Kliff Kingsbury is out as Tech coach - Introducing Matt Wells! (Utah St.)

The Tower

I like Kliff it is bitter sweet seeing him go, but it had to happen.  He belongs in an OC role somewhere, not a HC role.  I am betting he will land just fine somewhere as an OC, in fact I am sure he will have plenty of really good offers.

I don't think Tech and Venebles are a good fit.  I may be wrong, but I just don't see it.

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Mea Culpa.  Forgot he went that far back.  Thought he was caught up in #metoo

I'm not saying it's certainly true. I think it came from McQueary's unsealed testimony, but either way it makes it really hard to sell him as a good guy if you hire him. Could be completely unfair but horrific situations like the Penn State Sandusky Rape Coverup tend to yield pretty unfair side effects, and most people would rather go overboard than not far enough when it comes to reacting to pure evil.

Just now, Huckleberry said:

I'm not saying it's certainly true. I think it came from McQueary's unsealed testimony, but either way it makes it really hard to sell him as a good guy if you hire him. Could be completely unfair but horrific situations like the Penn State Sandusky Rape Coverup tend to yield pretty unfair side effects, and most non penn state, baylor and ohio state people would rather go overboard than not far enough when it comes to reacting to pure evil.

made that more accurate for you.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Honest question, what can Tech afford to pay?  3M?  Venables likely commands 3.5M plus bonuses.  Just curious where Tech is at moneywise.  

I've heard KC sports talk radio say Venables might have some skeletons in the closet from when he was at K State but they didn't discuss it any further.  Anybody else heard this or know what the rumors were about?

1 minute ago, Moby Ric said:

Tech has a news conference set up for 3pm today for some announcement about the future of the football program.  Wonder what its about.

Maybe they are leaving the Big 12? Lol. It’s gotta be Venables bc the Twitter is saying that and the Twitter is like always accurate. Just like the internet. 

the good news so far for Tech is all the retreading that has happened or could happen

Les would have been a good fit for Tech except Tech fans would be too stupid to accept him, but he takes a coaching position that directly competes with Tech for a coaching candidate

if MB comes back from cookie baking and goes to UNC that  takes another position that would have competed with Tech for a HC

more good news is USC not making a move that probably would have set off a shit tonne of coaching changes that would have left Tech flat footed until it all shook out

right now it looks like CU and Louisville are the places on the same level as Tech as far as coaching candidates and I think Tech has an edge over CU and Louisville has that whole "we only hire pieces of shit" thing going for them

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The guy that Tennessee hired last year, then unhired a day later when their entire fan base revolted?

On the positive note, Tech fanbase is pretty much already there...

32 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

the good news so far for Tech is all the retreading that has happened or could happen

Les would have been a good fit for Tech except Tech fans would be too stupid to accept him, but he takes a coaching position that directly competes with Tech for a coaching candidate

if MB comes back from cookie baking and goes to UNC that  takes another position that would have competed with Tech for a HC

more good news is USC not making a move that probably would have set off a shit tonne of coaching changes that would have left Tech flat footed until it all shook out

right now it looks like CU and Louisville are the places on the same level as Tech as far as coaching candidates and I think Tech has an edge over CU and Louisville has that whole "we only hire pieces of shit" thing going for them

stop posting as a voice for Tech.

You don't know shit and just want to work agendas.

Fuck you.

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

stop posting as a voice for Tech.

You don't know shit and just want to work agendas.

Fuck you.

I don't post as a voice of Texas Tech dumb ass I just know that not all Tech fans are penis leechers and that the ones with common sense wish to put more distance from the leech days of over paying for beating bad teams and shitting the bed in big games

https://www.lubbockonline.com/news/20181125/texas-tech-dismisses-kliff-kingsbury-after-third-consecutive-sub-500-season

fortunately for real Tech fans (vs cult of mike members) it looks like Tech is not looking at Seth Litterll or Neal Brown (that probably would have said "PASS")

1) Venables would definitely be my #1 candidate if I were Tech and if he was open to it, I'd do everything in my power to make it happen.

