So...about Charlie Strong at USF...

horn_of_the_morning

21 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

There are plenty of reasons to look back on the Strong tenure as a complete piece of shit, and it was, but how much of that can be laid at Mack's feet?

He left the program in a fucking shambles. No offensive line. A locker room full of head cases, none of whom panned out after Charlie kicked them off the team. Five or six guys with NFL talent on D who were only there for one year under Strong and nothing on O. Then Ash goes down -- forever-- in Charlie's first or second game and there is no QB for the next two years. Yeah, everybody on here was saying "why can't he just go get a grad transfer," and he tried, but Max Wittek couldn't qualify and ended up sucking anyway. 

At any rate, had Ash not gone down, we would have been a bowl team his first two years, but Mack was in the habit of not having viable QB-2s after the Simms-Applewhite feud. So Ash goes down and Charlie was fucked until he got Buechele, who looked like the real deal until he got plugged in the right rib cage in one of the Cal games. He hasn't been the same since. And you can't pin Heard on Strong, either -- he was another Mack recruit.

I believe it's about personnel more than coaching. Royal left Akers with a shit-ton of talent, including a Heisman winner and a bunch of guys who went on to long NFL careers. Akers left Mackovic with mostly a bunch of spares. Mackovic left Mack with another Heisman winner and a bunch of guys who went on to long NFL careers. What did Mack leave Strong with? 

And ask yourself this: on a personnel basis, was the program that Tom Herman inherited better or worse than the one Charlie Strong inherited? 

It was worse than what Herman inherited for sure (though Strong got some strong senior defenders), but it was obvious that we weren't trending up with Strong. You can see teams steadily improving under coaches that have a chance to make it. We didn't see that growth by year 3, so it's very doubtful anything would've changed.

Edited by Bevo14

10 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

Are these jokes?  Well spoken?  Guy was a mumbling fool who had a very limited vocabulary and looked at the floor more than the person(s) he was addressing. 

Respectful?  The guy threw the race card on us as he was about to get fired after 3 losing seasons they included losses at Iowa state and Kansas. 

He was neither well spoken nor respectful. 

cae.jpg

23 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

There are plenty of reasons to look back on the Strong tenure as a complete piece of shit, and it was, but how much of that can be laid at Mack's feet?

He left the program in a fucking shambles. No offensive line. A locker room full of head cases, none of whom panned out after Charlie kicked them off the team. Five or six guys with NFL talent on D who were only there for one year under Strong and nothing on O. Then Ash goes down -- forever-- in Charlie's first or second game and there is no QB for the next two years. Yeah, everybody on here was saying "why can't he just go get a grad transfer," and he tried, but Max Wittek couldn't qualify and ended up sucking anyway. 

At any rate, had Ash not gone down, we would have been a bowl team his first two years, but Mack was in the habit of not having viable QB-2s after the Simms-Applewhite feud. So Ash goes down and Charlie was fucked until he got Buechele, who looked like the real deal until he got plugged in the right rib cage in one of the Cal games. He hasn't been the same since. And you can't pin Heard on Strong, either -- he was another Mack recruit.

I believe it's about personnel more than coaching. Royal left Akers with a shit-ton of talent, including a Heisman winner and a bunch of guys who went on to long NFL careers. Akers left Mackovic with mostly a bunch of spares. Mackovic left Mack with another Heisman winner and a bunch of guys who went on to long NFL careers. What did Mack leave Strong with? 

And ask yourself this: on a personnel basis, was the program that Tom Herman inherited better or worse than the one Charlie Strong inherited? 

you didn't read the deposition, did you?

Charlie claimed to deserve the "elitest of elite" position because he was super qualified.

You can't say that then bitch about your predecessor when you can't get things going

Edited by Doc Reeves

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

This kind of equivocating is always comical. Max Wittek couldn’t get into school so Chuckles shouldn’t be blamed for his tenure? Mack Brown, lazy fat fuck that he’d become, handed the keys of an 8-5 team over to Charley Strong. Strong could have done all kinds of shit with the coaching staff and at QB over his first two years and he did nothing. 

Every coach inherits a roster he’d like to immediately turn over. Every one of them. The premise that poor Sweet Chuck was somehow shafted by being given the reins of a blue blood with endless resources and $5million a year is fucking ridiculous. 

• Like 3

We’ve all seen a litany of his failings. Perhaps some of the Strong apologists could enumerate the (1) hiring, (2) staff management, (3) recruiting and transfer acquisition, (4) development, (5) pre-game preparation, and (6) in-game coaching and adjustments which distinguish him as meriting arguably the top job in all of college athletics.

