Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

2 hours ago, RPM said:

I had CIC access as an E-2.

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

Things seem awfully quiet. I wonder if that is the sign of the upcoming offensive.

Hopefully it's InfoSec clamping down. My uninformed suspicion is that the offensive is underway.

• Hook 'Em 3

51 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  All politics is realpolitik.  Lula has to look out for Brazil's interests.  Which are rather intertwined with Russia's.

It makes him a cockmunch, but at least a "Brazil above all others" cockmunch, which is his job.

International relations make for some strange politics. See below:

Yay!

Boo!

Apparently, Ukrainian grain has been flooding eastern European markets, driving down prices, and hurting local farmers. Slovakia is joining Hungary and, yes, Poland in this suspension. Meanwhile, Russia is looking to get out of the Black Sea grain deal, leaving Ukrainian exports nowhere to go.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/15/2023 at 5:42 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Probably stacked the bodies in the graves.

Connected to nothing, the German cemeteries from WW1 in France stack them 4 deep. So not only do you get called up by the Kaiser to get bayonetted machine-gunned poison-gassed artillery-shredded tank-crushed, but you also have maybe three dudes rotting on top of you.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Connected to nothing, the German cemeteries from WW1 in France stack them 4 deep. So not only do you get called up by the Kaiser to get bayonetted machine-gunned poison-gassed artillery-shredded tank-crushed, but you also have maybe three dudes rotting on top of you.

You, of all people, know better than to kink-shame the Germans.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Drool 1

So that T-90 that was spotted in Louisiana on a broken down tractor-trailer (driver had to go get another truck), "a shipping label suggests it may have been transported from Poland by an organization known as the "multinational assessment field team."

Meanwhile, in Russia, apparently that strike against Belgorod was pretty serious - hard to find verified info, but it sounds like a big chunk of the city/region is without power, and twitter is going crazy with reports of everything from Ukraine moving on Belgorod and then exchanging it for territory Russia is occupying, to acting as a diversion to force Russian troops to be moved up from the south, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

So that T-90 that was spotted in Louisiana on a broken down tractor-trailer (driver had to go get another truck), "a shipping label suggests it may have been transported from Poland by an organization known as the "multinational assessment field team."

Meanwhile, in Russia, apparently that strike against Belgorod was pretty serious - hard to find verified info, but it sounds like a big chunk of the city/region is without power, and twitter is going crazy with reports of everything from Ukraine moving on Belgorod and then exchanging it for territory Russia is occupying, to acting as a diversion to force Russian troops to be moved up from the south, etc.

Were they testing a tank at Ft. Poke-Chop? Retro. I like it.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

No excuse for you not to post stuff, though.

Here's a 16-minute video that the BBC put out (NSIAP) last week.  BBC has been tracking the 331st since last year, and they put out a recent update.

"The 331st Guards Parachute Regiment, regarded as "the best of the best" in Russia's armed forces, has been at the forefront of the main battles in the Kremlin's campaign against Ukraine. Often called the Kostroma Airborne Regiment, it has been the subject of investigations by Newsnight since shortly after last February's invasion. These have revealed the price paid by the regiment and its home community. The programme had confirmed 39 fatalities by April last year, 62 by late July, and now the toll has reached 94. So with a rising death toll, how is this so-called "elite" regiment of paratroopers - and their family and friends back home - coping with Vladimir Putin's long war?"

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Were they testing a tank at Ft. Poke-Chop? Retro. I like it.

Maybe, although the shipping label had it entering the US in Louisiana, so it's possible they were shipping it elsewhere, and it was not suitable for a rail car, etc.  So it could have been on its way to Georgia, Kentucky or Maryland.

• Drool 1

Russians are trying to block more and more of her videos, but you 80s kids/teens/adults who were reading the doomsday novels back then probably remember this plot from The Survivalist (which was fucking awesome), or Doomsday Warrior, or Wingman, or watched it play out on I think ABC with  Amerika (Kris Kristofferson in 14.5 hours of network TV mini-series glory)

9780786003105-us.jpg

01_tfotbz.webp

s-l500.jpg

31937312_qnt8ez.webp

FpBMQRRXoAU4U9U.jpg

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

I have a box somewhere with all 19  of the Doomsday Warrior novels, the first 16 of the Wingman novels (there's been four published since 2013, including one in 2022), 25 or 26 of The Survivalist novels (there's been 5 or 6 since 2013).  They were ultimate 80s jingoistic cheese in terms of Russians vs Americans, well The Survivalist wasn't - Ahern was obsessed with details of what the characters would actually be using/carrying, and it was very cool stuff to read.

