2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story

horn4life

8 minutes ago, ruitxn said:

You actually think Trump may be thinking to that depth?  He is only concerned about having to defend a totally undoable campaign promise in the 2020 debates.

No clue what he is thinking (if I were him, I would be thinking of a way to tap Karen McDougal again).  At the end of the day we are where we are because he is in the White House, and I listed the 4 possibilities that can happen next (or we just sit where we are at my first option.) 

1)Keep the government closed

2)Send him a bill that he will sign

3)Send him a bill that he will veto but has the support to over-ride in both houses

4)Impeach/Convict and remove him and start over with Pence.

Edited by Whitman

Just now, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

See, your response is exactly what I'm talking about. You guys all think that republicanism is not for people. Now, you tell me, what about fiscal responsibility, a strong national defense, and a limited government is so unappealing to people? We are not a monolith; we come in all shapes and sizes.

3 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

My friend was thinking the same thing. 

Also, re floor.  It occurs to me the floor doesn’t look much different than this.  30% of people love him and you are going to see 30+ in every poll. The issue is those other 70 become both more and more likely to vote against him and more and more likely to turn out to vote.  So we get the 2016 election (51-49) versus 2018 wave (54-46) versus historic blowout potential (65-35) without his actual approval changing much. 

Firstly:  I'm a CPA, the time to commit tax fraud is never, but since audits lag a year or two behind filing, it's the stuff that was filed 2015-2016 that's going to get the short shrift here.

Secondly:  Floor - yeah, the 30-odd percent bottom we're at now hasn't budged him, and like you said, it's probably not going to go lower so......he gives no fucks.

Wildcard is the perception of the Congress-critters that are holding this shit up.  It could all be over tomorrow if they did their fucking jobs.  If Trump isn't going to budge, and the 'pubs aren't going to stop clinging to his pant legs, then.....what?

2 minutes ago, M12BH said:

Wildcard is the perception of the Congress-critters that are holding this shit up.  It could all be over tomorrow if they did their fucking jobs.  If Trump isn't going to budge, and the 'pubs aren't going to stop clinging to his pant legs, then.....what?

1)Keep the government closed

2)Send him a bill that he will sign

3)Send him a bill that he will veto but has the support to over-ride in both houses

4)Impeach/Convict and remove him and start over with Pence.

4 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

See, your response is exactly what I'm talking about. You guys all think that republicanism is not for people. Now, you tell me, what about fiscal responsibility, a strong national defense, and a limited government is so unappealing to people? We are not a monolith; we come in all shapes and sizes.

You show me where the party of Trump does any one of those things?

2 minutes ago, M12BH said:

The only thing that will get the pubs to budge is  their corporate donors, their base saying enough.  Most likely scenario for this is air travel becoming a nightmare.

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

At least we were successful in our objective of creating a self-governing republic unlike the Arab Spring. I’d be down with Yellow Vest like protests sans the burning cars and broken glass. This bullshit shutdown needs to end. Having the TSA checkpoint at Terminal B at IAH shut down because they weren’t TSA workers to staff it because they aren’t getting paid is something that should only happen in a 3rd world shithole and not the fucking US of A

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

2 hours ago, GSU&UT said:

Yes, let's shrink the government by causing an insane amount of chaos that wouldn't affect me at all, for I am an intelligent small-government minded person!

That's hyperbole for sure. I mean people have to wait in longer lines for TSA, but what is the chaos that you're talking about? 

"we might need to treat our employees better than forcing them to work without pay." Yes, can't deny that people will feel disenfranchised by this. 

2 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

That's hyperbole for sure. I mean people have to wait in longer lines for TSA, but what is the chaos that you're talking about? 

"we might need to treat our employees better than forcing them to work without pay." Yes, can't deny that people will feel disenfranchised by this. 

Do you seriously think the worst part that's happening right now is that people are just having to wait longer in lines at airports?

47 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

With the IRS shutdown and fewer, if any, auditors in place, would this be a good year to commit tax fraud?

Asking for a friend.

The SEC is also currently working with a skeleton crew - so if you wanna go that route, you can go all out.

37 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Yeah that really worked out well for those countries. 

So strange.

Iconoclast wants to overthrow the Iranian government.

But doesn't like how it ended up for people in Arab countries that tried to overthrow their government.

So strange.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

No, but its not chaos either.

People not being able to afford rent, medicine, basic goods (LOL bread lines in modern America) is fairly chaotic my dude. Or do federal employees not count as humans?

33 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

something that should only happen in a 3rd world shithole and not the fucking US of A 

The sooner you realize the fucking US of A is a 3rd world shithole, the sooner it all makes sense.

We have people who can't afford medical treatment that use GoFundMe as their insurance - that's 3rd world shithole level.

• Like 3

Not to mention that as more and more TSA workers call in sick, it makes the job that much more painful for the remaining workers that show up.  Longer lines.  Unruly passengers.   Gives more of a motivation for those workers to call in sick tomorrow.  The problem gets worse by the day.
I also guarantee that as more workers call in sick, there is less likelihood that they would face any disciplinary action once the shutdown is over.  You can't punish 50% of your workforce.

