Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

I've followed him in the past, and he had an interesting comment, tying into some of the deaths above (the 49 year-old 2nd lieutenant, the Navy conscript turned tank platoon commander, etc.

RE: Russian Junior Officer Losses in Ukraine I received a question - how about the remaining Russian officers in this war? They must be experienced.

No doubt, they have fought, and they have survived. Hundreds of Russian junior officers, who have been fighting since the Spring of 2022 are still fighting and have gained significant combat experience during the last year.

Their mental stamina and balance have been tested as numerous comrades have died. They have witnessed catastrophic events such as exploding T-72s and artillery strikes and will have suffered their own close calls. The core group of surviving Russian junior officers should not be underestimated, but they are too few. As a historical example, the initial German onslaught in the Battle of the Bulge 1944-1945 against inexperienced American troops at the beginning of the offensive was led by highly experienced German junior officers (such as the officers of Liebstandarte AH) who had been fighting for several years and on almost all fronts, giving the Germans the initial upper hand. But the Russian Army today is in the same position as the German Panzer elite officers in the Battle of the Bulge - they are too few to have a strategic impact, and their units are worn out.

Super simple numbers: there maybe 500 highly qualified Russian junior survivor-officers. A Russian company today on the battlefield field are max 70 soldiers. So they can lead 35,000 soldiers. So if the Russian Army's maneuver units, those who fight as armor and infantry, are 175,000, then still 80 % of all units are led by inexperienced, misplaced officers. I think it is worse, but it is a conservative answer.

----

Interesting comparison to the Battle of the Bulge - experienced German officers versus inexperienced American officers at the start - some of the American divisions/battalions in the Ardennes at the outset had no experience on the battlefield and were behind experienced American units when they got hit by the Germans, and they suffered.  As the battle progressed/shaped up, as word got around that the Germans were massacring American soldiers that surrendered, and as the 101st Airborne (and other hardened units) was thrown into the mix to stabilize things, all of the sudden there were a lot of battle-experienced American officers getting things squared away and the Germans lost their advantage in leadership/strategy/tactics.

The Russians have literally lost thousands of junior officers - platoon and company level. I know there's talk of another mobilization, but who is going to lead them?

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Just a comment to say I think that Congressional support for Ukraine against Russia - and Iran - just got a hell of a lot easier to sell,  given what’s going on in Israel….with Iran’s bloody fucking fingers all over it.

I don't know if that's the case or not (or how it will play out, let's hope so).  I do like the idea of one big funding bill to Ukraine, I seen stuff floated of $100 billion, which would take away the month to month battle on it.  

The thing I really can't understand is Iran choosing to do this.  Hamas might as well be the Iranian foreign legion, and that's not a big secret.   It's pretty obvious the weaponry came from them, with further logistical planning.  So now they are dividing their resources to 2 different foreign conflicts.  I'm not making light of the plight of the Palestinians, it's just a bold move and inches us closer to potentially being involved at a time when their resources are divided.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

This poor guy never had a chance.  Every time he stepped foot outside of a building, bunker, or trench, Ukrainian radars would pick up his ears from miles away, so it was only a matter of time before they finally nailed him.

His parents are in their late 30's

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

How do you know he is lying? Words came out of his mouth. Russia remains a terrorist state. 

going forward, everytime Ukraine eliminates 10+ russians at a meeting with a missile, they should reference this, and just say "whelp  Ukraine just eliminated 10 Russian Nazis today, aiming for 20 tomorrow sleep tight you fucks"

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chopper said:

Does anyone else find that some twitter links play when embedded, others link to twitter where they will play, and others open two windows in twitter?

Over the last 3-4 days at least, clicking on an embedded tweet in my browser tries to open my twitter app twice - closing both windows finally loads it in the browser.

Completely by design.  Or somebody fucked up.  Or somebody fucked up the design.

I really wish more people would move off of twitter.   Threads is active, it's still small, but it's getting a lot more content released simultaneously to twitter.  They just need hashtags and embedding.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Over the last 3-4 days at least, clicking on an embedded tweet in my browser tries to open my twitter app twice - closing both windows finally loads it in the browser.

Completely by design.  Or somebody fucked up.  Or somebody fucked up the design.

I really wish more people would move off of twitter.   Threads is active, it's still small, but it's getting a lot more content released simultaneously to twitter.  They just need hashtags and embedding.

Yep, right there with you. Post was just boring as shit. 