Remember, the standard is not sporadic success at 1 or 2 of these. The standard is TEXAS.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

This kind of equivocating is always comical. Max Wittek couldn’t get into school so Chuckles shouldn’t be blamed for his tenure? Mack Brown, lazy fat fuck that he’d become, handed the keys of an 8-5 team over to Charley Strong. Strong could have done all kinds of shit with the coaching staff and at QB over his first two years and he did nothing. 

Every coach inherits a roster he’d like to immediately turn over. Every one of them. The premise that poor Sweet Chuck was somehow shafted by being given the reins of a blue blood with endless resources and $5million a year is fucking ridiculous. 

They were a shitty 8-5. If you can't say more than one good thing about Strong's tenure, he did turn around recruiting, and more specifically talent evaluation. Mack had lost both of those abilities and it has taken us years to get us out of that ditch. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

They were a shitty 8-5. If you can't say more than one good thing about Strong's tenure, he did turn around recruiting, and more specifically talent evaluation. Mack had lost both of those abilities and it has taken us years to get us out of that ditch. 

While this is true, it is also true that that would be true of just about anybody with a pulse who took over. Charlie recruited about as well to Texas as you could expect any random person who put in the effort could have recruited to Texas. Mack proved, of course, that even a stellar recruiter sucks, even at Texas, if they don't put in the effort. But that doesn't excuse some of Charlie's piss-poor decisions. He turned around the level of effort, mostly, but even there, there are some glaring counterexamples showing he didn't really do it nearly as well as he should have.

4 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I think these are valid points. But Charlie is not cut out for head coaching nonetheless.  I might buy the CTE thing, or heavy reliance on colleagues and superiors in other more successful engagements, or some combination thereof.

Regardless, I am sorry to say that I don't think he's got it. 

Also, I don't find that deposition convincing. Yeah he didn't know his zip code and brain cramped swoopes' first name, but he also rattled off the three backups, including spelling the invisible Vinglareks name,which I just got wrong. 

Edited by TwiceHorn

So, MB is responsible for what's happening in Tampa now? Because CS should still be winning big in Austin, instead of destroying another football program?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Matt Rhule took over a Baylor team that had fired the head coach, gone without a head coach for a year with the entire coaching staff committing a mutiny against the administration, had a shit ton of bad character people to run off, and was being ripped apart by every media outlet every day for two years. The entire inner workings of the football program, from trainers to media staff got overturned. in his second year, he got more wins than Strong did in his second year at Texas. 

In 2016, Kansas won two games. Rhode Island and Texas. Matt Rhule hasn't lost to Kansas. 

I can't believe you're still trotting out that "empty cupboard" stuff. No, Strong didn't walk into a situation like Lincoln Riley did, but he sure didn't walk into a situation like the guys who took over at Baylor, Penn State, or Kansas. He walked into a situation where he had an 8-5 team that had just played for the conference championship, with no scandals to clean up, and one of the top five brands in college football and he drove it into a ditch. 

Now, just two years in at South Florida, poor old Charlie's still trying to clean up that 11-2 bowl winning mess Willie Taggart left him. When's the man going to catch a break? 

If I'm recruiting against Strong, the first thing I'll tell a recruit is, " When you go to the team. bus, look under it and see how many people Charlie's thrown there. Cause it is never going to be Charlie's fault. it's going to be the previous coaching staff and the bad character people on the team. As soon as he clears them out, things will turn around."

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Those of y'all negging me for this post -- please tell me why? What is wrong about what I said. I am not defending Strong's X's and O's or his game management. (Herman has been fairly questionable in those areas himself.) I am just saying that program was in freefall under Mack and somebody had to come along and turn it around. Strong did a fairly good job of cutting out the rot and handed Herman a better program than the one he inherited. 

Shit, I remember I was on the road from Uvalde to Laredo on the morning Strong got blown out by TCU after the Kansas game...Craig Way was talking to D'Onta Foreman's OC from LaMarque about how Mack only wanted to recruit Armanti. So Mack made D'Onta come to Austin and run a 40. If he could bust a 4.5 or under he was in. And of course he did, but Mack at that time was too lazy to leave his office to watch it in person, and he came damn close to losing both of the Foremans because of his lazy, entitled ass. Yeah, we sucked ass in Strong's last year. We lost to Kansas. He had to go after that. But imagine if that team didn't have D'Onta. It would not have been Charlie's fault. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

14 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

Matt Rhule took over a Baylor team that had fired the head coach, gone without a head coach for a year with the entire coaching staff committing a mutiny against the administration, had a shit ton of bad character people to run off, and was being ripped apart by every media outlet every day for two years. The entire inner workings of the football program, from trainers to media staff got overturned. in his second year, he got more wins than Strong did in his second year at Texas. 

