Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

30 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Russia wants to sanction people

A sanction......forbidding people from visiting an authoritarian shithole where a gourmet dinner will be a glass of crude oil and a rancid potato?

That's akin to an order forbidding you from having a romantic relationship with Rosie O'Donnell.  

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

A sanction......forbidding people from visiting an authoritarian shithole where a gourmet dinner will be a glass of crude oil and a rancid potato?

That's akin to an order forbidding you from having a romantic relationship with Rosie O'Donnell.  

What's telling is that just looking at the American and Canadian lists, Russia is banning lots of journalists.  Tells you who Russia considers to be a threat.

Meanwhile, we are sanctioning the people enabling Putin and enabling the war effort.

And tying into the latest reason that the Russian government is giving for the war (that Ukraine was taken from Russia), this researcher started a thread on all of the various reasons that Russia/Putin has used, with links to the various media (videos, statements from the Russians, etc.), and it's closing in on 20 reasons.

It reads like a fucking laundry list of Qanon conspiracies, which I find very interesting,  It reinforces the notion that Putin isn't some kind of master genius, and that Russia is not truly a great power, they are just a big-ass oil state with nukes, complete with grifters/oligarchs who steal from the military, crippling it when it goes to war against a real military power, etc.  The Russian government is clearly playing to the idiots, and hoping that the idiots will drown out the critical thinkers.

• Hook 'Em 2

And running at 75% strength, which, even if you take out the forces that went after Kyiv, that's still a massive problem.  It's not simply that "okay, we had 25% of our forces arrayed against Kyiv, so a loss of 25% is not hurting us elsewhere" because they took heavy losses all over the place, and it doesn't take many losses to reduce the combat effectiveness of BTGs.  They can try and plug in the forces they had near Kyiv into the other units, and that will help, but that doesn't make those units any more cohesive, and it doesn't make up for the loss of officers/experienced personnel.

15 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And tying into the latest reason that the Russian government is giving for the war (that Ukraine was taken from Russia), this researcher started a thread on all of the various reasons that Russia/Putin has used, with links to the various media (videos, statements from the Russians, etc.), and it's closing in on 20 reasons.

It reads like a fucking laundry list of Qanon conspiracies, which I find very interesting,  It reinforces the notion that Putin isn't some kind of master genius, and that Russia is not truly a great power, they are just a big-ass oil state with nukes, complete with grifters/oligarchs who steal from the military, crippling it when it goes to war against a real military power, etc.  The Russian government is clearly playing to the idiots, and hoping that the idiots will drown out the critical thinkers.

All of that shit, and the batshit approach of doing something for two contradictory, mutually exclusive reasons, should sound very familiar to anyone around here who's been paying attention. 

We are a shitload more like Russia than many of us would like to acknowledge.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

Verified by Russian social media and Ukrainian capture of documents with bodies (and POWs), the Russians have lost around 76 captains, 28 lieutenant colonels, and 16 colonels (there is a major lag with a lot of deaths, so the actual number is much higher).

That's 28 BTGs and 16 regiments that lost their commanders.

That's also around 19 BTGs' worth of company commanders that they've lost.

They've also lost 170 2nd and 1st lieutenants, and over 50 majors (which are basically field-grade lieutenants 😆).  That's well over 50 platoons' worth of leadership.

That's staggering.  And all of those majors and lieutenants would have been in the pool to fill in for the dead battalion and company commanders.

And we haven't even gotten into the contract/NCO enlisted (although Russia relies on them less than we rely on our NCOs).

So I can see why they are talking about dozens of pre-invation BTGs are worthless right now.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Verified by Russian social media and Ukrainian capture of documents with bodies (and POWs), the Russians have lost around 76 captains, 28 lieutenant colonels, and 16 colonels (there is a major lag with a lot of deaths, so the actual number is much higher).

They've also lost 170 2nd and 1st lieutenants, and over 50 majors (which are basically field-grade lieutenants 😆).  That's well over 50 platoons' worth of leadership.

That's staggering.  And all of those majors and lieutenants would have been in the pool to fill in for the dead battalion and company commanders.

And we haven't even gotten into the contract/NCO enlisted (although Russia relies on them less than we rely on our NCOs).

So I can see why they are talking about dozens of pre-invation BTGs are worthless right now.

Dang, that's too bad.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We are a shitload more like Russia than many of us would like to acknowledge.

