Mack Brown Tarheel Football: The Orange Slice Boogaloo

Machinator

59 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Mack is the embodiment of his upbringing. Like some people you know, maybe even yourselves, he literally grew up as the less-favored brother - in his case, Watson. Mack was not the quarterback, his brother was - Mack was the fullback, who had to block for his brother, he didn't even get to carry the ball or catch a pass. He wasn't the shortstop and pitcher, his brother was - he was first base and right fielder. Dad was all about his brother, Mom was all about his brother.

Poor Mack. Dad loved his brother more than he loved Mack. Mom loved his brother more than she loved Mack. Nothing Mack could do was enough to win over Mom and Dad, not even nearly winning National Championships and actually winning one. 

You'd be thin-skinned, too, under the same circumstances. 

No. I’d be very secure after I’ve proven people wrong 

• Hook 'Em 3

58 minutes ago, troph said:

Fuck that. I had it worse than him - many here did - and I think gratitude, humility (I’m better IRL) and generosity always carry the day. 

I'm not excusing his behavior, I'm explaining it... or at least, trying to do so.

54 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

No. I’d be very secure after I’ve proven people wrong 

I dunno, not in my personal experience, other than knowing a couple of folks who lived it, although I think not at such a level.

Who did he prove wrong? Watson always was Mom and Dad's favorite. Sure, Mack was HC at Texas when Vince Young won the National Championship. But Watson was HC at Vandy. Vandy!! The closest Mack came to that was making Tulane a winner, before leaving it to GDGD to fuck it flat. 

Let me leave no doubt in any Surly minds: Fuck Mack Brown. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Tex Long said:

And I missed what perhaps is the major point: it wasn't a matter of Daddy's boy and Mommy's boy, there was only One Boy, and it wasn't Mack.

Yeah we have some of that in our family - my mom was a second class citizen to my uncle. Clean the house or go help your brother throw the ball.  Extreme parental favoritism can fuck a kid up.

2 hours ago, hornmpa96 said:

Without Tim Brewster, Mack doesn’t even bother recruiting VY because it was too hard. So I attribute that title and era to him. 

I’m not trying to rewrite history or make up shit about VY and Mack, but I thought VY’s recruitment went down very differently behind the scenes.

I remember seeing a report on ESPN about how VY was nearly a lock to go to Oklahoma but something fell through behind the scenes, and then all of a sudden Mack and Texas got him and were acting like we landed the biggest fish ever and the whole story turned into OU only wanting him as a receiver.

I know VY was THE recruit out of high school, but I remember hearing how Mack still didn’t even want him until GDGD had to beg Mack to take him so we had a decent backup on the bench.

Am I crazy? I can’t find anything about this on the internet, but I swear I remember seeing a report on Fox Sports SW or one of those regional channels. They were talking about the VY recruitment but it was talked about like someone walking on eggshells because they didn’t want to lose access to their sources.

Mack is the embodiment of his upbringing. Like some people you know, maybe even yourselves, he literally grew up as the less-favored brother - in his case, Watson. Mack was not the quarterback, his brother was - Mack was the fullback, who had to block for his brother, he didn't even get to carry the ball or catch a pass. He wasn't the shortstop and pitcher, his brother was - he was first base and right fielder. Dad was all about his brother, Mom was all about his brother.
Poor Mack. Dad loved his brother more than he loved Mack. Mom loved his brother more than she loved Mack. Nothing Mack could do was enough to win over Mom and Dad, not even nearly winning National Championships and actually winning one. 

