Game 7: Texas vs. Radford, 6 PM, LHN

Machinator

2 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Yeah, left work early to drive 200 miles for the game. Fuck off dildo. 

Well congrats, I can blame you and the 800 fans there for not being loud enough as I see that is where you were going with the original post. Your decibel level is why we lost.

Just now, Cameltoe said:

So I didn't actually get to see the game because I don't get the fucking Longhorn Network, but this is complete and total fucking bullshit. This better be a wake-up call for the rest of season.

Do you live in Russia? 

I knew we couldn’t handle being good at the big three sports again.  Shaka is like Johnny Depp in ‘once upon a time in mexico’.  He restores balance and mediocrity.  

5 minutes ago, Cameltoe said:

So I didn't actually get to see the game because I don't get the fucking Longhorn Network, but this is complete and total fucking bullshit. This better be a wake-up call for the rest of season.

Psst: we've played like this for much of Shaka's tenure. Just so happens that today our shitty system/fundamentals couldn't be overcome by talent, and the "cupcake" we played didn't completely roll over in the end like Tennessee State last year or Incarnate Word two years ago.

• Like 1

Just now, Machinator said:

Psst: we've played like this for much of Shaka's tenure. Just so happens that today our shitty system/fundamentals couldn't be overcome by talent, and the "cupcake" we played didn't completely roll over in the end like Tennessee State last year or Incarnate Word two years ago.

Texas Volleyball Team just won 1st Set...... 25-14

7 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Wow I couldn’t watch the game because I went to watch the G league Spurs. What the Wtf?

We decided the one area where we could really beat Radford was 3 point shooting.  So we focused on that and ignored other less solid strategies like going inside, crashing the boards, and driving to draw fouls.  

The comments from this thread- "what do we do in practice?", "we're 5-25 from deep", "we are terrible at FTs", "this offense is pathetic", "why does shaka keep letting us shoot and miss threes?!", "sims is terrible", "dylan is terrible", "why does DO keep shooting threes?"

yeah, that's all we've been fucking saying for this guy's entire tenure at Texas. Nothing changes. We have the e act same problems and shortcomings year after year after year. WUlaw called this more than two years ago, and everything that's happened since then only goes to support his original contention. It has been beyond obvious for a long time- Shaka has been underperforming since his Final 4 run, period. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

We decided the one area where we could really beat Radford was 3 point shooting.  So we focused on that and ignored other less solid strategies like going inside, crashing the boards, and driving to draw fouls.  

We hired the guy from ISU to run our offense with bad 3 point shooters 

I went to both Texas and Radford.  I have a brother that lives in Radford and traveled here for the game.  He was at the practices this morning and said Coach Jones emphasized forcing Texas to go to the three and not let them score in the paint.  Looks like he was successful at that.

Texas looked best when they were cutting to the paint and penetrating early but they ended up just passing the perimeter or trying to drive and there were few cuts without the ball.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

I went to both Texas and Radford.  I have a brother that lives in Radford and traveled here for the game.  He was at the practices this morning and said Coach Jones emphasized forcing Texas to go to the three and not let them score in the paint.  Looks like he was successful at that.

Texas looked best when they were cutting to the paint and penetrating early but they ended up just passing the perimeter or trying to drive and there were few cuts without the ball.

Our coaches again. Of course literally any coach who employs basic common sense can out coach Shaka Smart, the man who has no plans to change his shitty starting lineup, or to recruit shooters, or to stop allowing/asking his terrible shooters to shoot 25 threes every game. Literally basic common sense says "don't do these things", and yet every single year we see the same mistakes, the same issues, and the same calling cards of a shaka smart team. 

10 minutes ago, Capn81 said:

Has to be sooner than later. Has a new arena that needs built.

No way he can be your head coach breaking in that new arena. 

Texas has money and will be coming off of an 11 win football season. Throw something at Calipari or Few or Self and see what happens. 

BTW - to clear any confusion - I use "we" with the football team because that has been and will always be my #1 football team - regardless of association.

For everything else related to Texas it is "you" - because I went to a good school that I can be proud of in every area.

Edited by ztejas
Troll prevention.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Can someone explain to me how/why Shaka got this job by pressing and has totally abandoned pressing ever since?!?!?

Pressing is a dumbass tactic that under-talented teams use in March Madness to try and throw big favorites off of their guard.

With a 30 second shot clock and a gravitation towards taking transition 3s pressing has to be one of the dumbest strategies left in the book unless you can convincingly and completely out-athleticism your opponent. 

Let me know the next time you see an NBA team run a full court press. 

Pressing is some bush-league out of date AAU level shit that doesn't have a place in today's game. 

4 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Can someone explain to me how/why Shaka got this job by pressing and has totally abandoned pressing ever since?!?!?

From what I understand:

1) good recruits don't want to play in that system

2) we didn't have the depth to press constantly until this season

3) pressing doesn't work that well anyway against teams with talented and experienced guards.

Just now, ztejas said:

Which is every team now in any decent level of basketball competition...

Right, and that's why I wasn't surprised when Shaka didn't bring Havoc to Austin. You can still have an exciting, high-tempo team fueled by aggressive defense without featuring the press.