Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

28 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

My daughter (no pics you thirsty dudes) designed a project where certain plants were modified with bioluminescence so when they came in contact with explosive materials the grass would glow. Pretty fucking cool. She did not get the chance to prove it in the field and the lab she was at owns the concept. Research stopped when she graduated from High School and went to her university. My dad linked her up with some EOD people from 5th Special Forces who helped with the chemicals within a lot of explosives. They were very excited about it. I wish she had continued it.

Mines and UXO are a big thing in the family. We don't like them...... 

That is amazing.  I hope that the lab develops it on out, and that she gets a nice cut and credit.  That doesn't happen in today's world, but I hope for it, anyway.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

That is amazing.  I hope that the lab develops it on out, and that she gets a nice cut and credit.  That doesn't happen in today's world, but I hope for it, anyway.

Nah, she was an intern, lab did not really like the vision, so bet there is all her data sitting in a building. Hope she redoes it. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, BamaATL said:

Unfortunately, you would need a shit load of buggies for it to work.  The mines the Russian's are using (mostly) at TM-62's (the Ukrainians also use these), and regrettably, they are the most produced mine in human history.  The Russians, with fore knowledge of playing defense, have deployed an insane amount of these (they have actually have mine laying machines they use).  

I have a odd but perhaps effective way of dealing with these after the fact that I was sort of daydreaming about the other day.  Basically, if you take a blimp (it would need to be quite large to displace the weight, and car demolition electro-magnet, and fit around that a blast shield, that might work.   I don't know I'm not an expert, but just thinking about what a massive problem this is going to be not just in the conflict but after.  Considering that there may well be millions of these in play, one to one specialty equipment isn't going to realistically get the job done.  Obviously we demining equipment, but if we could figure another way to more safely remove and detonate these it'd be great.  

Maybe a crazy idea, but someone is going to need to come up with ideas to deal with this, it's a massive problem.  

Once air defense is gone, send A-10’s to plow the fields. That outta take care of most of the mines. Then they can just use mine-rollers and the modified tanks and tractors they got. 

13 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Once air defense is gone, send A-10’s to plow the fields. That outta take care of most of the mines. Then they can just use mine-rollers and the modified tanks and tractors they got. 

I don't think that's realistic.  An A-10 is good for ground strafing and not precision strikes, which is what hitting mines will require.  There might be some limited success with this approach, but limited is the key word.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

OK, well fuck the Swiss. Smarmy cunts with their fancy watches and anonymous bank accounts for assholes.

Time to boycott them. Don't know what Swiss products I purchase, but won't anymore! Looked up a quick snippet. Ah yes, the famous gold mines of Switzerland. 

The top exports of Switzerland are Gold ($86.7B), Packaged Medicaments ($48.5B), Vaccines, blood, antisera, toxins and cultures ($40.3B), Base Metal Watches ($15.2B), and Nitrogen Heterocyclic Compounds ($14.6B), exporting mostly to Germany ($55.2B), United States ($51.1B), China ($33.1B), India($31.8B), and France ($18.9B).

https://oec.world/en/profile/country/che

• Hook 'Em 2

This obviously only works after fighting is concluded, but it might be successful and relatively inexpensive.  What if they use the thermal heat signatures to map the fields, then use a large armored boom crane to do the job?  The thought is with them mapped, you use the boom with a grapple and bags of sand and drop them from a height that makes it safe for the crane but at the same time hits with enough pressure to trigger the mines.  The sand bags would serve two purposes, one obviously being the weight to trigger the mine, the other being to baffle the blast once it goes off.  The down side would of course be duds, but at least then you'd know exactly where they were and could use a drone to drop a triggered explosive device to set them off.  

A 200 foot boom crane can't cost more than a few million dollars, and armoring it wouldn't be all that expensive.  Bags of sand or dirt could be filled by a crew on site, safely away from the dangerous area.  It would require a bit of testing and some learned know-how, but I think this has a reasonable chance at success.  With a surveyed site and an excavator to fill the bags I think a crew could detonate 50 to 100 of these a day.  Slow going to be sure, but if it works pretty safe, and far less tedious than trying to defuse these in mass.  

The problem with the rollers is they have a finite number of hits they can take, and repair is expensive.  It works, but it's expensive and dangerous.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Evil fucking bastards. Too bad the drone could not take out the vehicle a kilometer down the road. 

I'm sure the Ukrainians held off seeing that, hopefully the other half of the video is about a mile down the road with an explosion.  Either way, you have to know something horrific has happened for that child to be seemingly in the middle of no where with those guys.  

• Hook 'Em 4

I have never seen them go off in fires. Afghanistan, El Salvador, Colombia, Bosnia or Peru. 
What will blow them up over time is snow and shifting soil. The mountains around Sarajevo would have explosions for days after a heavy snow. 
For large area demining there is equipment to lead the way forward, but they are vulnerable. For long term, takes people and dogs. Nasty work. 

