B12 OFFICIALS SUUUUUUUUCK

LTtxfan

1 minute ago, TXSooner518 said:

I think the hit was late, and was "overly impactful" if that makes sense. Like if you get to the QB right as he throws it won't get flagged but if you do that, then pick him up and drive him through the ground it will. I think they should have just said "roughing the passer" or "unnecessary roughness" depending on how horsecollar applies when you aren't a ball carrier.  If I'm a DB, and I want a WR out of the way and he has his back to me, can I grab him by the collar and pull him down? 

it wasn't late and the dude was getting blocked while doing it.  there is a reason they specifically allow the exception for in the pocket/between the tackles.  It was a missed call.  end of story.  its fine.  they suck at officiating and one day for us it won't matter.

9 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

it wasn't late and the dude was getting blocked while doing it.  there is a reason they specifically allow the exception for in the pocket/between the tackles.  It was a missed call.  end of story.  its fine.  they suck at officiating and one day for us it won't matter.

Dude was off the block well before he grabbed Grier man.

http://imgur.com/E7SkuHK

Also directly from the rule:  "Note that the tackle box disintegrates when the ball leaves it."

Edited by TXSooner518

1 minute ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

There's also no way that should've been called roughing the passer either.  He clearly has him right after the ball is released. 

You don't think he knew Grier threw?  Roughing the passer includes throwing the QB down when it is obvious the ball has been thrown. The rule also does not include the term egregiously late.

3 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Dude was off the block well before he grabbed Grier man.

http://imgur.com/E7SkuHK

he was getting blocked, disengaged, reached out. show a video of it. tell me where the ball is when he actually touches the ball.  the guy is in the pocket, it isn't late.  Its a bad call and every one knows it.  they can just change the rule and say no horsecollar at all anywhere.

• Like 1

Just now, TXSooner518 said:

You don't think he knew Grier threw?  Roughing the passer includes throwing the QB down when it is obvious the ball has been thrown. The rule also does not include the term egregiously late.

Now you are a sooner pshycic.  whatever.

How is it obvious when it's that close? He's less then a step away when the ball is thrown. That happens every game with no call. 

There are tons of roughing penalties where contact is made around the time the QB throws but then the defender pulls or throws him down and gets flagged. Also like I posted the tackle box disappeared when he threw so the horse collar exception no longer existed. The ref did announce “after the quarterback passed” so maybe that’s what he was referencing.

I linked the video above.

• Fuck You 2

You're wrong. It's OK to be wrong.
Are you a Big 12 official? Bob Bowlsby?

Not wrong when I’m using and quoting the rules. I admitted happily I was wrong about how the penalty was announced.

The rule says you can’t pull the QB down if it’s obvious the ball has been thrown. That’s debatable on this play I agree.

It also says you can’t horsecollar the QB if the ball has left the tackle box. How long do you think a ball thrown by Grier takes to go 12 feet?
  • Fuck You 2

15 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Not wrong when I’m using and quoting the rules. I admitted happily I was wrong about how the penalty was announced.

The rule says you can’t pull the QB down if it’s obvious the ball has been thrown. That’s debatable on this play I agree.

It also says you can’t horsecollar the QB if the ball has left the tackle box. How long do you think a ball thrown by Grier takes to go 12 feet?

don't know.  you are the psychic and physics expert on the thread.

don't know.  you are the psychic and physics expert on the thread.

Oh JFC. Doesn’t require being a psychic. The rule is phrased that way for roughing. How is roughing ever thrown if not by psychics? How did they know it was obvious?

As to the physics, NFL QBs can throw in the 50-60 mph range. Let’s say Grier threw this pass at 35 mph. That means it goes 51 feet per second so it was outside the tackle box less than a quarter second after leaving his hand. The still shot has the ball just off his fingers and the Texas player hasn’t touched Grier yet. Hence by the time he horsecollared him, the ball was outside the tackle box, making it a penalty to horsecollar the QB.
  • Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Oh JFC. Doesn’t require being a psychic. The rule is phrased that way for roughing. How is roughing ever thrown if not by psychics? How did they know it was obvious?

As to the physics, NFL QBs can throw in the 50-60 mph range. Let’s say Grier threw this pass at 35 mph. That means it goes 51 feet per second so it was outside the tackle box less than a quarter second after leaving his hand. The still shot has the ball just off his fingers and the Texas player hasn’t touched Grier yet. Hence by the time he horsecollared him, the ball was outside the tackle box, making it a penalty to horsecollar the QB.

They didn't call roughing, because the defender was going for the tackle as the ball was being thrown. They called horsecollar, which was horse shit.

20 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

see, I told you that you were the expert.  good job. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

You can't 'tackle' someone who doesn't have the ball ergo you can't horsecollar tackle someone who doesn't have the ball. So it couldn't be a horsecollar, which is what he called and is documented.  Maybe he meant roughing the passer, but that wasn't what he said. Words matter

1 minute ago, Dennis Taylor said:

You can't 'tackle' someone who doesn't have the ball ergo you can't horsecollar tackle someone who doesn't have the ball. So it couldn't be a horsecollar, which is what he called and is documented.  Maybe he meant roughing the passer, but that wasn't what he said. Words matter

The rulebook seems to contemplate that you can, hence the talk of potential passers and the ball leaving the pocket. That said, the rule could stand to be clearer, and I am curious if the official stance is that you can always pull any player down by the horsecollar as long as they don't have the ball. That doesn't seem right.

