Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

One wonders if they are in a little competition with Poland to be seen as military leaders of the EU. 

Or they are wanting in on the future arms sales.  US, Polish, Turkish, and South Korean defense industries are starting to really rack up the sales.  I'm sure some of the other EU countries are as well.

But yeah, they probably are watching their clout dissipating after coasting for decades.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

This whole forced conscription, disproportionate effects on minorities, drug and discipline issues just reeks of the late 60s/early 70s US Army in Vietnam.  Grab a bunch of folks off the street to go to die in a war that they don't understand or believe in.  Act surprised the they self-medicate/check-out when they get there.  I'm predicting a Russian Dien Bien Phu. Sevastopol would be a prime location, but Mariupol may work too.  Full on troglodyte communities of guys who have just said, "Not my monkey, not my football, not fighting anymore."  Hell, why not both?

Rocky Bleier isn't walking through that door for the Rooskies.  Not the same, not even close.

Edited by jdhorn92
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

I would strongly encourage all of you to download the current talk of Sec Gates here at UT later tonight.  The Russia-China-Iran connectivity is far deeper than I feared.  And this is just what he’s allowed to say.  

Will it be uploaded to YouTube? Thanks for the inside scoop

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I’m sure it’ll be on LBJ school/library channels or Clement’s center.  This is incredible.  If he hadn’t spent so much time as an Aggie, I’d follow him into the gates of hell.  

only good news is serious people are waking up and have been paying attention all along.  His remarks on Russia and Hamas……..just.   Whoah

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I’m sure it’ll be on LBJ school/library channels or Clement’s center.  This is incredible.  If he hadn’t spent so much time as an Aggie, I’d follow him into the gates of hell.  

only good news is serious people are waking up and have been paying attention all along.  His remarks on Russia and Hamas……..just.   Whoah

I doubt it's much of a surprise to any of us.  I just wonder if he will flat out say the Chinese are the puppet masters to all this and that they find the Russians, Iranians, and by proxy Hamas just useful idiots.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

They had their song choice, but all I heard was The Hunter by Dokken

There was quite a few songs that might have worked.  I think Born to be Wild would have been amusing.

Also, there should have been a sound after the video feed stopped, indicating that the drone operator leveled up.

And I'm laughing at that story that @MagicSoccerSpray posted, about how the Poles disassembled 10 MiG-29s and left them just across the border for the Ukrainians to pick up and reassemble and start flying. That's just beautiful and hilarious and awesome all at the same time.  "Hey Ukraine, we disassembled 10 MiG-29s and left them close to your border, and it would be a real shame if we were looking the other way and they disappeared."

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

image.png.be231e33f19d76378d6e1cddc49f586e.png

image.png.a894d5e85037d92ec0dcb6fb578f6d44.png

I understand that, but consider that their logistics are cut from Nova Kakhovka to the Kinburn Spit.  This jives with what is being reported on the ground.  They can leave their people to rot (which knowing the Russians can't be discounted), or they can tactically fall back.  Considering that they are preparing the general public for a fall back via their own propaganda...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

There was quite a few songs that might have worked.  I think Born to be Wild would have been amusing.

Also, there should have been a sound after the video feed stopped, indicating that the drone operator leveled up.

And I'm laughing at that story that @MagicSoccerSpray posted, about how the Poles disassembled 10 MiG-29s and left them just across the border for the Ukrainians to pick up and reassemble and start flying. That's just beautiful and hilarious and awesome all at the same time.  "Hey Ukraine, we disassembled 10 MiG-29s and left them close to your border, and it would be a real shame if we were looking the other way and they disappeared."

We did something very similar early in World War II.  Under the Neutrality Act, we could not fly military aircraft to a delivery point within a combatant.  So we'd fly Lend-Lease planes to airfields very close to the Canadian border, and the Canadians would cross and tow them across to an airstrip in Canada.

• Hook 'Em 6

23 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

We did something very similar early in World War II.  Under the Neutrality Act, we could not fly military aircraft to a delivery point within a combatant.  So we'd fly Lend-Lease planes to airfields very close to the Canadian border, and the Canadians would cross and tow them across to an airstrip in Canada.

"Tow them ... with horses? ... damn things have wheels

image.png.692a45703656b7443345ef29b03cd523.png 

"You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing.. After they've tried everything else" - Sir Winston Churchill

• Hook 'Em 6

I admit that this thread is my main source for news on Ukraine.  That being said, I haven't heard much of anything about Russian drone/missile attacks on civilians and infrastructure.  Have they really slowed down, or are they pushed aside by the Israel/Hamas fighting?  If they have really slowed that much, I hope that Ukraine has enough AA assets and is preparing for a massive swarm attack on energy and road infrastructure and government buildings, along with the usual terrorist attacks on civilians.

"It's quiet out there.  Too quiet."

• Hook 'Em 6

10 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

They have slowed down, but they are out there and still happening. There were a few hits this week on civilian buildings. I think you are right. They are holding on to them for a massive barrage when winter really hits. 

That was the rumor earlier last month. Russia was holding back for a mass attack in winter again. 

