So...about Charlie Strong at USF...

horn_of_the_morning

12 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Fair enough. But I don't think Mackovic was a better recruiter. 

Maybe, but if you look at the end results, I think he may have been a better evaluator of talent.  Mack was like a strip miner in that late-90s/early 00s run.  Get everybody and see who works out.  Mackovic seemed to get a lot fewer big time recruits, but the "hit ratio" was impressive.  Not a lot of "man I really thought that guy would be a star" busts.  Guys derailed by actually getting busted, yes.  But not so much the 4 and 5-star recruits that didn't pan out.

39 minutes ago, PsychMike said:

Could you (or anyone) explain the basis of this bolded part? I have never heard this before, and I have some familiarity with the 1984 team. Actually, a lot. I agree about the two halves of the season characterization.

Well, I wasn't on or near the team so this is all stuff I have learned second hand. First, watch the video-- Akers asks the team (apparently in the locker room after they just got slaughtered in Memorial Stadium by A&M, GREAT TIMING FRED) if they want to go to a bowl game and the response is pretty "meh". Akers even has to remind them that "we'd be going to WIN, not just to go". I've read in more than one place a majority of the players formally voted NOT to go to the Freedom Bowl. The coaches, in their infinite wisdom and backed by Deloss Dodds, said "nah, you're going" and you saw what happened.

The thing to remember about that era of college football, and I direct this generally at the thread more than you specifically, is that players at programs like Texas and Michigan and OU were told from Day 1 "YOU ARE PLAYING FOR THE COTTON/ROSE/ORANGE BOWL". When you get to the end of a dispiriting, four-loss season and you're told "OK, we want you to practice for another three weeks in order to play a non-conference opponent in a bowl you've never heard of in terrible weather", motivation is tough. The '84 team just wanted to stop playing football, as they had already showed in the 2nd half against A&M, but the administration forced them to take the field against Iowa. It couldn't force them to play hard, though, much to Iowa's delight

Edited by SwanderedTalent

28 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Was that in 1995, when Jason Reeves had a late INT to seal the game (the random shit I remember)?  I don't really remember that game being hot, but pretty sloppy with both QB's throwing multiple picks.

It was hot as fuck if you were in the sun and on the bleachers. The official box score says game time temp of 89 and partly cloudy but that's not the real story. As we all know, it gets hotter toward 5:00 and the heat index was over 100 with basically no breeze at all where we were for most of the game. Girlfriend (now wife, no pics, also born and raised in Austin so used to heat) made us leave the game early to head back to my dorm room because she was overheating, but it worked out.

You know, the team won I mean.

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

It was hot as fuck if you were in the sun and on the bleachers. The official box score says game time temp of 89 and partly cloudy but that's not the real story. As we all know, it gets hotter toward 5:00 and the heat index was over 100 with basically no breeze at all where we were for most of the game. Girlfriend (now wife, no pics, also born and raised in Austin so used to heat) made us leave the game early to head back to my dorm room because she was overheating, but it worked out.

You know, the team won I mean.

I attended every home game from 93-96.

The 93 Syracuse game was, by a mile, the hottest game I attended.   I sweated my balls off that game, easily lost 10 lbs.  Kinda surprised none of my friends or I passed out considering we had pre-gamed pretty hard.

Either the tv crew, or one of the Spacemen reporters got a picture of the on-field thermometer reflecting the heat back from the astro-turf field showing the temp on the east sideline (which I was only 5 rows up from) as being more than 120 degrees (even though the air temp was only something like 96). 

25 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

This thread is rad. 

Remember when we played Pitt (at Pitt) and gave up 600 yards rushing?

yeah and Curtis Martin wasn't exactly well known at that point so it was like WHY THE FUCK CAN'T WE TACKLE THIS DUDE

in hindsight, not the most egregiously bad defense of the Mackovic era

Just now, SwanderedTalent said:

I still don't get it

pun1

Dictionary result for pun

/pən/
noun

1. 1.
    a joke exploiting the different possible meanings of a word or the fact that there are words which sound alike but have different meanings.
    "the pigs were a squeal (if you'll forgive the pun)"
    synonyms: play on words, wordplay, double entendre, double meaning, innuendo, witticism, quip;More

58 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Thanks for bringing up Mackovic guys.  Took years of therapy to get past that trauma.  On the bright side, I now remember what Lincoln Riley's recruiting reminds me of.

