Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

4 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Both of my brothers, one of which is married to a Belarusian (mail order), are completely supporting Russia. I sent a random text to the non Belarusian about how crazy it is and he started ranting about how they were removing the new nazi threat. 🤔 

The other one and his wife are all over fb about the threat Ukraine is to the world and Russia.

Suffice to say, I have bombarded them with all the war crime videos and talking mad shit about pootin. Zero response. Good thing it is a long time till turkey day. 

I don’t know what your goal is, but this isn’t how you change anyone’s view. If you’re trying to destroy that relationship to the point of no return, by all means keep at it. 

If you actually have the desire to keep the relationship, and eventually get them to shift their point of view, the emphasis should be on asking questions, listen to the answers with no outward judgement. Give them a genuine sense that you understand where they’re coming from, and their point of view is important to you.

There has to be a sense of trust in our communications. Without trust we quickly enter a mental state of fight or flight. We cling to already established views, and perceive central aspects of our identity as under attack. Once we get into that state of mind the part of our brain responsible for listening and rational thought shuts down. We literally are incapable of taking in new information, and quickly shift all our focus to dealing with the perceived threat. 

It’s unsolicited advice. But it concerns me that so many people on two sides of an issue are more concerned with what they perceive as “winning” an exchange rather than actually participating in a dialogue. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Yeah I mentioned Minuteman because I thought they were treaty-limited to one warhead.  The wild one to me was Peacekeeper with up to 12, but they were decommissioned.  Wasn’t sure about Trident.

I would guess the other two slots on the Minuteman bus are currently filled with penetration aids?  

Yeah I think I'm a reactor guy and not weapons but when everything started getting hardened with bunkers and everything.  There is always some sort of penetrator now 

1 minute ago, SL Xpress said:

I don’t know what your goal is, but this isn’t how you change anyone’s view. If you’re trying to destroy that relationship to the point of no return, by all means keep at it. 

If you actually have the desire to keep the relationship, and eventually get them to shift their point of view, the emphasis should be on asking questions, listen to the answers with no outward judgement. Give them a genuine sense that you understand where they’re coming from, and their point of view is important to you.

There has to be a sense of trust in our communications. Without trust we quickly enter a mental state of fight or flight. We cling to already established views, and perceive central aspects of our identity as under attack. Once we get into that state of mind the part of our brain responsible for listening and rational thought shuts down. We literally are incapable of taking in new information, and quickly shift all our focus to dealing with the perceived threat. 

It’s unsolicited advice. But it concerns me that so many people on two sides of an issue are more concerned with what they perceive as “winning” an exchange rather than actually participating in a dialogue. 

I should have prefaced my post with, we basically don't have a relationship and I would likely not piss on fire to put the one with the wife out. The other and I talk shit all the time and he gets over it. We have a loose relationship. Not worried.

36 minutes ago, staboner said:

where are you again? if you care to answer that is. 

good luck to you and your friends. 

and indeed motherfuck putin

I am in Texas. They are there. My focus is SW Asia and Africa, but I will watch for them. Just a matter of expanding sources. 

They are the bad asses in the field and have been there when it was my turn. 

And appreciate the good will. 

Putin sucks Stoop's dick. 

Edited by InkaUtexas
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Holy fuck. It killed my productivity today, but I’m finally caught back up on this thread. 

The thread would probably move at half the speed that it is if people would stop reposting the image of the Ukrainian farmers’ comparative military size. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Yeah.  We talk about radical islam.  Radical Christians are happening.  I see it amongst my friends and my co workers.  When you are told some foreigner is going to steal your job they start believing it.  Or if their friends didn't get hired but a minority got hired and it trickles into their mindset.  It's scary as hell.  Eventually some bad shit will happen but one of my good friends works for Boeing and he's on their helicopter project.  When I first met him he was really apolitical.  Just some random nerd.  He is off the wall crazy now when it comes to white is right.  Hell even one of my good friends I went to nuke school with and was on the submarine with.  I was a groomsmen in his wedding.  We have a core group of 9 of us that go vacation every year with or were groomsmen best man in each other's wedding.  Our buddy got married last year and said man I cant invite him he hates Mexicans and I don't want my family to whip his ass.  

