Uniform Pron

JimmyHoffa

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Wouldn't it be like UTSA or UTEP having just UT on their helmet? Did UNLV at some point just go by UN?

Dude....look closely. The u n l and v are all there. The L is the left side of the U and the V is the right side of the N. 

57 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

That was one of the biggest "holy shit" days in college football history. The upset itself wasn't monumental but Nebraska hadn't given any indication prior to that game that they were unusually vulnerable. 

The 62 points-- I went back and counted (quickly and haphazardly):

Starting with 1980, Nebraska lost by 20 or more points six times in roughly 272 games. They gave up 40 points five times in that span, with a high of 45. They'd never allowed 50 points in the modern era. 

The 62 points allowed in the Colorado game was a school record. Since they got to 11-0 in 2001 (so, including the CU game), they've lost by 20 or more points 32 times in 212 games, and allowed 40 or more points 36 times, including 16 games of 50 or more, eight games of 60 or more, and three of 70 or more.

Now obviously it's not apples to apples because of the way offenses have evolved, but still. Ouch. Back in the era most of us grew up with, you had roughly a 1 in 45 chance of seeing Nebraska lose by 20 or give up > 40 points. Since Colorado violently depantsed them, it's been about a 1 in 6 chance. 

That game was indeed "holy shit," and by pure coincidence it was the first CU game I ever watched. I became a fan and did my master's degree there about a decade later.

As you get at, the game really marks a weird, stark dividing line in Nebraska football history - 

In the 210 games prior to 62-36, Nebraska had 180 wins, 7 conference titles, 3 national titles, 11 AP poll top 10 finishes, and 14 major bowl appearances.

In the 210 games after 62-36, Nebraska had 130 wins, 0 conference titles, 0 national titles, 0 AP poll top 10 finishes, and 1 major bowl appearance.

Remembering the day college football's big red wall fell

Edited by LTbear
  • Like 2

That article is a good read. Best summary:

Nebraska was going to win, because Nebraska always won. The Huskers were 11-0 in that season, 21-2 since 2000, 33-3 since 1999 and 91-9 since 1994. The numbers continued like that, unbroken by even a single down year, through 1969, a record string of 33 consecutive seasons with at least nine victories. Nebraska was always good, but the Big Red kicked it up a notch in Tom Osborne’s final years and continuing into the Frank Solich tenure. Nebraska of the late ’90s and early 2000s was what Alabama is today. They were invincible.

So, sure, there was a division championship on the line that day in Boulder, but not really, because everyone knew Nebraska was going to win.

And then the game started.

Edited by LTbear

2 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

When Texas was in the wilderness for a decade and a half during the McWilliams and Mackovic reigns of error, we were still Texas with the tradition, pedigree and national following that captures the public’s imagination. When Mack Brown turned our fortunes around, we resumed our rightful place which was reflected in polling and recruiting. Except for being the flagship for Texas recruiting purposes, Nebraska has all of the same attributes that Texas has. Frost is going to restore their greatness and they will get the benefit of the doubt with the press and the  polls and will be able to recruit well nationally again.  If I was going to rank all time college football programs, Nebraska would be one place ahead of us on that list. College football is the most aristocratic and elitist sport there is and pedigree and heritage of a program has a direct impact on their immediate fortunes. Frost is going to leverage that and they will be in the B1G championship almost every year from now on. 

Yeah, but that's a MASSIVE "except."  Recruiting is the life blood of college football, and Nebraska cut their nuts off in that respect when they left for the B1G.

I also tend to think that older people (I put myself in that camp) tend to put more stock in "tradition" than kids being recruited out of high school.  Nebraska has been irrelevant on the national scene for a LONG time.  

Their last top 10 finish was 2001.  Their last conference title was 1999.  Kids who are in college TODAY weren't born yet when either of these happened.

And to go back to the OU example, they were really only "down" for about 5 years. 

And yeah Mackovick crashed and burned in '97, but he had three straight top 20 finishes right before that, so Texas was at least relevant. It's been 8 years since Nebraska finished the season ranked, and that was #25.

So again, I understand "tradition" and "blue blood" stuff, but at some point, results on the field matter don't they?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

This is the only mistake made by the Big 12, IMO. We should've protected that rivalry.

Although, I suspect the Huskers were worried about having to play OU twice annually in the league championship. But, that's pure conjecture.

It was the opposite, there were folks in the Sooner administration that were tired of getting their teeth kicked in by the mid-90s juggernaut Husker program, and didn't fight to maintain it as an annual rivalry.

I don't think failing to protect that rivalry was the "only" mistake made by the B12, but it was certainly a large one, and arguably THE most fundamental flaw that enabled, or even precipitated, the cracks in the B12 a decade later.

8 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah, but that's a MASSIVE "except."  Recruiting is the life blood of college football, and Nebraska cut their nuts off in that respect when they left for the B1G.

I agree on this point. There are several "once were" powers that I think will absolutely become perennial top 10 teams once again; Tennessee and USC come to mind. But I honestly think Nebraska's best days are behind them.

1 minute ago, LTbear said:

I agree on this point. There are several "once were" powers that I think will absolutely become perennial top 10 teams once again; Tennessee and USC come to mind. But I honestly think Nebraska's best days are behind them.

UTenn's in a tough spot - a state that produces less talent than you'd think, surrounded by the fiercest recruiting programs in the nation. A good coach could leverage the fact that they're close to all that talent in bordering states to do well, but I think they'll be more cyclical than perennial.

