So...about Charlie Strong at USF...

horn_of_the_morning

Ah, Mackovic. Proof that genius is not important.

Seriously, just in terms of X's and O's, he was one impressive motherfucker. But he took all-world talent and turned them into honorable mentions. 

I love the fact that Herman is mensa. But not nearly as much as I love the fact that his objective is to be the hardest fucking hitting team in all of college football.

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Ah, Mackovic. Proof that genius is not important.

Seriously, just in terms of X's and O's, he was one impressive motherfucker.

At the same time, he always wanted to go against the grain and prove just how smart he was. Again, the aforementioned insistence on passing against Baylor in 1997 when Ricky was unstoppable. And how many times did we run a draw play on 3rd and 10+? It was as predictable as Greg Davis's FB dive on 2nd and 1.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

Sometimes we forget that Mackovic had us on a decent three-year run that gave us optimism for the future.  And with his success (in that limited sense of the term), if he had been even halfway likeable he might have survived the 1997 season.  But in addition to being a "carpet-bagging, interloping elitist wine snob" (to borrow ImissWallyPryor's term), the way he causally dismissed the UCLA embarrassment (something like "The fans lived with the win over Nebraska, they'll learn to live with this") only made his firing after a 5-7 disaster of a season that much easier. 

And I mean "likeable" in the public persona sense of the word.  I actually met him once in Bellmont Hall during my senior year (1995-1996).  I was looking at the team photo waiting to head to class, and Mackovic comes up next to me and pats my shoulder and just starts chatting, making jokes about some of the players (I distinctly recall him making a crack about Curtis Jackson's eyes being closed).  He actually seemed like a really nice guy on a one-to-one basis.  But his stiff Midwestern personality just wasn't going to fit long term, not without a high level of sustained success.

He was probably hoping you would introduce him to your Mom, so he'd have someplace to stick that stiff Midwestern personality.

Am I doing this right?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, USNALonghorn said:

What did it for me was the combined weight of:

- 41 - 7 Blowout loss to BYU

- Fucked up coin toss against UCLA

- 23- 0  Shutout by KSU

- 48 - 10 Loss to TCU

- Shawn Watson 59yd special against arky

- Keeping Shawn Watson into next season to lose 38-3 at ND

- 50 - 7 Loss to TCU... trailing 30 - 0 at end of Q1

- 24 - 0 Shutout by fucking ISU

- 2015 defense being historically inept

- 3 blocked XPs against OSU

- 2016 secondary being horrific

- Kansas

- Being consistently outcoached and outplayed every damn week for 3 straight seasons (2015 win over OU was all Norvell)

At what point is a new head coach responsible for the results on the field?

You left out the Cal game.  

On 1/15/2019 at 10:07 AM, SwanderedTalent said:

fuck, just watch the first 30 seconds of this

This was my inaugural bowl game as a student.  And to think my inaugural football game as a student was a win over Aubburbn where we put Bo on the bench.  And after beating PSU were ranked No. 1.

I had no idea what I was in for.

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

This was my inaugural bowl game as a student.  And to think my inaugural football game as a student was a win over Aubburbn where we put Bo on the bench.  And after beating PSU were ranked No. 1.

1984 was an epic, epic collapse. There aren't many programs that can divide their seasons into two halves so discrete from one another. Half of our season was going 6-0-1, with the wins you mentioned over Auburn in Austin, Penn State @ East Rutherford, tying OU, and beating Arkansas and SMU. Other than the offense sputtering badly in wins 5 and 6, there was no logical reason to anticipate the "other half" of the season, a 1-4-1 finish including a 25-pt loss to A&M in Austin and then the epic lay-down/payback by the players to Akers in the Freedom Bowl.