That's a very good comparison. Mackovic and Riley are both guys who, if you give them 35 seconds to think about it, can scheme "the perfect play" for whatever tendency they've noticed... but can't think long term for the life of them.

23 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I wouldn’t ever compare Mackovic to Riley, and to think that Riley isn’t a long term thinker is so off base and out of left field it sounds petty. 

Weird take, IMHO. Riley is the ultimate exemplar of tactical vs. strategic thinking. Brilliant at it, don't get me wrong, but still very heavily the one, not the other.

On 1/28/2019 at 11:52 AM, Tex Pete said:

Then there was the weird shit: getting clocked on the sideline during a game and "being in a fog" for several weeks of the season. The horrible loss to Rice. The drama with Lovell Pinkney and Mike Adams. The incredible mismanagement of the 1997 team (insisting on passing when Baylor could not stop Ricky Williams, resulting in them tearing down the goalposts).

Mackovic was one smug bastard.

That Rice loss was terrible.  Lots of shit happened in/around that game that make it unforgettable for me.  First, it was a Sunday night game in the middle of the season for some reason so it was basically all alone in primetime on ESPN as there was no Sunday night NFL game then.  Texas was top 10-15ish.  Lost a close home game to a Colorado team that featured Slash (earlier in the season he beat Michigan on a 70 yard hail mary with no time left), soon to be Heisman winning RB Rashaan Salaam who would later kill himself and Rae Carruth who would later have his baby momma killed.  But coming off an emotional RRS win with the Stonie Clark goal line stop.

A few nights before the game a  group of players were caught after hours on 6th street and got suspended for the game.  The guys that got caught all happened to be black.  Well, there were lots of white players out on 6th that night who did not get caught.  This caused a lot of discord within the team and there was some talk of players sitting in protest, though that didn't happen.  This was also the week Mike Adams 'fell asleep behind the wheel' and demolished a photo booth with Pinkney in the car with him, so they got sat too.  Speaking of this, what a difference a few decades makes in how things are prosecuted/covered.  If that happens today its a DWI and you're off the team.

With a three decade win streak vs Rice on the line Texas shits the bed and loses 19-17.  Westbrook goes down with a knee injury that ends his season.  I recall a couple other dudes got hurt too.

Aggie game that year got moved off of Thanksgiving because they were, wait for it, under sanction and could not be on TV, win the conference or go to a bowl.  They embarrassed us at home but we get an SWC co-champ because of a 4-3 logjam and either favorable tie breaker rules or hell maybe there were more than 2 co-champs because of shitty tie breaker rules.  Finished the season 8-4 with a Sun Bowl victory over Mack Brown's Tarheels.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hozz said:

That Rice loss was terrible.  Lots of shit happened in/around that game that make it unforgettable for me.  First, it was a Sunday night game in the middle of the season for some reason so it was basically all alone in primetime on ESPN as there was no Sunday night NFL game then.  Texas was top 10-15ish.  Lost a close home game to a Colorado team that featured Slash (earlier in the season he beat Michigan on a 70 yard hail mary with no time left), soon to be Heisman winning RB Rashaan Salaam who would later kill himself and Rae Carruth who would later have his baby momma killed.  But coming off an emotional RRS win with the Stonie Clark goal line stop.

A few nights before the game a  group of players were caught after hours on 6th street and got suspended for the game.  The guys that got caught all happened to be black.  Well, there were lots of white players out on 6th that night who did not get caught.  This caused a lot of discord within the team and there was some talk of players sitting in protest, though that didn't happen.  This was also the week Mike Adams 'fell asleep behind the wheel' and demolished a photo booth with Pinkney in the car with him, so they got sat too.  Speaking of this, what a difference a few decades makes in how things are prosecuted/covered.  If that happens today its a DWI and you're off the team.

