl in there I liked.  I had dated her roommate a year before and always dug her (couldn't pull off the switch).  But really fucking tough class, that's all I remember.  And I couldn't add/drop anything better by the time I realized what I had gotten into.  

My Tex "oh shit" memory was after finals at the end of my senior year.  I had front-loaded my schedule with heavy hours in the semesters and a couple summer school courses, so I needed only about 9 hours that last Spring semester.  Three of those hours were a pass/fail option, so I chose Accounting for Non-accounting Majors, figuring it might be helpful to learn a bit about balance sheets and all that shit.  I had already gotten early-acceptance to Texas Law, and while I still put in the work for my graded courses, I was in complete fuck-off mode for the accounting course, so much so that I walked out of that exam feeling a little nervous.  But surely I passed, right?

So I dial up Tex, and I hear:  "Accounting 110 . . . F . . . ."  I slam the phone down and a cornucopia of obscenities come out of my mouth.  I'm fucking pissed because now I have to take three fucking hours of some piece of shit summer school class just to fucking graduate when I should have a relaxing summer before starting law school.  

I spend the next few hours in disbelief.  I eventually dial Tex again, hoping that I misheard or this was all some terrible dream.  And I get the same voice, almost laughing at me this time.  "Accounting 110 . . . F . . . ."  I slam the phone down again, and wonder if I have to call the law school and tell them I flunked a course and don't actually yet have an undergraduate degree.  And do I call the undergrad administration and ask if I'm actually allowed to walk during upcoming graduation ceremony?  Fuck me.

Then I get a thought.  I dial up Tex yet again.  "Accounting 110 . . . F . . . . . . . . . Pass."  I realized that the course code was Accounting 110F, and I got trick-fucked by the long pauses of automated telephone system. 

Nice one, Tex.  Real nice. 

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

^

Shit, I teach an "F" course and I still didn't know where your admissions odyssey was heading.  I'm glad you called back one more time before you called the Law School.  I was too busy being pissed at TEX for the long pauses to tell me my selection was full, I never realized the possibility of courses that had "D" or "F" modifier after the course number.  Man, I'm glad you can laugh about it now but I bet at the time you were a complete wreck with some dark shit going through your head.

"......thank you for calling TEX...the telephone enrollment exchange for the University of Texas...at Austin.  And also, sometimes automated instigator and torturer of young people"