Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

29 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Funny, I read that as they believe that the commanders in the field should be given more latitude and they should use more human intelligence and caution against over reliance upon drones.  

I agree with giving NCO's more latitude, that part I think is true and valuable.  The other part might be poorly written and out of context, but on it's face that's bad, at least to me.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Ever evacuate someone who hits a mine? Aa kid, a woman, one of your team? 

Not a mine, and not me, but my wife and and IED.  In a convoy in Iraq they got hit and blew a guy's foot off.  Bad news, but it gets a bit worse.  The medic they had with them was fresh and passed out upon seeing it.  Not a pretty picture apparently.  Good news, her unit collectively did manage to field dress his wound and he did survive, albeit minus a foot.  

Mines and IEDs are insidious and despite their short term strategic value to forces, they have long term horrible consequences, often times with children being maimed or killed.  I don't think the world is ready to agree upon their removal as weapons, but a treaty that states something to the effect of if you lay it, you are responsible for its clean up at the cessation of hostilities would be at least a step in the right direction.  Even if that were in place though, I concede a regime like the one in Russia would give a fuck, so the only recourse would be continued sanctions to finance the process until the clean up is over (on top of everything else).  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Not a mine, and not me, but my wife and and IED.  In a convoy in Iraq they got hit and blew a guy's foot off.  Bad news, but it gets a bit worse.  The medic they had with them was fresh and passed out upon seeing it.  Not a pretty picture apparently.  Good news, her unit collectively did manage to field dress his wound and he did survive, albeit minus a foot.  
Mines and IEDs are insidious and despite their short term strategic value to forces, they have long term horrible consequences, often times with children being maimed or killed.  I don't think the world is ready to agree upon their removal as weapons, but a treaty that states something to the effect of if you lay it, you are responsible for its clean up at the cessation of hostilities would be at least a step in the right direction.  Even if that were in place though, I concede a regime like the one in Russia would give a fuck, so the only recourse would be continued sanctions to finance the process until the clean up is over (on top of everything else).  

Well, that, and the fact that every country that shares a land border with Russia should mine the everloving fuck out of it. It’s the smart thing to do.
  • Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

I agree with giving NCO's more latitude, that part I think is true and valuable.

Maybe don’t publicize it, though, so as not to give the Russians any ideas. It’s my understanding that they have a rigid top-down command structure and that’s one of their weaknesses. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Russian doctrine for human, non-tank mines, involves helicopters with auto ejectors to fly and area and release them at the pilots will. Sarajevo was surrounded by one big fucking mine field no one could track. Oh, you saw a chopper? Great, where did they release? 

Dealt with them for a lot of my life and not something me or the people I work with, quite a few Veterans, joke about. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Russian doctrine for human, non-tank mines, involves helicopters with auto ejectors to fly and area and release them at the pilots will. Sarajevo was surrounded by one big fucking mine field no one could track. Oh, you saw a chopper? Great, where did they release? 

Dealt with them for a lot of my life and not something me or the people I work with, quite a few Veterans, joke about. 

3a9b662e-4a58-4c27-8407-8977ca1a3fba_tex

4 hours ago, BamaATL said:

That might well be the dumbest thing I've read in a while.  So there are people in the Pentagon wanting to get people killed for eye witness accounts vs drone video footage where you might lose a drone?  It screams to me that we have at least a contingent group within the Pentagon that are way past their prime, but it's worse than that.  If you don't have to risk human loses you should never do it.  People are always worth more than things.  

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

Funny, I read that as they believe that the commanders in the field should be given more latitude and they should use more human intelligence and caution against over reliance upon drones.  

The nonsensical statement was written by David Ignatius, who spits out a shitty hot take with nearly every column he writes. He didn't quote anyone, nor attribute the statement to anyone other than "US officials." He's not a war correspondent, nor a Pentagon reporter. He's a mere opinion columnist and his words deserve zero credence. He's as reliable as David Brooks, who writes a column for the same paper. Which is to say, not at all. Ignatius provided no clue about where in the gov't the opinion about drones came from. It was probably just something he pulled out of the air, much like his column of 4 days ago in which he concluded the death of Prigozhin meant Putin was much less likely to use nuclear weapons in Ukraine. Fuck that bs. Ignore it.

Edited by Chopper
typo
  • Hook 'Em 6

9 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

That ain't funny either. Spent a lot of time in that country. Deal with a lot of Afghans and their problems today.

Back to Ukraine. 

back to ukraine, but always back to you...but without the personal pronouns so it doesn't seem like you're constantly talking about yourself.

• Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, Schulz2.0 said:

So I don’t have a Twitter account and I’m not signing up for one; when I click the link it doesn’t take me to a thread, just the post, and when I click the author I can’t see anything more recent than posts from 10/22.  Am I doing it wrong?

Just now, LCHorn said:

So I don’t have a Twitter account and I’m not signing up for one; when I click the link it doesn’t take me to a thread, just the post, and when I click the author I can’t see anything more recent than posts from 10/22.  Am I doing it wrong?

Twitter is all fucked up. Here's the link.

https://www.wired.com/story/poland-train-radio-stop-attack/

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I think he was making a joke about the Taliban taking child brides.

Ding ding ding! Give that man a cheroot.

Although that’s not limited to the Taliban. That’s ubiquitous. Sort of like how we looked the other way when our allies against the Taliban kept little boys as sex slaves. It’s just that some aspects of Afghan culture are still stuck in the first century. 