No, "we" are not, and while I know you enjoy being on the ledge, and that we'll probably end up neighbors in the World of Wizarding Harry Potter 55-and-older housing development someday, and will spend our days wondering how much sex the Hufflepuffs and Slytherins are having, and how well a 70-something Sela Ward has aged, Putin and Co. are basically somewhere between Saddam Hussein and Muammar Gaddafi, only with actual nukes and submarines.

• Hook 'Em 4

12 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Regroup and hope you hold onto the territory you illegally grabbed before the “special security operation “.  You just got your shit pushed in.  You think Ukraine, which you just raped, is going to let you keep the coast?   Fuck that.  They are going to continue pushing your shit in. 

Which makes me wonder why the Russians are going through the trouble of digging mass graves near Mangush, when it's fairly close to Mariupol.  I'd think they'd be either cremating the evidence of their crimes, or hauling them to an area that they think they can actually hold in the long term (like Crimea).

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Which makes me wonder why the Russians are going through the trouble of digging mass graves near Mangush, when it's fairly close to Mariupol.  I'd think they'd be either cremating the evidence of their crimes, or hauling them to an area that they think they can actually hold in the long term (like Crimea).

Front line Ivan...he's not a critical thinker.  Same problem as the Nazis though.  They can't burn them fast enough.  Who wants to haul those dead bodies somewhere else?

6 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Front line Ivan...he's not a critical thinker.  Same problem as the Nazis though.  They can't burn them fast enough.  Who wants to haul those dead bodies somewhere else?

If I remember correctly, in one town, bodies were covered with tires and it looked like they tried to burn them but they gave up.  Now they're just creating mass graves taht everyone can see with satellites.

40 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

How do these numbers compare w/ what Ukraine has lost in officers and manpower?  I've seen a lot of civilian death estimates but I don't recall seeing any Ukrainian military casualty numbers.

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Are they really liberators?

The Chechens are mostly there for the "torture and rape civilians" part of the festivities.  That's what sub-basement level barbarians bring to the table: "shittier humans than Russian soldiers."  What a gift to the planet Chechens are.

• Hook 'Em 1

If I remember correctly, in one town, bodies were covered with tires and it looked like they tried to burn them but they gave up.  Now they're just creating mass graves taht everyone can see with satellites.

I can see after this thing ends these guys getting tracked down one by one Mossad style. They already know who was where.

37 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I would like to think, and it’s just the optimistic me, that Vlad gets pushed out of there ultimately.   That’s a lot to ask of the Ukrainian people though.   They’ve suffered enough.  

3 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

How do these numbers compare w/ what Ukraine has lost in officers and manpower?  I've seen a lot of civilian death estimates but I don't recall seeing any Ukrainian military casualty numbers.

Hard to say, since Ukrainians are usually able to recover the bodies of their dead soldiers (minus the current occupied areas), and they get a proper burial and/or aren't left just lying around like the Russians do.  Ukraine has lost far less in terms of soldiers, simply because they are on defense and the attackers will almost always take heavier casualties against a well-prepared defense, plus Russia has expended a lot of heavier munitions against civilian areas (which is dumb as fuck since it doesn't help their military).

With that said, if Ukrainians were losing the kinds of numbers that the Russians are (even proportionally), I also think we'd see it/hear about it - Ukraine is not arresting people for talking about deaths, smartphones are everywhere, Ukrainians are not banned from social media in the West, etc.

I think the Russians will have many more officers dead just based on how their military works, versus Ukraine (who is more aligned with the West) - it feels like Ukrainian units have a lot more independence/self-reliance based on what we've seen, which speaks to NCOs and junior officers being trained/able to think on their own.

Russians on the other hand - their junior officers also have to do the kinds of stuff that Western NCOs do, and their higher-ranking officers are doing the kinds of things that our company/platoon officers in the West do, which means they are a lot more exposed at the front.   This also leads to their generals dying.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Did you miss the fact that "we" were trying to pull out of NATO in the not too distant past? Undoubtedly at the behest of the russian dictator? "We" are very much close to as stupid as the russians due to our limited critical thought and mass exposure to russian propaganda. Brisket is spot on in this matter.

That’s the public “we”.  The behind the scenes “we” means that if so much as a wing of a Russian jet gets into Romania or Poland they are toast.  I regret we hadn’t given the Ukraine those means.  I mentioned before my whole business is air and missile defense.   Well actually mix in some firefighting with drones in California and translating radio comms.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Did you miss the fact that "we" were trying to pull out of NATO in the not too distant past? Undoubtedly at the behest of the russian dictator? "We" are very much close to as stupid as the russians due to our limited critical thought and mass exposure to russian propaganda. Brisket is spot on in this matter.
Agreed 100%. Anything else I might have to add is CR
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So if this thing really gets going in a positive way and they start taking land back and want to take crimea back, do we/nato have to be against that as a concession from years ago?