In 2016, Kansas won two games. Rhode Island and Texas. Matt Rhule hasn't lost to Kansas. 

I can't believe you're still trotting out that "empty cupboard" stuff. No, Strong didn't walk into a situation like Lincoln Riley did, but he sure didn't walk into a situation like the guys who took over at Baylor, Penn State, or Kansas. He walked into a situation where he had an 8-5 team that had just played for the conference championship, with no scandals to clean up, and one of the top five brands in college football and he drove it into a ditch. 

Now, just two years in at South Florida, poor old Charlie's still trying to clean up that 11-2 bowl winning mess Willie Taggart left him. When's the man going to catch a break? 

If I'm recruiting against Strong, the first thing I'll tell a recruit is, " When you go to the team. bus, look under it and see how many people Charlie's thrown there. Cause it is never going to be Charlie's fault. it's going to be the previous coaching staff and the bad character people on the team. As soon as he clears them out, things will turn around."

Fair points, but I also think it's equally fair to point that the players he has recruited love him. I don't think I've ever seen a team carry a coach around on top of their heads the way the Horns did with Strong after he took down OU. 

And FFS the cupboard was empty. I've analyzed this extensively. After year one of the Strong regime, there was nothing there. The defense performed well in his first year when he had some semblance of experienced talent. They were all gone after year one. Years two and three were disasters on defense because he had spares and underclassmen, some of whom became real talents. 

3 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Fair points, but I also think it's equally fair to point that the players he has recruited love him. I don't think I've ever seen a team carry a coach around on top of their heads the way the Horns did with Strong after he took down OU. 

And FFS the cupboard was empty. I've analyzed this extensively. After year one of the Strong regime, there was nothing there. The defense performed well in his first year when he had some semblance of experienced talent. They were all gone after year one. Years two and three were disasters on defense because he had spares and underclassmen, some of whom became real talents. 

Yes, there wasn't a ton of talent on defense when Strong walked in. How many first year head coaches walk into a perfect situation? The reason there's an opening is because things have to be fixed. 

2 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

Yes, there wasn't a ton of talent on defense when Strong walked in. How many first year head coaches walk into a perfect situation? The reason there's an opening is because things have to be fixed. 

Everything that could have gone wrong for Charlie did go wrong, from losing his starting QB on down. Yeah, his record sucks and those were miserable years, but they would have been just as bad under Mack Brown, Darrell Royal or Vince Lombardi. 

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Yeah, his record sucks and those were miserable years, but they would have been just as bad under Mack Brown, Darrell Royal or Vince Lombardi. 

This is where you lost me.

You say that Strong's Xs and Os and game management were questionable, but then blatantly state that two all-timers and another great coach couldn't have gotten any more out of the 2015 and 2016 squads than Charlie.

Edited by Machinator

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

This is where you lost me.

You say that Strong's Xs and Os and game management were questionable, but then blatantly state that two all-timers and another great coach couldn't have gotten any more out of the 2015 and 2016 squads than Charlie.

With no viable QB or OL, even 1977 Tom Landry would be having problems. Charlie came in, took out the trash, got fired, and left the program better than he found it. Some coaches do that. Mackovic's tenure was mostly horrific but he handed Mack a loaded roster, and Mack took that ball and ran with it until he got fat and sassy. Royal left Akers a loaded squad and Akers almost got us an NC or two but then the game passed him by and he left McWilliams with a bunch of shit. (God, I forgot about the McWilliams regime upthread, even though that is the one that coincided with my years on the 40. Chalk it up to repressed memories of blowouts by the likes of Baylor and UH and Southern Comfort and Coke.) And McWilliams left Mackovick with crap, too. It's a weird job. You can be successful at building a great enterprise only to be fired before it's complete and then somebody else comes in and gets all the credit for the big endeavor you've been building. Or they come in and get the blame if what they were left with all falls apart -- see Willie Taggart at FSU, trying to clean up the mess Jimbo left behind in Tallahassee. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

With no viable QB or OL, even 1977 Tom Landry would be having problems. Charlie came in, took out the trash, got fired, and left the program better than he found it. Some coaches do that. Mackovic's tenure was mostly horrific but he handed Mack a loaded roster, and Mack took that ball and ran with it until he got fat and sassy. Royal left Akers a loaded squad and Akers almost got us an NC or two but then the game passed him by and he left McWilliams with a bunch of shit. (God, I forgot about the McWilliams regime upthread, even though that is the one that coincided with my years on the 40. Chalk it up to repressed memories of blowouts by the likes of Baylor and UH and Southern Comfort and Coke.) And McWilliams left Mackovick with crap, too. It's a weird job. You can be successful at building a great enterprise only to be fired before it's complete and then somebody else comes in and gets all the credit for the big endeavor you've been building. Or they come in and get the blame if what they were left with all falls apart -- see Willie Taggart at FSU, trying to clean up the mess Jimbo left behind in Tallahassee. 