With a three decade win streak vs Rice on the line Texas shits the bed and loses 19-17.  Westbrook goes down with a knee injury that ends his season.  I recall a couple other dudes got hurt too.

Aggie game that year got moved off of Thanksgiving because they were, wait for it, under sanction and could not be on TV, win the conference or go to a bowl.  They embarrassed us at home but we get an SWC co-champ because of a 4-3 logjam and either favorable tie breaker rules or hell maybe there were more than 2 co-champs because of shitty tie breaker rules.  Finished the season 8-4 with a Sun Bowl victory over Mack Brown's Tarheels.

Would love to see that film strip

23 minutes ago, Hozz said:

It was like a 5 way tie for the conference title.

This was also the week Mike Adams 'fell asleep behind the wheel' and demolished a photo booth with Pinkney in the car with him, so they got sat too.  Speaking of this, what a difference a few decades makes in how things are prosecuted/covered.  If that happens today its a DWI and you're off the team.

No way a player gets kicked off the team these days for running over a phone booth while drunk

8 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

No way a player gets kicked off the team these days for running over a phone booth while drunk

Not sure if you are joking or not...it was one of those old places people used to drop off film for development.  I mean regardless of what he hit, I think most teams boot you for a DWI these days.  Also he got suspended over the summer for hitting his ex-gf and a cop.  Allegedly.  And in the Spring he got stabbed in a fight with a Texas hoops player.  Dude had issues.

1 minute ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Yeah I don’t buy Ian Boyd like you do. He’s 2-1 against us and has 2 big 12 titles in 2 seasons. I’m not sure we get to call him out on strategy just yet. 

I don't buy anyone, actually. And results only speak to results, not background. Give a tactician a head start, and in the short term, he'd damn well better win. Wait a couple more seasons and you'll see what I mean.

3 hours ago, markstanco said:
On 1/29/2019 at 12:04 AM, Tex Pete said:
The reason is that he wasn’t evaluating talent. He wouldn’t even watch film of potential recruits when his assistants were begging him to. 

Honest question here, how do you know this? Are you friends with an assistant?

I knew multiple people inside the program at the time. I talked to one assistant who was scouting several players one Friday night and he told me who he was allowed to recruit and who he wasn’t allowed to recruit and why.

That same season, one of our coordinators had players he wanted to recruit and he kept asking Mack to watch their film and make a decision and he would never get around to it. Several of our coaches were working together to try and convince Mack to allow them to recruit some other players. 

This was all post-2010 when Mack was killing himself recruiting. He was “desperate to save his job.” It was a complete sham. He thought he was above getting fired and was going to stay here until he decided to leave. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I knew multiple people inside the program at the time. I talked to one assistant who was scouting several players one Friday night and he told me who he was allowed to recruit and who he wasn’t allowed to recruit and why.

That same season, one of our coordinators had players he wanted to recruit and he kept asking Mack to watch their film and make a decision and he would never get around to it. Several of our coaches were working together to try and convince Mack to allow them to recruit some other players. 

This was all post-2010 when Mack was killing himself recruiting. He was “desperate to save his job.” It was a complete sham. He thought he was above getting fired and was going to stay here until he decided to leave. 

I can't understand why he changed. I believe you, and it explains a lot, but I can't understand why he'd do that.

Edited by Rimbo

14 hours ago, Hozz said:

Oh yes my freshman year. Thanks for reminding me about it.

21 hours ago, Stunns38 said:

It cooled down at halftime with 95% of the crowd leaving. I was a 5 percenter till the end.

Got 50 yard line tix thru the student draw.   

My room mates and I always thought the loss was our fault because we stoped and each got a free hotdog from the Baptist church on 22nd (as they used to do on game days) and when they tried to talk about Jesus we just swallowed and walked off. 

Stayed and sung the eyes. Hung out with our caledonian and iirc we got him a little wasted. 

Also got one of the worst sunburns of my like.