I don’t think that’s likely to happen, but if it did I wouldn’t shed any tears.  I would just push from the west and tell them you broke it, you buy it, and by the way, we are joining NATO and you just lost a large couch cushion and most of your gdp in change.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'm extremely offended that the jews didn't make the list. 

22 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So if this thing really gets going in a positive way and they start taking land back and want to take crimea back, do we/nato have to be against that as a concession from years ago?

You support it behind the scenes and then whatever happens, happens. If Ukraine taking back their own territory from russia occupation is grounds for total world annihilation, then we crossed than line when the special operation started and it was over in February anyways. Russia is doing this under the guise of nazism but everyone knows this is about oil and legacy. FAFO

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

18 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I don’t think that’s likely to happen, but if it did I wouldn’t shed any tears.  I would just push from the west and tell them you broke it, you buy it, and by the way, we are joining NATO and you just lost a large cushion and most of your gdp.   

Just now, HOOKEM4 said:

You support it behind the scenes and then whatever happens, happens. If Ukraine taking back their own territory from russia occupation is grounds for total world annihilation, then we crossed than line when the special operation started and it was over in February anyways. Russia is doing this under the guise of nazism but everyone knows this is about oil and legacy. FAFO

If Ukraine reaches the point where they can start moving on Crimea, I think that's when Putin truly pulls out the nuke threat.  We keep talking about how this is an existential crisis to Putin, but pushing Russia completely out of the Feb 24th areas and threatening Crimea would be Putin backed into a corner that we really can't comprehend. 

With that said, I think we back Ukraine as far as they want to go (minus invading Russia proper).  I could see them writing off Crimea if it means Russia sues for peace. If Ukraine fully takes back all of the contested areas (minus Crimea), and pushes the Russians back to Crimea, and then gives up Crimea, that opens Ukraine up for NATO membership, which would lead to all kinds of negotiations.  Ukraine's biggest barrier to NATO was having Russian troops on Ukrainian land (forgot the rule, but it was basically you had to be secure/stable within your borders as a nation state, etc. and that can't happen with an occupying 3rd party).

And tying into @HOOKEM4's point - a major part of why Russia went after the coastline is that if they can seize and hold those coastal areas and annex them, that's a shit-ton of offshore oil & gas claims that he can bribe his oligarchs with, and it removes a threat to his oligarchs - Ukraine had been working on developing those areas and if Ukraine had been able to fully capitalize on them, that would have been a major blow to Russian oil & gas production, as Ukraine could have helped replace Russian oil & gas in Western Europe.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If Ukraine reaches the point where they can start moving on Crimea, I think that's when Putin truly pulls out the nuke threat.  We keep talking about how this is an existential crisis to Putin, but pushing Russia completely out of the Feb 24th areas and threatening Crimea would be Putin backed into a corner that we really can't comprehend. 

With that said, I think we back Ukraine as far as they want to go (minus invading Russia proper).  I could see them writing off Crimea if it means Russia sues for peace. If Ukraine fully takes back all of the contested areas (minus Crimea), and pushes the Russians back to Crimea, and then gives up Crimea, that opens Ukraine up for NATO membership, which would lead to all kinds of negotiations.  Ukraine's biggest barrier to NATO was having Russian troops on Ukrainian land (forgot the rule, but it was basically you had to be secure/stable within your borders as a nation state, etc. and that can't happen with an occupying 3rd party).

And tying into @HOOKEM4's point - a major part of why Russia went after the coastline is that if they can seize and hold those coastal areas and annex them, that's a shit-ton of offshore oil & gas claims that he can bribe his oligarchs with, and it removes a threat to his oligarchs - Ukraine had been working on developing those areas and if Ukraine had been able to fully capitalize on them, that would have been a major blow to Russian oil & gas production, as Ukraine could have helped replace Russian oil & gas in Western Europe.

Sooner or later, that land belongs to Ukraine.   If there is peace now, it’s only temporary.  They are going to take it back from the inside out if nothing else.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Another chemical plant was reportedly hit yesterday.  Wonder if these are the ones that produce the chemical weapons?

It was in Ivanovo.

https://russia.liveuamap.com/en/2022/21-april-big-fire-at-chemical-plant-in-kinishma-of-ivanovo

Makes 3 destroyed chemical plants, inside Russia, in the last week

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Hook 'Em 1