Well, I don’t know that I would say radical Christians is happening. It’s more like it’s always happened. Radical Buddhists. Radical Zionists. Radical communists. Radical capitalists. But I understand what you mean. Religions are particularly prone to it. 

The history of religion in this country is fascinating to me. For the most part with a few exceptions, religion didn’t enter politics. William Jennings Bryan made a big deal out of it, but as many times as he was nominated he never win the presidency. JFK’s Catholicism was an issue, particularly because many Protestants felt like he’d take orders from the Pope. Then in the early 70s Protestants became politically active as a bloc, and when I say Protestants I primarily mean white Protestants. They helped the Republican Party gain control of the South, so that by ‘94 they helped Newt Gingrich and Co. take control of the House on a regular basis for the first time in 60 years. 

There’s been a relatively recent schism in the big mainstream Protestant groups. Homosexuality and any LBQT+ topic has become a watershed. Support for Trump. Equality for women. Many of these have become litmus tests regarding whether you’re a “true” Christian or not. If you say the wrong answer, you’re not considered a part of the tribe. It includes things like evolution, and climate change (wut?). Immigration. And now I’m seeing Putin and Russia being included. Again, as long as you check all the right boxes you can be a part of the clan regardless of what race you are, but it’s not an accident that’s it’s overwhelmingly white. 

I’m glad you have your friends. It’s important that all of us are exposed to other views and people of different persuasions, otherwise we lean into our natural tendency towards tribalism and a hostile view of “others.” Having seminal experiences of being a part of a close knit team like you were on a sub is critical to that. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I should have prefaced my post with, we basically don't have a relationship and I would likely not piss on fire to put the one with the wife out. The other and I talk shit all the time and he gets over it. We have a loose relationship. Not worried.

I saw your other post about being a world class asshole, lol. 

It was unsolicited advice. My apologies if it was unwelcome. It was not my intention to be overly intrusive. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, heso said:

Holy fuck. It killed my productivity today, but I’m finally caught back up on this thread. 

The thread would probably move at half the speed that it is if people would stop reposting the image of the Ukrainian farmers’ comparative military size. 

Pop Tv Reaction GIF by Schitt's Creek

37 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Dude, that young woman froze in the moment and doesn’t need to be constantly reminded of it. She actually isn’t as brainless as she sounded in that moment and it is past time this meme died.

And would like the fist of an angry god.

image.gif.0b22908839502fc108a65358875d0809.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Homercles said:

Legit no CR here:

Believe you said upthread that you’re pretty right leaning, which often makes me cringe because I expect to hear a lot of easily refuted nonsense…but it’s reasoned perspectives like yours that have me respect your conservative viewpoints and feel a legit, measured dialog would be possible and productive.  Keep up the good fight against people who’ve legit gotten swallowed up in the hate machine. 

My Chinese policy professor at UT said something that kind of stuck with me.  I started out pretty left leaning with grand ideas.  He said it's with the left that comes up with the good ideas.  It's the guys on the right that is able to make it work.  And I decided that's where I rather be.  You can tell me if we make unicorn farts produce electricity it would work.  But when you ask how a unicorn fart produces electricity.  No one has a clue.  I rather be the guy who is more realistic.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ftf82 said:

Side topic, probably worthy of its own thread on the Quackenbush forum on Hornfans, but after hearing about B-52s flying missions I went down the rabbit hole and sure enough they are now in the Ship of Theseus discussion. 

Wiki

I'm a huge fan of the BUFFs.  It's just a solid ass airframe.  Rip out the guts and put better electronics on it and a bunch of missiles.  Its payload is unbelievable.  But you're absolutely right. It ain't the plane that was out in the 60s.  The most modern variant can take out a lot of random things.  Their standoff missiles have enough range to take almost any fighter jet out of the sky.  

• Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Legit no CR here:

Believe you said upthread that you’re pretty right leaning, which often makes me cringe because I expect to hear a lot of easily refuted nonsense…but it’s reasoned perspectives like yours that have me respect your conservative viewpoints and feel a legit, measured dialog would be possible and productive.  Keep up the good fight against people who’ve legit gotten swallowed up in the hate machine. 

