Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

3 hours ago, Gengs1 said:

Ask yourself this, how does the supposedly #2 rank military in the world with all of the might such as airplanes, subs, ships, weapons that rival the usa etc have such a hard time taking over a country that they consider to be very inferior to them in every way. Don’t you think the Russians should be performing better 1 year into the battle?

Not looking at this thread, wouldn’t you say they should be doing better with all that we have been told by Russia how good they are?

Now do Texas Football....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 5

7 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

it does seem very counterproductive as far as gaining support for Ukraine

Nah, just open your borders to Belarus for tourists, set up a vodka stand right pass the border and a police checkpoint another 5 miles behind it. Tourists get to walk home, you get a free car. Win Win. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Nah, just open your borders to Belarus for tourists, set up a vodka stand right pass the border and a police checkpoint another 5 miles behind it. Tourists get to walk home, you get a free car. Win Win. 

You've got upper management written all over you.

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Haha 2

Thinking of the music that could be put to that putin restless feet video. 

I’ve got safety dance (thanks TurboTax Super Bowl commercial) and take me out by franz Ferdinand (it works and I love the layers from the title and band name)

maybe weapon of choice?

eta: long way to the top AC/DC 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Thinking of the music that could be put to that putin restless feet video. 

I’ve got safety dance (thanks TurboTax Super Bowl commercial) and take me out by franz Ferdinand (it works and I love the layers from the title and band name)

maybe weapon of choice?

Like the choices, but for thought. Man of Constant Sorrow. foot tapping in Appalachia. 

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

very few of us can understand the nuances of politics and Russian culture.  I don’t.   But it seems to me that the glue holding it together is the fact that tomorrow, next month, next year, and the year after that the favored elite can hopefully rely on continued favorable treatment from Putin.   If Putin will not survive 2023, or at least be non compos mentis in 2023, that has to terrify everyone who relies on his favor.

As it seems there is a razor’s difference between earning billions of dollars and falling out a window, every Putin toady should be terrified and focusing 100% of their efforts to figure out how they will survive his death. They all have to pick a winner or bad things will happen.  Wait too long to side with a winner and you might be out.  Move too quickly to support a successor while Putin is still in charge and you die.

The best roadmap for ending the Ukraine war is that asshole no longer able to lead.  The new guy can point to all the corruption and fuck ups, and blame it all on Putin for the reason they could not win the special military operation.    Or make him out as a hero who battled on despite his illness trying to defend Russia, who made mistakes because he was sick. . Same same

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Question for the thread. Obviously I'm rooting for Ukraine. You're rooting for Ukraine. All of the citizen journalists, retired generals, think tanks, etc from Twitter are rooting for Ukraine. Mainstream Western media is rooting for Ukraine. Western intelligence services are rooting for Ukraine. So the question - are we in an echo chamber?

I ask because basically ever since the beginning of the war, the info I've personally consumed is that Ukraine is almost always awesome, disciplined, brave, effective, and winning, and that Russia is dumb, ill-equipped, incompetent, corrupt, and blundering. It's not hard to buy that in general, but it's just so....consistent? This recent Russian winter offensive is a good example. We read about that for weeks - here it comes! Then literally like 2 days into it, the NYTimes is publishing articles about how it's already a big failure and Ukraine is just mowing Russians down and it's fizzling out.

At some point I become incredulous. I'm a naturally skeptical person, you might say naturally pessimistic, too. Is there really no deeper level to this than "yes, Russia really is that bad at this and they haven't been able to score any meaningful victories against a country with 1/5 their population and 1/10th their military budget"?

If I'm trying to spin Russia's efforts in the best way possible, I'd say that they've taken over a significant portion of Ukraine. Ukraine no longer has a presence on the Sea of Azov. Russia now has a land bridge across occupied territory from Rostov-on-Don to Crimea. Their forces abut the left bank of the Dnipro River, which is extremely defensible. They've built extensive fortifications across the front lines, including north of Melitopol. Of a pre invasion population of around 44 million, they've forced out 8 million refugees, many of whom will never return home. They've significantly degraded Ukraine's infrastructure. 

