Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Putin has made sure that nobody is as feared or strong as he is, so whoever comes after will probably be looking to make deals.  Places like Chechnya will probably bail on Russia, along with some other republics .  I don’t see Belarus surviving under its current leadership.

Whoever comes after Putin will have to make deals quickly, both internally and externally, because the EU is making moves to completely wean itself off of Russian oil and gas, and Western companies are looking to get Ukrainian oil and gas into production in a big way, with the EU being a principal buyer.

Shit is going to be the Wild West in Russia. I imagine they will be chaotic for quite a while.

Thanks. Do you subscribe to Stratfor? I would guess that they have written about it.

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

It's so vital to their economy, I think they'll commit every last resource they have, to maintaining it.  They'll patch it with duct tape, bailing wire, and the dead bodies of 100,000 Russians to keep it together.

If/when the Russian oil stops flowing, it'll pretty much signify the end of Russia.  I don't think it'll get that far. 

They will just send any/all broken parts back to the manufacturer in Germany, who then sends it to Canada for repair, and finally, Germany throws a teenage level hissy fit to get it back for Russia.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

So a little more context for the article.  They aren’t just fighting “heathens,” they are repeating the Baptism of Rus’, which in history was carried out in Kyiv by Prince Volodymyr and brought Orthodoxy to Ukraine and all Rus’. It is also Ukrainian Statehood Day.  Putin is to be compared to Aleksandr Nevsky, who also unified medieval Rus’ and defeated the Swedes at the Neva and most famously the Teutonic Knights on the famous Battle on the Ice where the heavy Knight cavalry crashed through a frozen lake. The collective West is to be compared to the Commonwealth, the Knights, Sweden, the Third Reich, and NATO. 

I don't know exactly what the fuck you're talking about, but I'm damn impressed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah.  Should have gone a different route.  "Hello Russians.  Welcome to Finland.  Look at all of those places around you where a sniper could be hiding.  Sleep well!"

"Look at all the nice things we have that you don't, now fuck off back to your out house, vatnik." 

Edited by Fico
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I'd rather just see Finland close its borders to Russian tourists.

Take their money, send them back home. They share too long of a border not to have any trade at all.

4 minutes ago, Fico said:

"Look at all the nice things we have that you don't, now fuck off back to your out house, vatnik." 

Exactly.  Fico said it better, and faster, than I did.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Take their money, send them back home. They share too long of a border not to have any trade at all.

Exactly.  Fico said it better, and faster, than I did.

Disagree 100%.  Freeze them out of any and all contact with the civilized world.

Fuck Russia and fuck every single Russian.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Disagree 100%.  Freeze them out of any and all contact with the civilized world.

Fuck Russia and fuck every single Russian.

I don’t disagree with you per se. But it’s very easy to say sitting here in the US of A with all the tacos you can eat.

Believe me, no one wants to be dependent upon Russian anything less than the Finns. I’m sure they’re taking as many steps as possible without completing fucking themselves in the process.

I mean up side is we did get them into NATO out of the whole deal, so baby steps.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Shit is going to be the Wild West in Russia. I imagine they will be chaotic for quite a while.

Commodities traders and some local yahoos will be the big winners after this is over.  same as it ever was.  

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

I don't know exactly what the fuck you're talking about, but I'm damn impressed.

All about those evolved river vikings finding that freaky deaky one God behind the saloon doors. 

Edited by Fico
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

I don’t disagree with you per se. But it’s very easy to say sitting here in the US of A with all the tacos you can eat.

It's true.

We do have a lot of tacos here.

And if you eat em all up, we'll just keep making more.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Believe me, no one wants to be dependent upon Russian anything less than the Finns. I’m sure they’re taking as many steps as possible without completing fucking themselves in the process.

I mean up side is we did get them into NATO out of the whole deal, so baby steps.

Well sure it's easy to say a lot of things sitting in the US and observing a European war.  But that's the thing-- this is a European war, and war sucks and can cost you everything.  I expect the Ukrainians would much rather be in the Finns' position, than vice versa.

As for tacos, we should send a bunch to Ukraine.  Everybody likes tacos.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

This war is making me reassess my views on the Red Army in WWII. We all knew about the mass rapes of German women (and girls), and we knew that only 10% of German POWs survived Russian detention. The general western assumption was not that the Russians were animals, but that this was “tit for tat”, a response to the cruelty enacted under the Komissar Orders. 
Maybe that is wrong. Maybe this is just how Russia fights wars. They wouldn’t be unique in that- the Imperial Japanese Army was very similar. 

• Hook 'Em 5

40 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Major props to the Ukrainians for identifying, and then hitting, a moving target.  But let's also recognize the help they're getting from the Allies' satellites and the people running them.

I’m betting there was some kind of choke point on the rail line as well that slowed them down or stopped them, and the Ukrainians had it zeroed in..  Still damned impressive.  

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I’m betting there was some kind of choke point on the rail line as well that slowed them down or stopped them, and the Ukrainians had it zeroed in..  Still damned impressive.  

