So...about Charlie Strong at USF...

horn_of_the_morning

18 hours ago, Hozz said:

Mackovic was one smug bastard.

That Rice loss was terrible.  Lots of shit happened in/around that game that make it unforgettable for me.  First, it was a Sunday night game in the middle of the season for some reason so it was basically all alone in primetime on ESPN as there was no Sunday night NFL game then. .

That was the MLB strike year, they were supposed to broadcast a World Series game that night but of course, there was no World Series.  They asked us if we'd play Sunday night and we agreed.

So basically, it's all the fault of MLB and their stupid strike.  I will forever hate MLB because of that.  Also, because MLB sucks.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

That's a very good comparison. Mackovic and Riley are both guys who, if you give them 35 seconds to think about it, can scheme "the perfect play" for whatever tendency they've noticed... but can't think long term for the life of them.

14 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I don't buy anyone, actually. And results only speak to results, not background. Give a tactician a head start, and in the short term, he'd damn well better win. Wait a couple more seasons and you'll see what I mean.

This is actually a very interesting  dynamic that we will see how it plays out over the next few years. OU is 2 for 2 in the playoffs with players that Lincoln Riley didn't necessarily acquire and it isn't clear whether he will be able to sustain that level of success. Looking at OU's recruiting class that signed in December, he still hasn't figured it out as all of the talent is heavily weighted to offense and it isnt clear what they will do on defense. Perhaps Grinch is the missing piece but that will take a couple of years to play out. What happens when OU doesn't have everything go its way as it has the past couple of years? Be interesting to see if Riley is more tactician or strategist. Same with Herman fwiw, but I do see a bit more strategery in how Texas' program is being built. Both programs will be good but who can get to Clemson/Alabama level.

6 hours ago, South Austin said:

Hey, ‘member that game against NC State in 1999 when Mack Brown’s Longhorns allowed 32 blocked punts?

And uni-nut rode his tricycle out to deliever game ball, mine and several others had our vehicles broken in off some street behind Disch- Falk. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Chuck just lost his OC to McNeese State and Kerwin Bell is set to take his place. Hard to imagine you would go from head coach of the D2 national champion to OC of USF if you didn't get the feeling that the HC of your new team may not be there in 2020.

I think B will fix the offense there and he is doing this to get a better HC job. He always had great offenses at D2 (I know it's D2 but moved the ball well). For a very long time Bell didn't want to take OC jobs at D1 schools but he finally saw the $$$$.

21 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Prolly a bit of both - bigger bucks and a coach on a hot seat. If you save the HC's ass, plus rep for you and a better OC job next; if you don't but it's on the D, you could be next in line of HC. Win-win for Bell.

And Bell has the luxury of knowing he can run any offense, he can call any play, he can recruit anyone he wants and Coach Potato will stand there, looking around going, "which way did they go? which way did they go?"

8 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I bet the interview was awesome.

Strong: "What kinda offense you proposing to run?"

Bell: "Wouldn't you like to know?"

Strong: "Ooh, a man of mystery, I'm intrigued. Don't you think you oughta tell me?"

Bell: "You have to hire me to find out"

Strong: "SOLD!"

This was my inaugural bowl game as a student.  And to think my inaugural football game as a student was a win over Aubburbn where we put Bo on the bench.  And after beating PSU were ranked No. 1.

I had no idea what I was in for.

Yes. Here’s all of our sentiment from that era.

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2019/4/5/18288133/south-florida-football-2019-preview-schedule-roster

This is a huge season for Strong and USF. Strong has produced a mostly mediocre product for most of the last half-decade, with the offense and defense rising and falling opposite each other, but everything fell apart late last year. Barnett’s and Sawtelle’s injuries were certainly a large part of that, but the Bulls need a strong response.

The beginning and end of the season will define things. USF starts by hosting Wisconsin and finishes with a loaded November slate: Temple, Cincinnati, and Memphis at home, then UCF on the road.

In between, there should be plenty of wins for a team projected 71st in S&P+. But USF is a projected underdog in four of those five definitive games and a narrow favorite in the fifth.

S&P+ projects a 7-5 season, which wouldn’t be fireable but wouldn’t reinforce any sort of faith in Strong’s program, especially if UCF rolls to another division title. The Bell hire is a potential game-changer, and the secondary could be super exciting if it stays healthy. But USF and Strong could both use huge years, and there are enough obstacles in place to doubt that happens.

He’s either clueless or just doesn’t give a fuck... probably both actually.  They have had the same issues over there.  Shitty special teams, constant penalties, playing down to competition.  If the offense is clicking, the defense isn’t.  If the defense is clicking, the offense isn’t.  He’s really not a good coach and Teddy Bridgewater made him a fuck ton of money.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, victory88 said:

He’s either clueless or just doesn’t give a fuck... probably both actually.  They have had the same issues over there.  Shitty special teams, constant penalties, playing down to competition.  If the offense is clicking, the defense isn’t.  If the defense is clicking, the offense isn’t.  He’s really not a good coach and Teddy Bridgewater made him a fuck ton of money.  

Finishing with Temple/Cincy/Memphis/UCF is probably going to be the stake in the heart for his head coaching career.

Ha I remember all the butt hurt when we hired him "R-red McCombs is just r-racist guys. Just watch..no more blowouts like Mack we're gonna be in every game!"

We proceeded to get BOTH our scoreboard and assholes blown out even worse than Mack. Fuck him.

Take it for what you will, I heard that Red was pissed because he wanted some input ( I think he was championing Gruden) and Patterson didn't even return his calls. I'm not saying Red's $$$ gave him the right to make the hire, but Del Conte sure as hell would have returned the call! I hate Patterson and everything he did on a par with my OU hate.

Edit: I apologize, that rant had nothing to do with Strong or his overwhelming ineptitude.

Edited by 927 E. 41st
Off Topic
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

Take it for what you will, I heard that Red was pissed because he wanted some input ( I think he was championing Gruden) and Patterson didn't even return his calls. I'm not saying Red's $$$ gave him the right to make the hire, but Del Conte sure as hell would have returned the call! I hate Patterson and everything he did on a par with my OU hate.

Edit: I apologize, that rant had nothing to do with Strong or his overwhelming ineptitude.

Patterson should have taken the call for politeness' sake. Red should have read the room in terms of not essentially calling our first black head coach coming off a Sugar Bowl win an idiot (no matter how truthful it turned out).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

Patterson should have taken the call for politeness' sake. Red should have read the room in terms of not essentially calling our first black head coach coming off a Sugar Bowl win an idiot (no matter how truthful it turned out).

He should've said:
"I don't have any doubt that Charlie is a fine coach. I think he would make a great position coach, maybe a coordinator. And I ain't saying that just because he's black, neither."

Edited by Disco Missile
  • Like 1