From the point at which we were 6-0-1-- first week of November, 1984-- we went 14-14-1 the rest of Akers' tenure, then 16-18 in McWilliams' first three years. And it's not like it got a lot better quickly-- 1990 was 10-2, and then over the next three years we were 16-16-1. So for those of you too young to have lived it, after we beat Tech on 11/3/84 and moved to #3 in the polls, we proceeded to go 56-50-2. I could count up the number of weeks we were ranked over those nine plus seasons, but no way man. Too sadmake.

• Like 4

I don't know, guys. He seemed nice. Just sucked here. I wish him nothing but the best. He sucked ass. He is the worst coach in program history. He's getting exposed again at South Florida. I don't know, guys. He seemed nice. Just sucked here. I wish him nothing but the best. He sucked ass. He is the worst coach in program history. He's getting exposed again at South Florida. I don't know, guys. He seemed nice. Just sucked here. I wish him nothing but the best. He sucked ass. He is the worst coach in program history. He's getting exposed again at South Florida. I don't know, guys. He seemed nice. Just sucked here. I wish him nothing but the best. He sucked ass. He is the worst coach in program history. He's getting exposed again at South Florida. I don't know, guys. He seemed nice. Just sucked here. I wish him nothing but the best. He sucked ass. He is the worst coach in program history. He's getting exposed again at South Florida. I don't know, guys. He seemed nice. Just sucked here. I wish him nothing but the best. He sucked ass. He is the worst coach in program history. He's getting exposed again at South Florida. I don't know, guys. He seemed nice. Just sucked here. I wish him nothing but the best. He sucked ass. He is the worst coach in program history. He's getting exposed again at South Florida. I don't know, guys. He seemed nice. Just sucked here. I wish him nothing but the best. He sucked ass. He is the worst coach in program history. He's getting exposed again at South Florida. I don't know, guys. He seemed nice. Just sucked here. I wish him nothing but the best. He sucked ass. He is the worst coach in program history. He's getting exposed again at South Florida. I don't know, guys. He seemed nice. Just sucked here. I wish him nothing but the best. He sucked ass. He is the worst coach in program history. He's getting exposed again at South Florida. I don't know, guys. He seemed nice. Just sucked here. I wish him nothing but the best. He sucked ass. He is the worst coach in program history. He's getting exposed again at South Florida. I don't know, guys. He seemed nice. Just sucked here. I wish him nothing but the best. He sucked ass. He is the worst coach in program history. He's getting exposed again at South Florida. I don't know, guys. He seemed nice. Just sucked here. I wish him nothing but the best. He sucked ass. He is the worst coach in program history. He's getting exposed again at South Florida. I don't know, guys. He seemed nice. Just sucked here. I wish him nothing but the best. He sucked ass. He is the worst coach in program history. He's getting exposed again at South Florida. I don't know, guys. He seemed nice. Just sucked here. I wish him nothing but the best. He sucked ass. He is the worst coach in program history. He's getting exposed again at South Florida. I don't know, guys. He seemed nice. Just sucked here. I wish him nothing but the best. He sucked ass. He is the worst coach in program history. He's getting exposed again at South Florida. I don't know, guys. He seemed nice. Just sucked here. I wish him nothing but the best. He sucked ass. He is the worst coach in program history. He's getting exposed again at South Florida. I don't know, guys. He seemed nice. Just sucked here. I wish him nothing but the best. He sucked ass. He is the worst coach in program history. He's getting exposed again at South Florida. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, randygilman said:

