Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

So it's started, they are putting more Ukrainians across the Dnieper (they certainly have the right boats from what we and others have given them), Russians have evacuated a bunch of people (sounded like Russians that they moved in there after they took the land), they've already taken some of the forward areas, and we are all of the sudden seeing a lot of "new" American and European equipment being used in Ukraine.

If the Russians aren't able to start a counter-counter-offensive right now to try and draw off Ukrainians, then they have no initiative, and it may go very well for the Ukrainians.  And it's telling that the Russians aren't trying to open up a front from Belarus - either that was too much for Belarus (namely Putin is worried it'd stir up the population against him), or they simply don't have the troops and gear to pull it off.

The End Endgame GIF

If I may inject some religion here, I'll remind you guys that St. Michael is our patron saint or war.  Some thoughtful words in his direction will not hurt.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 4/20/2023 at 9:06 AM, texasdago said:

Looking at the first video of her walking around Courchevel reminds me of two things... 1) though Courchevel has apparently great skiing, a client of mine told me how absurdly expensive it can be after going there earlier this year.  Seeing signs like BULGARI in a ski town tells me all I need to know about crossing it off my list.  2) Before the war, we would see lots of Russian tourists in certain parts of Italy and Europe... always sour-faced, unfriendly and just throwing their money around.  I'm sure some tourist spots will miss their money although others will "fill the gap" so to speak but they won't miss their personalities.  

For 200 years the French have looked at Russian exiles the same way bartenders look at drunks.

• Hook 'Em 6

3 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

About any more on the NHL and Russia is probably better done in CR. I'm right on the line.

Any more bullshit about someone's support for Russia/Putin being CR and I'll probably neg. I'm right on the line. 

Seriously, wtf is remotely close to CR, given the context of this thread? I normally don't do call outs but that was a super sandy vag comment

• Hook 'Em 3

34 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I gave that a laugh, but a Spitfire, Mustang, or Thunderbolt would knock those Iranian drones from the sky damn fast.

I was only partly kidding. There was a group in Army SF who wanted to make a modern version of the Mustang for CAS operations. Cheap to make, good time on station, plenty of weapons points, operates from improvised runways. Did not go anywhere, Air Force wanted jets. 

Imagine an improved Mustang.... Fucker would be amazing. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 2

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

I was only partly kidding. There was a group in Army SF who wanted to make a modern version of the Mustang for CAS operations. Cheap to make, good time on station, plenty of weapons points, operates from improvised runways. Did not go anywhere, Air Force wanted jets. 

Meh, it also wasn't particularly good at what it was supposed to do.  Would've made more sense to slap a turboprop on a bunch of Skyraiders. For those who are more interested: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piper_PA-48_Enforcer

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

For 200 years the French have looked at Russian exiles the same way bartenders look at drunks.

I mean, the Venn diagram of the two is a circle inside a circle, so...

sketch1682105453038.thumb.png.6cff1334791194247e0b608c106bac1f.png

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Reminds me of the Polish pilots in the RAF who were better than the Brits. It made sense, because these were the Poles who'd survived fighting Messerschmitts in Poland using outdated planes. Then you give those guys Spitfires?

Yes!  This is exactly what I tell myself when I ride my 25 year-old suspension-free old ass geometry MTB around Austin.  Just wait until I get something with early 2000s technology!?!

• Haha 4
  • Drool 1

5 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Ovechkin is a royal piece of shit but he hasn’t done anything that would legally get his visa revoked, which is a pretty demanding step. The regular old tourist visa category can be denied “just because we don’t want you coming” but not the type of visa that allows someone to legally work and live and earn. And since he’s actually in country, a revocation would mean he gets his chance to appeal any removal order in front of an immigration judge, and that judge would ask a lawyer for the State Department to justify the revocation based on law and fact. Instagram photos of a Putin won’t cut it. 

Russian oligarch types are experts at weaponizing the West’s rule of law against us. 

We could catch him speeding and deport him, or tipsy at a restaurant.  Certainly if he got into a fight.   If only to consider prior green card deportations.  Not a lawyer speaking here, of course.  But folks with citizen families have been deported for minimal shit when they are unimportant and the powers that be want it so.  Story in NYT just today.

3 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Reminds me of the Polish pilots in the RAF who were better than the Brits. It made sense, because these were the Poles who'd survived fighting Messerschmitts in Poland using outdated planes. Then you give those guys Spitfires?

