Pizza

blacklab

Just found this thread and you guys have a great list going...

I drive back and forth from the ranch out on 71 and back to Austin on the weekends and I like to stop at Jersey Giant Pizza for quick, cheap pizza on the go. You get 2 massive slices and a drink for $7.99. It's nothing special but always consistently solid and the owners work the place daily. The crust has gotten a bit thin in the last year or so but it's still worth the price. It's the only pizza place I didn't see listed in this thread.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/14/2023 at 6:31 PM, ftf82 said:

Finally tried Jet's on South Lamar for lunch today. 2 slices of Detroit style and a drink for $5.97. Smoken deal and as good as Via's imo.

Jets is awesome. 

I'm eating dovetail for the 2nd time tonight. They make good food but I don't like the way they cut their pizza. It's too long and skinny and gets unwieldy. 

I also didn't like the atmosphere when I went and sat down. Seemed kinda pretentious and douchey. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/31/2019 at 9:41 AM, hornbri said:

Isn't the one on Far West still open?

A few years later, and there is a new Mr. Gatti's off Far West.  Same strip center as the old one, just a few doors down (technically, up).

Haven't tried it yet but the kids will be spending some summer days at their grandparents' house off Hart Lane so I'm sure I'll get several reports back in the near future.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/2/2023 at 9:51 AM, utee94 said:

A few years later, and there is a new Mr. Gatti's off Far West.  Same strip center as the old one, just a few doors down (technically, up).

Haven't tried it yet but the kids will be spending some summer days at their grandparents' house off Hart Lane so I'm sure I'll get several reports back in the near future.

Huh, interesting.  I went to that old Gatti's after little league and well into high school.  

• 1 month later...

Not really any onsite parking. The space is very small too. It's great for grabbing a slice for lunch or take out, but I don't know that I'd make a special trip downtown with a group to eat there. Particularly this time of year. When it cools down they do have outside tables.

14 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I've gone there a couple times, once for brunch and once for dinner.  Your review is pretty spot on.  It wouldn't surprise me if that spot is vacant in a year.

It's weird, I've been to their original place downtown, and it was not only quite good, but it had a real mom and pop vibe.  The Arboretum location feels dangerously close to a Maggiano's.

14 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's weird, I've been to their original place downtown, and it was not only quite good, but it had a real mom and pop vibe.  The Arboretum location feels dangerously close to a Maggiano's.

I've had a couple meals at the downtown location, and yes, it does have a better vibe, which is sort of expected comparing Barton Springs to the Arboretum.  That space and others in the Arboretum don't seem to have much staying power these days.

That Friday's was Anderson High date night central when I was a kid.  Movie at the Arbor 4, then Amy's ice cream and "riding on the cows."

If you were a bit more poor, then you ate at Chili's at Burnet/183, and skipped the movie, went straight for Amy's ice cream.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

Correct.  Juliet was TGI Fridays for decades.  

Estancia has been several things over the years including Bahama Breeze.  

Cursed location, imo.  

5 minutes ago, South Austin said:

SIAP, but anybody been to DeLucca on Braker?  They offer a fixed-price rodizio-style service, like at a Brazilian steakhouse. 

https://www.delucca.com/menus/#our-pizzas

This is probably a stupid reason to not try it out but they’ve been direct mailing coupons and my record with nearby pizza shops advertising with such medieval methods has been universally poor.  

4 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

This is probably a stupid reason to not try it out but they’ve been direct mailing coupons and my record with nearby pizza shops advertising with such medieval methods has been universally poor.  

Not necessarily a stupid reason, as it might signal they're not doing so great. 

9 hours ago, utee94 said:

That Friday's was Anderson High date night central when I was a kid.  Movie at the Arbor 4, then Amy's ice cream and "riding on the cows.

PF Changs or Dan Mclusky's was the go-to before AHS homecoming and prom.  The Arboretum cows or TCBY on Far West for the casual weekday date night, although the latter was a harder place to discreetly feel up your date.

Delucca has got their work cut out for them if they're going to remain.  Big space and even bigger rents + not open for lunch = uphill battle.

Edited by Chet Steadman
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, South Austin said:

SIAP, but anybody been to DeLucca on Braker?  They offer a fixed-price rodizio-style service, like at a Brazilian steakhouse. 

https://www.delucca.com/menus/#our-pizzas

Their original one is in Dallas and I’ve been a couple times. Not all the pizza is great but it’s fun. I tend to hone in on my favorite 2 or 3 slices and stick to those. The lobster bisque soup course is legit. Come hungry. 

1 hour ago, Chet Steadman said:

PF Changs or Dan Mclusky's was the go-to before AHS homecoming and prom.  The Arboretum cows or TCBY on Far West for the casual weekday date night, although the latter was a harder place to discreetly feel up your date.

Delucca has got their work cut out for them if they're going to remain.  Big space and even bigger rents + not open for lunch = uphill battle.

One of my first dates was a double date at the PF Changs downtown. Never amounted to anything and then this dickhead kid I hated lost his virginity to that girl a year or two later. I wound up dating a hotter girl senior year. 

Ah, high school. 

Edited by ztejas

• 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Anastasis said:

That’s a better looking pie than I have seen out of them in my last half dozen visits. Which location?

Cedar Park location has been sub par lately.  Jett's was better deal, and shockingly better pizza. 

*CP location only

Edited by ChickenSandwich

32 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

There’s a Jett’s going into Mueller. What do they do well?

Detroit style. 

the lunch special is 2 large pieces (almost as big as a small pie at 313) and a drink for $7.99. 

It’s not as good as peak 313 but way cheaper and solid overall. 

*bold pepperoni > standard. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 8/14/2023 at 5:01 PM, HenryJames said:

There’s a Jett’s going into Mueller. What do they do well?

On 8/14/2023 at 5:33 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

Detroit style. 

the lunch special is 2 large pieces (almost as big as a small pie at 313) and a drink for $7.99. 

It’s not as good as peak 313 but way cheaper and solid overall. 

*bold pepperoni > standard. 

This is very exciting.  The one down south is solid.