I don't know, guys. He seemed nice. Just sucked here. I wish him nothing but the best. He sucked ass. He is the worst coach in program history. He's getting exposed again at South Florida. I don't know, guys. He seemed nice. Just sucked here. I wish him nothing but the best. He sucked ass. He is the worst coach in program history. He's getting exposed again at South Florida. I don't know, guys. He seemed nice. Just sucked here. I wish him nothing but the best. He sucked ass. He is the worst coach in program history. He's getting exposed again at South Florida. I don't know, guys. He seemed nice. Just sucked here. I wish him nothing but the best. He sucked ass. He is the worst coach in program history. He's getting exposed again at South Florida. I don't know, guys. He seemed nice. Just sucked here. I wish him nothing but the best. He sucked ass. He is the worst coach in program history. He's getting exposed again at South Florida. I don't know, guys. He seemed nice. Just sucked here. I wish him nothing but the best. He sucked ass. He is the worst coach in program history. He's getting exposed again at South Florida. I don't know, guys. He seemed nice. Just sucked here. I wish him nothing but the best. He sucked ass. He is the worst coach in program history. He's getting exposed again at South Florida. I don't know, guys. He seemed nice. Just sucked here. I wish him nothing but the best. He sucked ass. He is the worst coach in program history. He's getting exposed again at South Florida. I don't know, guys. He seemed nice. Just sucked here. I wish him nothing but the best. He sucked ass. He is the worst coach in program history. He's getting exposed again at South Florida. I don't know, guys. He seemed nice. Just sucked here. I wish him nothing but the best. He sucked ass. He is the worst coach in program history. He's getting exposed again at South Florida. I don't know, guys. He seemed nice. Just sucked here. I wish him nothing but the best. He sucked ass. He is the worst coach in program history. He's getting exposed again at South Florida. I don't know, guys. He seemed nice. Just sucked here. I wish him nothing but the best. He sucked ass. He is the worst coach in program history. He's getting exposed again at South Florida. I don't know, guys. He seemed nice. Just sucked here. I wish him nothing but the best. He sucked ass. He is the worst coach in program history. He's getting exposed again at South Florida. I don't know, guys. He seemed nice. Just sucked here. I wish him nothing but the best. He sucked ass. He is the worst coach in program history. He's getting exposed again at South Florida. I don't know, guys. He seemed nice. Just sucked here. I wish him nothing but the best. He sucked ass. He is the worst coach in program history. He's getting exposed again at South Florida. I don't know, guys. He seemed nice. Just sucked here. I wish him nothing but the best. He sucked ass. He is the worst coach in program history. He's getting exposed again at South Florida. I don't know, guys. He seemed nice. Just sucked here. I wish him nothing but the best. He sucked ass. He is the worst coach in program history. He's getting exposed again at South Florida. I don't know, guys. He seemed nice. Just sucked here. I wish him nothing but the best. He sucked ass. He is the worst coach in program history. He's getting exposed again at South Florida. 

You look at this thread and it's just all about repeating the same five things about Charlie Strong over and over again.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, randygilman said:

what are you trying to say

Dear Lord, I had forgotten about that. How about the time they made him show up to flip pancakes for fans/donors at some gathering. By then it was too late, everybody had formed their opinion of him and it usually wasn't good. His pride in his wine cellar would have been fine if he had ANY people skills. Instead, it just made him look like that much more of a snob.
Two quick stories, at his introductory, " meet the coach" gathering at one of the hotels around 35 and 290 he seemed irritated to have to answer questions from the (mostly donor) crowd. Like Charlie, I hoped he would do well but as we left the building I just had a really bad feeling.
Years later, a top 2% donor who is a really great guy but just couldn't stand Mackovic is at an away game. We are losing. and Mackovic pulls off his headset and goes back to a bench to look (stare) at his playbook. Big donor has a big voice and yells out in a sarcastic tone "OH JOHN,  OH JOHN... WHAT KIND OF WINE GOES WITH AN ASS WHIPPING?!" Mackovick actually tried to get the guy thrown out. I had a feeling we would have a new coach soon.

Reminds me of the Pitt game in Austin at 140 degrees. I had good seats down low on the west side. As we fumble fucked along some guy yells out, "hey Mackovic we're sick of this shit". He had to hear because every player turned around to the stands to see who said it.

Seeking shelter from the heat before the game I saw the Pitt team doing the same. Stretching underneath the west side to avoid the sun.
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, randygilman said:

24 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

Your mom seemed nice.

