So...about Charlie Strong at USF...

horn_of_the_morning

2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

1. According to S&P+, Charlie's last two teams were practically equal to Mack's last team, the 8-5 squad. All of them came in right around number 37. And that's where we are again this year under Herman. No, Bill Connelly doesn't put his finger on the scale because he's from Oklahoma and went to Mizzou. He really is a robot, and he just reports what his algorithm says. It's just an accurate, semi-scientific measurement of where our program has been the last few years. 

2. You can't tell me that Mack left Charlie with more talent than Charlie left Herman with. Mack's last five recruiting classes were mostly trash, aside from a Kenny Vacarro here and a Malcom Brown there and what else? There was a lot of bad luck in there, too. I believe Jonathan Gray, David Ash and Malcolm Brown could have been good ones but they all went down to various injuries. But there were also a lot of overrated or plain bad takes. Charlie reversed that trend. We've started putting guys in the League again, and that is what you need if you want to continue to compete. 

3. Herman has made his share of boneheaded in-game moves. Every coach does. I think the MENSA vs Coach Potato images shield him from this to some degree. 

4. Can anyone explain why he was so keen to play Kyle Porter over Chris Warren III last year? If you are straight up in the business of winning football games that is not a good decision. Yeah yeah, Warren's big game was against one of Tech's sorriest defenses, but he had some other good games, and I think Porter would have a tough time breaking 50 yards against Our Lady of the Lake. Seriously, I think his career-long at UT is about 12 yards against some mullet squad in garbage time. And you have Warren on the bench. Ok cool. Hook 'em. And then Warren shreds in the NFL pre-season and he'll be back with the Raiders next year. Kyle Porter would have trouble getting invited to a training camp in fucking Italy or Ireland or some shit -- not even Canada. He was a late take in one of Charlie's classes and seems like a great kid but he is just not up to this level of competition. So why did Herman give him all those fucking carries? Anyone got an answer for that?

Obviously we haven't turned the corner to becoming a top notch program yet, but I'm just hoping for the best in the future. If you simply must take shots at the current staff in order to build up a departed one, feel free to appease your own needs. But don't expect anyone to take you seriously, as either an informed critic or someone honestly cheering the current program. 

9 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

Can anyone tell me what you could possibly tell recruits (that would work) after you lose to Kansas? I honestly can't think of a thing.

My S&P+ is no worse than my predecessor’s was, and I plan to start recruiting OL some day soon. Knowing whether I should accept a penalty is hard, but at TEXAS we are getting that nailed down. Same for the whole choosing explicitly to kick thing at the coin flip. There is a good chance I have an actual winning season soon, but I’m not supposed to lie so I won’t  flat out guarantee it. Blah blah bare cupboard cake baked employ every statistic except W/L.

4 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

1. According to S&P+, Charlie's last two teams were practically equal to Mack's last team, the 8-5 squad. All of them came in right around number 37. And that's where we are again this year under Herman. No, Bill Connelly doesn't put his finger on the scale because he's from Oklahoma and went to Mizzou. He really is a robot, and he just reports what his algorithm says. It's just an accurate, semi-scientific measurement of where our program has been the last few years. 

2. You can't tell me that Mack left Charlie with more talent than Charlie left Herman with. Mack's last five recruiting classes were mostly trash, aside from a Kenny Vacarro here and a Malcom Brown there and what else? There was a lot of bad luck in there, too. I believe Jonathan Gray, David Ash and Malcolm Brown could have been good ones but they all went down to various injuries. But there were also a lot of overrated or plain bad takes. Charlie reversed that trend. We've started putting guys in the League again, and that is what you need if you want to continue to compete. 

3. Herman has made his share of boneheaded in-game moves. Every coach does. I think the MENSA vs Coach Potato images shield him from this to some degree. 

4. Can anyone explain why he was so keen to play Kyle Porter over Chris Warren III last year? If you are straight up in the business of winning football games that is not a good decision. Yeah yeah, Warren's big game was against one of Tech's sorriest defenses, but he had some other good games, and I think Porter would have a tough time breaking 50 yards against Our Lady of the Lake. Seriously, I think his career-long at UT is about 12 yards against some mullet squad in garbage time. And you have Warren on the bench. Ok cool. Hook 'em. And then Warren shreds in the NFL pre-season and he'll be back with the Raiders next year. Kyle Porter would have trouble getting invited to a training camp in fucking Italy or Ireland or some shit -- not even Canada. He was a late take in one of Charlie's classes and seems like a great kid but he is just not up to this level of competition. So why did Herman give him all those fucking carries? Anyone got an answer for that?

