2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story

horn4life

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

Let’s say he drags it out, and millions lose SNAP benefits, air travel shuts down, tax refunds are delayed, large businesses relying on federal contracts continue to lose money, etc. .   That becomes a significant crisis for those R Senators up in 2020, not to mention R Representatives.  

He loses the support of enough Republican Senators to make any impeachment preceding dicey for him.  

It’s already a crisis for senate Rs.

Assuming Trump doesn’t fully capitulate, I don’t see any way out of this other than a veto proof majority. 

Of course this could have all been avoided if Paul Ryan just passed the original bipartisan CR instead of following orders from Trump.

We must not forget Paul Ryan’s final act of cowardice.

• Like 2

Ah, yes, the idiotic notion that government workers "do nothing" and are "expendable" and "are making bank."

"But how are they suffering?!"

Maybe if they hadn't spent money on iPhones, they could afford health coverage and food!

By the way, everyone thinks Trump is running in 2020 and he’s going to fundraise like he is to swindle the suckers one last time on the way out the door.  

Trump’s final con job is well underway.

I think Trump hates his job and feels like a prisoner compared to the flexible freedom he had as a private citizen. 

He does love his rallies though and nomadically grifting across the county so maybe he does run, with the intention of losing.

Or maybe he anoints a successor like Lindsey Graham or Rand Paul.

Trump loves the power of his influence and not so much the power of his responsibilities/duties.

Just because Trump wouldn’t be president doesn’t mean he loses all of his political power.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s already a crisis for senate Rs.

It’s nearing a crisis for those up in 2020.   If they voted today and Trump allowed it to end, the crisis is mostly adverted and will be mostly forgotten (Mueller, etc. will overshadow it between now and then)   

2-3 more weeks and no end in sight and it will be a full-blown crisis for them, with little recovery politically before 2020   

It’s close enough right now, that Turtle is rolling the dice with today’s votes.   I wouldn’t be surprised if some Republicans voted yes on both bills today, on the off-chance Turtle doesn’t allow another vote for a while.  

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

By the way, everyone thinks Trump is running in 2020 and he’s going to fundraise like he is to swindle the suckers one last time on the way out the door.  

Trump’s final con job is well underway.

I think Trump hates his job and feels like a prisoner compared to the flexible freedom he had as a private citizen. 

He does love his rallies though and nomadically grifting across the county so maybe he does run, with the intention of losing.

Or maybe he anoints a successor like Lindsey Graham or Rand Paul.

Trump loves the power of his influence and not so much the power of his responsibilities/duties.

Just because Trump wouldn’t be president doesn’t necessarily mean he still couldn’t be a powerful political force.

Yeah,  he gets sudden bone spurs of the heart or something and resigns for health reasons this year. He will try be be Purin to Pence's Medeved.

5 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Or maybe he anoints a successor like Lindsey Graham

We are not progressive enough as a country to elect somebody like him.  We like to think we are, but we only recently elected a black guy, and nearly a woman.  It’s going to take another 20 years or more to get to that point.  

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

If you exclude the falling poll numbers, what incentive does Trump have to reopen the government? 

None. His bigger risk is to open the government without the wall, which is now gospel to trumpkins (i.e., the entire republican party). The trumpkins want that wall, or more specifically, they don't want "that bitch Pelosi" to win. If the government opens without a wall, Pelosi wins, because that's all politics is anymore, winning and losing, and compromise is losing. This country sucks and I'm sick of it. Trump will win again by the way unless he caves on this stupid fucking wall nonsense.

2 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

What does this mean in practical terms...i.e. impact on the government shutdown?

Nothing today.  It's political theater.

Now, if something totally unforeseen happens (example: the HR clean bill without a wall passes with 65 votes) then it would go to President Dipshit for him to sign or veto.

Edited by Francisco 2.0

Southwest Airlines announced they’ve already lost $15 million due to the shutdown.   Now magnify that across many companies.  And as Js1 said, Walmart will scream bloody murder if SNAP dries up  

Are the executives and lobbyists of these companies sitting around saying “hang in there Donnie, we love Wall, we support Wall!”?

No, they give no shits about Wall, they want the government open.  Are they threatening Senators with diverting donations to their opponents, both primary and general?  Probably not just yet.  But give this another month and they will be. Hell, just a few weeks depending on the company. 

Travel/aerospace industry alone could run a train on Senators up in 2020 if you start seeing shutdowns. 

To me, the best part about this is how he continues to think he can get one over on Ole Nancy.

This lady grew up in Baltimore politics, survived a crushing loss of her majority and rose up to gain control of the House 8 years later.  She loves this stuff.

Trump folding on the SOTU speech was probably his best political option.  Pushing harder on the issue or doubling down would have likely backfired and hurt him more politically.