Just sucked me here. 

39 minutes ago, randygilman said:

This is such an accurate summation of this thread Can we get a mod to just delete every single post in this thread besides this one? 

59 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

Reminds me of the Pitt game in Austin at 140 degrees.
I had good seats down low on the west side.
As we fumble fucked along some guy yells out, "hey Mackovic we're sick of this shit".
He had to hear because every player turned around to the stands to see who said it.

Seeking shelter from the heat before the game I saw the Pitt team doing the same.
Stretching underneath the west side to avoid the sun.

I'm not sure you intended this, but it somehow reads like really nice poetry. 

IMG-2780.png

2 hours ago, DaysOff said:

Reminds me of the Pitt game in Austin at 140 degrees. I had good seats down low on the west side. As we fumble fucked along some guy yells out, "hey Mackovic we're sick of this shit". He had to hear because every player turned around to the stands to see who said it.

Seeking shelter from the heat before the game I saw the Pitt team doing the same. Stretching underneath the west side to avoid the sun.

If I recall, didn't we get to be sick of that shit for another 2-3 years after that game?

I truly thought when he left that we would likely never have a coach that was that bad/poor fit again in my life... wrongo! We even ended up with an A.D. that was a bigger P.O.S.!

1 minute ago, Liquor and Poker said:

That's right.  I had forgotten about that - he seemed like a pretty good guy, too.

Mackovic the elder wasn't all that awful a guy, he was just an inflexible head coach who was way too fucking aloof. He had an NFL personality, and was predestined for mediocrity as a college football coach. We never should have hired him.

Still light years better than Charlie Strong, though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Mackovic the elder wasn't all that awful a guy, he was just an inflexible head coach who was way too fucking aloof. He had an NFL personality, and was predestined for mediocrity as a college football coach. We never should have hired him.

Still light years better than Charlie Strong, though.

Agreed on Charlie.  IMHO Mackovic was a better recruiter and talent evaluator than Mack Brown - on both sides of the ball.   He was just a terrible manager and big-picture decision maker.

Personally I never got past him blaming the trifecta of (1) a loss to Rice on national TV, (2)a blowout loss to a Tech team with a losing record, and (3) getting shellacked by aggy in Austin on a half-season long "fog"  due to a hit by Brackens (during our successful one-game Heisman campaign for Rashaan Salaam, no less).  Yet he waited until the end of the season to mention it, and somehow it didn't affect him in press conferences or after the OU win. 

That was just "the dog ate my homework"-level bullshit. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

And I was just about to start my first job after college... along side an Iowa grad who didn’t seem to realize that their Freedom Bowl victory over Texas was their high water mark for that century.

1 hour ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Agreed on Charlie.  IMHO Mackovic was a better recruiter and talent evaluator than Mack Brown - on both sides of the ball.   He was just a terrible manager and big-picture decision maker.

I don't know about "better recruiter' than Mack, though Mackovic probably was underrated in that regard. I know his recruiting game fell off toward the end, but for the bulk of Mack's tenure, it would have been really difficult to be better than he was. There was a stretch there in which Texas didn't look up to anyone in the country in terms of roster talent, and there was also a stretch in which Texas produced more active NFL players than anyone else. 

It certainly wasn't the case for Mack's entire tenure, but the talent he brought in from '99 - '05 was tough to match. After that, it seems like the "talent evaluation" part began to break down a little more each year, for whatever reason. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski

I ran into a guy from Louisville at the WWII Museum in New Orleans. He asked me what I thought of Chuckles, and I started to go off. I immediately sensed that he was thinking “Dis gonna be good,” so I tried to tap the brakes. He baited me with the line that Charlie left a loaded Texas for Herman, and I admit...I nibbled.

I suspect he spent the day at the museum trolling Texas fans. He probably wasn’t even from Louisville.   