Jesus, it's like arguing with my ex-wife. You not only do not address the legion of facts contradicting your vacuous opinions but deny their very existence. You consistently ignore all of the facts which counter your opinions, most of which have no merit, substance or factual basis supporting them.

Like aggy ("oh.. since 1970, we are almost, nearly even with the sips and all you have to do is disregard the number of times we were on probation) you ignore anything and everything that does not support your point of view.

And now, despite having a complete lack of credibility, you insist on shitting all over Herman in a vainglorious attempt to prove that Charlie Cuckold was not as bad as everyone knows he is.

You shit on Mack Brown. You shit on Tom Herman. You shit on the University of Texas. Why? Now, make no mistake, no one is expecting you to just embrace everything about Mack and Herman. That is far too aggy-ish. But, when you are so blinded by your love for your hero, your idol, your boy toy, Coach Potato that you shit on the very University you claim to support for the sole purpose of trying to raise the stature of the worst coach in the history of our program, then you sirrah, are nothing but a reprobate at best.

And I am sure I write for a number of people on here when I ask, "if Coach Potato were white, would your pathetic attempt at a defense of this coach be as strident? Would you be running down the University of Texas football program, as you are attempting to do, if Coach Potato were white?

And yes.. damn straight, I played the race card front and center. Others may be too candy ass or politically correct to do so, but your constant pedantic ramblings can be interpreted as supporting a coach based on one criteria, and one criteria alone... his race.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Arguments can be made for OL & DL, but no other position was fucked up royally than QB. 

Mack fucked it up first, but then Charlie deserves double criticism because he double down on Mack’s stupidity 

2006 - Jevan Snead (Transfer early)

2007 - John Chiles (could not pass)

2008 - 

2009 - Garrett Gilbert (epic bust)

2010 - Case McCoy (legacy offer)

2011 - David Ash

2012 - Tyrone Swoopes

2013 - Jerrod Heard

2014 - Matthew Merrick

2015 - Shane Buchele

2016 - Sam Ehlinger 

Mack’s mistake was after VY & Colt. He recruited like he could just choose great QBs. He did so with GG, and that blew up in his face. Once GG happened in 2010, all he had on the roster was Case McCoy. Then, knowing he was fucked at QB, he didn’t bring a proven transfer like OU, Alabama, or any other normal fucking coach would do. He just said let’s ride with Case. I got 3 star Ash coming too, which was insane. 

Furthermore, a coach in his position would have noticed that Swoopes, while looking like VY, didn’t actually play like VY in his junior or Senior year. Same reasons most schools backed off Shawn Robinson and might be the same with Hornsby, we will see. Anyway. Mack’s a psycho , so he sticks with Swoopes. At the same time, our team is playing like dogshit, and instead of bringing in s proven grad transfer or fuck a regular transfer, we just keep hoping the next tru freshman will save us. 

Mack gets fired. Our QB room is a dumpster fire for 3 straight years. Charlie comes in and does the same fucking thing Mack did, setting the program back 3 more years, Brings in zero transfers, hopes Heard will be a savior. The next year, he only signs a 3 star nobody was recruiting. WTF. The ego level to just assume the guy you pick will be great after years of it not working is mind numbing, And to see it happen 5 or 6 years in a row? 

OU should have been fucked at QB because the guys they recruited also flamed out. But they have coaches who aren’t stupid, and also got transfers Baker, and Kyler. 

Herman immediately recruits 2 QBs. Yes, they might transfer, but before he knew Sam would pan out, he had to get more dudes. They both probably came in thinking they might win the job over Sam. Hopefully 1 stays. Hell I wouldn’t be surprised to see us sign a QB2 other than Roschon. Especially in this day of Transfer Porter. 

