So...about Charlie Strong at USF...

horn_of_the_morning

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

We just beat OU, played for the Big 12 championship, and won the fucking Sugar Bowl. Don't do this.

We did, but you have to admit, deep down, that it's a bit of fool's gold. 10-4 with a Sugar Bowl win is leaps and bounds better than 5-7 with no bowl. But, how impressive is it? We beat 2 teams that ended up in the final rankings, albeit, both in the Top 8. We lost to ou, who was the only other team worth a shit in the conference. We were 1-1 against the mediocre teams (WVU and ISU). And, of course, we lost to a 5-7 Maryland team (Without a coach) and a 7-6 OSU team. We barely survived teams like KSU, KU and Baylor. The only reason we had a shot at the Big 12 title was because of the Big 12 CCG, which almost everyone here has bemoaned the existence of. The only reason we played in the Sugar Bowl is because ou was so good that they made the CFP. Had the rules not changed, we may have gone 10-3 with a Peach Bowl win, which is good on paper but still has most of the above-mentioned issues. Now, we are losing 9 starters on defense, a good RB and possibly our best WR. 

It feels good on an emotional level and it's progress, but I think a lot of people are crowning us prematurely. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:
We did, but you have to admit, deep down, that it's a bit of fool's gold. 10-4 with a Sugar Bowl win is leaps and bounds better than 5-7 with no bowl. But, how impressive is it? We beat 2 teams that ended up in the final rankings, albeit, both in the Top 8. We lost to ou, who was the only other team worth a shit in the conference. We were 1-1 against the mediocre teams (WVU and ISU). And, of course, we lost to a 5-7 Maryland team (Without a coach) and a 7-6 OSU team. We barely survived teams like KSU, KU and Baylor. The only reason we had a shot at the Big 12 title was because of the Big 12 CCG, which almost everyone here has bemoaned the existence of. The only reason we played in the Sugar Bowl is because ou was so good that they made the CFP. Had the rules not changed, we may have gone 10-3 with a Peach Bowl win, which is good on paper but still has most of the above-mentioned issues. Now, we are losing 9 starters on defense, a good RB and possibly our best WR. 

It feels good on an emotional level and it's progress, but I think a lot of people are crowning us prematurely. 

This is an awful take.

I guarantee 9-3 Texas with a win over Oklahoma goes to a NY6 bowl this year if the stupid CCG didn't exist.

And if it didn't exist we also don't lose to Oklahoma but rather likely finish 10-3 with a NY6 win and end up ranked even higher. Peach Bowl, Sugar Bowl, who cares? So you're talking about how the rules changes are the only reason our season was as good as it was when in reality they are the only reason we ended up with an extra loss and didn't finish ranked #7 instead of #9.

Now the one thing you're right about is that there are still question marks, but those apply to everyone.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

This take sucks. That's called football, man. Win by one point or 50, it's still a win.

Oklahoma barely survived Army and still went to the CFP. In 2015, Oklahoma lost to 5-7 Texas and went to the CFP. tOSU lost to Purdue this year, but beat the shit out of Michigan. I doubt any of these teams look back at their seasons and say "Man, it was good...but that one game means we actually really suck."

You may want to do something about that hypertension so you can actually enjoy this sport. 

Edited by Eggo

10 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

We did, but you have to admit, deep down, that it's a bit of fool's gold. 10-4 with a Sugar Bowl win is leaps and bounds better than 5-7 with no bowl. But, how impressive is it?

By your measure, no one but Clemson had a good year.

Sorry, I'll enjoy it. You do you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eggo said:

This take sucks. That's called football, man. Win by one point or 50, it's still a win.

Oklahoma barely survived Army and still went to the CFP. In 2015, Oklahoma lost to 5-7 Texas and went to the CFP. tOSU lost to Purdue this year, but beat the shit out of Michigan. 

You may want to do something about that hypertension so you can actually enjoy this sport. 

A win is a win is true at the beginning of the season. A win is a win is NOT true when your argument is that your team has gotten better despite the level of competition remaining stagnant. It's not about blowing out everybody on your schedule. It's about showing consistency rather than playing down to the level of talent if you are supposed to be the better team. 

3 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Well, if you guarantee it, I guess you're right. 

Come up with 12 teams in the NY6 with 9-3 Texas left out. We will see whose scenario seems more likely. Keep in mind that your entire scenario is based on Oklahoma missing the playoff at 11-1 and Big 12 champion. That absolutely has to happen or else Texas is still guaranteed the Sugar Bowl berth.

Edited by Huckleberry

1 hour ago, sushihorn said:

Herman's UH teams often blew out the weak sisters on their schedule.  I don't see it as a constant of his coaching career.

That a fact? Alright, I was just told his teams under-performed against bad teams when he got the job. I hope you are right that this is nothing we need to worry about going forward.

Edited by Valmy77

40 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

By your measure, no one but Clemson had a good year.

Sorry, I'll enjoy it. You do you.

Did Clemson consistently struggle with subpar competition? You're defending an argument that no one is making. I am talking specifically about the 2018 Texas Longhorns vs. the teams on their schedule. You can play Tulsa, SMU, North Texas, etc. with an average win of 6 points to claim a good season. It's different than losing by an average of 3 points to ou, Bama, Clemson, etc. on every level except emotional. It doesn't necessarily mean that you are a better team based solely on the W-L record. That's why UCF wasn't even considered for the CFP. 