Get a room.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

56 minutes ago, heso said:

image.png.62b04bde9df54c796bbb47f29557c741.png

• Haha 3
  • Fuck You 1

RE: The Tsar Bomba a few pages back.

Few years ago, the Russians declassified an internal documentary they made about the design, production and firing of the weapon.  It's on Youtube, with English subtitles (if subtitles aren't loading, click on the CC in the lower right hand corner).  Just over 40 minutes long.  Open up a new tab and get entertained for a bit:

Edited by Francisco 2.0

4 hours ago, Loop 1604 said:

While we continue to cheer on the pouring out bottles of Stolichnaya and the widespread posting of Ukrainian flags on blue check mark accounts- the US continues to import millions of barrels of Russian oil each day.

Kinda sad really. 

4 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

No it doesn't. The US imports a total of like 7 million barrels a day. A very small percentage of that is from Russia, and I'm betting its dropped off considerably. In December, the US imported a total of 12.5 million barrels of petroleum products from Russia. Like 3 million barrels of it was crude oil. And that's for the entire month. 

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_move_impcus_a2_nus_ep00_im0_mbbl_m.htm

Based on the latest data from the U.S. Energy and Information Administration, Canada is far and away the largest single exporter @ just over 4M barrels a day.  Russia is a significant individual exporter of crude oi to Americal, being 4th on the list (after Mexico @600K/d, Saudi Arabia @431K/d.  Russia is just over 400K/d.  From there it jumps down fairly significantly (200K/d.).

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/us-oil-imports-by-country

Not millions of barrels, but still a significant proportion of U.S. imports.  Enough to consider upping imports per other countries or increasing domestic production.  Of course that would also mean building an extra refinery or two.  Which I believe we should do just for this exact reason... emergency production.   If we can rattle on about being prepared with the grid in case of a freeze or significant weather event, we sure can say the same about war.   

I believe Congress will succeed in getting us to stop buying Russian oil, at least I hope so.  Given this situation, cutting their energy receipts goes far proportionately above mere percentages.  At $40M or more per day, it should end - quickly.

Edited by phdhorn

Half of America doesn't know where Colombia is.  Or Lithuania.  Or Germany.  

I fail to see why knowing exactly where a country is located on a map has anything to do with giving a shit about the innocent people who live there. I probably wouldn’t score 100 identifying every US state, but I care when bad shit happens to it’s residents.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

I think I would just keep reminding him he had to import pussy in every disagreement.

When I was in training one of the instrument reps was a total dork and he had an insanely hot mail order wife from one of the former Soviet republics. Basically their options were  marrying a bald fat alcoholic 20 years older than them or going the mail order route. He was a really nice guy and she seemed happy w him but an American girl who looked like that wouldn’t have looked twice at him

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

Yup. Had a convo with a military veteran who asked “What’s so bad about Putin?” 

Its just, daymn. Its not about politics either, buddy he’s our enemy. For good fucking reason.

I’m having a hard time understanding why, looking at history, we cannot accept that evil is real, hasn’t suddenly gone out of style, and that it is exceedingly likely that Putin will need to be smashed, hopefully by Father Time but if not, and more likely, before then by a cataclysmic conflict that will result in immense death and destruction. While we can and should do everything we can to avoid it, please help me understand why everything is different this time?

Edited by J.R.
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

For the weapons guys, how accurate is this when firing and forget like this?

RPGs aren't considered fire and forget, they are unguided rockets. Would be like saying a rifle is fire and forget, technically yea, once you pull the trigger you can forget about guiding it. 

Javelins and other ATGMs are fire & forget if the round guides itself to the target after launch vs you having to stay aimed at the target and guide the round yourself, like a TOW. 

5 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

When I was in training one of the instrument reps was a total dork and he had an insanely hot mail order wife from one of the former Soviet republics. Basically their options were  marrying a bald fat alcoholic 20 years older than them or going the mail order route. He was a really nice guy and she seemed happy w him but an American girl who looked like that wouldn’t have looked twice at him

My old boss was an ex-Navy nuke that married a Ukrainian mail order bride. He was very nice but nerdy and goofy. She was close to 20 years younger than him. Not really a looker. Very smart but very weird.