I fear Transfer Porter...slickest recruiter in the game

11 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I am still not sold on Kerstetter and Cosmi. Man, Cosmi had one of the worst plays I've ever seen in the second OU game where he let his guy beat him on the inside without even making a move. I've been watching and or playing football for over 40 years and I'd never seen more fail on a single play from an OL ever. There was no stunt or twist or anything -- that gooner just beat him to the inside and sacked Sam while Cosmi watched helplessly.

Cosmi was a late take in a transition recruiting class because Strong had 0 OL committed in the '17 class. This is such an odd take because Cosmi is better than any offensive lineman Strong landed during his tenure outside of Connor Williams. How can you not be sold on Cosmi while at the same time hyping what Strong did with the OL?

Cosmi was a late take because Texas was in desperate need of OL and he's going to be better than almost every OL from the Strong recruiting classes. 

You come across as biased with these type takes. If you aren't sold on Cosmi you sure as hell shouldn't be sold on what Strong did with the offensive line. 

Edited by texasstrong12

6 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

This is just dumb. Strong's '16 team (that lost to fucking Kansas) was in no way shape or form equal to Mack's last team. 

All you've done here is prove how fucking stupid S&P+ is. 

I think some of the criticisms of Strong are over the top but you are clearly biased if you have takes like this.

How in the hell could you think the '16 team was even comparable to Mack's final year ('14) and this year's team under Herman? I don't need some stupid metric to tell me this year's team is substantially better than the team that went 5-7 with losses to Cal and Kansas. 

12 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

This year's OL was the first I've seen since about 2009 that was merely fucking viable. Sam could stand there in the pocket on some plays and check down. We haven't had that in years, and none of you assholes can honestly sit there and tell me that is all Charlie's fault. I mean look at how we didn't put a single OL in the league from Tony Hills to Connor Williams. That is a long-ass time.

Wickline and Strong ended up being a total failure in terms of the OL. 

This year's OL was average to slightly above average because of two tackles that were Herman guys (Anderson and Cosmi). The interior OL recruited by Strong was still shit for the most part (Vahe, Shack, and Rodriguez). 

Strong didn't land a single good offensive lineman outside of Connor Williams and we only got about 2.5 years out of him. You trying to give Strong credit for the OL is dumb and I think he should absolutely get credit for guys like LJH and CJ. Strong did a shit job of rebuilding the OL. 

3 hours ago, Tired Horn said:

Obviously we haven't turned the corner to becoming a top notch program yet, but I'm just hoping for the best in the future. If you simply must take shots at the current staff in order to build up a departed one, feel free to appease your own needs. But don't expect anyone to take you seriously, as either an informed critic or someone honestly cheering the current program. 

You are misunderstanding me. I am not taking shots at Herman. I am taking shots at the program, which I fear is becoming like that at Tennessee. I fear that we lose by a couple of scores to Georgia and then win only 7 or 8 next year while the fucking gooners just keep marching on, and then Herman's seat gets hot, and here we go, 2014 all over again. 

Herman needs a full five. Period. No matter if we don't make a bowl next year or not. He's a smart guy and a good coach who is learning on the job, but the reality of this year and my prediction for next year are not pretty. Yeah it's true that we match up schematically pretty well with the Dawgs, but what I saw from the athletically scared the Bejesus out of me. Their OL is so athletic and well-coached, and Fromm can just sit back there most times, even against Bama's D. 

Y'all, I pretty much nailed this season back in August when our fellow Horn dad called me and asked me what I thought. I put the over / under at 9 wins (or maybe 8 ) and said the D would be worse but the O would be better. And that's about exactly how it played out. I don't see how either unit is gonna be better next year, but I do think 2020 will be the dawning of a new era, if we just let it be. But if we don't win more that 6 next year, the "Fire Tom Herman" thread is gonna be at the top of the board every week and the boosters will be hearing it from the rabble and maybe agreeing with it. Which would be very stupid. 

We have a good coach. We are overmatched in this bowl game. Next year is gonna be tough, but we need to stay the course. Sam Houston's whole army wanted him to turn and attack Santa Anna all the way to San Jacinto, but he kept his own counsel and waited until the exact right time, and he he not, it would have been a disaster. We are not there yet. We are a feisty team with an Alamo and a Goliad left in us but we are getting there, and when we turn on the enemy a couple of years down the line it's gonna be fearsome. 