Of course he could have avoided the fight all together by declaring he wasn’t doing the SOFU during the shutdown from the beginning.

But he’s a fucking idiot.

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Is the whole damn family employed by the white house? Who gives a flying fuck what the girl married to the retarded son of the pumpkin says?

Oh, and that's bad optics Lara. Very bad.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

amazing that they can't come up with a line that pins the blame on the Dems on why the federal workers are being used as pawns by Nancy Pelosi.    Trump and team shouldn't even make it about the wall in public statements.  

(FYI I put the shutdown blame on Trump but his team should have better messaging then this. Politics 101.)

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

amazing that they can't come up with a line that pins the blame on the Dems on why the federal workers are being used as pawns by Nancy Pelosi.    Trump and team shouldn't even make it about the wall in public statements.  

(FYI I put the shutdown blame on Trump but his team should have better messaging then this. Politics 101.)

Yeah, this is F- work.  But they backed themselves in the corner with Trump's televised "I'm proud to shut it down" bit.  Still though, a move to "I'll reopen it for one month so everyone can get paid and give us time to negotiate" would be better than "You workers not getting paid isn't so bad, is it?"

Admittedly I know very little about federal govt appropriations but can funds be appropriated now but legislated to not be spent until a future year?  I wonder if a compromise for both sides could a few concessions, including the $5B wall, but they don't take effect until 2021.  Then both sides can campaign on it, including potentially stopping it, in 2020.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

It already has.  Force 10 from Navarone-style, the charges in the dam have been set off.  Now, it's just waiting for the structure to collapse.  It may take some time.  But we're committed.

Which is why we should probably start thinking about what comes afterwards.

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Which is why we should probably start thinking about what comes afterwards.

This would be an interesting discussion. Will we be a failed state under military control or under the boot of a tin-pot dictator? 

If Twitter removed Trump I think it would be the single best thing for our country that any one group could do. 

Instead of being able to so easily dissiminate misinformation and outright lies unchallenged, you would need the Whitehouse to answer actual questions.  There is a reason the Trump Whitehouse has had the fewest press briefings in Presidential history. They simply cannnt handle being asked actual questions, to which they must reply.  Actually they don't have to answer, as we have seen for most of the questions that are the least bit nuanced. But that it is good for the American people to see the inability of the Trump Whitehouse to provide actual answers to most every question asked.

I know it's a dream because... well... twitter profit.  But it would move our country forward dramatically by removing a child's megaphone.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Wasn't that the theory during his 2016 run?  Boy, we sure showed him.

I still think he had no intention of winning in 2016 and was more about publicity and branding so he could enrich himself. When the polls started going his way his ego took over and he realized he could enrich himself even more if he held that office, and people would worship him (hence his love for dictators and echo chamber "rallies"). I think he's all in on being chief executive and wants to expand his own powers while the dickless GOP stands by and lets him do it.

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

If Twitter removed Trump I think it would be the single best thing for our country that any one group could do. 

Instead of being able to so easily dissiminate misinformation and outright lies unchallenged, you would need the Whitehouse to answer actual questions.  There is a reason the Trump Whitehouse has had the fewest press briefings in Presidential history. They simply cannnt handle being asked actual questions, to which they must reply.  Actually they don't have to answer, as we have seen for most of the questions that are the least bit nuanced. But that it is good for the American people to see the inability of the Trump Whitehouse to provide actual answers to most every question asked.

I know it's a dream because... well... twitter profit.  But it would move our country forward dramatically by removing a child's megaphone.

Pos rep but I respectfully disagree.  I’d give twitter points for the move if they did it in the name of public health but I don’t think it would move America to a better place as a democracy.

We as a people need to become better at defending ourselves from weaponized idiots like Trump.  We shouldn’t blindly expect the tech companies to protect the public from domestic bad actors.

Trump’s twitter feed is almost like cathartic basic training for the American people in the new digital battlefield.   We’re not going to get anywhere by suppressing the voices of our elected officials, no matter how nefarious.  We as a people should learn to detect bullshit better and improve out decision making. 

Democracy is messy, it’s combative, and it’s all out in the open.  

It’s on us to make the most of it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I still think he had no intention of winning in 2016 and was more about publicity and branding so he could enrich himself. When the polls started going his way his ego took over and he realized he could enrich himself even more if he held that office, and people would worship him (hence his love for dictators and echo chamber "rallies"). I think he's all in on being chief executive and wants to expand his own powers while the dickless GOP stands by and lets him do it.

I think he wanted to win but he had no expectation it would happen.  When he actually won, you could tell his entire short term plans were upended. 

3 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Looks like the clean CR bill will be 50-50 at least..... Be funny if it got 3-4 more defections.

Collins be like “see I’m a moderate!” So everyone forgets her Kavanaugh vote 

• Like 1

• Pancho changed the title to 2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story