First of all, to understand what happened to Killer, you gotta understand who Killer the dog WAS. Now Killer was born to a three-legged bitch mother. And he was always ashamed of this, man. And then right after that, he's adopted by this man, Tito Liebowitz. He's a small-time gunrunner and, uh, rottweiler fight promoter. So he puts Killer into training, next thing you know Killer's GOOD! He is DAMN good! But then, he had the fight of his life. They pit him against his brother Nibbles. And Killer said, "No, man, that's my brother, I can't fight Nibbles!" And he made him fight anyway. And then Killer, Killed Nibbles. And Killer said, "That's it!" And he called off all his fights, and he started doing crack, and he ffffffff-FREAKED OUT. And then in a rage, he collapsed, and his heart... no longer beat. Wow.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, deft said:

First of all, to understand what happened to Killer, you gotta understand who Killer the dog WAS. Now Killer was born to a three-legged bitch mother. And he was always ashamed of this, man. And then right after that, he's adopted by this man, Tito Liebowitz. He's a small-time gunrunner and, uh, rottweiler fight promoter. So he puts Killer into training, next thing you know Killer's GOOD! He is DAMN good! But then, he had the fight of his life. They pit him against his brother Nibbles. And Killer said, "No, man, that's my brother, I can't fight Nibbles!" And he made him fight anyway. And then Killer, Killed Nibbles. And Killer said, "That's it!" And he called off all his fights, and he started doing crack, and he ffffffff-FREAKED OUT. And then in a rage, he collapsed, and his heart... no longer beat. Wow.

I give it a C. The way it just sort of petered out was... disappointing. To be fair, it had already petered in and petered around, so the ending was unsurprising. The C is because Dog Killers is a decent band name for a group with the right message.

10 hours ago, MrBig said:

I’m not trying to rewrite history or make up shit about VY and Mack, but I thought VY’s recruitment went down very differently behind the scenes.

I remember seeing a report on ESPN about how VY was nearly a lock to go to Oklahoma but something fell through behind the scenes, and then all of a sudden Mack and Texas got him and were acting like we landed the biggest fish ever and the whole story turned into OU only wanting him as a receiver.

I know VY was THE recruit out of high school, but I remember hearing how Mack still didn’t even want him until GDGD had to beg Mack to take him so we had a decent backup on the bench.

Am I crazy? I can’t find anything about this on the internet, but I swear I remember seeing a report on Fox Sports SW or one of those regional channels. They were talking about the VY recruitment but it was talked about like someone walking on eggshells because they didn’t want to lose access to their sources.

Frank Broyles told LonghornBob when Vince Young was in high school "That kid is going to win someone a national title and I will make it worth your while if you can get him to Arkansas"

What I remember about the VY recruitment was that Mack didn't want him that much but Brewster kept insisting we take him until Mack finally relented.

Given how absolutely stupid Mack was at the QB position after Brewster left for the Chargers (see Luck, RG3, Manziel, etc) I tend to believe that to be the case.

• Hook 'Em 4

I give it a C. The way it just sort of petered out was... disappointing. To be fair, it had already petered in and petered around, so the ending was unsurprising. The C is because Dog Killers is a decent band name for a group with the right message.

Yeah I agree the story was only cooked 50%.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Pimphand said:

Frank Broyles told LonghornBob when Vince Young was in high school "That kid is going to win someone a national title and I will make it worth your while if you can get him to Arkansas"

What I remember about the VY recruitment was that Mack didn't want him that much but Brewster kept insisting we take him until Mack finally relented.

Given how absolutely stupid Mack was at the QB position after Brewster left for the Chargers (see Luck, RG3, Manziel, etc) I tend to believe that to be the case.

Mack was a stupid piece of shit, especially when it came to QB recruitment. He FAFO with the likes of Ryan Perriloux and John Brantley and was left with his butter stained dick in his hand. He picked Tyrone Swoopes (who went like 1-10 as a senior at a 2A school) over JT Barrett. We got the Case McCoy, Connor Wood, Connor Brewer, etc. train (pleasant surprise was the brief glimmer of David Ash) when we could have got at least one or maybe all of RG3, Luck, and Manziel as you said. Pairing that with OL recruiting based on the “good kids from good families” dogma and you get the 2010’s decade of Texas football. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

Man, Ryan Perriloux.  That's a name I hadn't read/heard in at least a decade.  What's that shitheap doing these days?  I remember how hard Mack went after him.  I trusted Mack when it came to recruiting obviously.  But the fallout of that and Mack's excuse machine on it was so cringe-worthy, I had to shower afterwards.  And then Ryan got in a shitton of legal trouble IIRC.  Maybe we check the wreath fund to see if we can invite Ryan to the Sugar Bowl pre-game party in his part of Louisiana?  

