Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

2 minutes ago, Parliament said:

So is this enough to get Moscows allies (China, India, Germany) to back away?

We/EU/etc. had plenty of room for more sanctions, and it could very well be that additional sanctions will be structured to target those who trade with Russia (and not just Russia itself), so from that perspective, it could push away the other BRICS countries.

Isolating Russia even more creates a power vacuum that China and India will both want to fill, particularly China with military hardware sales to other countries, and seeing the shitshow top-tier Russian weapons systems constantly being wrecked and towed off by farmers isn't helping Russian military sales in the future.

China and India both want to be respected on the world stage, and this is a chance to bury Putin/Russia so to speak.  Russia can't project power if can't conquer a nation literally next door, and if their military is wrecked and can't be easily rebuilt.  Hell, think how this could affect the Middle East if Russia isn't able to prop up Syria/Assad.  Putin is definitely in a corner.

4 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

It’s not just Putin going lone wolf madman.  Although there are good people in Russia I’m sure, as a nation state it is still evil and nihilistic and wholly dismissive of the value of human life and human rights.  So is China.  The world needs to adjust accordingly.  They should not be business partners of free societies.  We need to reorient to Cold War relationships and look to Latin America and other parts of Asia to replace Chinese manufacturing.   Russia needs to be cut off completely.  

And we need to make sure the critical manufacturing is done domestically for national security reasons.  COVID revealing that we rely on China to make like 90% of our medicine, and semiconductors (which already have shortages) all being dependent on Taiwan should have driven that home already, but alas.  Maybe actual World War 2 type atrocities will be a wake up call.

And, frankly, while I don’t think the West should do anything to provoke World War 3, awful regimes like Russia, China and North Korea are going to do what they’re going to do no matter how much you try to accommodate them.  We might as well just start focusing more on doing the right thing.

Yes, all of this will cause economic hardship and will take time.  But it would be manageable if we commit to it in earnest.  What won’t be manageable is when China does something like Russia is doing and we’re completely fucked because we still depend on them for basics.

Money has a short memory. The West will be buying Russian O&G and selling them iphones and cheeseburgers as soon as whatever treaty is signed and this war ends.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Putin/Russia won't have much of a defense when it comes to Bucha, given the indiscriminate leveling of civilian infrastructure that Russia has been engaging in on a wide scale, particularly in Russian-speaking areas.

We have court-martialed our own for war crimes. Outside of punishing your own, has any sovereign nation ever allowed its military or leaders to be tried in the Hague? Losers in war have had to stand for their crimes, but I don't think winners have. Maybe, if Russia signs a treaty of some sort it would allow a few sacrificial lambs.

Were any of the people involved in this war crime tried? How about the guy standing front and center in the picture?

5 minutes ago, Bevo said:

We have court-martialed our own for war crimes. Outside of punishing your own, has any sovereign nation ever allowed its military or leaders to be tried in the Hague? Losers in war have had to stand for their crimes, but I don't think winners have. Maybe, if Russia signs a treaty of some sort it would allow a few sacrificial lambs.

Were any of the people involved in this war crime tried? How about the guy standing front and center in the picture?

Most of these fuckers won't be tried, but maybe the Ukes can get some Mossad like assassins like in Munich to hunt down all the Russian soldiers on those lists.

• Drool 1

21 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Money has a short memory. The West will be buying Russian O&G and selling them iphones and cheeseburgers as soon as whatever treaty is signed and this war ends.

I dont know in this case. I think they are fucked for a while... and McDonald's isn't opening shit there while puttin is still in power. 

5 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

It’s not just Putin going lone wolf madman.  Although there are good people in Russia I’m sure, as a nation state it is still evil and nihilistic and wholly dismissive of the value of human life and human rights.  So is China.  The world needs to adjust accordingly.  They should not be business partners of free societies.  We need to reorient to Cold War relationships and look to Latin America and other parts of Asia to replace Chinese manufacturing.   Russia needs to be cut off completely.  