Perhaps. But I flew today, and I can say two things were quite apparent. 1) The lines were longer than normal, and 2) everybody in line was extremely nice to the TSA agents. Everyone seemed to be going out of their way to be extra polite.

Just now, relapse98 said:

So strange.

Iconoclast wants to overthrow the Iranian government.

But doesn't like how it ended up for people in Arab countries that tried to overthrow their government.

So strange.

When you think of Icono, do you think of intellectual rigor?

Just now, GSU&UT said:

People not being able to afford rent, medicine, basic goods (LOL bread lines in modern America) is fairly chaotic my dude. Or do federal employees not count as humans?

They are human, I feel sorry for them, but they aren't forced to stay, and they can still side gigs if they really want to wait it out. It's not as good, but better than nothing. 

Just now, workswithseed said:

They are human, I feel sorry for them, but they aren't forced to stay, and they can still side gigs if they really want to wait it out. It's not as good, but better than nothing. 

Are you a troll or just willfully ignorant? Many of these federal employees are legally not allowed to have side jobs and aren't legally allowed to collect unemployment, they will be forced to quit if they need money so that they can look for a new job.

43 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

At least we were successful in our objective of creating a self-governing republic unlike the Arab Spring. I’d be down with Yellow Vest like protests sans the burning cars and broken glass. This bullshit shutdown needs to end. Having the TSA checkpoint at Terminal B at IAH shut down because they weren’t TSA workers to staff it because they aren’t getting paid is something that should only happen in a 3rd world shithole and not the fucking US of A

Go Team R!    #MAGA Bitches!

1 minute ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

At least we were successful in our objective of creating a self-governing republic unlike the Arab Spring

I do so love this myth.

We created something that in just a few decades, descended into this:

civil-war-dead-bodies.jpg

620,000 Americans dead in that one.  A shitload more than in the Arab Spring, all countries combined.

We're plenty shithole.  In no small part because we are full of complete idiots like Icono.

5 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

Are you a troll or just willfully ignorant? Many of these federal employees are legally not allowed to have side jobs and aren't legally allowed to collect unemployment, they will be forced to quit if they need money so that they can look for a new job.

I mean if you got bills to pay and mouths to feed, would you give a shit if you got paid illegally? Its a risk, but it's better than not being paid. 

5 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Hey, I'm just giving the argument from the other side. There is nothing us Democrats love more than those federal programs and spending and propping up the economy with government spending!

Like, an ineffectual wall that'd take 40 years to build?

5 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Hey, I'm just giving the argument from the other side. There is nothing us Democrats love more than those federal programs and spending and propping up the economy with government spending!

But you are okay with this..????

As a candidate, Donald Trump promised to get rid of the entire national debt “over a period of eight years.” When this promise was made, the national debt stood at $19 trillion; it has since risen to $21.7 trillion. In the fiscal year ending September 30, it grew by $779 billion, up 17 percent from $666 billion in fiscal 2017. This year, after the Trump tax cuts take full effect, another $1 trillion worth of government IOUs will be issued.

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I do so love this myth.

We created something that in just a few decades, descended into this:

civil-war-dead-bodies.jpg

620,000 Americans dead in that one.  A shitload more than in the Arab Spring, all countries combined.

We're plenty shithole.  In no small part because we are full of complete idiots like Icono.

Compare post-Civil War South with post-WWII Germany.  Mercy and hugs brought us 150 years of race to the bottom ignorance.  Hangings got the Germans straightened out in a hurry.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steamboat1874 said:

But you are okay with this..????

As a candidate, Donald Trump promised to get rid of the entire national debt “over a period of eight years.” When this promise was made, the national debt stood at $19 trillion; it has since risen to $21.7 trillion. In the fiscal year ending September 30, it grew by $779 billion, up 17 percent from $666 billion in fiscal 2017. This year, after the Trump tax cuts take full effect, another $1 trillion worth of government IOUs will be issued.

Party of fiscal responsibility strikes again

2 hours ago, immamac said:

It would be cool if Senators and House Reps did their fucking jobs and kept funding lapses from happening to begin with.

if only the senate had passed a funding bill 100-0 that would have kept a funding lapse from happening, which also passed the house.  darn, why didn't they do that?

2 hours ago, immamac said:

It would also be cool if someone fucking drafted some type of immigration reform legislation

if only such legislation were possible.  someone back in, oh, i dunno, 2013, could have drafted something like that and gotten it through the senate 68-32.  but, alas!

2 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Now, you tell me, what about fiscal responsibility, a strong national defense, and a limited government is so unappealing to people?

based on the last 40 years, republicans find fiscal responsibility completely unappealing (when they aren't demonstrating that they have no idea what it means).  so maybe you should tell me. 

and, arguably, the last two of the three are at odds with each other. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Compare post-Civil War South with post-WWII Germany.  Mercy and hugs brought us 150 years of race to the bottom ignorance.  Hangings got the Germans straightened out in a hurry.

Reconstruction was way too lenient with regard to the antebellum ruling class. The economic beneficiaries of slavery should have never been allowed back into American politics. The Democratic Party should have been dismantled. The failures of Reconstruction exist in America to this very day

• Like 1

• Pancho changed the title to 2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story