So...about Charlie Strong at USF...

horn_of_the_morning

I know it makes me a bad person but watching the special teams fuck ups made me laugh out loud. It’s the only way I can continue to cope with 2016. The one thing Stong did not do is decline a penalty in that game. Everything else was vintage Strong. 

10 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I was openly cheering for Kansas to beat us in 2016.  Because I wasn’t sure our admin would fire him before that.  Despite his stunning incompetency.   Only time I’ve ever rooted against Texas.  No Ragrets. 

I watched that game, secluded in a very dark room with a bottle of jack and a sixer of coca cola in Galveston. Looking back, my subconscious must have known that Chuckles and his band of buttfuckers were going to give it to us that day, because I rarely go straight to jack and coke and almost never with the bottle never leaving my side. Somewhere in the 2nd quarter, I too began actively cheering for Kansas. I felt like I was catching a glimpse of daylight or something. 

Breckyn Hager bawling on the sideline a week later is something I will never forgive or forget. What a fucking abysmal, pathetic time to be a UT fan. Fuck Charlie Strong, for reals. 

• Like 5

Yeah yeah, we all know he sucks as a head coach. I’m not an “apologist” but there seems to be more anger toward Charlie than Briles and even Paterno. The anger should have been directed toward that shitty AD Patterson for hiring him pretty much on his own. Charlie isn’t bright enough to know that he was in way over his head here and now apparently at S FLA.

1 minute ago, Stunns38 said:

Yeah yeah, we all know he sucks as a head coach. I’m not an “apologist” but there seems to be more anger toward Charlie than Briles and even Paterno. The anger should have been directed toward that shitty AD Patterson for hiring him pretty much on his own. Charlie isn’t bright enough to know that he was in way over his head here and now apparently at S FLA.

Those guys only enabled and covered up the rape of women and children. Chuckles Strong buttfucked UT football for 5 years. How can you not see the difference? What’s wrong with you ?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I watched that game, secluded in a very dark room with a bottle of jack and a sixer of coca cola in Galveston. Looking back, my subconscious must have known that Chuckles and his band of buttfuckers were going to give it to us that day, because I rarely go straight to jack and coke and almost never with the bottle never leaving my side. Somewhere in the 2nd quarter, I too began actively cheering for Kansas. I felt like I was catching a glimpse of daylight or something. 

Breckyn Hager bawling on the sideline a week later is something I will never forgive or forget. What a fucking abysmal, pathetic time to be a UT fan. Fuck Charlie Strong, for reals. 

+rep for Galveston

and Fuck Charlie. His years were the first that I started taking my son to most of the games. I dont even wanna count the times that he left sobbing. He took that shit personally and there wasn't really anything you could say to him. The worst was probably that first Thanksgiving game.  Motherfucker.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

Look Sigmund, I do not even know what the fuck you are trying to do by psycho analyzing other fans on a message board. Personally, I am hate filled motherfucker and have plenty of venom to spew for Briles, Paterno, Strong and anyone else who causes me grief. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Those guys only enabled and covered up the rape of women and children. Chuckles Strong buttfucked UT football for 5 years. How can you not see the difference? What’s wrong with you ?

Reading comprehension. I said there seems to be more anger with shitty coach Charlie than those guys. “Seems”. I’m not going to argue with you, continue getting wasted at 8am and get ready for football.

Poor Charlie is going to get fired and still end up rich with his hot White wife on the beach, lol. And we can finally forget about those disastrous years with him here.

11 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

Reading comprehension. I said there seems to be more anger with shitty coach Charlie than those guys. “Seems”. I’m not going to argue with you, continue getting wasted at 8am and get ready for football.

Poor Charlie is going to get fired and still end up rich with his hot White wife on the beach, lol. And we can finally forget about those disastrous years with him here.

I don’t day drink. I don’t wish Strong ill will outside of the football field. I also don’t care what color his wife is. “Oh no mommy, the black guy is with that white lady!” - right. You guys need some new material. 

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

+rep for Galveston

and Fuck Charlie. His years were the first that I started taking my son to most of the games. I dont even wanna count the times that he left sobbing. He took that shit personally and there wasn't really anything you could say to him. The worst was probably that first Thanksgiving game.  Motherfucker.

Hate to hear that, but it’s good. 

Crying is an integral part of being a Longhorn fan. Best he learn that early. 

• Like 1

That about sums him up. Nice enough guy but has about 1/4 of the mental capacity of the average adult male. 

And has somehow created generational wealth for his descendants. Football is just entertainment because someone so stupid could only make money like that in the entertainment industry, not in a serious segment of the economy.

• Like 1

How about we make this productive. I don't know their schedule, don't know their buyout or their ability to pay it but I'm going to say Charlie gets the ax during the season somewhere between the end of game 7 and the start of game 9. Everybody join in with your best guess (2 game span).

1 minute ago, 927 E. 41st said:

How about we make this productive. I don't know their schedule, don't know their buyout or their ability to pay it but I'm going to say Charlie gets the ax during the season somewhere between the end of game 7 and the start of game 9. Everybody join in with your best guess (2 game span).

4-6

7 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Holy shit I just saw that with 2 minutes left down 49-0 he tried to kick a field goal. That somehow makes being down 49-0 with 2 min left even more pathetic. 

Remember when Charlie defenders would explain away our ST woes by suggesting that they had to spend so much time practicing the other 2 phases of the game that they might not be able to practice special teams? Perhaps they were right, and this would just a good opp for him to get his team some ST practice since they don’t do it in, you know, practice?