And we need to make sure the critical manufacturing is done domestically for national security reasons.  COVID revealing that we rely on China to make like 90% of our medicine, and semiconductors (which already have shortages) all being dependent on Taiwan should have driven that home already, but alas.  Maybe actual World War 2 type atrocities will be a wake up call.

And, frankly, while I don’t think the West should do anything to provoke World War 3, awful regimes like Russia, China and North Korea are going to do what they’re going to do no matter how much you try to accommodate them.  We might as well just start focusing more on doing the right thing.

Yes, all of this will cause economic hardship and will take time.  But it would be manageable if we commit to it in earnest.  What won’t be manageable is when China does something like Russia is doing and we’re completely fucked because we still depend on them for basics.

Eh, I wouldn't describe China like that. While there's a definite sickness to Chinese culture, it's more in the form of "Fuck you; I got mine" than anything else. They're awful at any sort of effort demanding teamwork, because nobody believes in a greater good.

It's not all negative, though.

They have very strong family and neighborhood supports. Caring for each other and each other's families is much stronger than here.

Their respect for education is also something I wish was more common here. Remember that there's thousands of years of the Civil Service there, not merely outlasting dynasties, but deft handling of which was a prerequisite to leadership; Kublai Khan had to embrace Chinese culture and the bureaucracy to maintain hold of his conquest, to the point of abandoning his Mongolian ways. Education is competitive as hell, though, and focused far more on gaining practical skills than on the liberal arts. History and social studies are not emphasized or even understood.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

27 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Eh, I wouldn't describe China like that. While there's a definite sickness to Chinese culture, it's more in the form of "Fuck you; I got mine" than anything else. They're awful at any sort of effort demanding teamwork, because nobody believes in a greater good.

They have very strong family and neighborhood supports. Caring for each other and each other's families is much stronger than here.

Their respect for education is also something I wish was more common here. Remember that there's thousands of years of the Civil Service there, not merely outlasting dynasties, but deft handling of which was a prerequisite to leadership; Kublai Khan had to embrace Chinese culture and the bureaucracy to maintain hold of his conquest, to the point of abandoning his Mongolian ways. Education is competitive as hell, though, and focused far more on gaining practical skills than on the liberal arts. History and social studies are not emphasized or even understood.

I would change that to they know that standing out risks getting whacked.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

If the sanctions/isolation/etc. are maintained, could be a situation where they toss out sacrificial lambs (but not Putin himself).  Although the thought of Putin being overthrown and them whisking him off to The Hague so that he's not in their hair inside of Russia is amusing.  

Lest we forget, there are countries within the EU working to sever all ties with Russia, even though it's painful.  Putin pulling out of all of Ukraine isn't going to be enough to get them to reverse course, because what they are doing is a massive institutional change.  

And this Bucha thing is going to help keep those screws tightened.

And while the photo you posted makes a point, I'd argue that most people did not see or hear about that in real-time, nor for many years after.

With this, we are seeing this shit in near real-time.  We have a shitload of people tracking the units involved.  This isn't coming out years after-the-fact, when the soldiers in that photo were probably long dead.

Tying into a bunch of the posts above, there's blood in the water, and plenty of countries would like to see Putin/Russia knocked way the fuck down.  Putin and his shitty military is doing everything they can to give those countries all the ammo they need to try and keep Putin/Russia knocked way down.

And we have probably not seen the worst of the war crimes yet.

This is one helluva photo.  I don't know if it's due to the Starstreak, because I thought that thing broke aircraft apart due to the three warheads, but this thing had to basically do a flat spin in to still be that intact.  There's no massive trench behind the tail like the pilot belly-landed it.

@Days.Off etc. care to comment?

FPbBgCTXIAkcZK3?format=jpg&name=900x900

FPa1N4fXoAU-yw4?format=jpg&name=large

This is supposedly the shoot-down

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

I would change that to they know that standing out risks getting whacked.

Not really, not even in the sense you're trying to say. Standing out academically is rewarded. Being an outstanding athlete, that, too. Art as well. Meritocracy can and does exist there.

But it is all because, by doing so, you make the teachers, the bosses, the Party look good by doing so. Someone benefits. You won't get taken down for getting high test scores; you'll be celebrated.

