So...about Charlie Strong at USF...

horn_of_the_morning

1 minute ago, Tex Pete said:

Whatever Beck's shortcomings, the offense he oversees/oversaw is light years more productive than anything Shawn Watson has called. Fuck Shawn Watson.

This is just pure hyperbole. Texas' offense in 2018 averaged 412 ypg. That is only 6.98 Watsons of offense, not a light-year's worth. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

I was on the road to a family gathering listening in the car.  I believe that was the first time my son (3 or 4 at the time) heard me say the F word.  As in "What the fuck are we DOING?!"

Experiencing Texas Football creates cherished family memories for so many of us.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Or Mack.  Against Arky 2004.  

56 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Getting shut out with VY and Cedric Benson in the backfield made OU 2004 memorable, too.

For me it was:

• Kansas State, 2003 (W, but me making a post where I called Mack a "cancer" got me the Katy banhammer at HF)
  • Oklahoma, 2003 (just embarrassed)
  • Wazzu, 2003 (infamous story of the OL coming off the field asking McWhorter and Mack what to do to counteract Wazzu's blitzing and they got nothing but shrugged shoulders)
  • Oklahoma, 2004 (liked our fight that day and Greg Robinson's defiance as he left the field but still got shut out with VY and Benson in the backfield)

2015 opener at Notre Dame. That team was so inexcusably unprepared. And then Charlie said something that indicated that he didn't know what sort of offense his team was going to run. I didn't actually believe him (thought it was coach-speak), but after a few more games, I believed him. 

I think I kind of talked myself into thinking there was still a possibility, he had some bad luck ('15 okie state game), etc. Then the 2016 Cal game. We had beaten ND, thought maybe he was getting his shit together. Nope. I was totally done with him at that point. 

In fairness, the '18 Maryland opener was that Herman moment for a lot of us. He redeemed himself though.

Edited by Hank Chinaski

3 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

In fairness, the '18 Maryland opener was that Herman moment for a lot of us. He redeemed himself though.

Guilty. Hell, I was calling for him to resign in the 3rd quarter of the Tulsa game. I am so glad that beautiful son of a bitch proved me wrong.

Ok. Cool
Hook'em.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I was with him all the way up to the Okie State game in year three. Getting blown out and dropping to 2-2 while getting three extra points blocked pretty much burned off all the kool-aid I'd mainlined over the previous two seasons. Even the Cal game the week before didn't do it, but that game...? It was entirely, 100%, no questions asked lost because of things that Strong had supposedly been hired to fix, and it could not have been made plainer that not only had he not fixed them, he'd made them worse.

Still, there's not a single doubt when reviewing the evidence that it took me longer to turn on him than it did for the majority of those of us who expressed opinions. But better late than never, and at least I'm not in the crowd that was holding out hope all the way to his Little Big Horn moment in Lawrence.

4 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Funny, my breaking point was that same game. That was the one that got me. 

4 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Best part was right before halftime we take a delay of game on third down that took us from 37 to 42 yards out.  Our kicker was decent inside 40. And awful outside it.  

We had three fucking timeouts left.  

4 hours ago, Wiler77 said:

I was on the road to a family gathering listening in the car.  I believe that was the first time my son (3 or 4 at the time) heard me say the F word.  As in "What the fuck are we DOING?!"

3 hours ago, Born Burnt said:

That was the exact moment for me. Has that happened in any other college game?

3 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Oh Jesus I forgot about that skull fuckery.

Holy shit, yeah, I'm grateful I didn't break any bones or electronics.

55 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

IIRC what made that even more pathetic is we were coming off a bye week I think?

42 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Yes we had 2 weeks to prepare for that game and Charlie shit the bed.

I had the pleasure of sitting in the stands at T. Boone that day.  Watching those blocked kicks (one returned for 2 pts.) was madness.

What you didn't catch on tv (or radio) was the clown show put on by our DBs.

Believe it or not, the secondary confusion all day was worst of all.  Their body language and constant pointing at each other was clear indication they had no clue.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SaucyJack said:

I had the pleasure of sitting in the stands at T. Boone that day.  Watching those blocked kicks (one returned for 2 pts.) was madness.

Believe it or not, the secondary confusion all day was worst of all.  Their body language and constant pointing at each other was clear indication they had no clue.

I'm glad that Texas has gone from the team doing that (under Strong) to the team that makes opposing defenses do that (under Tom Herman).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SaucyJack said:

I was somewhat surprised Vance Bedford ended up being THAT bad not only as DC, but also as the secondary coach.

For me it was:
  • Kansas State, 2003 (W, but me making a post where I called Mack a "cancer" got me the Katy banhammer at HF)
  • Oklahoma, 2003 (just embarrassed)
  • Wazzu, 2003 (infamous story of the OL coming off the field asking McWhorter and Mack what to do to counteract Wazzu's blitzing and they got nothing but shrugged shoulders)
  • Oklahoma, 2004 (liked our fight that day and Greg Robinson's defiance as he left the field but still got shut out with VY and Benson in the backfield)

84f7606879a5c73ae89d4a15c4c40534.gif
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I was with him all the way up to the Okie State game in year three. 

I was anti-Strong beginning with the loss at TCU in year 2, but I was "FUCKING FIRE HIM AND THROW HIS DAMN FAMILY DOWN A WELL" after the blocked XPs.