USC, no argument, obviously.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

UTenn's in a tough spot - a state that produces less talent than you'd think, surrounded by the fiercest recruiting programs in the nation. A good coach could leverage the fact that they're close to all that talent in bordering states to do well, but I think they'll be more cyclical than perennial.

USC, no argument, obviously.

Good point, but there's simply too much talent around them and too much money/ investment in the program for them to not get back up at some point. They've just made some awful coaching hires. 

1 hour ago, pops said:

Dude....look closely. The u n l and v are all there. The L is the left side of the U and the V is the right side of the N. 

Ok, I get what your saying now, but I can't tell if you're serious. I don't think that was the intent. I read a few articles and they all call it an "interlocking UN" with no reference to an embedded L and V. 

View image on Twitter

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Ok, I get what your saying now, but I can't tell if you're serious. I don't think that was the intent. I read a few articles and they all call it an "interlocking UN" with no reference to an embedded L and V. 

View image on Twitter

I was serious because that's what I just assumed they were going for. If not, then yeah, that's kind of dumb. 

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

View image on Twitter

There's no intentional "LV" in that logo design, pops. Have another drink.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

The "chanting," or whatever the hell you want to call it in the background  may be the worst in the history of God.

Oh... and we see what the Teacher's College did here. They are channeling the "Storm Troopers" look hoping aggy has flashbacks to their decades of ineptitude against us.

On 8/20/2019 at 9:31 AM, Iconoclast Texan said:

When Texas was in the wilderness for a decade and a half during the McWilliams and Mackovic reigns of error, we were still Texas with the tradition, pedigree and national following that captures the public’s imagination. When Mack Brown turned our fortunes around, we resumed our rightful place which was reflected in polling and recruiting. Except for being the flagship for Texas recruiting purposes, Nebraska has all of the same attributes that Texas has. Frost is going to restore their greatness and they will get the benefit of the doubt with the press and the  polls and will be able to recruit well nationally again.  If I was going to rank all time college football programs, Nebraska would be one place ahead of us on that list. College football is the most aristocratic and elitist sport there is and pedigree and heritage of a program has a direct impact on their immediate fortunes. Frost is going to leverage that and they will be in the B1G championship almost every year from now on. 

This triggered me and I wrote a short novel on how in the “reign of error”  we won more conference championships in 6 years than Mack Brown won in his whole career, and that when he didn’t have an exceptional QB, Mack Brown was a pre-New-Year’s-Day-Bowl level coach. 

But that’s a tangent I guess. Osborne gansta-ed up Nebraska to compete in the 90’s.  That team inherited Miami’s mantle of trying to intimidate by featuring unhinged guys like Raiola, Phillips, etc.  it always seemed like an odd fit with the geographic area, the school and the fan base. 

Will Frost be able to do that in the BIG and in this era?  I’m dubious.  As has been said, there’s no recruiting base, so he will need to come up with a reason why a kid from the South or California or Texas would want to go play in the snow for Paul Bunyan’s whiskey jug.    

But the black unis look fine. 

Edited by Liquor and Poker

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

wait, removing the 150 patch is an option? Then why haven't we done it already?

Because nobody does flair like we do, especially on the back of our once clean helmets.  Before I get ripped, I obviously understand and accept the "32" decal this season.

• Like 1

Eh, my rankings:

1: LSU (Duh. They even usually have good alternates.)

2: K-State (Classic AND distinctive)

3: LaTech (they really do have great uniforms)

4: Iowa State (good colors, nicely used)

5: Rice (Ditto)

6: OU (Nice if somewhat bland traditional sets, but perennially shitty alternates)

7:Baylor (green is good, all-yellow is bad)

8: West Virginia (Cal does it better)

9: Tech (their classic unis are great.)

10: TCU (They do modern well, but they just don't have a traditional classic look to mix it up)

11: Okie Lite (Classic unis look good, but their more modern looks are meh to bad. Awful beveled logo, too.)

Edited by texifornia

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Eh, my rankings:

1: K-State (Classic AND distinctive)

2: LaTech (they really do have great uniforms)

3: Iowa State (good colors, nicely used)

4: Rice (Ditto)

5: OU (Nice traditional sets, but perennially shitty alternates)

6:Baylor (green is good, all-yellow is bad)

7: West Virginia (Cal does it better)

8: Tech (their classic unis are great.)

9: TCU (They do modern well, but they just don't have a traditional classic look to mix it up)

10: Okie Lite (Classic unis look good, but their more modern looks are meh to bad. Awful beveled logo, too.)

We not playing LSU anymore?

On 8/19/2019 at 11:55 PM, Iconoclast Texan said:

I miss them a ton and the XII hasn’t been the same since they left. Losing a Top 10 all time blue blood program with Nebraska’s history has left a huge void that hasn’t been filled. Scott Frost is the shit and he is well on his way to making them a national power again. As for their unis, they’re channeling a little bit of Nazi SS uni chic with the Totenkopf on the sleeves of the jersey.

Geez, that skull is a little nazi-esque. Well, adidas  is a German company and this September will mark the 80th anniversary of the blitzkrieg in Poland kicking off WWII. Coincidentally, it also marks A$M’s one and only national championship.

Edited by Longhorn Fever
Cant type

On 8/27/2019 at 9:53 AM, Lat22 said:

Because nobody does flair like we do, especially on the back of our once clean helmets.  Before I get ripped, I obviously understand and accept the "32" decal this season.

I’d rather us take off the patch and put a “150” football decal on out helmets, tap into some 1969 mojo.

• Like 4