Ayup. Map fire on chokepoints is not new. It's just that the toys are better. Doesn't hurt that there's a Forward Observer everywhere there's a sympathetic pair of eyeballs.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Russians in the 20th Century, particularly under Stalin, killed 10s of millions of their own people through various means, including man-made famine.  

Nearly 5 million died because of a man-made famine in Ukraine in one year alone (1933-33 I believe).  Stalin had 680,000 executed for political crimes in 1938-39. The list goes on.

The problem here in 2022 in Ukraine simply reflects Russian brutality that we’ve seen in history. After the shit Japan and Germany pulled in the 1920s through 1945, the West made Japan and Germany radically overhaul their nations (and even religion in the case of Japan) and we forced their people to pay a price, and not just rubbed their noses in it but publicly executed a shitload of their leaders.  Germany was divided up into multiple countries controlled by the Allies.  Japan even had a couple of atomic bombs dropped on them towards the end.  

Germany and Japan fucked around and found out.  That never happened with Stalin and the Soviet Union as a whole.  Stalin died “naturally” after a long reign and the Soviets just kept lurching along from leader to leader.  Even the fall of the Soviet Union wasn’t a “punishment” for its crimes, and power simply moved from the Politburo to the oligarchs.

Russian soldiers here in 2022 in Ukraine do not have a history where their grandparents and great-grandparents paid a heavy toll for the crimes and murders committed in the name of the Soviet Union and its leaders.  Their country fell apart not because of some kind of punishment for Soviet crimes against a their own people, but because of Soviet corruption and financial irresponsibility in the 70s and 80s, which they blame the West for. They didn’t have stories and examples passed down from generation to generation where their ancestors paid a price for the crimes committed by their nation as Japan and Germany did. 

TLDR: Russian soldiers in 2022 have a history where Russia/Soviet Union was always in the right, even when it came to deliberately starving 5 million Ukrainians to death.  Putin telling them that Ukraine belongs to Russia is a perfect reflection of that.  They are who they always were.

That’s a great point. A US example would be the Andersonville POW camp in Georgia. Even though there are plenty of CSA apologists that will argue it wasnt a war crime (I’ve been told- “the Yankees were just as bad with their prisons in NY” and “the southerners were starving; how do you expect them to feed the captured Yankees?”- I reject both arguments, but that’s another thread), at the end of the day, they have to admit that POWs should have been treated better. The Russians never even had to go that far with the captives in their “Great Patriotic War”. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, statsman said:

The Russians never even had to go that far with the captives in their “Great Patriotic War”. 

Everything bad that happened to the Soviet Union/Russia was never their fault, it was always somebody else’s fault.  It’s why we’ve seen so many Soviet flags being openLy displayed and even worn on uniforms and it’s why Putin and his bootlickers on Russian state TV openly pine for the days of the Soviet Union. The Soviet mythology was never busted up like the Japanese and Germans had done to them.  Even Afghanistan was ultimately lost in the  shadows of the USSR breakup for a lot of Russians, and in their minds, they didn’t lose, they simply ran out of time and money, because of the West.

That also explains why the Russian soldiers are so shocked about the performance of the Ukrainians and Western weapons.  When you’ve got nearly a century of history that says you’re superior to the neighbors around you, and there was never anything to disprove that notion, your attitude is going to match that until you get punched hard in the nose.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

53 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

33 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Ayup. Map fire on chokepoints is not new. It's just that the toys are better. Doesn't hurt that there's a Forward Observer everywhere there's a sympathetic pair of eyeballs.

Yup. Looks like one of the few sidings on the single line track running out of Crimea to Kherson.

• Hook 'Em 2

Most militaries around the world are cruel, incompetent, prisoner-murdering forces intended to keep their own people down so the guys at the top can loot. The Russians stand out because they are close to countries where some laws of conduct were established.

But hell, just yesterday it was the 1600s and all of Western Europe was as blood-crazy as sicarios.

• Hook 'Em 2

56 minutes ago, statsman said:

That’s a great point. A US example would be the Andersonville POW camp in Georgia. Even though there are plenty of CSA apologists that will argue it wasnt a war crime (I’ve been told- “the Yankees were just as bad with their prisons in NY” and “the southerners were starving; how do you expect them to feed the captured Yankees?”- I reject both arguments, but that’s another thread), at the end of the day, they have to admit that POWs should have been treated better. The Russians never even had to go that far with the captives in their “Great Patriotic War”. 

The only country we have fought against since 1776 that treated most of our POWs decently was Nazi Germany.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Most militaries around the world are cruel, incompetent, prisoner-murdering forces intended to keep their own people down so the guys at the top can loot. The Russians stand out because they are close to countries where some laws of conduct were established.

But hell, just yesterday it was the 1600s and all of Western Europe was as blood-crazy as sicarios.

Western Europe and the rest of the West reformed their militaries precisely because they were so bloodthirsty.  The idea was to get better and more professional at killing the enemy. 

As Kipling said of the French, war is their business and they are good at their business. 

• Hook 'Em 5