Looking through them, I somehow missed this series

51883QgNifL._AC_UL900_SR615,900_.jpg

I kind of want to catch up the series that have had books that came out in the last 10 years or so, but for all of their zaniness of Bad Ass Soviets fighting Bad Ass Americans, I honestly think a better picture of the Soviets in the 1980s, and the Russian military of 2023 is the Chernobyl series on HBO.

I've been rewatching Chernobyl and man it feels like the Soviet leadership of the 1980s mirrors the Russian leadership of 2022/2023.

• Hook 'Em 1

I feel like Russia taking defensive positions to wait out Ukraine can't work.  There is no way they can keep the entire line manned such that they don't get pockets isolated without the ability to resupply.  I bet huge swaths end up getting cut off and a month later are militarily useless.

A lot of double negatives, so read at your own peril.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, MillerEP said:

That’s great about the tanks, but it makes me so uncomfortable to see them driving in such close formation. Imagine how devastating it would be if Russia some how managed to get a few birds back there and destroy that whole column. It’d be huge from an optics standpoint, devastating to moral, and it would make everyone else far less comfortable sending all this new equipment to them. I could see Putin putting a lot of resources towards something like that, not caring about how many planes it cost him. 

13 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I feel like Russia taking defensive positions to wait out Ukraine can't work.  There is no way they can keep the entire line manned such that they don't get pockets isolated without the ability to resupply.  I bet huge swaths end up getting cut off and a month later are militarily useless.

fun fact, the tank was originally thought of, and designed for, the ability to get through barbed wire, and climb over trenches with armored protection.....  in WW1

even funner fact, current armored vehicles all have the same ability, along with moving at 40 MPH or more.... vs 4-5 MPH in WW1.

so WW1 trench tactics aint gonna do shit to stop an armored assault.      esp if the lead tanks have some sort of anti-mine flail or a mine clearing line charge.   make about 10 different attack lanes through a half mile long minefield and you can get through it in less than 20 mins (takes a bit of time to blow mines 100 feet at a time).

at that point, the Ruskies be running.

Edited by AUS-97HORN
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

fun fact, the tank was originally thought of, and designed for, the ability to get through barbed wire, and climb over ditches with armored protection.....  in WW1

even funner fact, current armored vehicles all have the same ability, along with moving at 40 MPH or more.... vs 4-5 MPH in WW1.

so WW1 trench tactics aint gonna do shit to stop an armored assault.      esp if the lead tanks have some sort of anti-mine flail or a mine clearing line charge.   make about 10 different attack lanes through a half mile long minefield and you can get through it in less than 20 mins.

at that point, the Ruskies be running.

Not to mention a few salvos of those air-burst HIMARS rounds that blow tungsten BBs everywhere will turn those Russian trenches into meat gutters before the tanks even get there. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Maybe, although the shipping label had it entering the US in Louisiana, so it's possible they were shipping it elsewhere, and it was not suitable for a rail car, etc.  So it could have been on its way to Georgia, Kentucky or Maryland.

My guess is that the JRTC area is a better place to put it through it's paces with fewer eyes around.   NTC at Ft. Irwin is desert so that doesn't do much to replicate Ukraine/Russia.   Georgia (Benning) and Texas (Hood) are good substitutes based on topography but lots of people stationed there all the time,   JRTC is more of a controlled environment.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Russians are trying to block more and more of her videos, but you 80s kids/teens/adults who were reading the doomsday novels back then probably remember this plot from The Survivalist (which was fucking awesome), or Doomsday Warrior, or Wingman, or watched it play out on I think ABC with  Amerika (Kris Kristofferson in 14.5 hours of network TV mini-series glory)

Secretly?

Ft_YH4eWcAIXjo1?format=png&name=900x900

Girkin’s line about the Russian air force is pretty good, but he should have left the date off to make it even more esoteric. Seems to be getting more combative and pissed after his arrest warrant or whatever was issued.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1