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

8 hours ago, South Austin said:

He actually seemed like a really nice guy on a one-to-one basis.  But his stiff Midwestern personality just wasn't going to fit long term, not without a high level of sustained success.

Your mom liked his Midwestern stiffy and thought it fit just fine (despite her normal laxity). The success was indeed sustained, albeit just for an hour or three.

Edited by Spawn of Cthulhu
beaten to the punch, beaten to South Austin's mom, too

31 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I don't know about "better recruiter' than Mack, though Mackovic probably was underrated in that regard. I know his recruiting game fell off toward the end, but for the bulk of Mack's tenure, it would have been really difficult to be better than he was. There was a stretch there in which Texas didn't look up to anyone in the country in terms of roster talent, and there was also a stretch in which Texas produced more active NFL players than anyone else. 

It certainly wasn't the case for Mack's entire tenure, but the talent he brought in from '99 - '05 was tough to match. After that, it seems like the "talent evaluation" part began to break down a little more each year, for whatever reason. 

It wouldn’t be harder for Mack to have recruited better at all. Even when he was at his best.  He was obsessed with making 28 offers and getting 25 acceptances.  He rarely recruited out of state.  He rarely recruited JUCOs.  After 2002 he would ignore elite recruits who wanted to sign late.  He wanted to have 95 percent of the class done 9 months before signing day.  

He recruited well.  But has he not been a pussy and been more strategic, he could have been signing classes like Saban has been the last few years.  The ones that don’t have Dustin Miskch, Clint Haney, Brock Fitzhenry, Paden Kelly, Taylor Doyle, Jared Gooch, Mark Buchanan, etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

It wouldn’t be harder for Mack to have recruited better at all. Even when he was at his best.  He was obsessed with making 28 offers and getting 25 acceptances.  He rarely recruited out of state.  He rarely recruited JUCOs.  After 2002 he would ignore elite recruits who wanted to sign late.  He wanted to have 95 percent of the class done 9 months before signing day.  

He recruited well.  But has he not been a pussy and been more strategic, he could have been signing classes like Saban has been the last few years.  The ones that don’t have Dustin Miskch, Clint Haney, Brock Fitzhenry, Paden Kelly, Taylor Doyle, Jared Gooch, Mark Buchanan, etc. 

Fair enough. But I don't think Mackovic was a better recruiter. 

9 hours ago, DaysOff said:

I think I read about this in English class once. The End of Something?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

The reason is that he wasn’t evaluating talent. He wouldn’t even watch film of potential recruits when his assistants were begging him to. 

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

1984 was an epic, epic collapse. There aren't many programs that can divide their seasons into two halves so discrete from one another. Half of our season was going 6-0-1, with the wins you mentioned over Auburn in Austin, Penn State @ East Rutherford, tying OU, and beating Arkansas and SMU. Other than the offense sputtering badly in wins 5 and 6, there was no logical reason to anticipate the "other half" of the season, a 1-4-1 finish including a 25-pt loss to A&M in Austin and then the epic lay-down/payback by the players to Akers in the Freedom Bowl.

From the point at which we were 6-0-1-- first week of November, 1984-- we went 14-14-1 the rest of Akers' tenure, then 16-18 in McWilliams' first three years. And it's not like it got a lot better quickly-- 1990 was 10-2, and then over the next three years we were 16-16-1. So for those of you too young to have lived it, after we beat Tech on 11/3/84 and moved to #3 in the polls, we proceeded to go 56-50-2. I could count up the number of weeks we were ranked over those nine plus seasons, but no way man. Too sadmake.

Could you (or anyone) explain the basis of this bolded part? I have never heard this before, and I have some familiarity with the 1984 team. Actually, a lot. I agree about the two halves of the season characterization.

19 hours ago, DaysOff said:

Was that in 1995, when Jason Reeves had a late INT to seal the game (the random shit I remember)?  I don't really remember that game being hot, but pretty sloppy with both QB's throwing multiple picks.