Uniform Pron

JimmyHoffa

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/16/2019 at 7:18 PM, Underdog said:

Is that Applewhite next to DKR?  If so, dude's a warlock.  Also, pretty sure #18 was the inspiration for the Scott Bakula character in Unnecessary Roughness. 

That's Donnie Wigginton, who was the holder for the extra point that put us ahead of Arkansas in 1969.

So I'm like a week late, but I really liked this road look we rolled out against Oregon State.  I love the triple-stripe helmet and the overall clean look. My only quibble is that i would have done the black face mask and the black brand outlined in orange to match the black numbers outlined in orange.  Still very sharp though.

spacer.png

• Like 3

1 minute ago, oSuJeff97 said:

So I'm like a week late, but I really liked this road look we rolled out against Oregon State.  I love the triple-stripe helmet and the overall clean look. My only quibble is that i would have done the black face mask and the black brand outlined in orange to match the black numbers outlined in orange.  Still very sharp though.

spacer.png

You’re right about the helmets. But the pants would look so much better if they mimicked that same stripe-at the least, get rid of the writing, that’s a terrible trend. And I’ve never liked that collar.

The Sanders era throwback from last year, or little variations on it if they insist on changing things up, that also look classic-like the helmet stripes here or the black helmets with the brand-are just a better look.

• Like 3

^^^

Agreed.  The funny thing about the writing on the leg and the collar are that I don't really feel like I see them live or on TV.  The only time I really notice them are in still photos like the one above.

And yeah - we'll never have a better look than this. I wish this was just our standard uniform all the time.

spacer.png

• Like 7

2 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

spacer.png

Looked like Oregon State playing Oregon State.  Lick the Beavers!

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

Not sure if these are new or not. I thought they wore something like this last year. Not bad.

These are fantastic. The service academies are pretty reliable when it comes to having some of the best uniforms of any given season. And those Navy dress whites uniforms from a few years back are still some of the greatest ever. Don't know why they haven't brought those back at some point.

Also imo we should keep the TEXAS but yes the collar longhorn should go. I still would not hate a matte white helmet at some point.

3 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

^^^

Agreed.  The funny thing about the writing on the leg and the collar are that I don't really feel like I see them live or on TV.  The only time I really notice them are in still photos like the one above.

And yeah - we'll never have a better look than this. I wish this was just our standard uniform all the time.

spacer.png

That's a gorgeous uniform, although I hate that schools have their name on the jersey. 

3 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Fuckin A this ^

Texas is the only classic blue blood program in the country with that stupid ass shit on the front of their uniform and it looks amateur as fuck.

1. Take off the TEXAS. People know who we are.

2. Take off the little Longhorn logo.

3. Take off the 150 patch.

4. Put a 150 decal above the Longhorn logo on the helmet as an homage to the 100 logo 50 years ago.

5. Profit?

• Like 3

22 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

^^^

spacer.png

Yep. Those were damn good.

1 minute ago, LTbear said:

spacer.png

Fine...Texas is only one of two classic blue blood program in the country with that stupid ass shit on the front of their uniform and it looks amateur as fuck and we don't want to be associated with the other one.  Plus they need it so as not to get confused with other teams with similar colors.  How many other burnt orange and white teams are people confusing Texas with?

And...

ou sux

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Fine...Texas is only one of two classic blue blood program in the country with that stupid ass shit on the front of their uniform and it looks amateur as fuck and we don't want to be associated with the other one.  Plus they need it so as not to get confused with other teams with similar colors.  How many other burnt orange and white teams are people confusing Texas with?

And...

ou sux

It's kinda always been a thing in the SWC and surrounding. UT, OU, Arky have done it for a long time, along with many of the other schools in the region. 

On 9/5/2019 at 10:33 AM, oSuJeff97 said:

^^^

spacer.png

It's a fucking great uni.  Clean and simple

21 hours ago, 'stache said:

We on the other hand looked like shit. Glad we got this combo out of the way when nobody was watching.

e826f2935a5d1c22baada39f68e45b16.jpg

Vomit.

I thought we threw this stupid look in the dumpster like 3 years ago.

It looked shitty in person and shitty on TV.  No idea why we do this when we have so many other better looks.

11 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

They should've thrown wings on the Mustang.

But otherwise, that's a fantastic uniform.

I really like the shoulder and helmet stripes as a nod to the Dallas Cowboys. I'm skeptical that marketing themselves as "Dallas'" college football team will work. I hope it does though. If I still lived in Dallas, I'd much prefer to attend a game in Dallas that is exciting and well attended instead of going to Arlington for a Cowboys game. But college is tough when most fans already have a loyalty to one of the state's P-5 schools. The University of Tulsa has tried for years to market themselves as the "city's" team, but everyone is loyal to OU or OSU, or another big school if they aren't from here and didn't attend school here. Their best moves have been to play as many Thursday and Friday home games as possible. I try to support them when it doesn't conflict directly with an OSU game.

59 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I'm skeptical that marketing themselves as "Dallas'" college football team will work.

They did something like that in the 70s under Ron Meyer. It was arguably successful; I say "arguably" because it's hard to separate the growth in SMU's local popularity from the winning, which came from the cheating, but they did become regionally popular until the death penalty.

59 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I'm skeptical that marketing themselves as "Dallas'" college football team will work. I hope it does though. If I still lived in Dallas, I'd much prefer to attend a game in Dallas that is exciting and well attended instead of going to Arlington for a Cowboys game. But college is tough when most fans already have a loyalty to one of the state's P-5 schools. The University of Tulsa has tried for years to market themselves as the "city's" team, but everyone is loyal to OU or OSU, or another big school if they aren't from here and didn't attend school here. Their best moves have been to play as many Thursday and Friday home games as possible. I try to support them when it doesn't conflict directly with an OSU game.

The Fort Worth's home team marketing strategy has had decent results for TCU.  I think it worked better when the tickets were cheaper back in the CUSA and MWC days.  It got lots of locals interested in going to games and it became kind of a family event for people in the neighborhood with no TCU connections.  At one point in time, you could get a family pack of 4 or more season tickets down around the goal line for about $12 per seat per game.  Then you could just let your kids run around loose like we did on Friday nights at the mall or the high school football game when I was a kid.  However, once we got in the Big 12, those deals went away and the prices for the cheapest seats for a single game went up to $75.  That, plus all of the games being on TV anyway (often with crappy start times), caused a lot of those people to quit attending.  They may still root for the Frogs and wear Frog gear but they watch the games from the air conditioned comfort of home. 

• Like 1