• Hook 'Em 5

57 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I admit that this thread is my main source for news on Ukraine.  That being said, I haven't heard much of anything about Russian drone/missile attacks on civilians and infrastructure.  Have they really slowed down, or are they pushed aside by the Israel/Hamas fighting?  If they have really slowed that much, I hope that Ukraine has enough AA assets and is preparing for a massive swarm attack on energy and road infrastructure and government buildings, along with the usual terrorist attacks on civilians.

"It's quiet out there.  Too quiet."

Not that I'm a blood thirsty mongrel, but I am missing the voluminous updates from times past ...

News from the BBC a few days ago, but don't think I've seen it posted here.

Ukraine war: Army claims foothold on bank of Dnipro river in south

BBC News

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky's chief of staff Andriy Yermak has said that Ukrainian forces have gained a foothold on the left (eastern) bank of the Dnipro river.

Russia has admitted that some Ukrainian forces have set up positions in a village but claims they will soon be wiped out.

If the area is held it would mean a significant advance for Ukraine.

Russia retreated from the right bank of the river a year ago.

The Ukrainian army has since been trying to create and hold a bridgehead on its eastern shore.

"The Armed Forces of Ukraine captured a bridgehead on the left bank of the Dnipro," Mr Yermak told a US think tank, using a military term for a secured position.

US-based experts said earlier that marginal advances had been made into the village of Krynky, 2km (1.25 miles) inland from the river and 30km from the city of Kherson, recaptured a year ago.

Russia conceded on Wednesday that "small groups" of Ukrainian forces had set up positions in the village on the left bank.

But Vladimir Saldo, the Russian-installed official in charge of the Kherson region still under occupation, insisted that they had sustained heavy losses and faced a "fiery hell" and had no chance of breaking through. "Our additional forces have now been brought in. The enemy is trapped in Krynky," he claimed.

His admission that Ukrainian forces had gained a foothold came two days after Russian state media bizarrely published and then swiftly retracted news of a retreat from positions on the left bank.

Map of control around Kherson
1px transparent line
Repeated attempts to cross the river made during the spring and summer had been met with little success.

EU set to miss 1m shell rounds target for Ukraine
Ukrainian forces conducted several raids across the Dnipro, Ukraine's longest river, in small boats. However, Kyiv lacks air superiority, which made the task more difficult.

Securing a bridgehead means that Ukrainian forces may be able to begin transferring armoured vehicles and air defence systems across the river. This would put them one step closer to breaking through to Crimea, the peninsula illegally annexed by Russia in 2014.

"Step by step, Ukraine's armed forces are demilitarising Crimea. We have covered 70% of the distance," Mr Yermak added. He appealed to Western countries to provide more weapons to Kyiv, saying Russia was using Iranian drones and North Korean artillery against Ukrainian forces.

On Tuesday, President Zelensky said fighting was escalating in the east near the town of Avdiivka. He added, however, that Russian forces were "losing men and equipment" trying to capture the destroyed city.

Ukraine launched its much-anticipated counteroffensive in June, seeking to regain territory in the south and east. However, the counteroffensive has so far failed to recapture significant territory.

Ukraine war: Russian state media retract report of retreat

BBC News

Russian state media on Monday published and swiftly retracted reports of a withdrawal of forces from positions on the left (eastern) bank of the Dnipro River.

The reports quoted Russia's defence ministry announcing troops were being transferred "to more favourable positions" on the Russian-occupied left - or eastern - side.

The stories were quickly retracted.

The Russian defence ministry blamed the "false report" on Ukraine.

Ukraine claimed the announcement was a Russian disinformation operation being carried out against it.

Monday's hasty reversal took place almost exactly a year after Russian forces withdrew their troops from the right bank, including from the city of Kherson. The river largely continues to separate Ukrainian and Russian forces.

In the now-retracted reports, state news agencies Tass and RIA-Novosti said Russia had repositioned troops to positions east of the Dnipro river, in order to "free up some of its forces, which will be used for offensive operations in other areas".

They reflected similar language to those used in previous announcements of Russian retreats.

The Kremlin declined to comment on the incident, saying it was a matter for the military.

Ukrainian forces have escalated raids targeting Russian forces across the Dnipro in recent weeks - a key aim of its counter-offensive, which aims to slice through Russian occupied territory, severing a land corridor to the Crimean peninsula which Moscow annexed illegally in 2014.

On Friday, Russia claimed to have repelled a Ukrainian attempt to establish a beachhead - a landing position on a beach - which could have been used to bring heavy armour into the fight and would have represented a significant advance.

Still, the Institute for the Study of War (ISW), a US-based think tank, reported last week that Russian efforts to repel Ukrainian forces from the east bank had "not prevented Ukrainian forces from transferring additional personnel and materiel to positions on the east bank" of the river.

Separately, three civilians were killed by Russian attacks on Kherson on Monday, Ukrainian officials said.

And an earlier explosion which killed at least three Russian officers in the occupied city of Melitopol on Saturday was claimed by Ukrainian military intelligence. Kyiv said the blast was "an act of revenge" carried out by local resistance forces.

Ukrainian-linked fighters have claimed to have killed a number of Russian officials and local collaborators with car bombs and explosions. Last week, Mikhail Filiponenko, a former head of a separatist militia, was killed in the occupied city of Luhansk in an attack claimed by Ukraine.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1