Re Russian casualty stuff from earlier- is it possible that putin doesn’t want injured returning to mother russia for everyone to see, so aid is intentionally slow to allow the more seriously wounded to die so they won’t be seen by the citizenry?  And also can’t tell their stories?  I don’t know what kind of healthcare is available to combat vets, but maybe the one time death payout is fiscally better for the state than a lifetime of care?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Re Russian casualty stuff from earlier- is it possible that putin doesn’t want injured returning to mother russia for everyone to see, so aid is intentionally slow to allow the more seriously wounded to die so they won’t be seen by the citizenry?  And also can’t tell their stories?  I don’t know what kind of healthcare is available to combat vets, but maybe the one time death payout is fiscally better for the state than a lifetime of care?

I seriously doubt Putin gives a shit one way or the other.  He won't pay them dead or alive when it really comes down to it.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

I've heard Meta is so afraid of being manipulated again by russians, a US q political party, other foreign countries, that they're doing anything they can to make it unfriendly to news. 

Post is a lot of news but it's mostly the news of the day, not enough journos and no sports. It's also an echo chamber of sorts. It serves a purpose but nothing great.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Never assign malice to what can be explained by simple stupidity.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Yep, right there with you. Post was just boring as shit. 

59 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I've heard Meta is so afraid of being manipulated again by russians, a US q political party, other foreign countries, that they're doing anything they can to make it unfriendly to news. 

Post is a lot of news but it's mostly the news of the day, not enough journos and no sports. It's also an echo chamber of sorts. It serves a purpose but nothing great.

I can see Meta walking on eggshells.  Meta doesn't have to worry about the defamation lawsuits like Fox News has with Dominion and Smartmatic, but another election like 2016 where foreign countries (and companies) were able to influence vast amounts of Americans would scare the shit out of Zuckerberg, since it would most likely bring down some really heavy Congressional/federal oversight.  The fact that Elmo is letting the inmates run the asylum with twitter while claiming it's better than it used to be could easily bring down a lot of heat on social media in general (and I've seen some people making the case that fucking up social media in general is his true goal).

Post is dry.  Mastodon is...geeky to an extent.  Bluesky...haven't seen it, but they seem to be dragging their feet big time, given the head start they had on Threads, and that they were already setting themselves up as the twitter alternative.  Threads seems to be threading the needle *rimshot*.

Ideally, if you could get clusters of certain....I hate the word "influencer", but if say you could pull a major chunk of the OSINT people over to Threads, then boom, it starts to grow quite a bit, and more people peace out on twitter, and then other groups (college sports fans, etc).  Easier said than done until more features are present in Threads.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

11 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Never assign malice to what can be explained by simple stupidity.  

Many are getting their stories out via the internet/Russian social media (even if it gets deleted).

I don't know what the Russian logistics situation is currently like when you get away from the railways, but we've seen them using civilian cars (from sedans to Scooby Doo vans) to move shells/powder for artillery, and ammo for other systems, around the battlefield.  If that's still the case, then that speaks volumes about their logistics chain, or the lack thereof.  You can't reliably move your wounded off the battlefield if you can't even reliably move ammo and weapons to your men on the battlefield.

I also went on a small kick a week or two ago, of looking at Russian trench footage (via both Russian social media excerpts as well as Ukrainian drone footage), and it's just sloppy/undisciplined as hell, even if the rear areas of the defensive lines where things are fairly static, at least static enough to build up a decent trench system.  Trash all over the fucking place, including what looked like discarded food and water containers, etc, which means they are bringing a fuckton of vermin (from roaches to rats) into the trenches with them, which means disease, etc.

That means that there isn't much oversight (or the NCOs/officers don't care), and again, it's sloppy/undisciplined, which means the health conditions are not ideal to begin with, and if they aren't trained enough to do their shitting and pissing away from where they live, and if they aren't trained well enough to  dispose of their food/water containers in a proper manner, then there is no way they are trained well enough to competently apply battlefield first aid, such as tourniquets or deal with chest wounds, etc.

The trenches they had in WWI were downright futuristic compared to what the Russians are doing right now.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I can see Meta walking on eggshells.  Meta doesn't have to worry about the defamation lawsuits like Fox News has with Dominion and Smartmatic, but another election like 2016 where foreign countries (and companies) were able to influence vast amounts of Americans would scare the shit out of Zuckerberg, since it would most likely bring down some really heavy Congressional/federal oversight.  The fact that Elmo is letting the inmates run the asylum with twitter while claiming it's better than it used to be could easily bring down a lot of heat on social media in general (and I've seen some people making the case that fucking up social media in general is his true goal).

