Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

7 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

The fire got me thinking.  (A dangerous pastime, I know.)  If Russia is mobilizing pilots right off of a departing plane, are they grabbing fire and EMS, too?  That could have some bad consequences.

I don’t know what is more likely… them mobilizing commercial pilots right off the line because they are seriously low on pilots or the idea that they are mobilizing this guy due to their list and he’s going to end up on the front line as an infantry troop.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I don’t know what is more likely… them mobilizing commercial pilots right off the line because they are seriously low on pilots or the idea that they are mobilizing this guy due to their list and he’s going to end up on the front line as an infantry troop.

This right here. They are not matching skills with needs. They’re just throwing warm bodies at bullets.
  • Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

29 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

This right here. They are not matching skills with needs. They’re just throwing warm bodies at bullets.

Some Russian YouTubers have mentioned that the government has master lists of where people live (pensions, summons, etc.), and that a lot of Russian YouTubers and other Russian youths had not kept their addresses updated, so they were a bit off the grid.

They are looking at tax and income records and going to businesses and making employees rat out their coworkers.

Slow listen, but some interesting perspectives from a 40-something who has seen a lot.

• Hook 'Em 2

Oh, ok. I guess there has been so much going on and this thread is moving so fast that it's just hard to keep up with. But good for Egypt voting for the good guys when stuff that was supposed to be sent to them was sent to Ukrain instead. Seriously, we need to remember the good stuff these smaller nations that don't have our resources do for the cause even when it seems like something trivial to us.

• Hook 'Em 3

Oh, ok. I guess there has been so much going on and this thread is moving so fast that it's just hard to keep up with. But good for Egypt voting for the good guys when stuff that was supposed to be sent to them was sent to Ukrain instead. Seriously, we need to remember the good stuff these smaller nations that don't have our resources do for the cause even when it seems like something trivial to us.

I think some of the wheat leaving Ukraine has been going to Egypt. The wheat dole is still a thing there evidently and without it there’s political instability.

Which is to say no one - especially in that part of the world - is a pure altruist. Everyone has their reasons for doing what they do.
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, Superhero said:

As much as I enjoy Ukrainian propaganda, there’s no way in hell those women are putting on makeup before they go into firefight. 

I can assure you it's more likely than not that many of them brought their makeup to the field.

Source: Am 1/2 Polish and 1/4 Ukranian.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 10/10/2022 at 12:00 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

So, gathering my thoughts on what this means. 

First, this is the new commander of the “SMO,” Sergei Surovkin. He is commander of the aerospace forces and he led the intervention in Syria from 2017-2019.

image.jpeg.b3bce98c762da1593e01d6cbcbb2fd67.jpeg

It’s unsurprising one of his first moves was to resort to terror bombing.  The Russians did this all over Syria.  One thing to remember— in Syria, much of the destruction was done by tons of unguided gravity bombs dropped from a position of air superiority and with Syrian troops on the ground doing the nasty work. Surovkin has neither in Ukraine.

Second, this is at least as much of a domestic show of force as it was a message to Ukraine. Russia’s propagandists were howling and desperate for a show of strength and now they have one.  There can be no battlefield victories but they can terrify Ukrainian citizens and murder them in their daily lives.  These strikes will satisfy the bloodthirsty agitators for a while. 

Third, it reveals how badly Ukraine needs more air defense. That’s easier said that done. Put simply, the U.S. and our Allies have spent decades prepping to deliver the shock and awe, not defend against it. This isn’t our strongest suit. Ukraine likely has its air defenses set up to guard critical military infrastructure and so that’s a secondary reason for Russia to attack civilians. 

Finally, it’s worth remembering that for Russia and Putin escalation only means more murdering of civilians.  It does not mean a renewed effort to take and control territory or defeat the Ukrainian military. They can’t do that. 

So, looking at my second point— the domestic component is looking like the driving force behind these missile attacks.  They’d keep up the pressure if they had enough missiles and if they were really doing a targeted campaign against Ukrainian infrastructure. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Some Russian YouTubers have mentioned that the government has master lists of where people live (pensions, summons, etc.), and that a lot of Russian YouTubers and other Russian youths had not kept their addresses updated, so they were a bit off the grid.

They are looking at tax and income records and going to businesses and making employees rat out their coworkers.

Slow listen, but some interesting perspectives from a 40-something who has seen a lot.

Russia has an internal passport and registration system.  Legacy of the Soviet and even Tsarist era.  You have a passport and a “propiska” and all your stuff from health clinics to pensions to taxes are tied to your propiska. And you’re supposed to update it when you move but because it’s so time consuming and sometimes (always) requires bribes they don’t do it. Technically the propiska was abolished and replaced with “registration” after the Soviet era but in reality it’s all still there, with the exception that it’s easier to buy property without registration. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Russia has an internal passport and registration system.  Legacy of the Soviet and even Tsarist era.  You have a passport and a “propiska” and all your stuff from health clinics to pensions to taxes are tied to your propiska. And you’re supposed to update it when you move but because it’s so time consuming and sometimes (always) requires bribes they don’t do it. Technically the propiska was abolished and replaced with “registration” after the Soviet era but in reality it’s all still there, with the exception that it’s easier to buy property without registration. 

Yeah, a couple of the YouTubers mentioned they had avoided keeping it updated, since their income was Youtube and other internet stuff, and everything was done electronically and they didn’t care.  They were just hoping that if they got mobilized by notification to that “propiska” (in some cases another city) that they wouldn’t come across officials who had access to such lists of the mobilized.  Given the shitshow and the quotas, it sounded like mobilization officers went after low-hanging fruit at their official addresses, and then just grabbing young men off the streets.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, choripan said:

I can assure you it's more likely than not that many of them brought their makeup to the field.

Source: Am 1/2 Polish and 1/4 Ukranian.

my mother (of Italian descent)  puts on make-up to head to the gym.   Even into her 70s.

• Hook 'Em 2

It is kind of dumb that so many articles nit pick what is and is not allowed by Russian law with regards to their army. It's pretty clear they don't care about laws of any kind and will just do whatever they want anyway.

This is a trait of authoritarian regimes throughout history. They make some absurd law like all Jews must wear a yellow Star of David then say, “Well we were just following the law?!” incredulously. It is not a new thing. But your point is well taken. They can’t even follow the authoritarian playbook well.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Split it with you, and toss in a bottle of vodka for her. I mean she has to bribe someone at some point. 

Deport her ass as an Enemy Agent. Let her head back to the barren wastelands of Russia. Enjoy your hovel on the steppes. 

nah, put her in a lifeboat, throw in a compass and a pistol with a single bullet and drop her off in the middle of the Norwegian Sea.  Give her a paddle if she is nice.

12 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Stalin plus Hitler, minus their intelligence.

almost... stallin as in stalling....