I think we all have some level of PTSD, like that TCU loss, where we got down 30-0 in the first motherfucking quarter, gets overlooked amongst his litany of sins. That is worse than losing to Kansas. I am not sure in 130 years of football if we've ever been outscored by more than 4 TDs in one quarter, not even in the Mack Brown TX-OU games. I am quite sure we've lost to teams as bad or even worse than Kansas. 

He's one of the worst coaches a blueblood CFB program has hired in CFB's modern era. I doubt I can come up with ten worse. It's the worst mistake UT football has made in most of our lifetimes, if not ever.

It should at least make people feel better to know that it would be hard to duplicate that level of error even if we tried.

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Like 1

I did a wee bit of digging. There's one other quarter as bad as the 2015 TCU game in our history (worse, actually, by one point) going back to 1960. The opponent wasn't OU believe it or not, nor was it Miami (91 Cotton Bowl), Houston (87-89), UCLA (97), or Baylor (thinking of the 1989 game-- they did ring us up 26-0 in the 3rd quarter of that one).

UCLA game at Jerry World was when I knew he wasn't the guy.   I was there with very casual fans and they even realized the poor clock management at the end of that game.  That was his first year, but I could just see how poorly managed everything was.  Bad timeouts, constant 3 and outs.  Knocked Hundley out of the game then get beat up by his back up.  It was the most disappointing Texas game I've ever attended outside of the Cal extra point miss.

13 minutes ago, Ghost of Stevie Ray said:

UCLA game at Jerry World was when I knew he wasn't the guy.   I was there with very casual fans and they even realized the poor clock management at the end of that game.  That was his first year, but I could just see how poorly managed everything was.  Bad timeouts, constant 3 and outs.  Knocked Hundley out of the game then get beat up by his back up.  It was the most disappointing Texas game I've ever attended outside of the Cal extra point miss.

Yeah I agree. I think it was his 2nd game to coach for us iirc.  UCLA had a lot if hype coming in , we played like ass most of the game, yet somehow we’re in it late and having knocked out the starter, it felt like a win, even considering we gave up a possession with the coin toss snafu. We go up late, get the ball back and bam , can’t get a first down, 3 and out and the backup beats us deep with a wheel route, missed tackles and game over 

I got negged to oblivion on the shag, rung up and banned for calling out Strongs deficiencies starting very early. 

I don’t necessarily wish him Ill will but he was so bad. Even his demeanor , body language , you could see it in his eyes especially when he would find the camera during a game, you just knew he was so in over his head. I used to comment to my game watching buddies to wait for him to find the camera. 

28 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I did a wee bit of digging. There's one other quarter as bad as the 2015 TCU game in our history (worse, actually, by one point) going back to 1960. The opponent wasn't OU believe it or not, nor was it Miami (91 Cotton Bowl), Houston (87-89), UCLA (97), or Baylor (thinking of the 1989 game-- they did ring us up 26-0 in the 3rd quarter of that one).

The Freedom Bowl disaster against Iowa.

29 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

giphy.gif

28 minutes ago, Ghost of Stevie Ray said:

12 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Yeah I agree. I think it was his 2nd game to coach for us iirc.  UCLA had a lot if hype coming in , we played like ass most of the game, yet somehow we’re in it late and having knocked out the starter, it felt like a win, even considering we gave up a possession with the coin toss snafu. We go up late, get the ball back and bam , can’t get a first down, 3 and out and the backup beats us deep with a wheel route, missed tackles and game over  

Wasn't that Neuweasel's kid?

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

fuck, just watch the first 30 seconds of this

I see lower tier bowl games were just as well attended back in the 1980s as they are today.

Actually I cannot imagine Texas playing in even a shitty bowl game with such a tiny crowd today. 

As for Chuck I remember somebody on the Shag posted a very well researched post showing how you can basically tell how a coach's regime is going to go after year 2. That sure turned out to be accurate in Strong's case. I am not sure what to think about Herman in that context...is every year going to be us playing one score better than every team we play?

29 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

As for Chuck I remember somebody on the Shag posted a very well researched post showing how you can basically tell how a coach's regime is going to go after year 2. That sure turned out to be accurate in Strong's case. I am not sure what to think about Herman in that context...is every year going to be us playing one score better than every team we play?

We just beat OU, played for the Big 12 championship, and won the fucking Sugar Bowl. Don't do this.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Tex Pete said:

We just beat OU, played for the Big 12 championship, and won the fucking Sugar Bowl. Don't do this.

Correct.  5 wins to 10 wins in 2 seasons.  Getting blown out by unranked teams to 2 victories over elite programs.  No bowl to beating #5 in the Sugar Bowl. 

I'm sure that was the PTSD talking.

5 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Correct.  5 wins to 10 wins in 2 seasons.  Getting blown out by unranked teams to 2 victories over elite programs.  No bowl to beating #5 in the Sugar Bowl. 

I'm sure that was the PTSD talking.

Just being thoughtful about the future, obviously I have no complaints about last season except for cursing the fact that the OU defense played their best game against us in the title game. Herman does have a history of playing down to the level of our competition and we saw that this season, can we overcome that moving forward? I mean it is a better problem to have than sucking shit against everybody or blowing out the scrubs only to lay down for the elite teams.

10 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Just being thoughtful about the future, obviously I have no complaints about last season except for cursing the fact that the OU defense played their best game against us in the title game. Herman does have a history of playing down to the level of our competition and we saw that this season, can we overcome that moving forward? I mean it is a better problem to have than sucking shit against everybody or blowing out the scrubs only to lay down for the elite teams. 

Herman's UH teams often blew out the weak sisters on their schedule.  I don't see it as a constant of his coaching career.