Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

I knowingly speak from a place of profound ignorance on this subject, specifically nuclear physics. That being said, I realize when and why Germany dumped their nuclear reactors for energy production...but are you telling me that they can't fire back up the ones that haven't been completely dismantled in about 6 months? Some are still operating. And some have to be mothballed but still recoverable. You'd think this might be the time to, I dunno, go ahead and fire those motherfuckers back up while you sort through the process of getting LNG from other sources over the next 3-5 years. And yet I don't hear a peep about that in any media I read, just how much pressure Germany is under to cut off their energy dependence on Russia. Yeah. Let an entire country go fucking dark. Lets see how that well THAT would go over. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You'd think this might be the time to, I dunno, go ahead and fire those motherfuckers back up while you sort through the process of getting LNG from other sources over the next 3-5 years. And yet I don't hear a peep about that in any media I read, just how much pressure Germany is under to cut off their energy dependence on Russia.

i would be willing to guess the issue isnt the reactors that cant do it.... the lack of fuel rods that fit the specific size needed might also be an issue.

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

1891. Though they probably have a later version that was slapped out with that well-known Soviet quality control.

I have one that has zero collector value because somebody sawed it down to carbine length. I have never fired it because I don't want to thrash around missing half my face when it blows up. It's a decent home-defense weapon, as a club.

I have one that my Dad bought in the early 60s that had this same treatment.  He said Sears sold them as "sporterized."  It has a big hammer and sickle on it and says "1936."  I can tell you that I first fired it when I was about 10 and it put a bruise on my shoulder like a mule had kicked me.  It looks pretty cool though.

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Maybe, but it's not like the AK or even Semi-auto SKS are difficult rifles to learn and use?  You have children and teenagers all over the developing world that use them.  Just weird?

1 hour ago, 686 said:

I ran across this on March 22; at least two posts that day of dudes with Mosin’s, with vintage optics. Russian gear is all over the place; supposedly cutting edge gear/hypersonic missles over here, and then Scooby Do vans and Mosins over there.

37a45f88a594c9d07daae9e4eb9a6dc1.jpg

The trust issue is not like handing your kid a gun and they hurt themselves, the trust thing is that they use the gun to shoot the officers in the camp.  How many shots can they get off in a rebellion with those Mosins?

7 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

The trust issue is not like handing your kid a gun and they hurt themselves, the trust thing is that they use the gun to shoot the officers in the camp.  How many shots can they get off in a rebellion with those Mosins?

Well we know Lee Harvey Oswald isn't walking into one of those camps any time soon...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Mach 20.....and apparently manueverable.

Scary stuff

And from everyone's bastion of truth:  wiki.  They're coming.  I don't know how exactly, but they are on their way.  

It’s essentially out of the atmosphere if it’s going that fast, and there is no maneuverable at those speeds. Perhaps able to have a bit of a footprint like ICBM MIRV’s do, but they’re not changing course substantially. You’re getting into physics and heat that make that pretty unlikely unless they Bob Lazared that shit up. 

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Should've been more specific that my comment was regarding entrepreneurially endeavors/innovation. Excellence on behalf of the party is fine. Outshine the party and you get a Jack Ma reeducation.

Again, it depends on if you're giving the local magistrates their fair "tax." If you're greasing the palms of the right people, giving them the best insider tips, you can do whatever you want.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I knowingly speak from a place of profound ignorance on this subject, specifically nuclear physics. That being said, I realize when and why Germany dumped their nuclear reactors for energy production...but are you telling me that they can't fire back up the ones that haven't been completely dismantled in about 6 months? Some are still operating. And some have to be mothballed but still recoverable. You'd think this might be the time to, I dunno, go ahead and fire those motherfuckers back up while you sort through the process of getting LNG from other sources over the next 3-5 years. And yet I don't hear a peep about that in any media I read, just how much pressure Germany is under to cut off their energy dependence on Russia. Yeah. Let an entire country go fucking dark. Lets see how that well THAT would go over. 

apparently it's not even as simple as just not shutting down the 3 remaining nuke plants as scheduled this year.

Habeck said he would not fight off an extension of nuclear power "for ideological reasons." However, he said, preparations for shutting down nuclear power plants are already so far advanced that continuing operation is not possible for safety reasons. According to the operating companies Eon, RWE, and EnBW, it would be technically difficult to quickly procure suitable fuel rods. There is also a shortage of specialized personnel.

Even if it were decided that the nuclear power plants should remain operational, it would take a year and a half before the reactors could generate electricity again, Pinkwart said. For technical reasons, they would still have to be shut down at the end of the year and then restarted to be operational again in the winter of 2023/2024 at the earliest, he says.

https://www.dw.com/en/ukraine-crisis-forces-germany-to-change-course-on-energy/a-60968585

also in that article is that germany has big underground gas storage areas, a strategic gas reserve, as it were.  but there's no requirement that the reserves actually have reserves.  about a third of them are controlled by gazprom.  i'll give you one guess as to how much gas was in those reserves.