Post is dry.  Mastodon is...geeky to an extent.  Bluesky...haven't seen it, but they seem to be dragging their feet big time, given the head start they had on Threads, and that they were already setting themselves up as the twitter alternative.  Threads seems to be threading the needle *rimshot*.

Ideally, if you could get clusters of certain....I hate the word "influencer", but if say you could pull a major chunk of the OSINT people over to Threads, then boom, it starts to grow quite a bit, and more people peace out on twitter, and then other groups (college sports fans, etc).  Easier said than done until more features are present in Threads.

Isn't part of the issue with Threads (at least in the case of Ukeaine info) is that they haven't rolled out service in Europe yet?

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Isn't part of the issue with Threads (at least in the case of Ukeaine info) is that they haven't rolled out service in Europe yet?

Technically yes, but there are plenty of Europeans on it.  They (Meta) are worried about the upcoming regulations, etc. and depending on which side you believe, are either trying to force the Europeans to change the regulations (Twitter/X will be banned in Europe) or they are just waiting to see how it plays out and what they need to do. They don't have Musk's "fuck you I don't care if you ban me, I got better things to do" attitude.

• Hook 'Em 3

51 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I can see Meta walking on eggshells. 

Yeah, Meta has a bottomless money pit and pays a ton of influencers to be on threads. Post doesn't have that luxury. Source: Taylor Lorenz on the latest Recode Media podcast.

About Turkey. I think they have plenty of enemies.

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Well shit... A NATO flagged ship hit near a NATO nation port. Who else is mining the Black Sea? 

Russia can suck a bag of dicks. 

Reuters verified. Who would think Russian mines suck as bad as their tanks and air defense. 

LONDON, Oct 5 (Reuters) - A Turkish-flagged general cargo ship hit a mine on Thursday in the Black Sea off the coast of Romania and sustained minor damage but the crew was safe, maritime and security sources said.

British maritime security company Ambrey, citing information it received, said the ship struck a sea mine 11 nautical miles north of Sulina in Romania, near the entrance to the Sulina Canal.

"The vessel reportedly experienced an explosion at approximately 0920 UTC (GMT). The vessel dropped anchor for a short period to assess the damage," Ambrey said in a note.

https://www.reuters.com/world/turkish-cargo-ship-hits-mine-black-sea-sustains-minor-damage-2023-10-05/

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Many are getting their stories out via the internet/Russian social media (even if it gets deleted).

I don't know what the Russian logistics situation is currently like when you get away from the railways, but we've seen them using civilian cars (from sedans to Scooby Doo vans) to move shells/powder for artillery, and ammo for other systems, around the battlefield.  If that's still the case, then that speaks volumes about their logistics chain, or the lack thereof.  You can't reliably move your wounded off the battlefield if you can't even reliably move ammo and weapons to your men on the battlefield.

I also went on a small kick a week or two ago, of looking at Russian trench footage (via both Russian social media excerpts as well as Ukrainian drone footage), and it's just sloppy/undisciplined as hell, even if the rear areas of the defensive lines where things are fairly static, at least static enough to build up a decent trench system.  Trash all over the fucking place, including what looked like discarded food and water containers, etc, which means they are bringing a fuckton of vermin (from roaches to rats) into the trenches with them, which means disease, etc.

That means that there isn't much oversight (or the NCOs/officers don't care), and again, it's sloppy/undisciplined, which means the health conditions are not ideal to begin with, and if they aren't trained enough to do their shitting and pissing away from where they live, and if they aren't trained well enough to  dispose of their food/water containers in a proper manner, then there is no way they are trained well enough to competently apply battlefield first aid, such as tourniquets or deal with chest wounds, etc.

The trenches they had in WWI were downright futuristic compared to what the Russians are doing right now.

What you call "vermin," a Russian calls a pet.  And likely "food."

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Reuters verified. Who would think Russian mines suck as bad as their tanks and air defense. 

LONDON, Oct 5 (Reuters) - A Turkish-flagged general cargo ship hit a mine on Thursday in the Black Sea off the coast of Romania and sustained minor damage but the crew was safe, maritime and security sources said.

British maritime security company Ambrey, citing information it received, said the ship struck a sea mine 11 nautical miles north of Sulina in Romania, near the entrance to the Sulina Canal.