It happens even to NC caliber teams, just less often.  2 points @ aggy and 4 points at home vs Syracuse are nothing like the domination that Clemson showed in the CFP.  Look at the aggy game in 2005.  Or for that matter the USC-Fresno St game that same year.

Edited by sushihorn

46 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Come up with 12 teams in the NY6 with 9-3 Texas left out. We will see whose scenario seems more likely. Keep in mind that your entire scenario is based on Oklahoma missing the playoff at 11-1 and Big 12 champion. That absolutely has to happen or else Texas is still guaranteed the Sugar Bowl berth.

Texas, Washington State and Penn State would be fighting it out for the last at-large spot to play Florida/UCF in that scenario. Make an argument as to why Texas would be guaranteed a berth over the other 2 teams with the same records. Keep in mind that Texas lost to Maryland, OSU and WVU in your scenario. 

1 hour ago, Spankytoes said:

A win is a win is true at the beginning of the season. A win is a win is NOT true when your argument is that your team has gotten better despite the level of competition remaining stagnant. It's not about blowing out everybody on your schedule. It's about showing consistency rather than playing down to the level of talent if you are supposed to be the better team. 

7 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Undefeated 2002 tOSU that beat 5 ranked teams says hello to 4-loss 2018 Texas? Ok...hi!

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/ohio-state/2002-schedule.html

Not seeing the comparison to anything I posted.

That tOSU team beat 5-7 Illinois by one score in mid-November. I think the analogy/argument is that a good team, one capable of beating multiple teams that were ranked at the time and more than one that finished in the top 10, can still struggle to put away lesser teams for a variety of reasons.

Edited by Magus Ossis

13 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Texas, Washington State and Penn State would be fighting it out for the last at-large spot to play Florida/UCF in that scenario. Make an argument as to why Texas would be guaranteed a berth over the other 2 teams with the same records. Keep in mind that Texas lost to Maryland, OSU and WVU in your scenario. 

Well I'll play even though you've already lost because it's less than 50% probability Oklahoma misses the playoff.

Washington State is immediately eliminated and it's not even up for debate. The NY6 exists to make money. Not to mention that without the Big 12 Championship Game Texas is ranked ahead of them in the final CFP ranking along with Penn State.

So in this already unlikely scenario it comes down to 9-3 Penn State and 9-3 Texas. They're not taking a third Big 10 team before a second Big 12 team when the second Big 12 team is Texas and there are already 3 SEC teams in. Wouldn't have happened. 4-1 against ranked teams Texas or 1-2 against ranked teams Penn State?

Edited by Huckleberry

1 hour ago, Magus Ossis said:

That tOSU team beat 5-7 Illinois by one score in mid-November. I think the analogy/argument is that a good team, one capable of beating multiple teams that were ranked at the time and more than one that finished in the top 10, can still struggle to put away lesser teams for a variety of reasons.

That wasn’t my argument. At all

On 1/14/2019 at 2:14 PM, Johnny Sack said:

Best part was right before halftime we take a delay of game on third down that took us from 37 to 42 yards out.  Our kicker was decent inside 40. And awful outside it.  

We had three fucking timeouts left.  

Never forget.

Seriously, this never stops being funny.

To get things back on topic... just thank God Coach Potato is gone and is now USF's problem. No take backs of course.

The rotting stench he left on our proud program is just about completely dissipated.

Much like the second ex-Mrs. Lid.

Onward and upward Gentlemen.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2018 at 2:07 PM, po elvis said:

if you are white, you are obligated to start with "I love Charlie, he is a great guy but...'

it shows you aren't one of those other whites, you are one of the good ones.

Po, I was reading BoN yesterday and read this article about Shaka Smart and read a passage that made me think of this and laugh.

Let the official record show that I, Corey Elliot, am officially done with the Shaka Smart experience in Austin, Texas.

Calm down. I love Shaka Smart — great guy. Good basketball coach. Terrific person.

But, I’m done. And you should be, too.

Edited by Disco Missile

I think the hate comes from the fact that there were so many Charlie apologists (mostly blek guys) that stated it was UT's (and Mack's) fault that he didn't do well here. He was just bad. It just goes to show that recruiting is only one piece of the puzzle.
I'm blek...

I was a Charlie apologist...

(I don't even know how tapa opened this thread to this old post, but I read it, so...)

Charlie Strong hasnt had a starting caliber QB since Teddy B.

Find me the coaches who are winning without a QB.

Our program was a 6 win program once Ash and Espinosa went down.

But we never should have lost to KU...
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Snacks said:

I'm blek...

(I don't even know how tapa opened this thread to this old post, but I read it, so...)

That kid who played QB for him in 2017 seemed starting calibery. 

In the 2014 UCLA game at Jerryworld, late in the game, on 4th down, with the game on the line and an inexperienced Swoopes as QB, with the play clock running down, instead of calling his last time out and getting things under control, Charlie decided to run a play even though multiple players were out of alignment and confused as to what was going on. Of course, the play went nowhere, UCLA took over on downs, and Charlie Strong went into the post-game press conference with a time out left to burn. That was my first Charlie Strong “wtf” moment. 

I just wasn't a fan of him being our coach from the beginning. Something told me he couldn't get it done. Part of me is glad we had to go through him to finally get Herman, but I just knew he wasn't it. I couldn't get behind him. He did nothing impressive other than beat an overrated Florida team coached by another HC imbecile. 

49 minutes ago, Snacks said:

I'm blek...

And who's fucking job is it to recruit said quarter back?