Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

I spent last weekend with my Polish (first Gen immigrants) friend/family.

We got into some very deep booze filled conversations about the dynamics over there.

It is something I can barely wrap my head around it is so complex. 

Tribes within tribes that hate other tribes of tribes because of other tribes is the best analysis I can provide. And this is some ancient shit the Hatfields and McCoys wouldn't even understand.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

I spent last weekend with my Polish (first Gen immigrants) friend/family.

We got into some very deep booze filled conversations about the dynamics over there.

It is something I can barely wrap my head around it is so complex. 

Tribes within tribes that hate other tribes of tribes because of other tribes is the best analysis I can provide. And this is some ancient shit the Hatfields and McCoys wouldn't even understand.

Now do the Balkans. I could spend the rest of my life studying those 2 regions and still only scratch the surface. 

• Hook 'Em 4

16 minutes ago, Fico said:

Now do the Balkans. I could spend the rest of my life studying those 2 regions and still only scratch the surface. 

I wrote my undergrad thesis on Bosnia. After living there for three years (95-98) I still knew jack shit. Some good advice came from an US Army Colonel. Dude took the troops over the Sava River. 

"Anyone who thinks they can predict the Balkans is an idiot." 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

53 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

My crystal ball (which is really just a snowglobe with a hula dancer in it) tells me that there's a good chance that the eastern parts of central europe have a chance of becoming a new center of gravity in Europe's economic future.  There is some real untapped potential in Poland, Ukraine, and the Baltics.  Maybe even Romania and Bulgaria (nowhere to go but up, dudes).  Hungary?  Dunno.  Former Yugoslavian states?  Maybe some of them.  Once the war is over, they could be some real lands of opportunity.

I will say that in talking to some folks planning ahead, several of them told my son (international relations major) "it'd be a great idea to learn Polish."

Most Poles he will work with speak English or German. Suggest he learn it for day to day, not for business. The business language will come with time, but being able to talk about sports, the weather, family, etc is a great way to start. 

I know a lot of people (Americans) who went to study Urdu or Pashto. Well now they have a language skill that does not mean much. 

Working in the Balkans, SW Asia, and the Middle East the people outside of the market and day to day life spoke English. 

And watch Romania. They are doing some interesting things. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Not sure how this would work, but at least according the source the Biden administration is considering using a grant program to continue to fund Ukraine

https://euromaidanpress.com/2023/10/06/politico-biden-administration-plans-to-use-us-grant-programme-to-send-military-aid-to-ukraine/

If what I gather is correct, they can issue a grant to a country to "buy" weapons, send them, and then forgive the grant.  No idea how long this could go for, or if it's true.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/4/2023 at 10:47 AM, MillerEP said:

They're just that stupid. As with most things, when something new is introduced (drones), something else will be created to counter it. I would expect more and better anti-air with counter-drone tech. As long as people can lob things at you from far away in relative safety, I don't ever see that going away in warfare.

Already available - auto shotguns mounted on a Toyota Hilux.

image.thumb.png.83e3ce8318b834f5877b3ca81fdd5d9c.png

On 10/4/2023 at 12:32 PM, Chad Fuck said:

TACTICAL bathrobe.

Tactical with many pockets for your NVG, PSG-1, XM-5 and other EDC gear. 

Edited by Superhero
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 2

Most Poles he will work with speak English or German. Suggest he learn it for day to day, not for business. The business language will come with time, but being able to talk about sports, the weather, family, etc is a great way to start. 
I know a lot of people (Americans) who went to study Urdu or Pashto. Well now they have a language skill that does not mean much. 
Working in the Balkans, SW Asia, and the Middle East the people outside of the market and day to day life spoke English. 
And watch Romania. They are doing some interesting things. 

