Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Only one way to deal with rats ….

I'd take Sushko with a grain of salt. Russia is increasingly using long range surveillance drones past the front lines to identify shooting targets.

Screenshot_20240313_202114_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1665b498570d6b7b86934ff220cf105c.jpg

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2024/03/13/three-ukrainian-helicopters-landed-near-the-front-line-to-reload-a-russian-drone-was-watching-and-russian-artillery-was-ready/?sh=1712735435e6

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 4

3 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I've read that if the LNG tanks at the Cheniere terminal at Sabine pass went up it would flatten all of Port Arthur and parts of Beaumont and Lake Charles like a Nuclear blast. That would wipe out Valero, Motiva, and BASF Total refineries in Port Arthur, and probably destroy or damage Exxon Mobil in Beaumont a few more chemical plants and refineries in the area. The Motiva refinery is the largest in North America and the Exxon plant in Beaumont is like 2 or 3 depending on source ...Valero is #8, and the Citgo plant in Lake Charles is #7. Taking 4 of the top 10 refineries in NA offline for probably a decade or more would be end of days economic collapse type shit. 

That sounds like a script for a Bruce Willis movie. A bad one.

The energy contained in the facilities at an LNG Plant are immense, but an explosion impacting an area from BPA to Lake Charles is a stretch.

In 1992, the MAPCO Natural Gas Liquid (NGL) underground storage facility near Brenham, TX was over filled, sending high pressure NGLs to atmosphere. The NGLs were heavier than air, there was little wind, and the vapor cloud flowed across the ground until it found an ignition source. The shock wave was felt in the downtown towers in Houston ( ~ 50 miles away). People said the blinds moved. The physical damage was confined to an area proximate to the vapor cloud.  People used to make poor jokes that industrial accidents in Houston were measured on the Richter Scale.

"LNG? NGL? Whatever it takes."

For a LNG disaster as described:

LNG Storage tanks are double-walled, with a carbon steel outer wall and a nickel-steel inner tank, which is housed in a reinforced concrete shell that is 20-30" thick.  The probability of failure; more than 0.0, but very low.  (Nuclear reactors were designed to withstand a direct hit from a 747.)

You could draw up scenario where...

100% of every piece of equipment, pipe, process columns, storage tanks (160,000 M3 per tank, 5,600,000 Ft3), LNG tankers (~ 250,000 M3, 8,800,000 Ft3) , etc. are filled to 100% of volume and 100% of operating pressure, and ...

all of that volume of LNG would have to be moved to the open air, and ...

all of that volume of LNG at -260 °F would have to be warmed up (no open flames) to the point it would vaporize, (1 Ft3 of LNG ~ 600 Ft3 of natural gas), and ...

all of that 100 % LNG would have to be diluted with air to a 5-15% concentration, and ...

that immense vapor cloud of explosive gas and air would need to be corralled some how, (methane is lighter than air and will rise), and ...

then some Darwin candidate would have to light a match,

and the mother of all fuel air bombs would go ...  Big Bada Boom!

Even then, most of the heat and energy would go upwards... you've seen the videos.

The first time I went to Mont Belvieu in 1980, I had similar concerns.

I enjoyed my career in the energy sector, but I'm happy for my exposure to be down to filling up my personal vehicles.

Edited by PTINS
typo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

Zeihan says Russia has 25 years worth of dumb bombs to strap guidance fins onto.  That's a stretch, but still.  Not encouraging.

ok first zeihan's a dumbfuck

if you want to see someone who actually knows shit absolutely disassemble Zeihan (you do), check out this r/AskHistorians comment: https://old.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/1b76vvp/is_it_true_that_most_preindustrial_cities_were/ktm3h8k/?context=3

second, i really want to believe in this Russian invasion, but we've heard this song before, we know the coda. They'll run outta steam well before Moscow and run back to Ukraine. They MIGHT divert a couple squads. I really really really want to see this group hit Moscow just in time for their sham election, but... I'm not gonna get my hopes up.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

I'd take Sushko with a grain of salt. Russia is increasingly using long range surveillance drones past the front lines to identify shooting targets.