• Fuck You 2

Nobody pointing out that it wasn't even a horsecollar?  Inside pocket, passer, blah, blah be damned - there's no penalty for grabbing the front of a player.

It was definitely a weak one if one at all. And I love that we got an OU fan on here lecturing us on it when it’s a penalty because it was bitch Roy’s patented move.

The rulebook seems to contemplate that you can, hence the talk of potential passers and the ball leaving the pocket. That said, the rule could stand to be clearer, and I am curious if the official stance is that you can always pull any player down by the horsecollar as long as they don't have the ball. That doesn't seem right.

It's called Holding.

1 minute ago, Surly Bevo said:

It was definitely a weak one if one at all. And I love that we got an OU fan on here lecturing us on it when it’s a penalty because it was bitch Roy’s patented move.

My discussion is based on my interest in interpreting and discussing rules, nothing to do with Sooner fandom or players who played there a decade and a half ago.

• Fuck You 3

My discussion is based on my interest in interpreting and discussing rules, nothing to do with Sooner fandom or players who played there a decade and a half ago.

Well the good news is we probably all understand your position after the almost 15 posts you’ve made about it in the last three hours so you can shut the fuck up now.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Well the good news is we probably all understand your position after the almost 15 posts you’ve made about it in the last three hours so you can shut the fuck up now.

hopefully your directness will ease his pain.  apparently my "you are an excellent physicist and psychic Sooner, good job." post didn't work

12 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I’m not sure he even grabbed inside the pads. He may have only grabbed inside the jersey, which isn’t a horsecollar on any player anyway. 

False. "All players are prohibited from grabbing the inside back collar of the shoulder pads or jersey, or the inside collar of the side of the shoulder pads or jersey."  Changed in 2017.

• Fuck You 2

5 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

Why is it horseshit, given the quote from the rule that the pocket exception no longer exists when the ball is no longer in the pocket?

Actually the ball was still in the pocket, because it left his hand as he was being tackled. 

It's not like this the only officiating mistake that went against us, there was about a dozen.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, refs didn't swing this game either way.

That said, it's a bad call for the ref to run up to the pile when he has NO IDEA where the ball is and just start signaling for a KU recovery.  

Sooners had an even more egregious one go against them vs Oregon a few years ago, where their player recovers and nonchalantly walks away as refs are rewarding Oregon possession.

The real question is why do we suck against inside kicks so much? How many have been recovered against us this year? It's got to be close to 50%. I remember onsides kicks being like a hail Mary, occasionally works but just a desperation play. I'd pick them against us every time.

And Humphrey had no one between him and the end one on that recovery. He could have been in the endzone, not that it mattered but would have been a nice fuck you.

I do not like OU

• Like 1

It was weird how there were two instances of almost the same play against both teams, and how both the officials and the announcers handled them differently. 

One was the knee down plays. One not reviewed and only barely mentioned by Fox, the other quickly reviewed and shown multiple times by Fox (admittedly they had time during the review).

other was the 3rd down face mask plays. Ingram’s went uncalled and was called a clothesline by Fox, other one called. 

All of the called penalties were good calls, it’s the no calls that were head scratchers. 

1 hour ago, pacman said:

Clear recovery by Texas, Kansas player had a chance first but never clearly recovered the ball. It went from his hands down to his feet where the Yecas player grabbed it and established the only clear possession on the play.

That pissed me off.  An official came in from the right side of my TV already signalling possession to KU without any further investigation.  He'd made up his mind.

I don’t understand how the onside kick play, a game changing play, is not reviewed.  
I don’t understand why we didn’t challenge the play? 
Hell i didn’t even know there still was a challenge in college until Kansas challenges it

Yeah. Herman should’ve challenged there.

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

And not reviewed BUT the next play - a meaningless 9-yard pass - was.

This is what was just bizarre to me.  They had no problem stopping the flow of play and spent a lot of time reviewing meaningless outcomes, but the ones that really mattered-- like that Texas recovery-- got zero attention from the officials.  I mean, maybe it's worth a second look when, after the pile clears,  Texas players are holding the ball? 

The real question is why do we suck against inside kicks so much? How many have been recovered against us this year? It's got to be close to 50%. I remember onsides kicks being like a hail Mary, occasionally works but just a desperation play. I'd pick them against us every time.

And Humphrey had no one between him and the end one on that recovery. He could have been in the endzone, not that it mattered but would have been a nice fuck you.

I do not like OU

Could’ve scored yes but then you’re giving the ball back to Kansas. A quick TD and you’re staring down another onside kick. A major longshot for sure but taking a knee assured the win, barring a flubbed snap, right there.

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Yeah. Herman should’ve challenged there.

i was told just a couple of weeks ago that in college the challenge no longer existed.  Then Kansas did it today.  Why the fuck hasn't out coaching staff been screaming bloody murder and demaning challenges all season, then?  It's mind-bottling.

• Like 1