Beyond that, it's tough. Russia is in a much worse situation than they were by almost any measure prior to prosecuting this war. Their biggest hope is that the West fails to sustain its collective support for Ukraine in a push to take better care of people at home, rather than sending off billions to Eastern Europe - in the US's case, hundreds of billions.

Without that Russia is doomed to fail. I don't mean they're doomed in accomplishing their war aims of demilitarizing Ukraine, setting up a puppet state, and taking over the whole of the Donbas and keeping the land bridge to Crimea, possibly even locking out Ukraine from the Black Sea by taking Odessa. I mean at best if the West continues to up the ante they'll be able to keep the smallest sliver of the Donbas that shares a border with Russia, and that's it.  If there's some kind of transition at the top, chances are they abandon that to shift military resources elsewhere for the new leadership to secure power. If this was a pre atomic war, Russia would be in severe danger of losing some of its territory to other states. 

I don't think that's the echo chamber speaking. I think that's a realistic appraisal for how this war has gone for them. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Pretty sure Garland had one near where Williams Stadium is.

Yep.

and speaking of Williams Stadium…I still have scars on my elbows, knees and one on my stomach from playing football on that piece of shit rug they had on the field.  

Edited by Trey3216
  • Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Yep.

and speaking of Williams Stadium…I still have scars on my elbows, knees and one on my stomach from playing football on that piece of shit rug they had on the field.  

Yeah, my high school GF has some scares on her knees from that shit as well

Edited by Jameslaw121
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

very few of us can understand the nuances of politics and Russian culture.  I don’t.   But it seems to me that the glue holding it together is the fact that tomorrow, next month, next year, and the year after that the favored elite can hopefully rely on continued favorable treatment from Putin.   If Putin will not survive 2023, or at least be non compos mentis in 2023, that has to terrify everyone who relies on his favor.

As it seems there is a razor’s difference between earning billions of dollars and falling out a window, every Putin toady should be terrified and focusing 100% of their efforts to figure out how they will survive his death. They all have to pick a winner or bad things will happen.  Wait too long to side with a winner and you might be out.  Move too quickly to support a successor while Putin is still in charge and you die.

The best roadmap for ending the Ukraine war is that asshole no longer able to lead.  The new guy can point to all the corruption and fuck ups, and blame it all on Putin for the reason they could not win the special military operation.    Or make him out as a hero who battled on despite his illness trying to defend Russia, who made mistakes because he was sick. . Same same

You presume that that there is someone waiting in the wings that isn't worse.  You might be right, but there is a much better chance it will be someone as bad if not worse.  Putin hasn't spent the last 23 years collecting boys scouts to surround him, these guys are all thugs.  They advance by out-thugging the next guy.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Maybe I'll get lucky and get banned by you cunts.  I don't advocate the site nor the speaker, but you're a fucking moron if you don't think it's worth noting that  a current U.S. Secretary of State will be speaking about the current War in Ukraine.  No endorsement, no condemnation, just passing along the link.  If you are offended, just don't click on the fucking link.  23 February, he'll chime in on Ukraine/Russia.  Or delete the link, cuntbags:

https://registration.hopin.com/widgets/registration/big-story-russia-war-ukraine-anniversary?widget_id=HllrOBkIDIgORZtSsOTTkCsCc

12 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

You presume that that there is someone waiting in the wings that isn't worse.  You might be right, but there is a much better chance it will be someone as bad if not worse.  Putin hasn't spent the last 23 years collecting boys scouts to surround him, these guys are all thugs.  They advance by out-thugging the next guy.  

I thought he got rid of the dangerous ones because they were dangerous to him

14 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Maybe I'll get lucky and get banned by you cunts.  I don't advocate the site nor the speaker, but you're a fucking moron if you don't think it's worth noting that  a current U.S. Secretary of State will be speaking about the current War in Ukraine.  No endorsement, no condemnation, just passing along the link.  If you are offended, just don't click on the fucking link.  23 February, he'll chime in on Ukraine/Russia.  Or delete the link, cuntbags:

https://registration.hopin.com/widgets/registration/big-story-russia-war-ukraine-anniversary?widget_id=HllrOBkIDIgORZtSsOTTkCsCc

It may be time for you to get over your self.