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

It’s essentially out of the atmosphere if it’s going that fast, and there is no maneuverable at those speeds. Perhaps able to have a bit of a footprint like ICBM MIRV’s do, but they’re not changing course substantially. You’re getting into physics and heat that make that pretty unlikely unless they Bob Lazared that shit up. 

Out of my area of study, but all descriptions indicate that they are in fact quite maneuverable (relative to ballistic missiles) - which is why they are so scary.  The article posted goes into some theoretical details how speeds like that are achieved and how they change directions.

25 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I had an epiphany. Hypersonic missile with MCAS. Iron Dome… Patriot Missile Defense… Haha good luck stopping that. 

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Looks like Germany blinked - apparently they are NOT cutting ties with Russian O&G.  They paid well over two billion in January alone to Moscow.  

Is this a surprise? They CAN'T blink. You think countrywide mass blackouts and their economy coming to a halt is a legitimate option because they can't power their country without Russia? They were always going to blink. 

Also, I'm not sure why you'd cite January numbers to prove a point when Russia didn't invade Ukraine until almost March, right? March would be the number that mattered if you were going to evaluate Germany's behavior, and honestly not much would have happened in March either. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Is this a surprise? They CAN'T blink. You think countrywide mass blackouts and their economy coming to a halt is a legitimate option because they can't power their country without Russia? They were always going to blink. 

Also, I'm not sure why you'd cite January numbers to prove a point when Russia didn't invade Ukraine until almost March, right? March would be the number that mattered if you were going to evaluate Germany's behavior, and honestly not much would have happened in March either. 

They "can't" blink because they are idiots, who painted themselves into this corner with their own stupidity.  Now Poland is PISSED - stating it openly.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Question.  I'm totally not wondering if a man should or would do it.  Just trying to learn.

Your army unit surrenders, and your superior officer orders you to give up your weapons?  Are you allowed, by rule, to just run away and join the insurgency? Disobey your orders and go away?  I know the "rules of war," are very specific on things like this.  

Thanks!

Belarusian journalists have started publishing data from Russian marauders who sent stolen equipment, tools and even cosmetics from Ukrainians.

The Russian occupiers almost completely destroyed the Dobropark landscape park near Kyiv.

Near the village of Mokrets, not far from the Trubizh River, an abandoned and slightly "scratched" Tor-M1 SAM was found.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 7

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

LOL, those (if verified) are Mosin-Nagant bolt-action rifles.  I used to have one.  Kick like a bitch.  Think WWI or WWII era.  5-rd internal mag, chambering the big 7.62x54 Russian round (like our 30-06).

*I say "if verified" because there are probably more old Soviet era AK47's in 7.62x39 than there are plastic forks on the earth.  There have to be billions in circulation around the globe?

3 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

That's what got a wow out of me. It's damn near a relic. How could they be out of AKs? It predates WW1.

3 hours ago, Parliament said:

Sold to the Lords of War.  And I know journalists are morons when it comes to identifying guns (no CR), but I don't thing they'd get this one wrong.

The Mosin-Nagants were probably properly stored away somewhere, and untouched since they were stored away, and probably seen as worth very little.

The AK's?  Based on everything we've seen, my gut says that after the fall of the Soviet Union, whatever was in storage was stolen and sold off to black market buyers or shipped out of the country.  Or they were being used for spare parts.

6 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Question.  I'm totally not wondering if a man should or would do it.  Just trying to learn.

Your army unit surrenders, and your superior officer orders you to give up your weapons?  Are you allowed, by rule, to just run away and join the insurgency? Disobey your orders and go away?  I know the "rules of war," are very specific on things like this.  

Were they surrounded?  Where would one go?

3 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

That's what got a wow out of me. It's damn near a relic. How could they be out of AKs? It predates WW1.

Like a lot of Russian military surplus the boxes fell off of a truck. It will be interesting to find out how much shit was sold off over the years by corrupt officials and generals.

3 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

So let's assume the Russians are taking a significant loss to their battlefield equipment inventory.  With the sanctions in place, even if their factories are working 24/7 to resupply tank, armored vehicles, and everything else, if they can't get critical parts, how can they backfill?  This isn't like WWII, when all you needed was access to steel and oil.  There are a lot of critical systems made all over the world.

I looked up some of those systems - while the T-72s are still in production (thanks to sales/exports), quite a few of the command & control, anti-air, rocket launches, self-propelled guns, etc. had ceased production years ago, and some well over a decade.  There's no way they can start those factories back up easily - they would need the machinery/electronics for the factories/production lines (and some of that would have to be created from scratch), they would need people trained in getting the vehicles assembled, and they would need the raw materials/electronics/etc. for the actual vehicles (and that last part is crucial with the sanctions kicking in).