And the man that eventually truly helped Ryan on a path of "All Flash, No Results"?  You guessed it.  Jimbo Fisher.  

On 12/26/2023 at 8:34 PM, YGIFS said:

Man, Ryan Perriloux.  That's a name I hadn't read/heard in at least a decade.  What's that shitheap doing these days?  I remember how hard Mack went after him.  I trusted Mack when it came to recruiting obviously.  But the fallout of that and Mack's excuse machine on it was so cringe-worthy, I had to shower afterwards.  And then Ryan got in a shitton of legal trouble IIRC.  Maybe we check the wreath fund to see if we can invite Ryan to the Sugar Bowl pre-game party in his part of Louisiana?  

And the man that eventually truly helped Ryan on a path of "All Flash, No Results"?  You guessed it.  Jimbo Fisher.  

There was a big piece written about him maybe 5 years ago or so? Don't remember the exact contents, but the tone was that he regretted going to LSU and had a lot of bad people in his ear. The piece didn't make me "like" him all of a sudden. But he came off as just a guy trying to get on with his life. 

Who remembers the infamous Perriloux text to Martellus Bennett right before his hat pick announcement bullshit? “LSU HOLLA”

Some say Bennett was going to put on the Horns hat until he got that text before coming on stage. Don’t care, got Jermichael Finley instead who isn’t a shithead. 

5 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Was the the girls romancing each other text?

That was another shithead, Jamarkus McFarland (who is currently a shithead on TCU's coaching staff).

McFarland picked Oklahoma over Texas, LSU and Southern California. His recruitment was the topic of a New York Times story, which included a passage describing a lavish party with free alcohol and drugs and topless women hosted by Texas boosters in Dallas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamarkus_McFarland

Edited by South Austin
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2023 at 9:08 PM, MrBig said:

OU wasn’t a threat in VY’s recruitment. There was legitimate concern that he was going to Miami because Mack Brown didn’t see him as a fit. 

On 12/24/2023 at 7:35 AM, Pimphand said:

Mack didn’t think VY could qualify to get in and if he did, he wouldn’t stay eligible. He didn’t like the background on the parents or how VY talked. “bad culture fit”. Brewster won him over with a lot of work. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Early in the Mayo Bowl, they threw up a graphic that Mack was one bowl win away from being top 5 and tying Bear Bryant. That’s the kind of shit Mack would point to and defend a narrative that he is some great X’s and O’s coach, just like his run of 10 win seasons. I laughed throughout the 4th quarter whenever the camera panned to him and his bitter and bewildered mug. 

3 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Early in the Mayo Bowl, they threw up a graphic that Mack was one bowl win away from being top 5 and tying Bear Bryant. That’s the kind of shit Mack would point to and defend a narrative that he is some great X’s and O’s coach, just like his run of 10 win seasons. I laughed throughout the 4th quarter whenever the camera panned to him and his bitter and bewildered mug. 

Toilet Bowl King has a nice band name ring to it. What genre of Music would it play?

On 12/23/2023 at 6:04 PM, Tex Long said:

If only Mack had written an email about getting drunk and going to the 1999 Big 12 Championship game that got forwarded to a bunch of people and posted on Hornfans 1000 times….then he would have felt like he accomplished something his brother couldn’t.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Horn Dogg said:

If only Mack had written an email about getting drunk and going to the 1999 Big 12 Championship game that got forwarded to a bunch of people and posted on Hornfans 1000 times….then he would have felt like he accomplished something his brother couldn’t.