Maybe my sarcasm meter is off.

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

I hear you.  They may be all thugs, but only one of those thugs has a messianic mission to restore the borders of Russia to its Soviet and pre-Soviet borders.  The other thugs are thugs who want to be billionaires. Putin lured them all to a meeting when he announced the special operation.   They did not all know it was coming He did that to ensure they would all be sanctioned - because he wanted to be sure they were all in the same boat. 

I do not think the oligarchs want to live in a North Korea society. Putin is willing to accept any and all long-term horrific damage to Russia in order to gain some victory in Ukraine. That is Putin’s dream. I think his successor wants to go to his villas and super yachts in Italy and the south of France.  I think they will be just as murderous and immoral, but I think it is Putin’s vision and megalomania that is driving the Ukraine bus.

I’m not sure that his successor will have the same goals.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

There's literally no telling what kind of leader emerges, other than they'll be an autocrat and ruthless. It might not be someone who is part of Putin's inner circle. Like Petyr Baelish stated, "Chaos is a ladder." Given the reluctance of Putin to allow any challenges to his power, it may have to. Anyone who could have been a significant threat was eliminated. But let's not pretend they'll be filled with western values like respect for the rule of law. At best they'll pretend on some level to get the money spigots turned back on.

My desires for the ruler of Russia are extremely limited at this point. Don't invade neighboring countries. Don't start a nuclear war. I've given up on how they treat their own citizens. Skull fuck one another for all I care at this point. I used to. I read Gulag Archipelago and wept. But I've given up all hope. They have a history and culture uniquely suited for treated each other like pieces of shit. Just be incompetent enough that it's more difficult to export your toxicity to the rest of the world.   

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

you're not in sales, are you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

There's literally no telling what kind of leader emerges, other than they'll be an autocrat and ruthless. It might not be someone who is part of Putin's inner circle. Like Petyr Baelish stated, "Chaos is a ladder." Given the reluctance of Putin to allow any challenges to his power, it may have to. Anyone who could have been a significant threat was eliminated. But let's not pretend they'll be filled with western values like respect for the rule of law. At best they'll pretend on some level to get the money spigots turned back on.

My desires for the ruler of Russia are extremely limited at this point. Don't invade neighboring countries. Don't start a nuclear war. I've given up on how they treat their own citizens. Skull fuck one another for all I care at this point. I used to. I read Gulag Archipelago and wept. But I've given up all hope. They have a history and culture uniquely suited for treated each other like pieces of shit. Just be incompetent enough that it's more difficult to export your toxicity to the rest of the world.   

Given the circumstances, your desires for a russian ruler may well be the best we can hope for, save some other level intervention which quite frankly won't be happening.  I just tire of people saying, "well once putin is gone or dead or whatever," thinking that this will all be over and we can go to disney land with these people and ride its a small world together.  Get fucking real, that isn't remotely on the table.  Additionally, if there were some organic uprising in the making in russia, it would have happened long ago.  In order to believe that this is still possible you'd have to shit rainbows.  

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

I just tire of people saying, "well once putin is gone or dead or whatever," thinking that this will all be over and we can go to disney land with these people and ride its a small world together.  Get fucking real, that isn't remotely on the table.  

If you got that from my post, then my Vape pen wants your cartridge. Nothing is going to change the Russian Federation’s pariah status for some time.   Europe will not go back to buying gas and oil from Russia, and China and India will still demand a deep discount for what little oil they can produce.   Russia will be fucked for quite some time.  Russia is great at propaganda, and they are working South America and Africa like a $10 whore. The sanctions will eventually ease up a little over time.  That is an entirely different thing than “Going back to Disney World with those people”.  I agree that ain’t happening. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, The Dog said:

George C Scott America GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

6 hours ago, tokamak said:

Question for the thread. Obviously I'm rooting for Ukraine. You're rooting for Ukraine. All of the citizen journalists, retired generals, think tanks, etc from Twitter are rooting for Ukraine. Mainstream Western media is rooting for Ukraine. Western intelligence services are rooting for Ukraine. So the question - are we in an echo chamber?