What? Almost all the Strong recruits where busts, CJ, LJ, Poona and Willaims are really the only guys who have grown into elite players and Strong also left gaping holes in our roster

Coach Potato was awful and has been exposed as a fraud and maybe not even a good coordinator due to the ocean of talent at Florida. 

He tried playing the race card on his way out which was some baby back bullshit considering we made his family extremely wealthy for horrendous performance.

If you’re still defending strong at this point, then I’ve got some ocean front property in New Mexico, because you’re gullible for his schtick. 

8 minutes ago, Deej said:

I have a difficult time believing any decent coach would have pulled off three straight losing seasons.

That's the thing--not a single winning season.

And I'm not talking 10 or 11 win seasons here. I'm talking one lousy seven win season. If you can't manage that at a major school in three years, being fired is fairly on the table. 

26 minutes ago, Deej said:

I have a difficult time believing any decent coach would have pulled off three straight losing seasons.

One past their prime, or one who has hit the sauce, might. I'm thinking Howard Schnellenberger types here -- had some decent seasons, and then fell completely to shit. But otherwise, no, you're right, it would take someone who completely sucks to pull that off at a program like Texas.

5 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

One past their prime, or one who has hit the sauce, might. I'm thinking Howard Schnellenberger types here -- had some decent seasons, and then fell completely to shit. But otherwise, no, you're right, it would take someone who completely sucks to pull that off at a program like Texas.

We're about to see the same shit play out at FSU. If you let the offensive line rot for a decade, you've made a mess of your program that can't be fixed in just two or three years. If you have a shit OL and a very thin margin for error in the QB room you've left an even bigger disaster behind. Maybe Strong does have CTE. I know Taggart's resume is better than Strong's was coming in to Austin, and his first season in Tallahassee was even worse than Strong's was here, but to me it's about personnel. Jimbo hauled ass from a pile of crap that only got worse via injuries and head cases. And please don't think I am playing the race card here -- I didn't even know Taggart was black until after he got hired there...But it damn sure looks like he ended up in the same situation Strong wound up in here, and I'll be surprised if he lasts past year three.  

29 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

We're about to see the same shit play out at FSU. If you let the offensive line rot for a decade, you've made a mess of your program that can't be fixed in just two or three years. If you have a shit OL and a very thin margin for error in the QB room you've left an even bigger disaster behind. Maybe Strong does have CTE. I know Taggart's resume is better than Strong's was coming in to Austin, and his first season in Tallahassee was even worse than Strong's was here, but to me it's about personnel. Jimbo hauled ass from a pile of crap that only got worse via injuries and head cases. And please don't think I am playing the race card here -- I didn't even know Taggart was black until after he got hired there...But it damn sure looks like he ended up in the same situation Strong wound up in here, and I'll be surprised if he lasts past year three.  

Taggart doesn't seem to be a very good in-game coach, either.

19 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Taggart doesn't seem to be a very good in-game coach, either.

I had my ups and downs with Mack and GDGD but he was a master in-game, most of the time. (OU rapings and Tech '08 aside.) Especially on special teams -- we vibed on when he would call a fake punt. I could always see it coming, and I think the other team could too, but they almost always worked, because they were executed very, very well. And the kicking game was always extremely solid. I can't remember a missed field goal costing us a game during his whole tenure. (And yes I remember the NC State debacle when about nine punts got blocked, but that's a different story.)

Those of y'all negging me for this post -- please tell me why? What is wrong about what I said. I am not defending Strong's X's and O's or his game management. (Herman has been fairly questionable in those areas himself.) I am just saying that program was in freefall under Mack and somebody had to come along and turn it around. Strong did a fairly good job of cutting out the rot and handed Herman a better program than the one he inherited. 

