2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story

horn4life

2 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Exactly. The GOP, as a party, completely flip-flopped on MAJOR issues in order to support Trump. They abandoned their foreign policy platform, their economic platform, and total abandonment of Family Values and Christian Values.

cutting taxes at the top and running big deficits have been the republican fiscal MO since ronald.

• Like 1

Yeah, the cartels with all their money and influence, no way they could overcome a fucking wall. Give me one example of drugs coming in other than walking across a wall-less border? [reads literally hundreds of articles about tunnels and drones and boats and planes and helicopters and bribery and violence].  Fake news bro!  Checkmate libtards! Build that wall! Build that wall!

Edited by 'stache

23 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

and people want to give AOC shit. this guy has 14 years of saying stupid shit. but it doesn't matter because east texas gonna east texas. in other gohmert news:

https://tylerpaper.com/news/national/tyler-congressman-louie-gohmert-says-steve-king-raised-a-fair/article_aaaeb87c-19c7-11e9-ae22-1f52cf148470.html

A congressman from East Texas says his colleague raised a fair question about Western civilization and is being treated unfairly.

U.S. Rep. Louie Gohmert said that U.S. Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa — who has been disciplined by Republican leaders for comments about white supremacy and white nationalism — is not getting due process, and he is still a friend.

Gohmert, who lives in Tyler, represents most of East Texas in the U.S. House. He commented on the ongoing situation involving King in a phone interview on Wednesday with the Tyler Morning Telegraph.

Republican leaders in the House decided Tuesday that King could not serve on any committees in the House. The move means King will not be able to do any in-depth policy work with his colleagues to write and edit, and he only will be able to vote on the House floor.

The move came after King told The New York Times in an article published Jan. 10: “White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization — how did that language become offensive? Why did I sit in classes teaching me about the merits of our history and our civilization?”

Gohmert served with King on the powerful House Judiciary Committee, and the Judiciary’s subcommittee on constitutional issues. Last week, when Gohmert was given time to speak to colleagues on the House floor, he gave a few minutes of that time to King, who said he wanted to clarify his comments.

“He explained what he was saying,” Gohmert said of King’s clarification. “He was talking about Western civilization, that, ‘When did Western civilization become a negative?’ and that’s a fair question. When did Western civilization become a negative?

“We have the only country that I’m aware of that would shed its most valuable treasure —American blood — for freedom, not for hegemony, just for freedom,” Gohmert said. “There’s never been a group that’s been more philanthropic than American citizens. That was a fair question — when did Western civilization become a negative?”

He added: “They start piling on with innuendo and it was just grossly unfair, but Steve and everybody I hear all agree. We condemn white supremacy. There is no place for that. And I still yearn for the day when Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream becomes reality." 

Gohmert said he raised concerns about the decision to strip King of his committee assignments in a meeting with Republican colleagues on Tuesday. He said he is not the only one who has raised concerns privately about the situation.

“He was not given due process,” Gohmert said. “And, in fact, if our minority leader (Kevin) McCarthy had gotten the same lack of due process against him previously, I can assure you he would not have been majority leader and he would not now be minority leader.

“He didn’t give Steve King the same kind of fairness that he got over allegations against him,” Gohmert said. “Also, he took the word of the New York Times reporter.”

King has been a divisive figure for years. In 2016, he asked on a talk show whether any subgroup of people had contributed as much to humanity aside from those from Western Europe and Western civilization, prompting a journalist to ask if he was referring to “white people.” He wrote on Twitter in 2016, “We can’t restore our civilization with somebody else’s babies.”

Gohmert has defended Republican colleagues before. He campaigned in Alabama for U.S. Senate candidate Roy Moore after the candidate had been accused of sexual misconduct with several underage girls; and he spoke in support of U.S. Rep. Jim Jordan, who was criticized over whether he knew about sexual abuse at Ohio State University.

“It’s rather unfortunate,” Gohmert said of the situation with King. “I think McCarthy’s overreaction and lack of due process actually will hurt the Republican Party.” He said he still considers King a friend.

U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz appointed King to co-chair a national committee for his 2016 presidential campaign, and King said Cruz called him during the November 2018 election cycle to offer words of support. However, Cruz put more distance between himself and the congressman recently.

