Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

To understand Russian culture, you have to sing along:

Doom, despair and agony on me

Deep dark depression, excessive misery

If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all

Doom, despair and agony on me.

Now listen to any Russian talking head. It makes their kitchy shtick a little more entertaining.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

To understand Russian culture, you have to sing along:

Doom, despair and agony on me

Deep dark depression, excessive misery

If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all

Doom, despair and agony on me.

Now listen to any Russian talking head. It makes their kitchy shtick a little more entertaining.

art ryan seslow GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

I want to say it's ironic that the Russians are doing exactly what they accused the Ukrainians of doing to the Russian minority prior to the invasion.

But it's not ironic. First of all, they were lying about it to their own people as a false justification. Second of all, it's like the liar who thinks everyone around him is always lying. You're constantly ascribing motives to others that you yourself possess, because that's how you imagine everyone is.

Same thing happens to the person who is always truthful. Some folks around the world can't conceive of Russian barbarity because they don't follow events that closely, and they can't conceive that a populace would be this evil. But here we are. 

Anything Russia/Putin says is a lie.  Anything they accuse is a confession.

This has been shown to be true time and again.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I can’t help myself. I read the comments posted on WSJ articles. Fully half are by clear Russian trolls (they use names from 1940’s Hollywood scripts- last name is also an Anglo first name, poor use of English) and they just hammer the Russian agitprop. 
The other half of the posters (me included) complain and call them out, but it’s pretty annoying and makes it difficult to actually have an honest discussion. 

Tou read the comments? Haha
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, MillerEP said:

He is not a strategic figure. People kept saying he was a tactical genius, that he was playing a weak hand well. I kept telling people, “Seriously?” He intervened in Syria, and he made President Obama look like a fool when President Obama said that there would be a red line about chemical weapons. But what does that mean? It means that Putin became the part owner of a civil war. He became the owner of atrocities and a wrecked country, Syria. He didn’t increase the talent in his own country, his human capital. He didn’t build new infrastructure. He didn’t increase his wealth production. And so if you look at the ingredients of what makes strategy, how you build a country’s prosperity, how you build its human capital, its infrastructure, its governance—all the things that make a country successful—there was no evidence that any of the things that were attributed to his tactical genius, or tactical agility, were contributing in a positive way to Russia’s long-term power.

Monday Night Raw Yes GIF by WWE

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

This is a great read and unsurprisingly, it just feels like a wrap up of this thread. Like if you wanted to give someone the cliff notes of this entire thread, just send them this link.

Agreed, and fantastic piece. Chillingly pragmatic, but fantastic and spot-on realistic analysis.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Agreed, and fantastic piece. Chillingly pragmatic, but fantastic and spot-on realistic analysis.

What am I missing? To me it's a standard "Ukraine should trade it's territory for peace" article. No different from idiot Musk. The author doesn't address the glaring fact that giving Putin some chunks of Ukraine in exchange for him to stop the war just means he'll come back and do it again in 5, 10 years.

He talks about some "deal" where Ukraine gives up territory and in return gets EU accession. That's horseshit IMO. Ukrainian entry into the EU is up to Ukraine and the EU, not Putin.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, MillerEP said:

This expert’s opinion make some valid points, but he talks about artillery shells being woefully inadequate number to sustain a longer war.  All over the world Ukraine’s allies are ramping up production and building new arms factories.  There was a recent announcement of a 500% increase in shell production in one factory.  

edit: harsher than I intended. He makes a ton of great points . Regarding Putin’s health, he is correct that wishing it does not make it so.  However, using a statement from the CIA to prove a point is not that. If we know Putin is ill, there may be many reasons we don’t want to announce publicly what we know - and more importantly, how we got that information.  But these are minor quibbles and the overall presentation is excellent. 

Edited by Gatorubet
i’m dumb
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

I know we know it, but I wanted to emphasize that kidnapping 6000 Ukrainian children and bragging on national TV that you've adopted one as the Russian Children's Rights Commissioner is completely evil. Not sure it could be worse if she turns out to be a pedophile. Probably is. 

Why else would she adopt a 15 year old? 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

It's wild to me that we're doing trenches in the year 2023. I had thought they were rendered obsolete, oh about 1918 or so.

I noticed multiple drone bomb drops on orcs in sleeping bags. You couple the news that many of the Russians have shitty, cold-weather gear and frostbite and other weather issues requiring hospitalization, and it makes sense they’re just hanging out trying to keep warm in their sleeping bag during the day. And I’m trying to imagine the PTS when you’re overweight 50 year old mobilized self is shoved to the front without proper cold weather gear and you know you can’t avoid frostbite unless you use your sleeping bag - but you might die if you use the bag because you can’t see or run from the drone.  24/7 possibility of death from above has to fuck with your mind.  

Great news for Russia to have large numbers of violent alcoholics with severe PTS going back home when this is all over.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

I noticed multiple drone bomb drops on orcs in sleeping bags. You couple the news that many of the Russians have shitty, cold-weather gear and frostbite and other weather issues requiring hospitalization, and it makes sense they’re just hanging out trying to keep warm in their sleeping bag during the day. And I’m trying to imagine the PTS when you’re overweight 50 year old mobilized self is shoved to the front without proper cold weather gear and you know you can’t avoid frostbite unless you use your sleeping bag - but you might die if you use the bag because you can’t see or run from the drone.  24/7 possibility of death from above has to fuck with your mind.  

Great news for Russia to have large numbers of violent alcoholics with severe PTS going back home when this is all over.  

I will be happier if there are way fewer that make their way back home if you know what I mean.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Russian desperation. They're creating fake videos of "Ukrainians" using Nazi salutes. Russians will undoubtedly eat it up.

Meh, a non issue.  When you click on the video of these stone-cold professional Russian killers, you have to worry about Ukraine’s chances.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, statsman said:

I can’t help myself. I read the comments posted on WSJ articles. Fully half are by clear Russian trolls (they use names from 1940’s Hollywood scripts- last name is also an Anglo first name, poor use of English) and they just hammer the Russian agitprop. 
The other half of the posters (me included) complain and call them out, but it’s pretty annoying and makes it difficult to actually have an honest discussion. 

Looking for an honest discussion in the comment sections of news articles, huh?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Very German for him to announce something that everybody else figured out long ago, while acting like he invented the idea.

Well, it’s that whole European war thing. The last time it happened all their cities were destroyed and 60 years later they wound up with a whole bunch of 23andme Russian relative matches. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/26/2018 at 3:27 PM, atomheartbevo said:

We and the EU can cripple the Russian economy to the point where Putin has to back down or decide how to handle millions of pissed off Russians.  

What's your perception of how well this is going?

(asking sincerely, not being smart alec)

Edited by Augustus