But there is no reward for being a Moose Johnston. The guy who paves the way for his teammate. The roadie who makes the star look good. The DevOps guy who makes the pipelines run faster. There is no "team" to fight for. In the end, your family comes first ... and all the good AND bad that comes with that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

Go ahead and take a flying fuck at a rolling donut 

• Fuck You 3

42 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

This is one helluva photo.  I don't know if it's due to the Starstreak, because I thought that thing broke aircraft apart due to the three warheads, but this thing had to basically do a flat spin in to still be that intact.  There's no massive trench behind the tail like the pilot belly-landed it.

Maybe he flew through Vodkaman's jet wash?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

the pilot should have been shot 

• Hook 'Em 1

i find it hard to believe that the russians are pulling back to regroup for another offensive. where are they going to get ammo ? fuel ? food ?

You are most likely right. Vlad will try to regain the initiative then claim victory at some point. When you have a stranglehold on his media that is all he needs to save face I think.

So this will probably sound dumb to the smart posters in this thread ( 986, Miller, atom, etc) but I just finished the first season of zelenkys show and I get that it is comedy and satire and whatever... but I think there is a lot of truth in it. He battles corruption and cronyism throughout and it really touches on no matter how badly they want to be a part of Europe they will always have the history of bribery and expectations from the ruling class. 

I thought it was fantastic and even if Ukraine has a lot of problems they want nothing to do with Russia or any of their past. I think they really want to be better and I don't think he gets elected if the average Ukrainian didn't feel the same way. Even if they don't know how to get rid of the corruption of their past. 

I also think it shows why Russia will fail. They don't have the tentative hope of the Ukrainians. 

[mention=4513]Days.Off[/mention] etc. care to comment?
[/url] FPbBgCTXIAkcZK3?format=jpg&name=900x900

Seems like a perfect example of a low energy impact, thus keeping its shape. My guess would be he was at a low altitude/AoA, to begin with, and that's why you don't see a trail of parts strung out 1/4 mile.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Rimbo said:
Not really, not even in the sense you're trying to say. Standing out academically is rewarded. Being an outstanding athlete, that, too. Art as well. Meritocracy can and does exist there.
But it is all because, by doing so, you make the teachers, the bosses, the Party look good by doing so. Someone benefits. You won't get taken down for getting high test scores; you'll be celebrated.
But there is no reward for being a Moose Johnston. The guy who paves the way for his teammate. The roadie who makes the star look good. The DevOps guy who makes the pipelines run faster. There is no "team" to fight for. In the end, your family comes first ... and all the good AND bad that comes with that.

Should've been more specific that my comment was regarding entrepreneurially endeavors/innovation. Excellence on behalf of the party is fine. Outshine the party and you get a Jack Ma reeducation.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

16 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

If that I-beam was real, it’d lift those back wheels off the ground. I expect more realism from my 80s TV shows.

I think the turret is far enough back of the front wheels to provide a sufficient counterbalance.  But I concede that you may have more experience than myself in the area of up-armored Le Cars. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I think the turret is far enough back of the front wheels to provide a sufficient counterbalance.  But I concede that you may have more experience than myself in the area of up-armored Le Cars. 

But are you factoring the weight of T's gold chains?

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Great sentiment, but hearing it would/will takes decades to move production out of these areas.  With multiple administrations in play, I hope there is a consensus around this as it needs to happen.  

10 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

i find it hard to believe that the russians are pulling back to regroup for another offensive. where are they going to get ammo ? fuel ? food ?

10 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

And what will make it go better this time?  It’s not like they will do it any differently. 

They’ll have Donbas conscripts…..who have shit supplies/weapons and training.  

https://www.reuters.com/world/conscripts-sent-fight-by-pro-russia-donbas-get-little-training-old-rifles-poor-2022-04-04/

In case you’re wondering what we can expect in Mariupol.  FYI, this is a Russian government website that’s BRAGGING:

”First hand footage of the cleansing of houses in Mariupol.  Russian soldiers and fighters of the Donetsk People’s Republic Armed Forces check each basement and checks documents and for Nazi tattoos among the population.”

• Rage+1 1