Proceed with the negs, accusations of a tiny penis and / or a vagina etc....Or hey, it's Christmas. PM me and I'll give you my address so you can send me some tampons. 

• Fuck You 3

7 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

You are misunderstanding me. I am not taking shots at Herman. I am taking shots at the program, which I fear is becoming like that at Tennessee. I fear that we lose by a couple of scores to Georgia and then win only 7 or 8 next year while the fucking gooners just keep marching on, and then Herman's seat gets hot, and here we go, 2014 all over again. 

Herman needs a full five. Period. No matter if we don't make a bowl next year or not. He's a smart guy and a good coach who is learning on the job, but the reality of this year and my prediction for next year are not pretty. Yeah it's true that we match up schematically pretty well with the Dawgs, but what I saw from the athletically scared the Bejesus out of me. Their OL is so athletic and well-coached, and Fromm can just sit back there most times, even against Bama's D. 

Y'all, I pretty much nailed this season back in August when our fellow Horn dad called me and asked me what I thought. I put the over / under at 9 wins (or maybe 8 ) and said the D would be worse but the O would be better. And that's about exactly how it played out. I don't see how either unit is gonna be better next year, but I do think 2020 will be the dawning of a new era, if we just let it be. But if we don't win more that 6 next year, the "Fire Tom Herman" thread is gonna be at the top of the board every week and the boosters will be hearing it from the rabble and maybe agreeing with it. Which would be very stupid. 

We have a good coach. We are overmatched in this bowl game. Next year is gonna be tough, but we need to stay the course. Sam Houston's whole army wanted him to turn and attack Santa Anna all the way to San Jacinto, but he kept his own counsel and waited until the exact right time, and he he not, it would have been a disaster. We are not there yet. We are a feisty team with an Alamo and a Goliad left in us but we are getting there, and when we turn on the enemy a couple of years down the line it's gonna be fearsome. 

Proceed with the negs, accusations of a tiny penis and / or a vagina etc....Or hey, it's Christmas. PM me and I'll give you my address so you can send me some tampons. 

Stop being such a pussy, dude...

7 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

At least you finished strong. 

• 3 weeks later...

Per The Athletic:

USF became the first team in FBS history to start 7-0 and finish 7-6.

The Bulls capped the year with a 38-20 loss to Marshall in the Gasparilla Bowl. USF peaked at No. 21 in the AP poll, after four one-possession wins during its 7-0 start. It lost to Houston, Tulane, Cincinnati, Temple, UCF and Marshall all by double digits.

That's impressive. And every single person here who identified Strong's bullshit gets an A+ for being correct in foreshadowing classic strong bullshit at USF as well. 

• Like 1

Lulz, geez Hamm too bad about losing your pool cleaning job.

SUC SUC SUC

On 12/27/2018 at 2:52 AM, MaybeACoordinator said:

You are misunderstanding me. I am not taking shots at Herman. I am taking shots at the program, which I fear is becoming like that at Tennessee. I fear that we lose by a couple of scores to Georgia ...

No matter if we don't make a bowl next year or not. He's a smart guy and a good coach who is learning on the job, but the reality of this year and my prediction for next year are not pretty. Yeah it's true that we match up schematically pretty well with the Dawgs, but what I saw from the athletically scared the Bejesus out of me. Their OL is so athletic and well-coached, and Fromm can just sit back there most times, even against Bama's D.  

We have a good coach. We are overmatched in this bowl game. 

Were we overmatched? Listening to the pundits on ESPN with a multi-billion dollar contract with the SEC ... yes.

They athletically scared the bejesus out of you? Again, ESPN hype and playing only one OOC team with a pulse will do that.

We do have a good coach. And good coaching resulted in the win against a team perceived to be superior to ours. The game was nowhere near as close as the score. Their weaknesses were identified and attacked. 

It is nice to have a coaching staff capable of that instead of a coaching staff still trying to learn to spell ... weakness.

In the unlikely event that Potato is still with USF with they come marching in to Austin in 2020, the beat down will be absolutely epic.