From what I read, rats are better than dogs. Lighter, and they don’t form such strong attachments to individual handlers so they can stay out longer.
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Swiss cheese is the only cheese you can draw and people can identify. You can draw American cheese, but someone will think it’s cheddar. It’s the only cheese you can bite and miss. “Hey Mitch – does that sandwich have cheese on it?” “Every now and then!

You know, I used to enjoy Mitch Hedberg jokes and humor.

Still do, but I used to, too.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

From what I understand, in the North the Ukrainians have solidified their defense but if they fall back they will have the high ground and can really reign hell on the invaders. This attack up here is to try to pull reserves from the south who are ramping up for the punch through. Because of the strength of the North and their ability to fall back and give ground to create another meat grinder, Ukraine should be fine.

But that was from a few days ago. Who knows how valid it is anymore.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Nivek said:

From what I understand, in the North the Ukrainians have solidified their defense but if they fall back they will have the high ground and can really reign hell on the invaders. This attack up here is to try to pull reserves from the south who are ramping up for the punch through. Because of the strength of the North and their ability to fall back and give ground to create another meat grinder, Ukraine should be fine.

The situation is fluid.

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

You can know an area was operated in, but not the specifics. We were supposed to take over a Russian base in Helmand and build it out into a development center. Sounds good we said, the UN has cleared it, NATO cleared it, but let's check. found so much UXO it took us 2 months to set up the basic operations facility. 

Maybe mines can be mapped, but UXO is different. For post war, import these! 

image.gif.fdbf108a60f83572d7b6c0eefd10f1c9.gif

• Haha 6
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, KYHorn said:

Worth monitoring.

37 minutes ago, Nivek said:

It’s almost a big game of chicken.   Cutting off the land bridge to Crimea is far harder for Russia to recover from, than Ukraine retaking  land in the Kharkiv region.  I’d argue that it’s actually impossible for Russia once the Ukrainians break through and shut down the land supply route to Crimea, since Russia only has a highway and railway once the Ukrainians reach Tokmak.

And the flip side to Russia trying to tie down Ukrainian troops to the north, is that a smaller Ukrainian force is tying up 100,000 Russian troops.  Shit, the Ukrainian generals are probably happy as hell that a 100,000 Russians are in the Kharkiv area for a counter-offensive.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BamaATL said:

Twitter or X or what the fuck ever is broken, so no link, but Visegrad 24 is reporting that the Ukrainians are in Verbove, which is further east and away from Tokmak.  However, in looking at the map on deepstate, when you activate the defensive line feature this makes sense.  About 5km from Verbove lies Romanivske, which has two smaller defensive lines.  However, the map indicates that to the south and there is nothing in the way of a defensive line all the way to the sea.  If they can break thru there, it would be a sliver of about 5km wide, but they would be behind their defensive lines.  I don't know how many people or equipment they need to get in behind them, but their entire defense collapses at a certain point if that happens in large enough numbers.  

Fog of war and all, but fingers crossed they do get in behind them there.  

Guy I know well on another board has been predicting this exact maneuver for months.   Pretty exciting to watch it unfold.   

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

So they're digging up the bodies and burning them?  Bet it smells kinda bad.

13 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

The Ukrainians are asking for M26 cluster ammo rockets for HIMARS.

https://www.businessinsider.com/ukraine-himars-cluster-rocket-boost-former-us-artillery-officer-2023-8

And we'll definitely give 'em to them in several months after insisting we won't.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

That might well be the dumbest thing I've read in a while.  So there are people in the Pentagon wanting to get people killed for eye witness accounts vs drone video footage where you might lose a drone?  It screams to me that we have at least a contingent group within the Pentagon that are way past their prime, but it's worse than that.  If you don't have to risk human loses you should never do it.  People are always worth more than things.  

• Hook 'Em 8

Anyone else see this

https://apnews.com/article/poland-legionnaires-disease-deaths-disinfection-ukraine-rzeszow-3741349de9b32f0248ca3bd166e51667

Legionnaires disease outbreak in Poland, 7 are dead, with 113 hospitalized.  Nothing concrete, but rumors are certainly going to circulate that this is a Russian biologic attack.  The town in question is Rzeszow, where much of western aide passes thru.  I honestly can't imagine that they would do something this incredibly stupid, because in my mind this is an automatic article 5.  Then again, I didn't think they were this stupid a couple of years ago.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, BamaATL said:

That might well be the dumbest thing I've read in a while.  So there are people in the Pentagon wanting to get people killed for eye witness accounts vs drone video footage where you might lose a drone?  It screams to me that we have at least a contingent group within the Pentagon that are way past their prime, but it's worse than that.  If you don't have to risk human loses you should never do it.  People are always worth more than things.  

Funny, I read that as they believe that the commanders in the field should be given more latitude and they should use more human intelligence and caution against over reliance upon drones.  

• Like 1