Wait a Bartender or a Bar Owner? That is an important distinction here. 

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

USAFSOC procured three of these. In a sane world, they’d procure a bunch (or we’d just announce that we were going to let the Army finally procure fixed wing for CAS in uncontested air space). And we’d invest the savings into more stand off weapons for USAF platforms, more drones, and fewer flight hours on our flagship platforms to keep that fleet in better shape. 

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/39976/special-operations-commands-new-a-29-super-tucano-pays-tribute-to-world-war-ii-air-commandos

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

USAFSOC procured three of these. In a sane world, they’d procure a bunch (or we’d just announce that we were going to let the Army finally procure fixed wing for CAS in uncontested air space). And we’d invest the savings into more stand off weapons for USAF platforms, more drones, and fewer flight hours on our flagship platforms to keep that fleet in better shape. 

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/39976/special-operations-commands-new-a-29-super-tucano-pays-tribute-to-world-war-ii-air-commandos

No, no.  We still need to fight inter-service rivalries from the 60s about aviation.  That makes totes more sense.

Love the heritage scheme btw.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, texasdago said:

Yes!  This is exactly what I tell myself when I ride my 25 year-old suspension-free old ass geometry MTB around Austin.  Just wait until I get something with early 2000s technology!?!

Dude I went from a 95 Cherokee to a 2020 Honda passport. I can drive it with my semi erect penis.

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-news-04-21-23/index.html

Former Russian President and deputy chair of Russia’s Security Council, Dmitry Medvedev, called Britain "our eternal enemy" after the UK government imposed sanctions on Russian individuals.

“Who gives a damn about their decisions? Britain has been and always will be our eternal enemy, at least until their arrogant and miserably damp island is swept into the murky depths of the sea by a wave created by a state-of-the-art Russian arms system,” Medvedev wrote on Telegram Friday.

The UK government sanctioned a Russian judge and two other individuals it says are connected to the arrest of jailed Kremlin critic Vladimir Kara-Murza. The sanctions involve asset freezes and a travel ban.

Yeah, the Brits want to hear that Medvedev.  Keep reinforcing the stereotypes.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-news-04-21-23/index.html

Yeah, the Brits want to hear that Medvedev.  Keep reinforcing the stereotypes.

I’ve talked about it on this thread before, but the UK manages to work the Russians into a lather in a way even we can’t. They have some grudging respect for a fellow continent-spanning one-time superpower rival. But they really can’t get over this little island that for centuries was more badass than they ever were.  They especially can’t stand the traditional British impulse to laugh at bullies and braggarts. Britain is the enemy par excellence, that’s why the Russians bang on about Anglo-Saxons all the time. 

Kind of related, Michael McFaul is a keen observer of Russia and manages to put his finger on the fact that a lot of this is about how for Russia, negative attention is preferable to no attention. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Drool 1

18 hours ago, texasdago said:

I'm like, "As soon as I get a pool, look out Phelps... And blondes with fakes."

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I’ve talked about it on this thread before, but the UK manages to work the Russians into a lather in a way even we can’t. They have some grudging respect for a fellow continent-spanning one-time superpower rival. But they really can’t get over this little island that for centuries was more badass than they ever were.  They especially can’t stand the traditional British impulse to laugh at bullies and braggarts. Britain is the enemy par excellence, that’s why the Russians bang on about Anglo-Saxons all the time. 

Kind of related, Michael McFaul is a keen observer of Russia and manages to put his finger on the fact that a lot of this is about how for Russia, negative attention is preferable to no attention. 

The truth is that no one really cared about Russia, until it invaded Ukraine.

So understated, so accurate, so savage.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

We don’t really cover “The Great Game” in world history classes in the US, but it was a real thing and the Brits and Russians sure study it. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, statsman said:

We don’t really cover “The Great Game” in world history classes in the US, but it was a real thing and the Brits and Russians sure study it. 

I read this before I moved to Uzbekistan back in the early ‘teens and I recommend to anyone who wants to understand a bit about how the current Russian imperial mentality is not simply Soviet ideology in new trappings. Soviet ideology was just a culdesac branching off of Russian imperialism. 

image.thumb.jpeg.159897494d9e7f04285314b15b601ab7.jpeg

Also, Kiplings Kim is a mind-boggling good read even if Kipling is officially on one of the periodic Out Of Favor downswings. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2