Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

2 minutes ago, nbmishoid said:

What in tarnation was that?

Looks like a thermobaric aka fuel/air bomb. Instead of HE, they carry fuel that is atomized at the time of detonation and combusts with the oxygen in the atmosphere. Big ass kaboom, tremendous pressure wave, and then no oxygen in the area. We used them for clearing out caves in the middle east. Terrifying shit.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Question for the “Ditch of death” clip posted earlier. If you’re moving through that ditch and the Ukrainians are zeroing in on it with mortars do you stay in the ditch for cover and pray they don’t get it right or jump out of it and spread out so a single round is less likely to kill several people at once? Obviously the rooski’s chose option 1.

Question about Russians abroad. 
I don’t really follow the NHL, but I gather there are a lot of Russian players. How do they handle the issue of the war. Do they try to not talk about it? Does the media let them? Do they fear for their families back home if they criticize Putin?

58 minutes ago, statsman said:

Question about Russians abroad. 
I don’t really follow the NHL, but I gather there are a lot of Russian players. How do they handle the issue of the war. Do they try to not talk about it? Does the media let them?

The league has no interest in making it hard on themselves by making it an issue. 

Do they fear for their families back home if they criticize Putin?

Panarin says yes. 

Edit: more info 

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/34846112/how-war-ukraine-impacting-russian-players-nhl-beyond

Edited by cactusflinthead
  • Hook 'Em 4

Ovechkin is on thin fucking ice right now, no pun intended.   Hes been buddy buddy with pooty tang for a very long time

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/alex-ovechkin-putin-1.6726430

the real question is, how the fuck has his visa not somehow been revoked. 

I mean the dude uses Putin and him meeing as his Insta profile pic, hes still Russian, and in theory we could deport his ass at any point... I am sure the Capitals sports conglomerate ownership team has been greasing all kinds of palms on the back end, and the NHL has been abysmal about doing anything to the Russians playing in the league.  

money talks 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Thanks for the link. It sounds like they have an attitude of “I came to the NHL to parlay my hockey skills into a lot of money. Talking about Ukraine gets in the way of that”. 

1 minute ago, statsman said:

Thanks for the link. It sounds like they have an attitude of “I came to the NHL to parlay my hockey skills into a lot of money. Talking about Ukraine gets in the way of that”. 

There's a range. Panarin got warned from back home to shut up if he didn't want something bad to happen to his family. Ovechkin has been a Putin supporter for years. The league is trying to keep a lid on it.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Ovechkin is on thin fucking ice right now, no pun intended.   Hes been buddy buddy with pooty tang for a very long time

I mean the dude uses Putin and him meeing as his Insta profile pic, hes still Russian, and in theory we could deport his ass at any point... I am sure the Capitals sports conglomerate ownership team has been greasing all kinds of palms on the back end, and the NHL has been abysmal about doing anything to the Russians playing in the league.  

money talks 

Here's your answer 

Bio

Ovechkin is already the greatest goal-scorer of the 21st century, with a chance to overtake Wayne Gretzky's 894 goals for No. 1 in NHL history. He became the third player in NHL history to score 800 goals

https://www.nhl.com/player/alex-ovechkin-8471214

There's literally no higher profile player in the league. Up until the war he was available for interviews, beloved even by opponents, and the fact he was also a friend of Putin was a matter of record.

I don't know the last time I saw any comments from active players of any nationality on the war. 

You don't get to have strong political opinions in pro sports and keep getting paid. You can have opinions but your paycheck is about to be at an end if you start advertising them.

Panarin. I'll keep using him as an example. He hasn't said anything either, I think we have a good idea where he stands, but for the sake of family in Russia and his own career it's no comment and he won't be taking questions on that subject now or at any time for the foreseeable future.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

About any more on the NHL and Russia is probably better done in CR. I'm right on the line.

It may be off-topic, but what is political (Dem/Pub) about it? Just curious - can someone give me the summary of talking points?

Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AUS-97HORN said:

money talks 

Ovechkin is a royal piece of shit but he hasn’t done anything that would legally get his visa revoked, which is a pretty demanding step. The regular old tourist visa category can be denied “just because we don’t want you coming” but not the type of visa that allows someone to legally work and live and earn. And since he’s actually in country, a revocation would mean he gets his chance to appeal any removal order in front of an immigration judge, and that judge would ask a lawyer for the State Department to justify the revocation based on law and fact. Instagram photos of a Putin won’t cut it. 

Russian oligarch types are experts at weaponizing the West’s rule of law against us. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 3