And he woulda been right.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

Yeah it didn't get as much air coverage but @Wulaw Horn's email about the 2000 RRS journey to Dallas complete with altercation at Starlight Lounge and then subsequent flat tire and the Mike Martz of flat tire changing homeless people helping him was pretty solid too.  Ahh the good old days...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pimphand said:

Yeah it didn't get as much air coverage but @Wulaw Horn's email about the 2000 RRS journey to Dallas complete with altercation at Starlight Lounge and then subsequent flat tire and the Mike Martz of flat tire changing homeless people helping him was pretty solid too.  Ahh the good old days...

Worst RRS weekend ever and I had some bad ones. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Was that the year we went to that shithole dive bar by Fair Park at like 8am or even earlier?  And there was already a lone guy inside drunk my himself and Wheeler was chatting with him and he said, "I just come here early on Saturdays until my regular bar across the street opens up."  ?  It was either 2000 or 2001 IIRC.  I still have a photograph of that bar's pool table with everybody holding up a LFZ banner.  We all look like we're 12 years old, shitfaced drunk at 10 in the morning.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Worst RRS weekend ever and I had some bad ones. 

Haha yeah, I had one, I don’t remember the year, but we rented a van, it was cold as fuck for October and someone didn’t shut the back van door when we stopped in West. A few miles later on I35 the door flew open and all our coats blew out of the back and we had to stop at WalMart to buy more cold weather gear.  Then we lost, and at like 1am we stopped at the truck stop near Carl’s Corner to piss.  A buddy had a really heavy Frisbee golf frisbee we were tossing it back and forth in the parking lot waiting on someone to finish taking a shit.  I sailed that thing into the door of a semi so hard it left a dent, and some Cletus looking guy came out of the cab with a handgun.  I was apologizing like a Chinese coolie hoping he didn’t shoot me.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/3/2024 at 4:30 PM, YGIFS said:

Was that the year we went to that shithole dive bar by Fair Park at like 8am or even earlier?  And there was already a lone guy inside drunk my himself and Wheeler was chatting with him and he said, "I just come here early on Saturdays until my regular bar across the street opens up."  ?  It was either 2000 or 2001 IIRC.  I still have a photograph of that bar's pool table with everybody holding up a LFZ banner.  We all look like we're 12 years old, shitfaced drunk at 10 in the morning.  

Yes Starlight "Cocktail" Lounge and it was 6am. After the game Wulaw and I went back to the aforementioned shitty bar and some bar fly wearing red but no Sooner logos asked us what the score was. I opted not to respond to the trash but Wulaw took umbrage and to of the dude to fuck off. He then literally grabbed his pool cue and hit Wulaw's neck as we got up to respond they decided we were the instigators and had us forcibly removed from the venue. We were clearly outnumbered 2 vs entire bar of bar flies. After that Wulaw got a flat tire and got some help from the Dallas homeless community. I wasn't there for that part just remember him dubbing the dude as the "Mike Martz of tire changing"

Anyways I have long assumed you were Puddle Cruiser this all but seals the deal ;-)

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/3/2024 at 6:19 PM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Haha yeah, I had one, I don’t remember the year, but we rented a van, it was cold as fuck for October and someone didn’t shut the back van door when we stopped in West. A few miles later on I35 the door flew open and all our coats blew out of the back and we had to stop at WalMart to buy more cold weather gear.  Then we lost, and at like 1am we stopped at the truck stop near Carl’s Corner to piss.  A buddy had a really heavy Frisbee golf frisbee we were tossing it back and forth in the parking lot waiting on someone to finish taking a shit.  I sailed that thing into the door of a semi so hard it left a dent, and some Cletus looking guy came out of the cab with a handgun.  I was apologizing like a Chinese coolie hoping he didn’t shoot me.   

Yeah 2000 was cold AF and one of the most memorable yet worst days of my life #fml

Can I get a roll call for those who were in Chapel Hill in 2002 for Mack Brown's return home 5 years later?

If you were there you should remember some subset of the following events...