Well, he’s already got the English and German down, so there’s that. And there’s also Polish girls…
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, BamaATL said:

Not sure how this would work, but at least according the source the Biden administration is considering using a grant program to continue to fund Ukraine

https://euromaidanpress.com/2023/10/06/politico-biden-administration-plans-to-use-us-grant-programme-to-send-military-aid-to-ukraine/

If what I gather is correct, they can issue a grant to a country to "buy" weapons, send them, and then forgive the grant.  No idea how long this could go for, or if it's true.  

Then the next president could do the same thing for building the border. It is like it is free with no repercussions, right?

9 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:
Well said. And would. 

The Estonians know how Russia works.  They know that "peace" under Russian occupation isn't "peace" at all.  It's repression, suffering, and death.....just more slowly, by casual and bureaucratic means.
They made goddamned sure to preserve the Russian way of doing things, as a reminder.  These were your accomadations in "peacetime Estonia" if you were even suspected of not being all-in on the Russian occupation regime (and a couple of pieces of art from their Belarussian compatriots reminding us that nothing has changed about how Russia approaches things):

6c4e5c347c93c4f929520a710cbd7141.jpg
a755286ea6f48ea584484227ce8c2914.jpg
882b1b80cfeb10ccd38156a0ee022bef.jpg
c08e8baface5c112f75fdb7714ab6b67.jpg

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

One of the most interesting things I saw when working in Eastern Europe after the wall came down is that within companies, managers became managers simply because they were members of the communist party. Generally they didn’t know shit about fuck and none of the workers respected them. The first step to being able to sell to the West was a total overhaul of the company which most of the time was a disaster.

• Hook 'Em 3

13 hours ago, BamaATL said:

I'm not a fan of financial shenanigans like this, but I'll grit my teeth and allow it.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Bevo said:

One of the most interesting things I saw when working in Eastern Europe after the wall came down is that within companies, managers became managers simply because they were members of the communist party. Generally they didn’t know shit about fuck and none of the workers respected them. The first step to being able to sell to the West was a total overhaul of the company which most of the time was a disaster.

stOudP.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

This is from a DC think tank, the Jamestown Group about missile production and usage, it's a tad dated because it's from May.  The think tank is considered a conservative one, and given it's past and formation is anti-Russia, so a grain of salt is necessary.

https://jamestown.org/program/russias-estimated-storage-of-cruise-missiles-may-2023/

If the information is remotely accurate, their stocks have been reduced significantly, down to roughly 25% of prewar inventory (800 or so left).  However, they are able to produce an estimated 52 a month.  Mind you, this represents actual cruise missiles (or missiles of range over 300 km).

What I don't think it does take into account is the use of S-300 missiles, while designed for anti-air, they can be used for ground attack.  Unfortunately, those stocks are too numerous to even guestimate.  

The map shown above mentions however that those are airstrikes, and that doesn't necessarily mean those are cruise missile attacks, and that would seemingly preclude S-300s.   It certainly highlights the need to prevent those airstrikes if at all possible, for all we know those could be conventional bombs; so probably/maybe 2 very different things.  

The general thought that more needs to be done to help is certainly accurate, and we all have to admit that the defensive lines, fortifications, and in particular the minefields have been very effective for the Russians.  While the F-16s will be a big help, assuming they get there, in truth if someone has a magic bullet to deal with the mines I'd probably take that first.

Lastly, in the past 48 hours the Russians have bombed a grocery store and a hospital.  Either they are entirely incompetent or giant pieces of shit; probably both.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Who the fuck are you? 

16 minutes ago, Nostradumbass said:

Good point about the S-300 missiles.

As far as the grocery store and the hospital strikes, grains of salt there as well. They probably are just pieces of shit but just last month there was a market strike and everyone was up in arms, but then it was discovered by the NYT of all places that it was a Ukrainian AD missile.

I think taking direct hits for 4 months and not losing more than 10km in any direction while destroying large amounts of enemy equipment and men counts as a defensive "win".

Well if Russia had not invaded that AD system would never have been needed. 

• Hook 'Em 3