So...about Charlie Strong at USF...

horn_of_the_morning

54 minutes ago, Snacks said:

I'm blek...

I was a Charlie apologist...

(I don't even know how tapa opened this thread to this old post, but I read it, so...)

Charlie Strong hasnt had a starting caliber QB since Teddy B.

Find me the coaches who are winning without a QB.

Our program was a 6 win program once Ash and Espinosa went down.

But we never should have lost to KU...

Mack won 8 with case McCoy.  But yea Mack had to go.  Would you feel differently about Charlie if he weren’t blek?

23 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I just wasn't a fan of him being our coach from the beginning. Something told me he couldn't get it done. Part of me is glad we had to go through him to finally get Herman, but I just knew he wasn't it. I couldn't get behind him. He did nothing impressive other than beat an overrated Florida team coached by another HC imbecile. 

His introductory pc was scary

Just now, Barry_McCokiner said:

His introductory pc was scary

I didn't even watch it. I just remember being extremely disappointed with the hire. I had zero expectations, but he truly let me down more than I ever could have imagined. After year 2 I couldn't take it anymore. I was completely numb to the point that losing to Kansas had zero effect on me. I was just so fucking happy that finally sealed his fate. It sucks we lost to them, but I couldn't take it anymore. 

3 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I didn't even watch it. I just remember being extremely disappointed with the hire. I had zero expectations, but he truly let me down more than I ever could have imagined. After year 2 I couldn't take it anymore. I was completely numb to the point that losing to Kansas had zero effect on me. I was just so fucking happy that finally sealed his fate. It sucks we lost to them, but I couldn't take it anymore. 

Most horn fans were but we came around until BYU ketch the sjw loved him 

Just now, Barry_McCokiner said:

Most horn fans were but we came around until BYU ketch the sjw loved him 

I remember people trying their best, but he just seemed off. Like the lights were on but no one was home. I hated his recruiting technique, too. He got us some ballers, but that's about it. After UCLA I looked at my girlfriend and said "fuck. This is what I'm gonna have to deal with for awhile." It was hard.

1 hour ago, Snacks said:

I'm blek...

(I don't even know how tapa opened this thread to this old post, but I read it, so...)

Strong + Ehlinger would have been an absolute shit show

7 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I remember people trying their best, but he just seemed off. Like the lights were on but no one was home. I hated his recruiting technique, too. He got us some ballers, but that's about it. After UCLA I looked at my girlfriend and said "fuck. This is what I'm gonna have to deal with for awhile." It was hard.

Yep and keep in mind hundley was knocked out early that game.  Neweasels kid beat us

Edited by Barry_McCokiner

5 hours ago, Disco Missile said:

Po, I was reading BoN yesterday and read this article about Shaka Smart and read a passage that made me think of this and laugh.

We all said the same thing about David McWilliams. Great guy, we love him, former player but he is in over his head and has to go. Was he black to? So tired of this race baiting shit.

This thread stands in marked contrast to the thread started about the culture under Herman.

Herman's job coming in was so monumental. He had to clean out the stench left by Strong. A stench of losing. A stench of failure. A stench of incompetence.

We had gotten away from our history. We had gotten away from being Texas. Just as the baseball team doesn't dog pile for winning sub-regionals, or regionals, the Texas football team doesn't carry around their head coach on their shoulders after winning a regular season game.

We aren't back yet. 

But at least the road is before us and there is clarity of vision.

That kid who played QB for him in 2017 seemed starting calibery. 
The true freshman that was injured and had limited strength? The guy that beat out a TE playing QB and is transferring now because he couldn't beat out a true freshman that made lots of mistakes? That guy?

ab72c8cd25fe73cbef8443416dcc2f2c.gif
  • Like 3

And who's fucking job is it to recruit said quarter back?
How many years does it normally take to recruit a really good QB?

1st season strong had had zero recruits, right? But he had Ash, Swoopes, Heard (HSFR) ... Ash played half a game. Swoopes finished the season...

2nd season, he had Swoopes, Heard and recruited Buechele.

3rd season, Buechele started as a true fr. Strong was fired.

When was he supposed to get this all world QB to play behind that terrible OL?

Anybody walking into that job was done from day one. Anybody.

This is the reason people are pissed at Mack... We are still recovering...really.

And I admit that strong wasn't the right guy. I wanted him to be, but I'm not sure Nick Saban would be any further along than where we are right now. It was going to take anybody 5 years to get to 10 wins.
  • Like 1

Just now, Snacks said:
1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:
Nick Saban was winning with Greg f'n McElroy. All he needed was someone to throw a pass, nothing more. 

Nick Saban didn't start off winning... And he didn't start off coaching a team with zero draft picks.

Nope. But he recruited his ass off and won 12 games in year 2 and 14 in year 3. Strong could've recruited better, not hired Shawn Watson, and he MIGHT still have a job. 

• Like 1

We all said the same thing about David McWilliams. Great guy, we love him, former player but he is in over his head and has to go. Was he black to? So tired of this race baiting shit.