1) We meet up at He's Not Here on Friday to pregame party

2) Crazy bipolar girl comes and starts to hang out with us

3) Wheeler talks to her and convinces her to move to Texas with him

4) I decide its time to leave the bar and check into the hotel so I can taxi back to the bar

5) Wheeler asks me if I will give bipolar girl a ride home with no additional context and me being fully unaware of #3

6) On the way to her house she tells me how excited she is to move to Texas and when I get there if I would wait for her to get her things to which I respond I only agreed to drive her home

7) I check into hotel and get a cab back to He's Not Here

8) About 30 minutes later bipolar girl shows up with her stuff at He's Not Here including a kevlar vest  There is an ATF agent at the bar who starts to ruminate about having something illegal at the bar and I promptly leave to find another venue.

9) I won't disclose step #9 to protect the identity of the Longhorn fan who jumped on the grenade but he gave her a place to stay for the night.

10) On Saturday before the game we found some other random Texas fan buying her flowers and I disappeared like a fart in the wind as I had my fill.

Edited by Pimphand
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

I kinda vaguely remember hearing about that story later in the season at the tailgate. 

Maybe that's why the bus to Stillwater wasn't there, it was used to move her and her shit to Wheeler's place in Mexia all those years ago.

I would have remembered the ATF agent part though.  That's not something that you just pepper in at the end, unless you're Wheeler.  Par for the course.  Bob could spin a yarn for an hour and then at the end drop, "And oh yeah, I was about to propose to her but this federal agent showed up and screwed up the romantic vibe in the air..."  

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I kinda vaguely remember hearing about that story later in the season at the tailgate. 

Maybe that's why the bus to Stillwater wasn't there, it was used to move her and her shit to Wheeler's place in Mexia all those years ago.

I would have remembered the ATF agent part though.  That's not something that you just pepper in at the end, unless you're Wheeler.  Par for the course.  Bob could spin a yarn for an hour and then at the end drop, "And oh yeah, I was about to propose to her but this federal agent showed up and screwed up the romantic vibe in the air..."  

I can vouch for it happening in real time not a Wheelur tale but yeah this tale was all the rage at the UH tailgate the following weekend.

We had some pretty crazy shenanigans in New Orleans that was when I was pushing Sugarhorn's wheel chair up and down Bourbon St with his O2 bottle and despite doctors orders he was partying like a madman. I really miss that dude he was an absolute legend with the puncheon rum.

Did you happen to make the Tech game that year? That was a successful bus trip before the OSU debacle the following season.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

I can vouch for it happening in real time not a Wheelur tale but yeah this tale was all the rage at the UH tailgate the following weekend.

We had some pretty crazy shenanigans in New Orleans that was when I was pushing Sugarhorn's wheel chair up and down Bourbon St with his O2 bottle and despite doctors orders he was partying like a madman. I really miss that dude he was an absolute legend with the puncheon rum.

Did you happen to make the Tech game that year? That was a successful bus trip before the OSU debacle the following season.

I never truly followed the bus debacle, as I generally viewed LonghornBob as irritating background noise on the forums. 

Did he really steal a bunch of peoples’ money and then they were marooned, unable to go to Stillwater? I always figured it was bullshit, but it still comes up every now and then. 

Just now, closetojumping said:

I never truly followed the bus debacle, as I generally viewed LonghornBob as irritating background noise on the forums. 

Did he really steal a bunch of peoples’ money and then they were marooned, unable to go to Stillwater? I always figured it was bullshit, but it still comes up every now and then. 

I have no idea what ultimately happened outside of a poster and his son waiting for the bus that never came. I had flown up to Stillwater and just read about everything online after the fact when the bus never showed up at Eskimo Joes.

My favorite Stillwater moment was when one of our posters pulls up with a trunkload of Texas beer and she pops the trunk and the wife of one of our OKC posters freaks out and asks "Is that 6 point?" (Or something to that effect) which we all didn't know WTF but yes girl it is not your typical sooner near beer if that's what you are asking hahaha.

I do miss the old days that was an insane amount of fun

• Hook 'Em 1