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Definitely Steve Patterson's fault. Charlie got no support. 

how can you say this when we had an interim AD and the president of the university fly to Tulsa to try and save Charlies OC hire who accepted, then bailed on him knowing Charlie was going to get fired.  Fenves and Perrin fly to Tulsa and give the guy 2 years of guaranteed money no matter what happens to Charlie.  That seems like a lot of support.  Charlie is the one who lost to Iowa State and Kansas.  Not sure what he needed in terms of support in order to not suck so badly.  Is USF not supporting him?  Because his results there are almost exactly like the ones here.  A team of good athletes that is woefully unprepared each week, and beaten by rosters with less talent over and over and over again.  Support or not, the guy is a really terrible football coach.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pepper brooks said:

how can you say this when we had an interim AD and the president of the university fly to Tulsa to try and save Charlies OC hire who accepted, then bailed on him knowing Charlie was going to get fired.  Fenves and Perrin fly to Tulsa and give the guy 2 years of guaranteed money no matter what happens to Charlie.  That seems like a lot of support.  Charlie is the one who lost to Iowa State and Kansas.  Not sure what he needed in terms of support in order to not suck so badly.  Is USF not supporting him?  Because his results there are almost exactly like the ones here.  A team of good athletes that is woefully unprepared each week, and beaten by rosters with less talent over and over and over again.  Support or not, the guy is a really terrible football coach.  

You missed the blatant sarcasm.

Yeah there’s some gold in that MaybeACoordinator post quoted a few posts up but I’m too lazy to go through it all.  Best part was him saying he “nailed the season back in August” followed by how superior Georgia is to us and we may be on a path to mediocracy. 

Fuck off with that pussy shit. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

Oh. I forgot I'm on the football board, and everything that entails from other posters. Fuck.

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

Yeah there’s some gold in that MaybeACoordinator post quoted a few posts up but I’m too lazy to go through it all.  Best part was him saying he “nailed the season back in August” followed by how superior Georgia is to us and we may be on a path to mediocracy. 

Fuck off with that pussy shit. 

Georgia had a modest edge in overall athletic ability but a severe deficit at the most important position on the team.  UGa was totally outschemed on both sides of the ball.  That was sufficient to give Texas the edge and Georgia turnovers turned the game into a cruise control win.

I'm not a coordinator, a coach or even a (football) consultant and could see through the PR fog without too much difficulty.

On 12/27/2018 at 1:52 AM, MaybeACoordinator said:

#nailedit

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Not gonna lie, I liked him longer than others did and I was one of the final ones to agree it was time for him to go, but gotdam, he needed to and I'm glad we finally got rid of him and his bullshit. 

I was with him all the way up to the Okie State game in year three. Getting blown out and dropping to 2-2 while getting three extra points blocked pretty much burned off all the kool-aid I'd mainlined over the previous two seasons. Even the Cal game the week before didn't do it, but that game...? It was entirely, 100%, no questions asked lost because of things that Strong had supposedly been hired to fix, and it could not have been made plainer that not only had he not fixed them, he'd made them worse.

Still, there's not a single doubt when reviewing the evidence that it took me longer to turn on him than it did for the majority of those of us who expressed opinions. But better late than never, and at least I'm not in the crowd that was holding out hope all the way to his Little Big Horn moment in Lawrence.

• Like 1

I was on a USF board following some story that linked to it a week or two ago and I saw a thread title decrying that Chuckles had somehow fucked up the new redshirt process. Shit happened, I got distracted, and I never ended up reading the thread. Can't find it now, or even the board. But how do you fuck up the redshirting process? Play guys more than 4 games on accident? Not play many guys much at all? I guess there are few ways it could go, and any direction somehow entertains me, thinking about it. That guy is dumb as a sack of hammers, and completely disorganized, so I guess the concept shouldn't surprise me. If anybody sees something along these lines, link it here, please. 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I was on a USF board following some story that linked to it a week or two ago and I saw a thread title decrying that Chuckles had somehow fucked up the new redshirt process. Shit happened, I got distracted, and I never ended up reading the thread. Can't find it now, or even the board. But how do you fuck up the redshirting process? Play guys more than 4 games on accident? Not play many guys much at all? I guess there are few ways it could go, and any direction somehow entertains me, thinking about it. That guy is dumb as a sack of hammers, and completely disorganized, so I guess the concept shouldn't surprise me. If anybody sees something along these lines, link it here, please. 