“What Steve King said was stupid,” he said on NBC’s "Meet the Press." “It was stupid, it was hurtful, it was wrong, and he needs to stop. I think all of us ought to be united, regardless of party, in saying, white supremacism, white nationalism, is hatred.

“It is bigotry. It is evil. It is wrong. And I think we need that clarity. And I'm certainly going to urge everyone to provide that clarity,” Cruz said.

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Yeah, the cartels with all their money and influence, no way they could overcome a fucking wall. Give me one example of drugs coming in other than walking across a wall-less border? [reads literally hundreds of articles about tunnels and drones and boats and planes and helicopters and bribery and violence].  Fake news bro!  Checkmate libtards! Build that wall! Build that wall!

Don't forget the subs:

narco_sub_01.jpg

narco-submarine-drugs-colombia-672x372.j

sddefault.jpg#404_is_fine

49 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I don’t know.  Something went wrong in the Clinton years with Borris Yeltsin to allow a guy like Putin to rise to power.  We dropped the ball in those years. 

Hindsight is 20/20 and anything we might have done would have likely been undermined eventually. 

Fucking Russians 

Or maybe, just maybe, Russia is going to always revert back to the same country they always were, regardless of whether it’s a member of royalty or a former KGB agent running things. 

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Or maybe, just maybe, Russia is going to always revert back to the same country they always were, regardless of whether it’s a member of royalty or a former KGB agent running things. 

That’s basically what I said

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

3 hours ago, Rimbo said:

To be fair, NYTimes had an article about a Texas Congressman who has stood rigidly against Trump's wall because, get this, he (1) actually is from a border town and knows the wall is a stupid way to ensure border security, and (2) considers his constituents his "boss" and not the GOP leadership.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/17/us/politics/will-hurd-border-wall-trump.html

Listening to this on The Daily podcast right now.  Hurd seems to be a reasonable person.  He'll be a democrat by 2020.

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I'm sure they'll come up with some great ideas for a bipartisan solution.

Seriously, what's the point of this? They are captive to trumps stupid fucking wall. This shutdown will never end because we have a child for a president.

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Serious question:  how can the government ORDER people to come back to work without pay?  And why would they respond?

Because we'll get fired if we dont come back.

Bored-posted from my desk at work because I'm only allowed to do certain tasks during a shutdown and have run out of things to do.

• Like 1

Just now, 'stache said:

Seriously, what's the point of this? They are captive to trumps stupid fucking wall. This shutdown will never end because we have a child for a president.

They’re probably eating babies, bathing in the blood of virgins while they listen to the sweet sounds of puppies crying. 

Sorry, too much Qanon for me.

47 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Shutting down the government because scary mexicans -- totally legal, totally cool.

Shutting down the government to do something about actual mass shootings killing actual bunches of people - preposterous.

Shutting down the government to do something about the fact that an estimated 45,000 people a year die because of insufficient health insurance -- silliness.

In short, we'll shut down the government over tiny threats that are largely imagined and manufactured, but not real problems that actually kill people.  Checkmate, libs!

"The solution to this is a negotiation between the one person in the country who can sign something into law, the president of the United States, and our Democratic colleagues," McConnell said Tuesday when he blocked a House bill as well as a piece of legislation to fund DHS through Feb. 8. 

what a fuckstick. the fucking congress can supersede the fucking president and he knows it. he's being completely disingenuous. 

18 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

what a fuckstick. the fucking congress can supersede the fucking president and he knows it. he's being completely disingenuous. 

Yep.  These motherfuckers need to watch some Schoolhouse Rock or something.  This whole “it’s a waste of time to pass something that will get vetoed” rationale is 100% nonsense.  There isn’t one GOP senator that actually believes that, but they throw it out there for idiots to eat up.

*  See, example:  GOP lege passing like 60 bills to repeal the ACA, knowing that it would be vetoed.  Didn’t matter then to be “wasting time”.