Screenshot_20240313_202114_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1665b498570d6b7b86934ff220cf105c.jpg

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2024/03/13/three-ukrainian-helicopters-landed-near-the-front-line-to-reload-a-russian-drone-was-watching-and-russian-artillery-was-ready/?sh=1712735435e6

Are the patriots unable to see the long range surveillance drones? 

10 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Anyone else getting only negative Forbes articles about Ukraine? Seems like I get them in my Google News feed daily and they're never about anything positive for Ukraine and usually phrased in a pro Russian way. Not that negative things shouldn't be reported of course, but the phrasing and frequency of positive to negative is curious.

28 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Anyone else getting only negative Forbes articles about Ukraine? Seems like I get them in my Google News feed daily and they're never about anything positive for Ukraine and usually phrased in a pro Russian way. Not that negative things shouldn't be reported of course, but the phrasing and frequency of positive to negative is curious.

Forbes may or may not have been bought by a shady Russian

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, KYHorn said:

David Axe is the author and I've posted a good amount of positive articles from him in the past 2 years. With us withholding aid and the Russians actually learning and adapting, there's not a lot of positives right now.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Schulz2.0 said:

David Axe is the author and I've posted a good amount of positive articles from him in the past 2 years. With us withholding aid and the Russians actually learning and adapting, there's not a lot of positives right now.

Here’s hoping the Russian-on-Russian fighting that appears to be ramping up does more than last year’s clashes.  The fact that people are fleeing the areas near Belgorod and those areas are being shelled means the Russians have to dump manpower in there.

Great timing for a little Russian civil war to ramp up with the election for Putin.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bevo said:

And they helped bring us Vietnam.

We were backing them in Indochina decades before the Vietnam War. Shit, it was Japan's attempted occupation that created Ho Chi Minh and the communist North Vietnamese that America would end up fighting. The French Indochina war was just an undercard fight before the main event.

22 minutes ago, F250 said:

We were backing them in Indochina decades before the Vietnam War. Shit, it was Japan's attempted occupation that created Ho Chi Minh and the communist North Vietnamese that America would end up fighting. The French Indochina war was just an undercard fight before the main event.

And Ho Chi Minh originally sought our support.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DaggerHorns said:

They also invented lattes and croissants.

(I think)

Pretty sure Austrians invented croissants.

And I dunno where lattes were invented, but if you've ever had cafe sua da after a big bowl of pho, you'll come away believing the Vietnamese perfected the coffee-based drink.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

16 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

They’re about to get 800k artillery rounds from ??

something like 80k missiles, 8k with active warheads from Canada

Russia is being raided near Belgorod. Maybe the raid can be supported and turned into a salient? Russia cannot defend its borders

constant UAV attacks on Russian oil and gas. Long term this can be truly damaging

Forget media coverage, if this is Ukraine at its most vulnerable, these badass mother fuckers are going to win. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

They are the reason we won at Yorktown - so I continue to give them a pass. 

I have an uncle that always drinks French beer on July 4th to acknowledge their contributions.

• Hook 'Em 5

On 3/13/2024 at 10:40 PM, Parliament said:

Zeihan says Russia has 25 years worth of dumb bombs to strap guidance fins onto.  That's a stretch, but still.  Not encouraging.

Good thing he's a joke and prone making outlandish prognostications and presenting erroneous information like it's the gospel.  If you take this guy seriously, you need to look for better analysis. 

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, locodos said:

Good thing he's a joke and prone making outlandish prognostications and presenting erroneous information like it's the gospel.  If you take this guy seriously, you need to look for better analysis. 

Often wrong, but never uncertain.

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, DaggerHorns said:

They also invented lattes and croissants.

Banh mi, imo

3 hours ago, JMFP said:

I have an uncle that always drinks French beer on July 4th to acknowledge their contributions.

I appreciate the sentiment but good lord, why would anyone subject themselves to some of the worst beer on the planet, when the French make the best wine?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1