I mean, you might be in an echo chamber, sure. But there's plenty of folks on Twitter, including its new owner, promoting the other side. And Fox News regularly gives airtime to people who are basically mouthpieces for the Kremlin.

5 hours ago, tokamak said:

I do, and that's the point I'm trying to make. Maybe I misunderstand what you're getting at.

I buy that Russia is by-and-large incompetent, corrupt, and ill-prepared. What I'm struggling with is the idea that they are just complete morons and can be this bad at this, for this long, this consistently.

It's the Dictator Trap. You have one man who has absolute power. He has gained that power by actively promoting corruption -- so that all who report to him, depend on him. And he has also stifled all dissent -- including the healthy dissent your friends give you before you make a huge mistake.

He's completely in charge and no one will tell him he's wrong. Repeat for several decades, and this is the result.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, tokamak said:

I do, and that's the point I'm trying to make. Maybe I misunderstand what you're getting at.

I buy that Russia is by-and-large incompetent, corrupt, and ill-prepared. What I'm struggling with is the idea that they are just complete morons and can be this bad at this, for this long, this consistently.

Well, just compare them with aggy……. 84 loooong years of theirs.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

If you got that from my post, then my Vape pen wants your cartridge. Nothing is going to change the Russian Federation’s pariah status for some time.   Europe will not go back to buying gas and oil from Russia, and China and India will still demand a deep discount for what little oil they can produce.   Russia will be fucked for quite some time.  Russia is great at propaganda, and they are working South America and Africa like a $10 whore. The sanctions will eventually ease up a little over time.  That is an entirely different thing than “Going back to Disney World with those people”.  I agree that ain’t happening. 

No that little rant wasn't directed at your post, just in general.  It's all just such a lazy and unrealistic narrative to think that once one guy is dead magically things are going to get better.  A single death isn't going to solve massive and ingrained systemic issues with anything, and yet I hear it all the time (not here but lots of other places). 

That and vapes are silly, if you don't smoke tarltons, fuck you.  (Bonus points awarded for knowing the reference).  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Takes me way too long to get to Austin via armored train.

1 hour ago, BamaATL said:

You presume that that there is someone waiting in the wings that isn't worse.  

That's why I never recommend getting in the time machine to shoot Baby Hitler. Get rid of Baby Hitler, and maybe Baby Damhirschkuh grows up, leads a similar rabidly resentful political party, and wins WW2.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

This I think is the worst.  I've worked in offices where the boss thought it improved competition to pit workers against each other.  It does increase competition, but only among the workers.  It diminishes overall outcomes for the company and creates an internal culture of insecurity and fear, rather than innovation and teamwork.  Time wondering who is trying to fuck you over, or who you need to fuck over, is not time spent thinking about how to improve/sell the product.  This is the sense, on a much grander scale, that I get from the Russian armed forces, and Russian government in general.  

I worked at a large tech company for a decade, that used stack ranking.  Generally speaking, it was absolutely shit for morale and performance and teamwork.  As an employee, you don't want to pick teams/groups where everybody is tight with the manager or solid performers, you want a team/group where you know you'll be the absolutely top.  You don't want to necessarily make other employees look good because it might help them look better than during their evaluations.  As a manager, when you bring people onto a team or into a group, if you are happy with everybody already there, then you are hiring somebody that you know you will be giving a bad evaluation, so you don't give a shit about developing/mentoring them.  If you have nothing but top performers on your team/in your group, then you will be forced to give somebody a shitty evaluation for no reason other than the system requires you to give somebody a bad eval.  So you can't build a team of top performers who are all working towards the same goal, you are hiring people who are going to be competing against one another, and you will have to hire people that you already know you will be giving bad evals to.  It was fucking shit.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2