Malzahn did it with a running back this year. I'll look for the USF story.

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2018/12/an-inside-look-at-how-auburn-botched-asa-martins-redshirt.html

Edited by Machinator

Hey y'all, I publicly handed in my pussy card after the Sugar Bowl. Neg away if you want, but I confessed to my sins. 

On 12/3/2018 at 1:41 PM, Thatguy said:

Everyone is talking big shit when we could very well take a step back next year. Then how dumb would we look talking shit about Charlie if we go 7-6, 9-5, 7-6, and Charlie goes 10-2, 8-5, and 10-2 over the three years since he left? Sometimes you have to have a little foresight.

Here's another gem that deserves a bump. Tom already ruined his wishful-thinking prediction by winning 10 this year.

edit: and of course, so did Charlie with his embarrassing loss to Marshall.

Edited by CurlyDumps

56 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I was on a USF board following some story that linked to it a week or two ago and I saw a thread title decrying that Chuckles had somehow fucked up the new redshirt process. Shit happened, I got distracted, and I never ended up reading the thread. Can't find it now, or even the board. But how do you fuck up the redshirting process? Play guys more than 4 games on accident?  

Drooling Charlie probably played some guys 5-10 plays this season. One or two in each of five games, just for good measure.

Oops. Did I do thaaaaaat?!

Pretty much nailed that one didn't ya. Take the loss, err win, pussy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I was with him all the way up to the Okie State game in year three. Getting blown out and dropping to 2-2 while getting three extra points blocked pretty much burned off all the kool-aid I'd mainlined over the previous two seasons. Even the Cal game the week before didn't do it, but that game...? It was entirely, 100%, no questions asked lost because of things that Strong had supposedly been hired to fix, and it could not have been made plainer that not only had he not fixed them, he'd made them worse.

Still, there's not a single doubt when reviewing the evidence that it took me longer to turn on him than it did for the majority of those of us who expressed opinions. But better late than never, and at least I'm not in the crowd that was holding out hope all the way to his Little Big Horn moment in Lawrence.

Funny, my breaking point was that same game. That was the one that got me. 

1 minute ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Funny, my breaking point was that same game. That was the one that got me. 

Best part was right before halftime we take a delay of game on third down that took us from 37 to 42 yards out.  Our kicker was decent inside 40. And awful outside it.  

We had three fucking timeouts left.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Best part was right before halftime we take a delay of game on third down that took us from 37 to 42 yards out.  Our kicker was decent inside 40. And awful outside it.  

We had three fucking timeouts left.  

I was on the road to a family gathering listening in the car.  I believe that was the first time my son (3 or 4 at the time) heard me say the F word.  As in "What the fuck are we DOING?!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think most of us who closely follow college football knew deep down that Charlie was not going to work out on the day he hired Shawn Watson.   I count myself in that lot, although I tried to fool myself into thinking it could work.  It's like there were two me's.  The dumb me should have listened to the smart me and just tuned the following three years out.  But there were a lot of us in that boat.  There were even people who wrote essays about how it might not be so bad.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I think most of us who closely follow college football knew deep down that Charlie was not going to work out on the day he hired Shawn Watson.   I count myself in that lot, although I tried to fool myself into thinking it could work.  It's like there were two me's.  The dumb me should have listened to the smart me and just tuned the following three years out.  But there were a lot of us in that boat.  There were even people who wrote essays about how it might not be so bad.

I almost puked when I learned about his initial staff.  Then a friend of mine who is a Louisville fan implored me to look at the results game by game of Strong and the records of the teams he played.  

27 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

We get those same essays about Tim Beck, too. Slightly better results, though.

6 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I was with him all the way up to the Okie State game in year three. Getting blown out and dropping to 2-2 while getting three extra points blocked pretty much burned off all the kool-aid I'd mainlined over the previous two seasons.

That was the exact moment for me. Has that happened in any other college game?

8 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

We get those same essays about Tim Beck, too. Slightly better results, though.

Well, yeah... but if you'll remember, there was a bit of improvement on defense when Charlie started calling that side of the ball himself, too. Not quite as dramatic, but it's the same general principle. There was someone to shore up Beck's deficiencies. Watson was more or less a three-legged turtle running a naked bootleg.