2) If I'm Kliff, I'm looking to the NFL.  Losing a head coaching job and becoming a coordinator again is a demotion no matter how you slice it, but being a coordinator in the NFL is not going to be seen as quite the step down that going to a place like North Carolina would be.

3) I can not imagine that the Tech fanbase would have been anything less than thrilled had they been able to hire Les Miles.  

4) Manny Diaz is probably going to get a head coaching job sooner or later.  He has done a very good job in every place he's been outside of Texas.  Because of that, I'd be hesitant to be the school who gave him his shot if I was in the Big 12.

1 hour ago, Moby Ric said:

Tech has a news conference set up for 3pm today for some announcement about the future of the football program.  Wonder what its about.

---"We acknowledge and understand our deficiencies in areas that include culture, discipline, schemes, personnel and staff. "---

Whoops, ..wait, ...sorry, that's the note card for "keep your shitty coach another year".

38 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

I don't post as a voice of Texas Tech dumb ass I just know that not all Tech fans are penis leechers and that the ones with common sense wish to put more distance from the leech days of over paying for beating bad teams and shitting the bed in big games

https://www.lubbockonline.com/news/20181125/texas-tech-dismisses-kliff-kingsbury-after-third-consecutive-sub-500-season

fortunately for real Tech fans (vs cult of mike members) it looks like Tech is not looking at Seth Litterll or Neal Brown (that probably would have said "PASS")

Yesterday you posted something only the most ardent of GOB pole smokers would have claimed, in that PBT era was in some way pisitive for Tech. 

Today you claim to know whether or not the Mad Hatter would have been embraced by Techfan or not, as if he’s some coaching   Slam dunk. 

You pist your bullshit non-stop and you are wrong about 105% of the time. Give your agendas and pot banging a rest. 

Go back to RP where you’re wanted. 

Edited by slorch

4 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

Holgorsen would be a great hire, but why would he leave WVU for tech?

From the twitters, most of the sportswriters say it’s well known he doesn’t exactly get along with wvu admin. 

Even kurt said that wvu has never really embraced holgo

11 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

Holgorsen would be a great hire, but why would he leave WVU for tech?

It would be a lateral move, for sure, but sometimes you just need a change of pace.  And I think his confusingly hot ex wife and kids live in Texas, maybe even in West Texas.  I know he really liked Lubbock and Tech, but Morgantown and WVU provide the same big fish in a small pond feel

I chose to go to Tech after spending three semesters at a high level academic school in the Northeast when I realized that I wasn't going to set the College Football world on fire back in 1982.  I contribute to the school financially and in any other way I can.  I have strong feelings for my school and the region from which I came.

When I saw the announcement by the University of Cincinnati that they had hired Tommy Tuberville, I was ecstatic.  I was as happy as could be to see that jackass son of bitch leave.  But not with Kliff

This one hurts.  Not because I didn't want to see him fired.  His record was not good enough for Tech to keep him another season.  But because he represented the school so well, with professionalism and integrity.  I really wanted him to succeed.

I only had one personal interaction with him.  My dad and I were sitting in the stands, watching the spring game in, I think, 2005.  He was a few rows behind us and was being hounded by little kids and teenage girls wanting his autograph and pictures.  He looked down a few rows, saw us, and I guess figured we'd be the least invasive people in the area and a good escape.  So he sat down and just asked us how we were doing.  We had a really nice 15 minute conversation with him.  A very funny, smart charming guy.  (I wanted to ask him just how great it was to hold Jessica Simpson's sweet, unleashed rack, but my dad and all) Talked about his New England experience and you could tell then, even from that short conversation, that he wanted to coach or do something teaching football

And yes, CSB

• Like 5

2 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

i haven't read this entire thread so not sure if he's been mentioned or not, but i heard a tech fan in a bar say something along the lines of "dont sleep on jim leavitt."  

so don't sleep on him.

Well at least they are already use to a coach who abuses his players, so there's that.

Edited by jdhorn92

• immamac changed the title to Kliff Kingsbury is out as Tech coach - Introducing Matt Wells! (Utah St.)