"The vessel reportedly experienced an explosion at approximately 0920 UTC (GMT). The vessel dropped anchor for a short period to assess the damage," Ambrey said in a note.

https://www.reuters.com/world/turkish-cargo-ship-hits-mine-black-sea-sustains-minor-damage-2023-10-05/

The Russians playing the part of the Klingons in the Kobayashi Maru is a bit too on the nose.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

They are all echo chambers. They show you what they think you want to see. I dont care if it is threads or Twitter or reddit or 4chan. As dumb as it sounds,  this thread has more truth, facts, and news than any other conglomeration on the web. And it isn't close. And it is thanks to posters like you. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

They seem to be slowly but surely moving over to Threads. I see new journalists there more and more.

25 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

I wonder if the Ukrainians are pissed about the new fight in the Middle East. 

If anything, given the heat that's potentially being applied to Iran, it could benefit Ukraine, especially since Russia is siding with Hamas (after having hosted them in Moscow) and this is what the Russian media is pumping out:

F8CI1zhWQAAQJNQ?format=png&name=medium

F8CBgDvXgAATT33?format=jpg&name=medium

F8CBntkWAAA0Gjj?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 10/9/2023 at 12:46 AM, atomheartbevo said:

Counterpoint:  The Russians are moving their rail lines further (farther!) south, so while they maybe trying to prepare areas near/around Tokmak, somebody upstairs has decided that they will lose it at some point, and risk their rail lines coming under HIMARS or even tube artillery very soon.

On a side note, some stuff from the Russian officers killed in Ukraine twitter account - first, they are still turning up dead from 3-4 months ago, and second, these are confirmed by Russian social media accounts and their version of Find-A-Grave.

This dude was the equivalent of our NBC troops, and I don't picture them used in combat very much, but Russia needs the manpower.

This guy was an enlisted conscript on the Moskva, and 18 months later he's a fucking tank platoon commander.  Well, he was.

I guess the second guy's family couldn't pay for the fancy background.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Whoops

And with those guys sitting there laughing you know that little crossing is already sighted in for artillery... or they are just waiting to pop off some Javs if need be..

This does highlight the absolute impossibility of ground warfare in the age of drones and other avenues of mass battlefield monitoring when forced into this static battlefield concept. There are few surprises and so we are seeing many of the concepts from WW1 becoming the battlefield norm. Static lines and a massive no-man's land on the ground with now layered air defenses are going to make large-scale advances a thing of the past without complete air superiority.

This also gives me pause about the discussion centered on how drones have completely changed modern armored combat.  Is it really the case for the US approach to combat or is this only true when the air war component is a complete stalemate? The US doctrine of owning the skies first means most advances would be done into areas without heavy armor support (because masses of armor are a death sentence) and no artillery support (as they are a key operational target before an advance) and so then lightning advances to blow through defenses would still be valid.

Drones are effective because they are cheap and can be used to target stationary equipment and to some extent attack advancing vehicles to a static line or position. When you do not have air superiority, the heavy lifting is then being done by the boots on the ground and the artillery, which allows masses of drones to be very effective.  How would this work as a defensive force when you no longer have air superiority?  The masses of armor needed to defeat your static lines work are a liability against drones, but now the aggressor does not need to mass huge amounts of armor because you can't either. Large groups of armor is a death trap for the defending force  (A10 go brrrrrrr) and so you can't mass armor unless they are under a complete AA screen. Massive AA screens and layered air defenses just mean you are building a great target for cruise missiles to wipe out.  Your artillery is being wiped out so there is little way to dissuade larger assaults with lighter armored recon vehicles and so now your drone swarms are a nuisance but can't really be effective because now you have more limited targets quick moving targets. As the armored infantry advance quickly, then your static lines are useless, and more importantly you are losing ground and established launch points for your drones. Once your lines are breached and there is chaos in your rear, the front collapses and a full retreat is underway.

Drones are a game changer in a static war. The only way for it to be static though is to completely control the air against the US over your part of the front. If you control the airspace over your part of the front, we will begin to see this rehash of WW1 concepts. If you lose the airwar, then the modern techniques should still have value. Do drones enhance viability and therefore help battlefield capabilities, sure.  But how is that different than realtime or near realtime satellite imaging? What drones have done has made real-time reconnaissance cheap and accessible for all levels of combatants and so the overwhelming advantage in the information space held by the US has been slightly eroded. But in truth that advantage for the opposition is much more limited against the US than say fighting someone with a more comparable level of battlefield technology.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1