3 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Of course, the Chinese can probably supply a lot of it.  Maybe they can just order it on Wish.

If the Chinese were supplying vehicles/systems, the OSINT people would have seen it already. I think whatever conversation the US had with China put a chill on things.

3 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

1891. Though they probably have a later version that was slapped out with that well-known Soviet quality control.

I have one that has zero collector value because somebody sawed it down to carbine length. I have never fired it because I don't want to thrash around missing half my face when it blows up. It's a decent home-defense weapon, as a club.

Sounds like my cheap-ass Eastern-European SKS's I bought prior to the AWB.  I need to sell them, because there's no way in hell I will ever fire them myself.  Too many loose parts.

• Drool 1

4 minutes ago, F250 said:

Like a lot of Russian military surplus the boxes fell off of a truck. It will be interesting to find out how much shit was sold off over the years by corrupt officials and generals.

Shit, when they came to get the tanks in reserve they had one of ten that could be fielded. Some didn't have engines. All the optics gone. The CO ate a bullet rather than face the consequences.

Just now, cactusflinthead said:

Shit, when they came to get the tanks in reserve they had one of ten that could be fielded. Some didn't have engines. All the optics gone. The CO ate a bullet rather than face the consequences.

Bullets need to be the new national food of Russia.

• Like 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

FAFO

We're about to find out about "the momentum of Ukrainian forces on the battlefield."  The battle for the east is going to amp up, and it's going to be much more of a traditional frontal slog.  And kicking ass or not, the Ukes have one problem -- Russian numbers.  This thing is far from over.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Sounds like my cheap-ass Eastern-European SKS's I bought prior to the AWB.  I need to sell them, because there's no way in hell I will ever fire them myself.  Too many loose parts.

You got a Yugo?  I do.  Again, pretty sure it's never been fired.  The wood stock is unsanded and unfinished.  Junk pos.

Edited by Parliament

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We're about to find out about "the momentum of Ukrainian forces on the battlefield."  The battle for the east is going to amp up, and it's going to be much more of a traditional frontal slog.  And kicking ass or not, the Ukes have one problem -- Russian numbers.  This thing is far from over.

I dunno. I haven't seen the Russians actually dig in well and show they have a clue. It's an uncoordinated mess. The one half decent trench of the Russians that I have seen so far wasn't hardened at all. The Ukr had fucking one foot diameter logs top and front. The UKR has food, gear,knowledge of terrain, and above all else a burning desire to be there. The Russians are drinking pond water and eating dogs or whatever else they can forage. By 'forage' I mean steal from the locals. 

The night witches will keep coming for them. Dropping bombs and hunting them down. I'm starting to think the UKR wants them to hunker down and quit running. But, hey if you wanna run, go to it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

I think the US is formally calling Putin a war criminal or whatever, not sure the impact, but they are pulling out more of the sanctions that haven't already been used.

Need a project map out overlay what sanctions are in place and what else in available.  Getting complicated.  

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The Russians do seem to be lacking a significant amount of trained and equipped soldiers. I don't doubt that they will just sling hoards of bodies at the Ukrainians but damn that is going to be one big fucking body count for the Russians.

2 minutes ago, Parliament said:

You got a Yugo?  I do.  Again, pretty sure it's never been fired.  The wood stock is unsanded and unfinished.  Junk pos.

Yep, paid $150 apiece for two.  Technically not covered under the AWB unless it had been modified (there were some shady conversion kits floating around), but somehow it became illegal to import around the same time as the AWB (don't remember why it was illegal to import, just remember it became illegal to import).  Bought it and some other similar rifles thinking they would go way up in value and I could turn a tidy profit.

I just looked and they are worth $500-$600 to collectors in decent collection.

But if I had sunk that $300 into AAPL in 1994 and just let it sit.....

I would not be surprised if there are a bunch of SKS's being used in Ukraine, if they are using Mosin-Nagants.

5 minutes ago, F250 said:

The Russians do seem to be lacking a significant amount of trained and equipped soldiers. I don't doubt that they will just sling hoards of bodies at the Ukrainians but damn that is going to be one big fucking body count for the Russians.

Like I said.....it's going to get much uglier.

Another 30,000 dead Russians?  If that's what it takes to take and hold the land Putin wants, he doesn't care.  40,000?  50,000?  Again, he gives zero fucks.  And the amount of damage a Russian horde -- even a stupid, poorly armed one -- can do to the Ukrainian military is significant.  They'll lean heavily on artillery and grads, and just try to wipe the earth clean.

Mariupol will not be the only city to be laid waste to, I'm afraid.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1