Uniform Pron

JimmyHoffa

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only hated when they threw in grey and when they used the horrid sheriff badge helmet with a bunch of nonsense in the background. I also hated the oversized Pete head and am glad that I rarely see it anywhere else either. Regardless, everything we've worn since 2005 had been a monumental upgrade over these abortions which we hatefully referred to as the "digital clock" era.
54473cdfb4e11.image.jpg?resize=676%2C500
These were the fucking worst. I think maybe they changed my senior year, but not positive.

I learned long ago that our particular orange is just (for whatever reason) one of those colors that can look almost totally different in different lighting conditions, whether or not you are watching live or on TV, hell it even looks different from network to network.

Plus two different people can look at it and see something different. I don’t know why.

What in the fuck do they have to do with space or NASA?

They started as Florida Tech or something like that in the 1960s, to provide engineering talent to the space industry. They now have an enrollment similar to A&M.

UT-Dallas has a similar history. UTD started as a grad school to create talent for TI and the DFW tech industry.

21 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I learned long ago that our particular orange is just (for whatever reason) one of those colors that can look almost totally different in different lighting conditions, whether or not you are watching live or on TV, hell it even looks different from network to network.

Plus two different people can look at it and see something different. I don’t know why.

Please explain this to the UT fan base. 

I think all orange shades are like that, just a weird part of the color spectrum. Our orange can sometimes look more reddish and sometimes more yellowish, but it's always the same orange. We use a very specific pantone that is the same everywhere, just susceptible to looking different based on conditions. UT orange can sometimes look more brown than burnt orange, especially when the jerseys get sweaty. 

Edited by 'stache

15 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

CDC shitting on orange pants on the timeline this morning.

I prefer the "stormtrooper" nomenclature over "icy whites".

"Icy whites" seems like a term for teams where the all white look is a novelty, not the road uniform they have had for decades.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I'm actually not a huge fan of the sailor hat logos. Wherever they came from they did it for a ton of schools and isn't all that special. I do like it as a throwback logo and for the few schools like NCST that held on to it this long.

That's just because your Pistol Pete doesn't wear a nifty sailor hat.

I think someone posted before how the logos from that era were all sort of a template that was duplicated. Baylor's bear with the hat was the same as UCLA and Cincinnati's. The LSU tiger was the same as the Mizzou tiger/Auburn, etc.

12 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Nevada's is literally the bad guy in a 1930's cartoon.

Check the first NC State logo in the tweet. 

Just now, mdmost said:

That's just because your Pistol Pete doesn't wear a nifty sailor hat.

I think someone posted before how the logos from that era were all sort of a template that was duplicated. Baylor's bear with the hat was the same as UCLA and Cincinnati's. The LSU tiger was the same as the Mizzou tiger/Auburn, etc.

Check the first NC State logo in the tweet. 

But the top hat really sells it for me.

It's a fun backstory - sadly the links in this Reddit post all broke, but here's the Cliff Notes:

They were done by the same guy: Arthur Evans, to help sell car tire covers. As others have mentioned, it's not a sailors hat but a hat typically worn by freshmen at the time.

He was a former Disney employee who made a name for himself with the Angelus Pacific Co. of Fullerton, CA. Well… sort of. It has been said that he is the most prolific illustrator no one has ever heard of. By 1963, he had penned over 100 logos that spanned many of the biggest name programs in the country. in fact, Angelus Pacific claims to be responsible for designing over 90 percent of college mascots being used at the time.

Edited by texifornia