So...about Charlie Strong at USF...

horn_of_the_morning

32 minutes ago, MrPhlegm said:

So he's PERFECT for USF.

Univershitty of SOUTH Floriduh is in CENTRAL FLORIDUH. DERPITY DERP DERP DERP.

Yeah I thought I was drunk last night.  Announcers saying their playing in their home stadium which is in Tampa which is not in South Florida.

On 11/27/2018 at 1:12 PM, ztejas said:

I don't hate Charlie but I think he was a shitty football coach and deserved to be fired. 

I haven't seen any hate in this thread directed at the man personally. I think we can all agree he's a morally sound dude with a smoking hot daughter. I'll drink to that. Not going to drink to hitting the 777 slot jackpot. 

I wanted Strong to be successful because he was the Texas head coach. It was apparent he wasn't going to be successful because he was a guy that thought firing the players up and having them go out ready to run through a wall was enough. He wasn't detail oriented, and the team never played smart football.

As the movie says, "You're a good dad? Go home and fuck your kid," or something like that. I really don't give a shit if he's a nice guy. Win some fuckin' football games. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

I wanted Strong to be successful because he was the Texas head coach. It was apparent he wasn't going to be successful because he was a guy that thought firing the players up and having them go out ready to run through a wall was enough. He wasn't detail oriented, and the team never played smart football.

As the movie says, "You're a good dad? Go home and fuck your kid," or something like that. I really don't give a shit if he's a nice guy. Win some fuckin' football games. 

Preach

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

White guy here as well, but at some point, it’s time to break out the truth. Strong was named as the other man in the Louisville booster lawsuit. He was fucking another woman at Louisville and when it all came to light and embarrassed his wife and kids while at Texas, he slept in the office or in a guest room at his own house for the final year of his time at Texas. The “good guy” narrative is literally something white people are using to fend of the blunt instrument of blanket race-baiting when a minority takes humbrage to a white person leveling criticism at a minority that doesn’t feel good. 

Umbrage doesn't include an "h", sweetheart. 

Edited by ztejas

7 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

son of a bitch the fucking USF fan forum probably does not have a thread this long talking about Charlie and they are still stuck with the mother fucker

To be fair, they haven't been paying him as much as we have the past couple of years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

Jesus, which version of Glengary Glen Ross were you watching?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, C-Man said:

That same non-racist — I’m a SA guy generally like Red — wanted John Gruden, though.

Me in 2014: ha ha ha ha ha what a stupid fucking idea!!!! fuck John Gruden

Me now: could he POSSIBLY have been ANY worse than Charlie Strong? What could Gruden have done to have embarrassed us more than Strong did? 

10 hours ago, Newy25 said:

I would be lying if I said being called a racist did not enter my mind before saying he is a dumb motherfucker. Probably because I was routinely called a racist on the old Fire Charlie Strong thread on the shag. 

He reminds me a lot of Chan Gailey. I thought Gailey was a great guy. Treated reporters with respect and was not a cesspool of a human being like Switzer before him. On the old ESPN Cowboy boards I would qualify all of my Gailey criticisms with “look I like him as a man but”....

And like Strong, he really struggled processing all of the in game elements and would fuck up basic shit. Give him a more defined scope like maximize offensive personnel and play calling and he thrived. Give him a head coaching job and his brain literally melted down. He did not have the mental capacity to process everything he needed  to.  

Strong is the black Chan Gailey. 

There are stupid people of all skin colors, and I don’t have a problem calling them out. Charlie Strong is a stupid person. He’s made large sums of money coaching football, but he’s terrible at most aspects of the job because he’s stupid. Good for him. Unfortunate for us. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

The comma belongs prior to the final quotation mark. None of us posts in perfect English. Let’s leave be the grammar, diction, and spelling smack (and lessons), please.

That scrotey douche showed up to correct my spelling? Hahahahaha. I am living rent free in that dipshit’s head. Good lord. 

• Haha 1

I don't really buy the "he's stupid" thing.

There are numerous explanations for his lack of success as a HFC (and success as a DC) that don't include general stupidity. 