43 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

I had the same thought this morning when I saw the score.  I thought to myself he won't make it to game 6.

But does firing him mid-season do anything for your program?  Who off his bumble-fuck of a staff do you appoint as the interim coach?

I think they ride it out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

I had the same thought this morning when I saw the score.  I thought to myself he won't make it to game 6.

But does firing him mid-season do anything for your program?  Who off his bumble-fuck of a staff do you appoint as the interim coach?

I think they ride it out.

They will because they have no money and we’re no longer paying part of his salary. 

Im calling my shot: he gets fired and then Urban gets the old team back together at USC..

37 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Remember when Charlie defenders would explain away our ST woes by suggesting that they had to spend so much time practicing the other 2 phases of the game that they might not be able to practice special teams? Perhaps they were right, and this would just a good opp for him to get his team some ST practice since they don’t do it in, you know, practice?

I remember a lot of stupid shit the Charlie apologists explained away for far too long into his career at Texas.  Buncha racists on TOS the last couple years.

We actually paid the search firm $276,000 to recommend him to us. How do I get that gig?
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/04/03/texas-coach-search-outside-consultants/7258411/

This is what enrages me. The people responsible for the football program (Patterson) were so clueless that they relied on an effing search firm AND a committee. That is the absolute stupidest way possible to find a coach. And that dipshit AD waltzed off to yet another multi-million dollar pay day. There is no justice.
  • Like 1

IIRC people claimed USF coulda fired him back in December, and only paid out something like $400K, on accounta that's all their part of his salary was - we were paying the other four and a half megabux and the new, no-Texas part hadn't kicked in yet... there was speculation that they might pull the trigger, but they didn't. Maybe the hidden verbiage in the contract said otherwise and that's why they kept him, but... 

36 minutes ago, Par4 said:

We actually paid the search firm $276,000 to recommend him to us. How do I get that gig?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/04/03/texas-coach-search-outside-consultants/7258411/

I suspect Patterson sent Korn Ferry the following direction: "Vet Shaw, Franklin, and Strong.  That's the group we want to consider."

Shaw: entrenched at Stanford; was not coming.
Franklin: Huge liability.  Vandy player rape problems and pressuring injured players to play.
Strong: May have screwed booster's wife (or wives); otherwise no real liabilities.

No IQ test or football vetting occurred.  A rewatch of his signature victory against UF would have shown shitty special teams, poor clock management, and poor situational decision making.   

This is 100% on Patterson and whoever gave him so much control/authority.

i think we were pretty much screwed whoever we hired that year. it was a bad year to be hiring a coach. they all sucked. i think we were fortunate to get the worst of the bunch, who we could get rid of the quickest, so we could hire Herman. it would have really sucked to hire someone that came in here and made us just good enough where we had to keep him a couple more years.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, boilerhorn said:

I suspect Patterson sent Korn Ferry the following direction: "Vet Shaw, Franklin, and Strong.  That's the group we want to consider."

Shaw: entrenched at Stanford; was not coming.
Franklin: Huge liability.  Vandy player rape problems and pressuring injured players to play.
Strong: May have screwed booster's wife (or wives); otherwise no real liabilities.

No IQ test or football vetting occurred.  A rewatch of his signature victory against UF would have shown shitty special teams, poor clock management, and poor situational decision making.   

This is 100% on Patterson and whoever gave him so much control/authority.

So, mostly a background check for character issues or items hidden away in the closet. We certainly got no value out of his potential of success on the field. Who knows what the real criteria we handed off, but I would just as soon figure that out in house from now on. Korn Ferry can concentrate on their development golf tour. 

If there was ever a time for whynotboth.gif, this is it.

If you think this board isn't filled with hate towards Briles and Paterno, you're really, really not paying attention. At all. This board hates those two so much that we also despise entire fanbases and cities by association.

Charlie ruined several years of UT football for all of us. He set the program back years and then played the victim on his way out. He was quantifiably the worst coach we've ever had yet he did nothing to quell the media story that he was being ousted due to unsupportive boosters (with an obvious undertone about good ole boy Texas mixed in) on his way out.

If you're confused about our level of distain for Briles or Paterno, or don't understand that a UT football message board would still have pretty damn harsh feelings towards Strong given all of the above, you might find hornfans a bit more your speed.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

I remember a lot of stupid shit the Charlie apologists explained away for far too long into his career at Texas.  Buncha racists on TOS the last couple years.

Most of the Charlie apologists that shit talked us firing him did so only because the color of his skin.  They were the racists.  

• Like 2

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

I’m wondering if the game hasn’t passed him by even as a coordinator.  Like it did Mike Stoops.  

That was the most disappointing thing to me about Strong at Texas - you figured the defense would at least always be good while he was there, and he could outsource the offense to bright young offensive minds (kinda like Stoops did at OU for years). But then the defenses got progressively worse the longer he was in Austin. 

So yeah, I'm not sure he'd be a great coordinator at this point.  

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Jimbo Fisher was a leading candidate until the Korn Ferry people came back with some glaring shit in his background that UT could not hold its nose over. 

I didn’t know that.  My understanding is that Korn Ferry’s role is a background check for skeletons in the closet.  They aren’t out there evaluating whether the candidates are good football coaches.  They are doing due diligence and interviewing people who know the coach.