David McWilliams is a good example.... He inherited a bad offense... He got to struggle for 3 years, won the conference in 90, then went back to struggling in year 5.

The reason McWilliams got fired was he couldn't recruit offense and he couldn't field an offense... Which is why we went to Mackovic.

(didn't McWilliams get Steve Clements at QB? I can't recall)

43 minutes ago, Snacks said:
2 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:
That kid who played QB for him in 2017 seemed starting calibery. 

The true freshman that was injured and had limited strength? The guy that beat out a TE playing QB and is transferring now because he couldn't beat out a true freshman that made lots of mistakes? That guy?

Strong didn’t coach at Texas in 2017. So no, not Shane. That borderline Heisman candidate at So Flurda. 

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I wasn't being serious, and I don't think Po was either. You should try to laugh.

Edited by Disco Missile
Autocorrect

1 hour ago, Snacks said:

How many years does it normally take to recruit a really good QB?

1st season strong had had zero recruits, right? But he had Ash, Swoopes, Heard (HSFR) ... Ash played half a game. Swoopes finished the season...

2nd season, he had Swoopes, Heard and recruited Buechele.

3rd season, Buechele started as a true fr. Strong was fired.

When was he supposed to get this all world QB to play behind that terrible OL?

Anybody walking into that job was done from day one. Anybody.

This is the reason people are pissed at Mack... We are still recovering...really.

And I admit that strong wasn't the right guy. I wanted him to be, but I'm not sure Nick Saban would be any further along than where we are right now. It was going to take anybody 5 years to get to 10 wins.

As bad as the offense was, Strong's defenses were far worse. Wasted a 2000 yard effort by Donta on a 5-7 season.

• Like 1

As bad as the offense was, Strong's defenses were far worse. Wasted a 2000 yard effort by Donta on a 5-7 season.

That was what surprised me. I was excited by the hire because he was supposedly a good defensive minded coach. I thought he would be able to slow down the conference and that he would hire an OC that would resemble what Gilbert was trying to do.

1. I still feel like the oSu game in 2015 has implications that we don't need to discuss at this time.  Maybe in 10 years.

2. Mack left a smoking crater that we are only *just now* 6 years later maybe possibly climbing out of.

3. Charlie chose to clean house; had he not, we might have a different opinion on the depth of the smoking crater.

4. Charlie beat Domer then lost to Kansas.  Never go full aggy.  Charlie did.

5. And that's all I've got to say about that.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Snacks said:
4 hours ago, Nope said:
Strong + Ehlinger would have been an absolute shit show

Herman and Ehlinger was a shit show last season.

But still better than any of Charlie’s seasons here.  Also Charlie’s first team here had draft picks.  The marks were quick to point out that Charlie developed them

2 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

And for the record, I'm sure Charlie is a very nice guy, but it's beyond concerning when you don't know your own zip code. Some people just need to remain coordinators their entire career. 

Mrs blue thought so

2 hours ago, 936horn said:

Amazing anyone still defends coach milk dud head. Nice guy, but damn was he out of his depth from day one.  

Reverse racism

• Haha 1

Charlie's biggest problem IMO was that he couldn't get the defense right. That was his calling card, his area of expertise. And it got worse each year he was here. 

He finally realized that he needed to install a modern/competent offense in '16 (which was obvious to almost everyone two years earlier), but the defense actually turned into a bigger shit show than it had been previously. 

The team rarely looked well-coached and special teams and clock management was usually a disaster...but to me, the biggest issue was that the defensive wiz couldn't field an above-average defense in years 2 or 3 of his regime. The expectation was that the defense would always be good with Charlie there. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

In the 2014 UCLA game at Jerryworld, late in the game, on 4th down, with the game on the line and an inexperienced Swoopes as QB, with the play clock running down, instead of calling his last time out and getting things under control, Charlie decided to run a play even though multiple players were out of alignment and confused as to what was going on. Of course, the play went nowhere, UCLA took over on downs, and Charlie Strong went into the post-game press conference with a time out left to burn. That was my first Charlie Strong “wtf” moment. 

That's when I knew we were in trouble with him at the controls.

9 hours ago, Snacks said:

I'm blek...

Snacks you full of shit motherfucker. Quentin Flowers was the 2016 AAC player of the year, an 11 game winner, and returned for charlie’s first year in 2017 and promptly got worse. His ypc dropped 2.2 yards and he dipped by 7 less rushing TDs. His completion percentage dropped from 62.5 to 53.1.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinton_Flowers

He had nfl athleticism, as evidened by the fact hes still cashing an nfl check after being an undrafted free agent. This was a guy who was mentioned for heisman candidacy going into the 2017 season. Charlie had a QB, he just didnt know wtf to do with one that couldnt coach himself, much less a guy who fit a scheme he couldnt understand. Charlie Strong had an experienced, senior qb in 2017 and he and the team promptly performed poorer than they did in the preceding season, getting worse as the season wore on. 

Or do duel threat qbs not count as “real” qbs?

• Like 1