A pretty fair number of people with very high IQs would fail miserably as a HFC.  Similarly Mensa Tom has done some stupid shit as a HFC. 

12 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I don't really buy the "he's stupid" thing.

There are numerous explanations for his lack of success as a HFC (and success as a DC) that don't include general stupidity. 

A pretty fair number of people with very high IQs would fail miserably as a HFC.  Similarly Mensa Tom has done some stupid shit as a HFC. 

Charlie may not be stupid about everything, but he’s stupid. 

22 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Yeah, we all wanted to side with Charlie at the time because we wanted to support the coach and believe he would have success here.  But considering Red owned his own pro sports teams, and employed black head coaches at a time when it was much less common than today, it was always pretty ludicrous to think he was some racist dude that just couldn’t stand to see a black man coaching UT.  

Most wanted Red out of the picture because he was like the man behind the curtain controlling Deloss who at the time had his head so stuck in the ground, it ended up in China.  Football, Basketball and Baseball were all screaming for leadership shake ups in some way and Deloss was like " all is good, nothing to see here folks."   So Charlie was the ultimate FU to the establishment.      It turned out to F the program in the long run.  

Deloss outlived his tenure by a few years and we rushed to get another clusterfark in the AD's office because of one reason alone and that was to try to look like we were fixing things to counter the momentum at aggy, and even up the road in Waco and Ft Worth as they were not only doing well in football, but in hoops and the diamond as well.    We rushed to get the media darlings of the coaching world such as Charlie and Smart without doing some serious due diligence.    I have to think we'd be at whole different level right now had we hired a Del Conte like guy or himself a few years ago.   In all sports....  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Most wanted Red out of the picture because he was like the man behind the curtain controlling Deloss who at the time had his head so stuck in the ground, it ended up in China.  Football, Basketball and Baseball were all screaming for leadership shake ups in some way and Deloss was like " all is good, nothing to see here folks."   So Charlie was the ultimate FU to the establishment.      It turned out to F the program in the long run.  

Deloss outlived his tenure by a few years and we rushed to get another clusterfark in the AD's office because of one reason alone and that was to try to look like we were fixing things to counter the momentum at aggy, and even up the road in Waco and Ft Worth as they were not only doing well in football, but in hoops and the diamond as well.    We rushed to get the media darlings of the coaching world such as Charlie and Smart without doing some serious due diligence.    I have to think we'd be at whole different level right now had we hired a Del Conte like guy or himself a few years ago.   In all sports....  

Agree. It was sort of a microcosm of how business in Texas is done. 

On 12/21/2018 at 9:30 AM, Tex Long said:

A friend who's a Neurologist opined that Charlie seems a whole lot like a person with CTE issues. I don't have a background that would let me argue that one way or the other... any headquacks here want to weigh in on that?

That's nothing more than a politically correct way of saying He's dumb as fuck.

5 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

The comma belongs prior to the final quotation mark. None of us posts in perfect English. Let’s leave be the grammar, diction, and spelling smack (and lessons), please.

I have my qualms with American English but I'll drink to your correction.

Oh and um, fuck Charlie Strong something something Belmont something clock management.

2 hours ago, TexasMan said:

Geez. Let's see... At Texas he runs off a lot of players in Year One. Then he dumps his offensive coordinator one game into Year Two. Then he dumps his defensive coordinator a few games into Year Three. Now he's embracing chaos in Year Two at USF.

It's not the be all and end all, but there is some value to a little stability in a program. Hard to escape the conclusion at this point that high drama Charlie just doesn't have a stable vision of the program he wants to build. 

39 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Google Charlie Strong deposition.  And one of the top handful of results will be his deposition transcript in the Wickline and Okie Lite lawsuit.  Download it.  Read it.  

You will buy he’s just stupid really quick.  

As previously noted, the stupidity that was on full display during the Charlie Strong Texas Football fiasco is not consistent with his record as a coordinator. Possibly the Peter Principle, but I'm inclined to agree with the amateur shrink analysis: brain damage of some sort. Seems to me that he has been getting dumber with every passing day.