Shit, I remember I was on the road from Uvalde to Laredo on the morning Strong got blown out by TCU after the Kansas game...Craig Way was talking to D'Onta Foreman's OC from LaMarque about how Mack only wanted to recruit Armanti. So Mack made D'Onta come to Austin and run a 40. If he could bust a 4.5 or under he was in. And of course he did, but Mack at that time was too lazy to leave his office to watch it in person, and he came damn close to losing both of the Foremans because of his lazy, entitled ass. Yeah, we sucked ass in Strong's last year. We lost to Kansas. He had to go after that. But imagine if that team didn't have D'Onta. It would not have been Charlie's fault. 

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’ve happily negged you twice on this thread because you’re an equivocating Charlie Strong apologist who’s best feature in this thread is that you appeared far later in it than is your MO. I’m done with the bullshit from fuckheaded posters like you. I don’t neg much, either, so congrats. Merry Christmas. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

From a much broader societal perspective, it's amazing that a man of inarguably low intellect - and a member of an ethic group that has been historically subjugated and shit-upon by this country - has made millions and millions of dollars by being terrible at his job.  That's real progress.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think these are valid points. But Charlie is not cut out for head coaching nonetheless.  I might buy the CTE thing, or heavy reliance on colleagues and superiors in other more successful engagements, or some combination thereof.

Regardless, I am sorry to say that I don't think he's got it. 

Also, I don't find that deposition convincing. Yeah he didn't know his zip code and brain cramped swoopes' first name, but he also rattled off the three backups, including spelling the invisible Vinglareks name,which I just got wrong. 

What about the part of his deposition where he very clearly had no idea what the word “flattered” meant?

6 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Everything that could have gone wrong for Charlie did go wrong, from losing his starting QB on down. Yeah, his record sucks and those were miserable years, but they would have been just as bad under Mack Brown, Darrell Royal or Vince Lombardi. 

OH MY GOD... Please take Charlie Not-At-All Strong's cock out of your mouth! Can you still taste Jonathan Blue's wife's vagina on it?!

Under Coach Potato, when we were behind at halftime, our record was... TWO wins and SEVENTEEN Losses.... 2 - 17.

When we trailed going into the 4th quarter under Coach Potato, our record was TWO wins and SEVENTEEN Losses. ... 2 -17.

That is coaching, failing to be able to make in-game adjustments, lack of condition and yes.. to a certain extent, lack of depth.

But, was there one coach in the Big 12 who shook in their boots at the prospect of going up against Coach Potato? Stoops? Gundy? Patterson? Briles? Bro? Wizard?

For you to even insinuate that the record would have been as bad with Mack or DKR or Lombardi demonstrates:  (1). You know nothing about football and coaching; (2). You are the worst troll possible; (3). Coach Potato's cock is rammed so far down your throat you cannot breathe, or (4). All of the above.

Quit talking while you are behind.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

What about the part of his deposition where he very clearly had no idea what the word “flattered” meant?

I didn't read it that way. I dunno, I have read a boatload of incoherent deposition transcripts, including a couple of my own. I just don’t put a ton of stock in it. 

And if we are going to use the strict definition of stupid - - ignorant but not necessarily unintelligent - - I could buy that pretty easily, but probably a number of HFCs fit that one. 

I didn't read it that way. I dunno, I have read a boatload of incoherent deposition transcripts, including a couple of my own. I just don’t put a ton of stock in it. 
And if we are going to use the strict definition of stupid - - ignorant but not necessarily unintelligent - - I could buy that pretty easily, but probably a number of HFCs fit that one. 
Don't overlook the whole reason for the deposition was because Charlie didn't know who was calling plays. Or was lying about it.

16 minutes ago, JMFP said:
28 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Read more  

Don't overlook the whole reason for the deposition was because Charlie didn't know who was calling plays. Or was lying about it.

Uh no. The whole reason for the deposition was because dickwad Patterson wouldn’t settle the case where UT was pretty obviously liable. Let’s not start minimizing that fuckwads contributions to the fiasco. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Uh no. The whole reason for the deposition was because dickwad Patterson wouldn’t settle the case where UT was pretty obviously liable. Let’s not start minimizing that fuckwads contributions to the fiasco. 

Troof. Wickline was named OC to attempt to skirt his buyout at OSU. Fairly chickenshit move. Patterson lowballed Chuck on many of his assistants, apparently. 

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Troof. Wickline was named OC to attempt to skirt his buyout at OSU. Fairly chickenshit move. Patterson lowballed Chuck on many of his assistants, apparently. 

Charlie may not be a good coach but if you’ve got a guy like Patterson as your boss you’re fucked. I don’t care who you are. 

• Like 2