I really hope the next time the Right talks about Executive overreach and how Congress is seeding too much authority to the President, we remind them of how Pussy Turtle bent over for Trump whenever it was deemed necessary. That pussy won't put shit up for a vote because he knows he'll lose. But that's fine, the shit is going to come to a head really fast. If I'm a TSA worker in Atlanta and this shutdown is still going on when the Super Bowl is in town, I collude with others to all call in sick the Monday after the Super Bowl and shut that airport down. It's already a shitty airport to get through. Make it worse. Make it painful for all the media, fans, and NFL executives trying to get out of Atlanta. 3 hour waits to get through security should do the trick. Make it ESPN's top story. 

Edited by mdmost

53 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I really hope the next time the Right talks about Executive overreach and how Congress is seeding too much authority to the President, we remind them of how Pussy Turtle bent over for Trump whenever it was deemed necessary. That pussy won't put shit up for a vote because he knows he'll lose. But that's fine, the shit is going to come to a head really fast. If I'm a TSA worker in Atlanta and this shutdown is still going on when the Super Bowl is in town, I collude with others to all call in sick the Monday after the Super Bowl and shut that airport down. It's already a shitty airport to get through. Make it worse. Make it painful for all the media, fans, and NFL executives trying to get out of Atlanta. 3 hour waits to get through security should do the trick. Make it ESPN's top story. 

ATL ATC should get blue flu thursday through monday.

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

If they are meeting with him, they are trying to find a way out, and he’s meeting with them for the same reason.  

Pretty soon, if it’s not already happening, there are going to be some powerful lobbyists screaming at Turtle that their clients (government contractors, all the related industries, etc.) are losing serious money.   Plenty of government contracting outside of the DOD that is being seriously harmed by the shutdown, and they are probably letting the folks in Congress know.  

Have a friend at a tech company whom I didn’t realize was doing government contract work. His company is big enough that it’s absorbing the loss for the short-term, but he just got the notice that if the shutdown continues, he better find another job fast. 

So it’s not just he 800,000 federal employees.  

If they are meeting with him, they are trying to find a way out, and he’s meeting with them for the same reason.  

Pretty soon, if it’s not already happening, there are going to be some powerful lobbyists screaming at Turtle that their clients (government contractors, all the related industries, etc.) are losing serious money.   Plenty of government contracting outside of the DOD that is being seriously harmed by the shutdown, and they are probably letting the folks in Congress know.  

Have a friend at a tech company whom I didn’t realize was doing government contract work. His company is big enough that it’s absorbing the loss for the short-term, but he just got the notice that if the shutdown continues, he better find another job fast. 

So it’s not just he 800,000 federal employees.  

Nope.

But you seem to think that Trump will wake up one day and be a rational actor.

He walks, talks, and acts like a three year old. Three year olds are not rational actors.

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Nope.

But you seem to think that Trump will wake up one day and be a rational actor.

He walks, talks, and acts like a three year old. Three year olds are not rational actors.

I didn’t say Trump was directing it.  The shutdown is good for Trump in his mind, especially since he can’t seem to think past more than a few days in advance. 

I think they are trying to find a way out though, and who knows, maybe they told him they would see about getting him his money.    The shutdown is bad for McConnell and probably bad for Kush’s agenda as well. 

The lobbyists have got to be starting to heavily work Congress. There’s something like $150 billion+ in government contracts affected in the short term, not counting Defense contracts that are funded. 

28 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Oh, I think it's clear that people are going to die.

It's also clear that Trump won't care -- he'll just amp things up, blame the dems even more, and continue.  Trump doesn't care if literally every single American dies, so long as there's someone, somewhere, remaining who can tell him that he's the awesomest at presidenting ever.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Of course, but how many? 

Not to be dismissive of possible deaths due to the shutdown, but about 1,300 people die each day from tobacco.

Point: people only give a shit about deaths when it serves their political purpose, not b/c of public health concerns.

1 minute ago, Asithappens said:

Of course, but how many? 

Not to be dismissive of possible deaths due to the shutdown, but about 1,300 people die each day from tobacco.

Point: people only give a shit about deaths when it serves their political purpose, not b/c of public health concerns.

Extra deaths.  Deaths that wouldn't have otherwise happened.  The fact that I have to explain such an elementary concept means that we're fucked already.

2 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

And just about every death due to tobacco is an "extra death".

I stand by my point. 

Well, you're standing on Moron Peak on Stupid Island, so there's that.