11 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

That ain't funny either. Spent a lot of time in that country. Deal with a lot of Afghans and their problems today.

Back to Ukraine. 

You don’t think the practice of taking child brides, sometimes by wealthy old men who essentially purchase them from poor families who need the money to feed themselves, is something to be ridiculed?

23 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Time to boycott them. Don't know what Swiss products I purchase, but won't anymore! Looked up a quick snippet. Ah yes, the famous gold mines of Switzerland. 

The top exports of Switzerland are Gold ($86.7B), Packaged Medicaments ($48.5B), Vaccines, blood, antisera, toxins and cultures ($40.3B), Base Metal Watches ($15.2B), and Nitrogen Heterocyclic Compounds ($14.6B), exporting mostly to Germany ($55.2B), United States ($51.1B), China ($33.1B), India($31.8B), and France ($18.9B).

https://oec.world/en/profile/country/che

Is that regular gold, or dental gold?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

24 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You don’t think the practice of taking child brides, sometimes by wealthy old men who essentially purchase them from poor families who need the money to feed themselves, is something to be ridiculed?

I do, and saw it. Fucking sucks. And the US Military and NATO turned a blind eye to it. 

Conversation was about Russia making mines to look like toys and defining Ukraine. 

12 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Maybe don’t publicize it, though, so as not to give the Russians any ideas. It’s my understanding that they have a rigid top-down command structure and that’s one of their weaknesses. 

It's not exactly a secret.  But if they adopted to a NCO role, it would completely change their entire structure and way of life.   They might actually want a say in how things are run in that country.  They cannot have that, so they cannot move away from an authoritarian system. 

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That is some bullshit.  He was saying it isn't funny to joke about the victims of landmines and IEDs.  Trying to spin your way out of it with some sleight of hand isn't going to work.   He can be against child rape, human trafficking, and people becoming maimed or killed by explosives.  

• Hook 'Em 4

38 minutes ago, Nivek said:

It's not exactly a secret.  But if they adopted to a NCO role, it would completely change their entire structure and way of life.   They might actually want a say in how things are run in that country.  They cannot have that, so they cannot move away from an authoritarian system. 

Yeah, it goes a lot farther than just being military doctrine. It’s part of the political philosophy of authoritarianism. Sort of like how loyalty tends to be valued over ability and the pitfalls associated with that practice. That’s how you wind up with incompetence at the top of the chain of command.

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Nivek said:

That is some bullshit.  He was saying it isn't funny to joke about the victims of landmines and IEDs.  Trying to spin your way out of it with some sleight of hand isn't going to work.   He can be against child rape, human trafficking, and people becoming maimed or killed by explosives.  

Again whoosh. I’m not “spinning” anything.

Wtf is wrong with you people? Someone brought up that Afghanistan is littered with these things and I was pointing out a sad irony of something factually correct about Afghan culture. I wasn’t looking for a laugh. I think it should’ve been obvious and if you took it the wrong way then that’s on you. Atom got it. 

6 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Again whoosh. I’m not “spinning” anything.

Wtf is wrong with you people? Someone brought up that Afghanistan is littered with these things and I was pointing out a sad irony of something factually correct about Afghan culture. I wasn’t looking for a laugh. I think it should’ve been obvious and if you took it the wrong way then that’s on you. Atom got it. 

I think some folks didn't get the joke the first time and doubled down on the defensive once it was pointed out to them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

[lowers book, turns halfway around in armchair]

I'd like to point out that the Germans in WW2 had far more independent NCOs than most, and that society was still a tad authoritarian. Probably the scaled-down post-Versailles army had something to do with that, being meant to expand into a bigger force, but even in WW1 with the storm units they were teaching NCOs to think on their feet.

In fact, the US Army stole some of the German's leadership training ideas, minus the heel-clicking and such. If you ever took a leadership course where a small team had to figure out how to accomplish a mission using whatever tools were on-site, you were taking part in a knock-off of Natsie training.

Sort of like one of those Escape Room games minus most of the annoying shit.

[/ahem]

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

In fact, the US Army stole some of the German's leadership training ideas, minus the heel-clicking and such. If you ever took a leadership course where a small team had to figure out how to accomplish a mission using whatever tools were on-site, you were taking part in a knock-off of Natsie training.

And minus the perfectly tailored Hugo Boss uniforms.  Fashionable fucks, those Nazi's.

ETA

Seems the Marines can launch Tomahawks from literally the back of a truck (presumably a big truck, but still.)  Would be awesome if the UKA had some.  Take out the Kerch Bridge and whatever else they fancy.

Our Tomahawk inventory might not be much, I don't know.  But so what.  God gave us Tomahawks to kill Russians.  Let's let them go do what God wants them to do.

Edited by Parliament
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

19 minutes ago, Parliament said:

And minus the perfectly tailored Hugo Boss uniforms.  Fashionable fucks, those Nazi's.

ETA

Seems the Marines can launch Tomahawks from literally the back of a truck (presumably a big truck, but still.)  Would be awesome if the UKA had some.  Take out the Kerch Bridge and whatever else they fancy.

Our Tomahawk inventory might not be much, I don't know.  But so what.  God gave us Tomahawks to kill Russians.  Let's let them go do what God wants them to do.

Every time someone shares a video on this thread of Zeihan manbunning in the mountains, an angel its wings. 

• Haha 3