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

As previously noted, the stupidity that was on full display during the Charlie Strong Texas Football fiasco is not consistent with his record as a coordinator. Possibly the Peter Principle, but I'm inclined to agree with the amateur shrink analysis: brain damage of some sort. Seems to me that he has been getting dumber with every passing day.

Or as a coordinator he worked under strong leaders who used the skills he does possess ably while accounting for his shortcomings.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

Sounds just like a current basketball coach we all know and loath.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Google Charlie Strong deposition.  And one of the top handful of results will be his deposition transcript in the Wickline and Okie Lite lawsuit.  Download it.  Read it.  

You will buy he’s just stupid really quick.  

Cliffnotes?

googling some of those players it looks like at least a couple were problem children at other programs before USF

one was at Duke and was run off and another had a photo in Clemson gear, but (only looking briefly) I am not sure if he played there or perhaps his HS copies Clemson to a T

have to be careful on the garbage you load up on

22 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

awesome. thanks bud. Merry Christmas!

Q: OK. who are the current quarterbacks on your team right now?

A: Swoops

Q: Whats his first name?

A: He goes by Swoops. Jerrod Heard. Whats my mans first name? I -- done went blank on me...

Marvelous. Simply marvelous.

Edited by Doc Reeves

7 minutes ago, Deej said:

I'm actually impressed. I thought he only knew his players by their numbers.

Man, that's depressing.  I thought numbers thing was a schtick. The guy might not have the cognitive capacity to remember names, numbers and still figure out how to not get a PAT blocked.  

1 hour ago, Doc Reeves said:

-And very respectful.

Are these jokes?  Well spoken?  Guy was a mumbling fool who had a very limited vocabulary and looked at the floor more than the person(s) he was addressing. 

Respectful?  The guy threw the race card on us as he was about to get fired after 3 losing seasons they included losses at Iowa state and Kansas. 

He was neither well spoken nor respectful. 

Are these jokes?  Well spoken?  Guy was a mumbling fool who had a very limited vocabulary and looked at the floor more than the person(s) he was addressing. 

Respectful?  The guy threw the race card on us as he was about to get fired after 3 losing seasons they included losses at Iowa state and Kansas. 

He was neither well spoken nor respectful. 
Not a Chris Rock fan I see?

On 12/21/2018 at 9:43 PM, Bevo14 said:

It turns out he was a terrible manager and terrible at hiring the right coaches. I was pretty excited when we made the hire because of his success as a DC and recent success at Louisville, but man shit does not always work out.

20 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

For fuck sake, if we have one more delay of game penalty coming out of a timeout...

There are plenty of reasons to look back on the Strong tenure as a complete piece of shit, and it was, but how much of that can be laid at Mack's feet?

He left the program in a fucking shambles. No offensive line. A locker room full of head cases, none of whom panned out after Charlie kicked them off the team. Five or six guys with NFL talent on D who were only there for one year under Strong and nothing on O. Then Ash goes down -- forever-- in Charlie's first or second game and there is no QB for the next two years. Yeah, everybody on here was saying "why can't he just go get a grad transfer," and he tried, but Max Wittek couldn't qualify and ended up sucking anyway. 

At any rate, had Ash not gone down, we would have been a bowl team his first two years, but Mack was in the habit of not having viable QB-2s after the Simms-Applewhite feud. So Ash goes down and Charlie was fucked until he got Buechele, who looked like the real deal until he got plugged in the right rib cage in one of the Cal games. He hasn't been the same since. And you can't pin Heard on Strong, either -- he was another Mack recruit.

I believe it's about personnel more than coaching. Royal left Akers with a shit-ton of talent, including a Heisman winner and a bunch of guys who went on to long NFL careers. Akers left Mackovic with mostly a bunch of spares. Mackovic left Mack with another Heisman winner and a bunch of guys who went on to long NFL careers. What did Mack leave Strong with? 

And ask yourself this: on a personnel basis, was the program that Tom Herman inherited better or worse than the one Charlie Strong inherited? 

• Fuck You 8