Fucking seriously.  Deaths that wouldn't have happened but for the government shutdown.  You know, the thing we're actually talking about.  Godalmighty, what a stupid fucking conversation.

• Like 7

Not only do the Rs have zero understanding of what the shutdown is doing to an average American family. They don't give a shit.

People are already at the tipping point. They don't know how they'll pay for their meds, mortgage, rent, etc.

Edited by retread

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Fucking seriously.  Deaths that wouldn't have happened but for the government shutdown.  You know, the thing we're actually talking about.  Godalmighty, what a stupid fucking conversation.

People die all the time. Therefore all deaths are equal.

Cancer kills a bunch of people every year. So if some people die in a plane crash because federal inspectors weren't there to maintain the safety of the aircraft, what's the big deal? People die all the time. 

Duh. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Right, and what's the actual number? 

Look, we have lots and lots of deaths every day b/c of a lot of preventable things: smoking, malaria, obesity. 

I hate that there will be additional deaths (which may contradict your name calling, but that seems to be your MO). My point is how many, look at the numbers, and spare me your angst if there are 25 more deaths a day b/c of the shutdown when there are thousands and thousands of daily deaths that happen b/c we don't take appropriate action on other topics.

But selective outrage is the norm. Especially when it becomes political. But let's get all pissed off over these marginal deaths b/c of the shutdown but not say anything about the others. 

And, Fuck Trump and all those who voted for him.

That's all.

1 minute ago, Asithappens said:

Right, and what's the actual number? 

Look, we have lots and lots of deaths every day b/c of a lot of preventable things: smoking, malaria, obesity. 

I hate that there will be additional deaths (which may contradict your name calling, but that seems to be your MO). My point is how many, look at the numbers, and spare me your angst if there are 25 more deaths a day b/c of the shutdown when there are thousands and thousands of daily deaths that happen b/c we don't take appropriate action on other topics.

But selective outrage is the norm. Especially when it becomes political. But let's get all pissed off over these marginal deaths b/c of the shutdown but not say anything about the others. 

And, Fuck Trump and all those who voted for him.

That's all.

When you take action X that will almost certainly have direct consequence Y, which includes death, yeah, there's real culpability there.  You don't get to jump on on stage, strut about how you shutdown the government, and then disclaim responsibility for the direct and immediately connectable damage that you caused.

As to what and how we should prioritize policy concerns, I couldn't agree more.  Which emphasizes the stupidity of Trump's shutdown even more.  As far as safety, immigration is WAY down our list of concerns.  Reforming healthcare would and should be policy concern #1.  That has more direct effect on human life than almost any other policy matter in this country.  Just as one easy example.

But, instead, our priority is MUSLIM BAN (I'm more likely to die of a snakebite while riding a rollercoaster than I am to be killed by a muslim terrorist in the US these days), and "WALL!!!" (Same thing about the roller coaster snakebite, except sub in MS-13).

And to protect against those largely imaginary threats, he creates a REAL one.  That's the twisted fucking logic of Trumpland.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It's also clear that Trump won't care -- he'll just amp things up, blame the dems even more, and continue.  Trump doesn't care if literally every single American dies, so long as there's someone, somewhere, remaining who can tell him that he's the awesomest at presidenting ever.

So you're saying Trump's Shutdown is a death panel in and of itself to cull the sick and the poor from their government assistance?

Shit, West Virginia might look like a Walking Dead wasteland soon.

11 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Can Cocaine Mitch introduce a limited CR to fund FAA?  Seems like that should be a no brainer. 

That's not really how appropriations work, it's sitting in the Transportation/HUD measure.  McConnell could bring it to the floor right now and fund just DOT/HUD if he wanted.  Plus, traditionally, appropriations originate in the house. The Senate usually does it's own measures, then uses that language to modify the house measures.

McConnell is the key to everything. Until he's willing to force the President's hand, we will stay at an impasse.  At this point, I think Brisket is right, it's gonna take a hideous tragedy, like a plan falling out of the sky, or the economy going into recession for this thing to break.  Once McConnell feels like his ruby red senators are at threat, not just his pink states, he'll put a measure on the floor with a veto proof majority.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Like 1

• Pancho changed the title to 2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story